Minnesota 2012-2013

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
David Riley
Auron

Minnesota 2012-2013

Post by David Riley »

Just curious: In Illinois, the bulk of teams playing quiz bowl are in the Chicago metro area with pockets in Rockford and Carbondale. We are always trying to do outreach with the downstate teams. Is any outreach being done in, say, Pipestone, Bemidji or Twin Ports to convert them from KB to Quiz Bowl?
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Coelacanth
Rikku

Re: Minnesota 2011-12

Post by Coelacanth »

David Riley wrote:Just curious: In Illinois, the bulk of teams playing quiz bowl are in the Chicago metro area with pockets in Rockford and Carbondale. We are always trying to do outreach with the downstate teams. Is any outreach being done in, say, Pipestone, Bemidji or Twin Ports to convert them from KB to Quiz Bowl?
I think it's safe to say nothing's being done in Pipestone.

The board of MNHSQB (a weekly, Twin-Cities-based "league" that plays on Thursday nights) has had discussions about adding an "outstate" division, most likely focused in the St. Cloud/Central Lakes area. I don't think anything is happening with this yet, though. Logistics is an issue; it's not easy to find experienced staff willing to drive 2 hours each way on a weeknight. So the thought is to do some Saturday tournaments to introduce teams to the game; I don't think any have been scheduled yet.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More, I cannot say.
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Re: Minnesota 2011-12

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

Sorry to sidetrack, but NHBB North Dakota will be on Saturday, Feb. 16 and NHBB Minnesota will be Saturday, Mar. 2.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
degnem
Kimahri

Re: Minnesota 2012-2013

Post by degnem »

I am a HS KB coach in outstate MN... I didn't know quizbowl existed in MN... What is quizbowl, and why should I convert?

User was reminded to enable a signature --Mgmt
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

What is your experience if any with quizbowl? Quizbowl is similar to knowledge bowl (which I have never played), but in my experience working with HS students who come from a KB background, they find that quizbowl has less "hoses" and rewards more knowledge of academic ideas. I'm not sure what school you are at, but I would recommend contacting the quizbowl team at the University of Minnesota or Carleton College, who could probably help you find a good HS tournament to help you and your team get acclimated to quizbowl.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

degnem wrote:I am a HS KB coach in outstate MN... I didn't know quizbowl existed in MN... What is quizbowl, and why should I convert?
Welcome aboard! There's a brief introduction to quizbowl here, and of course there is plenty of additional information throughout this forum.

There is a thriving Minnesota circuit with over 100 teams based in the Twin Cities; contact NAQT president R. Robert Hentzel (rhentzel@gmail) for more information.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Coelacanth
Rikku

Post by Coelacanth »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
degnem wrote:I am a HS KB coach in outstate MN... I didn't know quizbowl existed in MN... What is quizbowl, and why should I convert?
Welcome aboard! There's a brief introduction to quizbowl here, and of course there is plenty of additional information throughout this forum.

There is a thriving Minnesota circuit with over 100 teams based in the Twin Cities; contact NAQT president R. Robert Hentzel (rhentzel@gmail) for more information.
Additionally, the Minnesota Quizbowl Alliance page has a listing of upcoming local tournaments.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More, I cannot say.
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

NHBB Minnesota has been rescheduled to 3/30. I've not seen any conflicts for that date. Please let me know if I'm mistaken.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)