ANNOUNCEMENT: Penn-ance at Ohio State (10/27/2012)

Old college threads.
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

ANNOUNCEMENT: Penn-ance at Ohio State (10/27/2012)

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Hello everyone,

This is the official announcement for the Midwest mirror of Penn-ance, to be held on Saturday, October 27th, on OSU's beautiful Columbus Campus.

Questions: This tournament is being written by members of the team at the University of Pennsylvania. All questions will be power marked and no question will go past the 8th line (including bolding for power). The target difficulty is equivalent to MAGNI, the tournament that held this spot in the schedule last year.

The distribution we are using is as follows:
4/4 Literature (1/1 World and Other)
4/4 History
4/4 Science (1/1 Math and Other)
3/3 Arts
3/3 RMP
1/1 SS
1/1 Geography, CE, Trash, and Other

Each packet will also have a tiebreaker tossup and an extra bonus, each from literature, history, or science.

Eligibility: All teams participating in this tournament must consist entirely of students currently enrolled in a specific university of high school. Open teams are NOT allowed.

Fees (same as main site):
Base fee: $120 per team
Working buzzer discount: $10 each
Approved moderator discount: $15 each
Travel discount: $15 (more than 200 miles one way according to Google maps)

Registration: To register for this tournament, please e-mail me at [email protected]. Any questions regarding the tournament can be directed at me via that address as well.

Interested:
Bowling Green

Field:
Michigan (4)
Chicago (3)
Case Western (1)
Purdue (2)
Michigan State (1)
Louisville (2)
House (1)

TOTAL: 14

Location: Information as to where this tournament will be located will be provided as soon as our reservation is confirmed by the University.

Thank you!
Last edited by Rufous-capped Thornbill on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Penn-ance at Ohio State (10/27/2012)

Post by AKKOLADE »

Is this still happening?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Indeed it is.
Jarret Greene
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

I just sent an e-mail out to as many Midwest teams as I could find contact information for, but this tournament is three weeks away and we have no one signed up yet, which is weird for the Midwest. So please, sign up!
Jarret Greene
Ringil
Rikku

Post by Ringil »

We'll probably show up with 3+ teams, but I'll give you a better estimate closer to the actual date.
Libo
Washington '14, Michigan '13, Troy High School '09
tracyclee
Lulu

Post by tracyclee »

Chicago will bring 3-5 teams. We'll know for sure later.
Tracy Lee
Arcadia High School '09
Chicago '13
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

We're bringing at least one team, but likely not more than that. We'll also let you know for certain as the date gets closer.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

I will be extremely surprised if we do not have any teams, and equally surprised if we have more than two.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
wschosta
Kimahri

Post by wschosta »

Purdue will be there with 2 teams.

Cuyahoga Falls '10
Purdue '14
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Still a week to sign up for this tournament!
Jarret Greene
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I don't think Kentucky has enough money to make this, unfortunately.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
sephirothrr
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by sephirothrr »

UofL would like to send one team. I tried to send an email to the address a few days ago, but no one responded.
Ramapriya
Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance
University of Louisville
duPont Manual High School
Birdofredum Sawin wrote: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pmIf you don't want to be regarded as a "raving lunatic," it might be advisable to rave less, or at least to do so in a less loony manner.
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

sephirothrr wrote:UofL would like to send one team. I tried to send an email to the address a few days ago, but no one responded.
Sorry about that, I must have missed it! Welcome to the field.
Jarret Greene
sephirothrr
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by sephirothrr »

Actually, we can field two teams.
Ramapriya
Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance
University of Louisville
duPont Manual High School
Birdofredum Sawin wrote: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pmIf you don't want to be regarded as a "raving lunatic," it might be advisable to rave less, or at least to do so in a less loony manner.
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Unless a team really really wants to join the field, I'm gonna close the field at 14 right now.

We'll be meeting in Dreese Hall 113 (the large lecture hall) in the morning and then playing the tournament in the Central Classroom Building. I'll be sending out an email with final details sometime soon.
Jarret Greene
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

When should teams plan on getting there?
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Be in Dreese by, and preferably before, 9. I sent an email out to people I had contact info for last night.
Jarret Greene
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Hey, can someone email the packets to [email protected]? Thanks!
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

Alliance in the Alps wrote:Hey, can someone email the packets to [email protected]? Thanks!
Packets are being sent out to all the sites at 11 PM EST (25 minutes after this post).
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

In your inbox.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Awesome. I wanted to make sure of this since neither Jarret nor I am running the tournament (we're intend to play as part of the house team instead); the person you (Gerard Louis) sent it to is the actual TD.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

Alliance in the Alps wrote:Awesome. I wanted to make sure of this since neither Jarret nor I am running the tournament (we're intend to play as part of the house team instead); the person you (Gerard Louis) sent it to is the actual TD.
I saw the address Eric sent it to, and it was the above address and not yours or Jarret's.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

At lunch, OSU and Michigan A are leading their prelim brackets with 2 games to go.
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Michigan A won this at 9-0. Chicago A, Chicago B and OSU are currently playing off for 2nd place.
Jarret Greene
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Sorry for the delay in stats. Prelims can be found here, combined stats here.

For 2nd place, we had a 3 way tie after Michigan cleared the field to win. Chicago A, Chicago B and OSU were seeded by ppb, with OSU having the highest and thus the birth in the 2nd place "championship," where they played Chicago B after they defeated Chicago A. OSU then beat Chicago B to secure 2nd. Michigan State and Michigan B rounded out the top bracket.

We hope everyone had a great time.
Jarret Greene
Fond du lac operon
Wakka

Post by Fond du lac operon »

I'm not sure that Michigan's team should count as a Michigan team, since they apparently had a Tang Dynasty poet playing alongside them...
Harrison Brown
Centennial '08, Alabama '13

"No idea what [he's] talking about."
Commodore
Lulu

Post by Commodore »

I wanted to thank Ohio State for running this tournament. Overall, I felt it went quite well. However, I would like to mention that if you have people who have the possibility to mess up part of the tournament (like reading a round in a bye room that was actually later in the tournament) due to either lack of experience or lack of briefing or a combination of both, you shouldn't have the TD and other capable people playing in your own hosted tournament. Not that I have a problem with OSU fielding a house team, but it seemed a little irresponsible for them to leave someone obviously newer to quizbowl in charge of something somewhat important while of all people the TD was playing.
George Dewey
Chicago '13
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Commodore wrote:I wanted to thank Ohio State for running this tournament. Overall, I felt it went quite well. However, I would like to mention that if you have people who have the possibility to mess up part of the tournament (like reading a round in a bye room that was actually later in the tournament) due to either lack of experience or lack of briefing or a combination of both, you shouldn't have the TD and other capable people playing in your own hosted tournament. Not that I have a problem with OSU fielding a house team, but it seemed a little irresponsible for them to leave someone obviously newer to quizbowl in charge of something somewhat important while of all people the TD was playing.
If you're talking about Jarret or Jasper, I think neither of them were the TD of the tournament. According to this post by Jasper,
Alliance in the Alps wrote: Gerard Louis is the actual TD.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Notably Not Pierre
Lulu

Post by Notably Not Pierre »

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:If you're talking about Jarret or Jasper, I think neither of them were the TD of the tournament. According to this post by Jasper,
Alliance in the Alps wrote: Gerard Louis is the actual TD.
FWIW, in the post-playoff match I observed between Chicago A and B, which the OSU team was also spectating, the moderator referred to one of the members of OSU's house team as the tournament director. I think he also was the one who made some announcements regarding the tournament structure and announced the addition of cross-bracket bye games.

I think this is person is Jarret although I'll admit my ability to distinguish the names of all the people on the OSU team is not what it should be.
Matt Menard

UChicago '12, '13
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

Jarrett was that person, but he was not the TD or at least he said he wasn't.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Gerard Louis, a member of our team, was the tournament director who handled stats and made sure everything kept moving and all of the other fun things TDs do during tournaments (he was the one who caught the fact that an incredibly sleep deprived staffer had read a wrong packet, and handled it). What I did was organize and announce everything since I have lots of experience doing that and it made Gerard 's life easier. So while in some respects I acted as TD, Gerard was the one who ran the tournament when it was actually being played, and he did a great job.

Now, had there been a lot of problems and delays or whatever, I would have pulled myself from playing and taken over as TD. As it happened, that wasn't necessary. The only real fuckup this tournament saw was someone reading the wrong round, and that's happened to me as a director when I wasn't playing, and happened in this instance after I told the staffer "read round one" myself. Sometimes mistakes happen, especially at quizbowl tournaments.

So I hope that clears that up. I was a sort of a co-TD, but in no way was I running this thing while playing, that'd be silly. We had a TD in the warroom and he did a great job.
Jarret Greene
Wackford Squeers
Wakka

Post by Wackford Squeers »

Inkana7 wrote:Gerard Louis, a member of our team, was the tournament director who handled stats and made sure everything kept moving and all of the other fun things TDs do during tournaments (he was the one who caught the fact that an incredibly sleep deprived staffer had read a wrong packet, and handled it)...
The error was pointed out to him by George and I after we noticed players from other rooms were unfamiliar with the questions we had heard. The reader in question also seemed generally unfamiliar with the rules of quiz bowl. Overall the tournament was good, but you guys seemed short at least one competent reader.
Ben Chametzky
University of Chicago, 2016
Carbondale Community High School, 2012
IHSSBCA High School Liaison 2011-2012
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

a joke about the use/mention distinction wrote:
Inkana7 wrote:Gerard Louis, a member of our team, was the tournament director who handled stats and made sure everything kept moving and all of the other fun things TDs do during tournaments (he was the one who caught the fact that an incredibly sleep deprived staffer had read a wrong packet, and handled it)...
The error was pointed out to him by George and I after we noticed players from other rooms were unfamiliar with the questions we had heard. The reader in question also seemed generally unfamiliar with the rules of quiz bowl. Overall the tournament was good, but you guys seemed short at least one competent reader.
Ah, I did not know that. All I knew was that when round 1 ended I was told "this happened and we fixed it going forward." I guess in hindsight adding a scrimmage room was a pretty bad idea, sorry about the problems it caused.
Jarret Greene