CSWIFT at Wilmington Charter (11/3/12)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Ravi
Lulu

CSWIFT at Wilmington Charter (11/3/12)

Post by Ravi »

Update: We will have registration from 8:15 to 9:00 with round 1 starting shortly after. Teams may purchase pizza, soda, candy, and brownies at lunch in cafeteria and we guarantee the pizza will be on time this year.

Wilmington Charter is proud to announce it will be holding the Charter School of Wilmington Invitational Fall Tournament (CSWIFT) on Saturday November 3, 2012. The tournament will follow standard NAQT format. We will use IS-120 for its Varsity division which is open to all players and IS-117A for the JV division which is open to freshmen and sophomores as well as any upperclassmen who have played quiz bowl for less than one year.

Fees:

1st team: $60
Each subsequent team: $50
Working Buzzer System: -$10
Moderator: -$10
Each 100 miles traveled (calculated using Google maps to Wilmington, DE): -$10
Minimum cost per team: $40

Fees can be made as a check made out to "The Charter School of Wilmington" or as cash, turned in at the day of the tournament.
Registration

Registration can be done by posting on this thread or emailing the team at [email protected]. Any questions or invoice requests can also be made through the email.

Current Field (Varsity Teams, JV Teams, Moderators, Buzzers)

Wissahickon(0,2,1,1)
Phoenixville Area High School(1,1,0,0)
Longfellow MS(0,2,0,1)
GDS(1,1, 0,3)
Concord(1,0, 0,1)
Richard Montgomery(2,3,0,2)
Henderson(2,1,0,1)
"Forget Ties, We're Wearing Ascots"(0,1,0,0)
Walter Johnson(1,0,0,1)
AI(1,0,0,0)
Independence(0,1,0,3)

Total Varsity Teams: 9
Total JV Teams: 12
Total Buzzers: 13

Update: To remove the conflict with Centennial's tournament we have changed our JV set to 117A
Update 2: We are now Platinum certified by PACE meaning the top 25% will qualify for PACE-NSC and will receive at $20 discount for NSC registration
Last edited by Ravi on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Ravi Suba
Wilmington Charter '13
Berkeley '17
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Re: CSWIFT at Wilmington Charter (11/3/12)

Post by jonathanmarx »

Ravi wrote:We will use IS-120 for its Varsity division which is open to all players and IS-121A for the JV division which is open to freshmen and sophomores as well as any upperclassmen who have played quiz bowl for less than one year.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13418 - this tournament is using the same A-set. We'd love to send younger teams to both, so is there any chance you can try to work with Centennial and cover two different A-sets (I think 117-A is unused in the DC metro area) rather than overlapping on the same one?

That being said, we'll almost definitely bring 1-2 varsity and some number of JV teams, especially if the set gets worked out.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Ravi
Lulu

Post by Ravi »

jonathanmarx wrote: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13418 - this tournament is using the same A-set. We'd love to send younger teams to both, so is there any chance you can try to work with Centennial and cover two different A-sets (I think 117-A is unused in the DC metro area) rather than overlapping on the same one?

That being said, we'll almost definitely bring 1-2 varsity and some number of JV teams, especially if the set gets worked out.
We have fixed this conflict by moving to 117-A. We hope your teams can make it. Whenever you can please tell us how many teams, buzzers and moderators you can bring.
Ravi Suba
Wilmington Charter '13
Berkeley '17
Ravi
Lulu

Post by Ravi »

bump 10char
Ravi Suba
Wilmington Charter '13
Berkeley '17
Pushkin's Beard
Lulu

Post by Pushkin's Beard »

GDS will definitely bring one Varsity Team, maybe one JV team, and 3 buzzers.
Noah Cowan
Georgetown Day School '15
roey
Lulu

Post by roey »

Ranney is interested in bringing 1-2 varsity teams, maybe a JV team, and likely no buzzers or moderators.
Roey Hadar
Ranney School '13, Georgetown University '17
President, Georgetown Quiz Bowl
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

SHP is interested in bringing 2-3 JV teams, 5 buzzers, and 1-2 moderators. More to follow early next week.
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

I'm guessing we'll have 1 varsity, 2 JV, 2 buzzers, no readers - but that's a guess. I'll have a much better idea (and send in registration) by the end of the week.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

Make that 2 varsity, 3 JV - and there's a very good chance it'll stay that way.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

We would love to participate but we have already played Set IS 120 at Kellenberg's LIFT last week. Still, we wish everyone good luck and a good time.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Ravi
Lulu

Post by Ravi »

Since the tournament is this Saturday, can I get confirmation from Seton Hall, Mountain Lakes and Quince Orchard on if they are coming and how many teams they are bringing? Thanks.
Ravi Suba
Wilmington Charter '13
Berkeley '17
Lawrence Simon
Lulu

Post by Lawrence Simon »

Quince Orchard will not be attending this tournament, unfortunately. But we still wish everyone competing the best of luck.
Lawrence Simon
Quince Orchard Class of '15
University of Virginia Class of '19
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Seton Hall is still closed due to the Hurricane. As such, we will not attend this Saturday. Best of luck to those who can still make it.
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
yellow7206
Wakka

Post by yellow7206 »

This is a change. Longfellow will only be sending two teams.
Eugene Huang, King of 109
Coach, Longfellow MS
Langley HS, 1989
Longfellow MS, 1985
Spring Hill Elem. 1983
roey
Lulu

Post by roey »

Our school is still closed and they will not let us come on Saturday, so Ranney will unfortunately not be able to attend. Good luck to everyone who will be there though.
Roey Hadar
Ranney School '13, Georgetown University '17
President, Georgetown Quiz Bowl
Off To See The Lizard
Wakka

Post by Off To See The Lizard »

Walter Johnson is attending with one varsity team and one buzzer system
Sameen Belal
Walter Johnson '14
New York University '18
Ravi
Lulu

Post by Ravi »

So as of now we have about 9 Varsity teams and about 12 JV teams. However I know that a good amount of teams cannot come because of damage caused by Hurricane Sandy and our conflict in packet set with LIFT. I am considering rescheduling this tournament because of this. If this were to be rescheduled it would probably be in February and it may end up using a different packet set(I'm looking at IS122 for Varsity and likely the same 117A for JV). Any opinions?
Ravi Suba
Wilmington Charter '13
Berkeley '17
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

122 is being used in March at Livingston in New Jersey, so that might not help the teams that had conflicts with LIFT.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Ravi
Lulu

Post by Ravi »

bt_green_warbler wrote:122 is being used in March at Livingston in New Jersey, so that might not help the teams that had conflicts with LIFT.
The only other regular IS level sets left are 124 which is being used at UD and 126 which I believe is reserved for state championships. We could run a tournament on an A level set with two divisions if teams would prefer that.
Ravi Suba
Wilmington Charter '13
Berkeley '17
Off To See The Lizard
Wakka

Ravi wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:122 is being used in March at Livingston in New Jersey, so that might not help the teams that had conflicts with LIFT.
We could run a tournament on an A level set with two divisions if teams would prefer that.
Do you mean in March or this weekend?
Sameen Belal
Walter Johnson '14
New York University '18
Ravi
Lulu

Post by Ravi »

In February/March, to accommodate teams who have already played or will play both IS 120 and 122 at different tournaments. I don't plan on changing the packet structure if the tournament is still held this Saturday since teams who have signed up have not played either packet yet.
Ravi Suba
Wilmington Charter '13
Berkeley '17
dollmi
Lulu

Post by dollmi »

Manheim Township would be interested in attending if it was a different day/packet. We traveled much farther to CMU to play IS 120 (with a partial team) because we have another tournament this Saturday.

The Lancaster-Lebanon League switched to NAQT questions, so you might have other teams from this area if you aren't on the same day as local tournaments.
Missy Doll-Osterhout
Coach, Manheim Township High School
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

If this tournament indeed moves to the spring, expect a different introductory set for the JV division (117A is one of the sets already in use in the Lancaster-Lebanon League).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

Ravi wrote:So as of now we have about 9 Varsity teams and about 12 JV teams. However I know that a good amount of teams cannot come because of damage caused by Hurricane Sandy and our conflict in packet set with LIFT. I am considering rescheduling this tournament because of this. If this were to be rescheduled it would probably be in February and it may end up using a different packet set(I'm looking at IS122 for Varsity and likely the same 117A for JV). Any opinions?
Considering we're bringing 5 teams, 2 of which are entirely made up of freshmen attending their first tournaments and whose parents are driving, we'd be seriously pissed if the tournament got canceled. But do what you have to do I guess... at the very least let us know by tomorrow so we can figure things out.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Pushkin's Beard
Lulu

Post by Pushkin's Beard »

GDS will be bringing one Varsity and one JV. We would be pretty upset if this tournament got cancelled. Not only because we wouldn't get to play quizbowl and can't really go to another tournament for a month, but also because our administration has been annoying about buses and will be really upset if we cancel another bus two days ahead of time.
Noah Cowan
Georgetown Day School '15
Off To See The Lizard
Wakka

Walter Johnson shares the same sentiments as RM and GDS. Please don't cancel the tournament
Sameen Belal
Walter Johnson '14
New York University '18
Ravi
Lulu

Post by Ravi »

Seeing the general sentiments on the forum, especially of the teams that have already registered. I can say with about 95% confidence that this tournament will be happening. I will consult the rest of my team but I doubt anything will change. We may consider running a second tournament in the Spring if there are any packets that no one in the region has claimed but CSWIFT will almost definitely be happening as scheduled.
Ravi Suba
Wilmington Charter '13
Berkeley '17
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Given the unusual circumstances with the hurricane, perhaps the tournament could be restructured with a single division? That would make one decent sized event for everybody, and i would imagine most coaches would understand the problems.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Ravi
Lulu

Post by Ravi »

Horned Screamer wrote:Given the unusual circumstances with the hurricane, perhaps the tournament could be restructured with a single division? That would make one decent sized event for everybody, and i would imagine most coaches would understand the problems.
I was considering this but if we turned it into an IS level set, it may be a bit hard for some of the newer players and if we turned it into an A level, some of the more experienced teams would likely get bored with the set. Of course if a sizable majority of teams want this to happen, we can definitely do it.
Ravi Suba
Wilmington Charter '13
Berkeley '17
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

Ravi wrote:
Horned Screamer wrote:Given the unusual circumstances with the hurricane, perhaps the tournament could be restructured with a single division? That would make one decent sized event for everybody, and i would imagine most coaches would understand the problems.
I was considering this but if we turned it into an IS level set, it may be a bit hard for some of the newer players and if we turned it into an A level, some of the more experienced teams would likely get bored with the set. Of course if a sizable majority of teams want this to happen, we can definitely do it.
This would be acceptable albeit not preferable... but if so, we would probably prefer to play the A-set for the sake of our freshmen - and we'd find a way to travel and hear 120 somewhere else.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Provided they both stay less than 10, is there anything wrong with just doing round-robins among both JV and Varsity? In most, but not all cases, the varsity teams end up beating the JV teams anyway.

Yes, in other years we were able to draw as many as 30 varsity teams. But those years might be gone as there are less Delaware teams than when the Comcast tournament existed.
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
ronmccoll
Kimahri

Post by ronmccoll »

Any idea for start and finish times? I'd like to inform my kids today if possible.

Thanks!
Ron McColl
Academic Team Advisor
Phoenixville Area HS
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Varsity Standings:

1. Richard Montgomery A
2. Richard Montgomery B
3. Walter Johnson
4. Henderson

Full Stats

I noticed that one of the RM B/Walter Johnson matches was missing some data. I will find that scoresheet and fix that tomorrow.

On the JV side, SQBS froze shortly after round 10 was input. I will reenter that lost data tomorrow and generate the report. Before the crash, we noticed that a scoresheet was missing for the "Roman Generals wearing Ascots" versus GDS B match. We looked around and in the classrooms, but no stray scoresheet could be found. Anyone who can provide any details about that game, please do so.
Bill Tressler,
mohanmal
Lulu

Post by mohanmal »

Yes, I moderated that match (GDS B vs. Roman Generals Wearing Ascots). I realize that I might have handed it to Andrew (so it may be hidden somewhere in the varsity sheets?). What I do remember from the match though, is that Roman Generals won by around 450 to 50. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Mohan Malhotra
The Independence School '12
Charter School of Wilmington '16
Hannibal
Lulu

Post by Hannibal »

As the captain of the second team in the aforementioned matchup(actually, you smashed together our team name and our pseudonyms into a single name), I can confirm that we beat GDS B by something between 450-50 and 400-100.

Thanks to Wilmington for a great tournament.

EDIT: edited for clarity
Tajin Rogers
Longfellow MS '10-'12
St. Anselm's '12-'13
GDS '13-
Off To See The Lizard
Wakka

Thanks to Charter for running a very smooth tournament, with minimum complications. We were really happy that we could get out as quickly as 4:30.

As a side note, could you please clarify exactly which teams qualified for HSNCT/NSC? Thanks!
Sameen Belal
Walter Johnson '14
New York University '18
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

I have made the correction to the varsity file. Please let me know if there are any other corrections to make before I send the file to NAQT.

JV Standings

There were 20 teams total at the tournament, so the top 3 varsity teams qualified to HSNCT. I encouraged the 4th place team, Henderson, to apply for a wildcard if they wanted to go.
Bill Tressler,
Hannibal
Lulu

Post by Hannibal »

In the JV game for AQNMCP vs Indpendence, the stats for Lucius Verus and Caius Marius appear to have been switched, given their PPG in the other games.

Edited for clarity.
Tajin Rogers
Longfellow MS '10-'12
St. Anselm's '12-'13
GDS '13-
Ravi
Lulu

Post by Ravi »

Off To See The Lizard wrote:As a side note, could you please clarify exactly which teams qualified for HSNCT/NSC? Thanks!
As Tressler said, the top three teams qualify for HSNCT meaning RM A, RM B and Walter Johnson have qualified. Since NSC takes the top 25% of teams, the teams that have qualified for HSNCT as well as Henderson A and GDS A have qualified for NSC.
Ravi Suba
Wilmington Charter '13
Berkeley '17
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Ravi wrote:
Off To See The Lizard wrote:As a side note, could you please clarify exactly which teams qualified for HSNCT/NSC? Thanks!
As Tressler said, the top three teams qualify for HSNCT meaning RM A, RM B and Walter Johnson have qualified. Since NSC takes the top 25% of teams, the teams that have qualified for HSNCT as well as Henderson A and GDS A have qualified for NSC.
For multi-division tournaments, PACE only counts the upper division in the number of teams:
NSC Qualification Guidelines wrote:For multi-division tournaments (e.g., a tournament with both Varsity and JV divisions) only the top division can qualify teams for the NSC. If the tournament is an affiliated tournament, 15% of the teams in the top bracket will qualify. Similarly, if the tournament is platinum certified, 25% of the teams in the top bracket will qualify. The number of teams playing in a lower bracket does not impact how many teams qualify in the top bracket.
Obviously, I don't speak for PACE, but I believe that only RM A and B have qualified for NSC from this tournament.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
mtp
Kimahri

Post by mtp »

The number of games played for Independence are incorrect. Christina Sullivan played 10 games. Alan Balu and Grace Gong played 5 games each.
Tina Palmer
The Independence School - Coach
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

All of the above concerns have been addressed.
Bill Tressler,