Call for Writers for CMST4

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Call for Writers for CMST4

Post by the return of AHAN »

Dear quizbowl community,
In the interest of continuing to grow the market for middle school quizbowl, I am seeking help in the production of the 4th iteration of the Collaborative Middle School Tournament. While NAQT has expanded their offerings to include 3 MS sets, I feel that there is room for another! It seemed like the writers for last year's edition had difficulty finding the time to write in the months of December and January, so I'm hoping to get this thing launched sooner in hopes that more people are able to participate. I'm in search of at least 20 writers for the categories described below (copied and edited Dwight Wynne's leadership template. It'd be nice to have a few diehards willing to go above and beyond the usual commitment of 10/10 to fill-in wherever questions are needed. I also definitely need someone to serve as chief editor. Please respond in this thread if you are willing to serve in some capacity.

Dwight wrote:Facilitator = Jeff Price
1. PM everyone who signs up to write to get their e-mail address and the categories they want to write in. Also ask them if they are interested in any sort of subject editing or proofreading.
2. Set up a Google Spreadsheet for answer selection and individual documents for each category (English Language Literature, Juvenile Literature, Other Literature and Language Arts, American History, European History, World/Ancient History, Geography, Life Science, Physical Science, Astronomy, Mathematics, Visual Arts, Auditory Arts, Religion, Mythology, Current Events, Popular Culture).
3. Combine this all into a single folder. Label it "CMST 2013."
4. Share the folder with everyone whose e-mail addresses you have collected.
5. Follows up with each individual writer to secure their writing commitment ("I will have X/X done in these categories by this date").
5. Periodically bumps this thread in case potential new writers are looking at the thread or we need to call for new writers.
A. This job is pretty much over in December except for following up with writers.

Chief Editor = ???
1. Coordinates subject editing schedule.
2. Oversees subject editing and makes final edits for difficulty and repeat replacement.
3. Combines packets and sends them to proofreaders for final cosmetic edits.
4. Presses the panic button at appropriate times when people inevitably start slipping on their assignments.

Bid Coordinator = ???
1. Makes official announcement regarding CMST 4 date availability and hosting guidelines.
2. Answers questions from potential hosts (or posts them in the private forum for the group to answer, then sends back the group's response).
3. Starts and runs the "Bids 2013" thread in the private forum that basically makes sure that all of our potential hosts are doing non-crazy things and that no site is going to significantly take away from a second site's field. Once we make sure of that, notify the host that they have been accepted as a host site.
4. Maintains a spreadsheet of host site, host contact, and tournament date (either online or on their own computer).
5. Sends hosts a copy of the set no later than the Tuesday before the tournament; earlier if requested by the host.
6. Follows up with hosts for statistics and set feedback.
7. Optionally, identifies and contacts hosts in potential new areas inquiring into use of our set.
A. This job is pretty easy if you have halfway decent communication skills. It takes about 30 minutes a week on the busy weeks.

Subject editors and writers should be pretty self-explanatory.

Die-hard writers (we need at least 3) are pretty simple: you sign up to write a minimum of 20/20 in "whatever needs to be done." This means you are assigned whatever categories no one signs up to write in. If everyone does their commitment in a timely manner, you're done. If not, you pick up the slack for whatever categories aren't getting written.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Call for Writers for CMST4

Post by Important Bird Area »

Count me in for 10/10 of some categories (probably not history and geography, since I'm writing a bunch of that for NAQT).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I can write whatever, but probably not much more than 10/10.

edit: I'll also endeavor to get my questions written more promptly than they were for CMST 3.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I'd love to sign up as bid coordinator, if no one else wants to.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

I will write 10/10 mythology on one day of your choosing, and another 10/10 or more on science/history (not on one day).
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Unfortunately, I will not be able to help with the classical music (or any other categories) this year.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I will be happy to do classical music, just let me know the specs.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

If you'll have me, I'll do 10/10 or more of history and geography.
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
Golden-backed Whistler
Lulu

Post by Golden-backed Whistler »

I'd like to write Religion and Trash/CE. If the set needs it, I could also probably do some history and lit (but probably no more than about 5/5 each).
Michael Menkhus
Oakville High School 2014
Truman State University 2018
Arizona State University 2019

Learn more about the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance!
tintinnabulation
Wakka

Post by tintinnabulation »

I would like to write some lit and maybe some visual/auditory arts.
Brittany Trang
Ohio State
Northwestern
MichaelFalk
Lulu

Post by MichaelFalk »

In.

I'll write 10/10 wherever you need me, preferably in math, non-bio science, music or lit.
--
Michael Falk
Played for Iowa State University, 2001-2004
Coaching for St. Mary's Visitation (Elm Grove, WI), grades 6-8, 2010-present
drshoema
Kimahri

Post by drshoema »

I am willing to write 10/10 for Science, History, or Lit.
David Shoemaker
Academic Coach
Holy Family Catholic School
the return of AHAN
Auron

Well, in one day, we have commitments (here and off the forum) to write about 120/120, plus an indeterminate amount of questions from Bainbridge. I'm taking the liberty of adding a minor sub-distribution of computer questions, so if people want to write computer questions that middle schoolers can possibly answer, that's an opening... Anyway, I'm hoping for another 8 people to sign on as, experience has shown, not everyone who signs off on 10/10 actually hits that mark...
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
MLaudermith
Wakka

Post by MLaudermith »

I'd like to write 10/10 science, preferably life science.
Mike Laudermith, Fenton High School
IHSSBCA Member-at-Large

"Where can you belt back a fifth of scotch on the Firth of Forth?"
--geography tossup from the pioneering days of Illinois Scholastic Bowl
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Depending on the completion schedule, I'm probably willing to edit any of {math, physics, visual art} and could do music in a pinch.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
African threadfish
Lulu

Post by African threadfish »

the return of AHAN wrote:Well, in one day, we have commitments (here and off the forum) to write about 120/120, plus an indeterminate amount of questions from Bainbridge. I'm taking the liberty of adding a minor sub-distribution of computer questions, so if people want to write computer questions that middle schoolers can possibly answer, that's an opening... Anyway, I'm hoping for another 8 people to sign on as, experience has shown, not everyone who signs off on 10/10 actually hits that mark...
I'd be happy to write some computer related MS questions Jeff! Would you like 5/5 of those? I can also do 5/5 or 10/10 history/civics/social studies if needed. After November, my schedule gets MUCH better this year.
Kristin Burns -Middle School and High School Scholastic Bowl Coach
Keith Country Day School - Rockford, Illinois
the return of AHAN
Auron

We're nearing my target for question writing commitments. If I could get commitments for another 30/30, I'll officially unleash the hounds and open the Google Docs. So far, I'm only assuming 10/10 from each person who has posted, unless the writer specifically said they would definitely do more. I'm not going to hold anyone to a "probably" statement. Mind you, I'd rather over-subscribe in terms of getting writers than to under-subscribe!

To this point,
here is who I have signed up...
Bid coordinator = Jacob O'Rourke
Subject Editors = Jonah Greenthal (math, auditory arts, visual art); Charles Martin (mythology, religion, US Govt); Matt Laird (Lit, Trash, Current Events)
Chief Editor = ??????

Writers (10/10 commitment from each unless noted):
Jeff Hoppes
Ryan Rosenberg
Jacob O'Rourke
Ben Zhang (20/20) 100% Mythology claimed
David Riley 100% Classical Music Claimed
Collin Parks
Michael Menkhus
Brittany Trang
John Basque
Michael Falk
Michael Garn
David Shoemaker
Colin McNamara
Nolan Winkler
Zach Pace
Mike Laudermith 100% Life Science claimed
Kristin Burns
Kathy Hempel
Tristan Willey
Ethan Russo
Matthew Hill
Ankit Aggarwal
Matt Laird
Scott Blish

The one area of concern that I see right now is "US government." No one has specifically said they'd do it, and I recall it being a minor struggle last year to get to 10/10.
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:03 am, edited 6 times in total.
Jeff Price
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

the return of AHAN wrote:The one area of concern that I see right now is "US government." No one has specifically said they'd do it, and I recall it being a minor struggle last year to get to 10/10.
I'll write this for my 10/10.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
the return of AHAN
Auron

Google Docs are up. Let me know if you signed up but didn't get access to it.
Jeff Price
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

I will edit the myth, religion (outside of doctrinal questions where I may need to consult another), and the 0/10 US Government. Please do not try to write 10/10 US government. I tried to do that with CMST 1 and the result was less than satisfactory because, in my experience, middle schools do not force middle schoolers to take a US government test in 7th grade, like they did when when I attended grade school.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Papa's in the House wrote:I will edit the myth, religion (outside of doctrinal questions where I may need to consult another), and the 0/10 US Government. Please do not try to write 10/10 US government. I tried to do that with CMST 1 and the result was less than satisfactory because, in my experience, middle schools do not force middle schoolers to take a US government test in 7th grade, like they did when when I attended grade school.
Right now we're at 5/10 US Government, which I believe would be doable if "current events topics having to do with US Government" fell under US Government. If not, then it'll be a stretch.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
the return of AHAN
Auron

The Predictable Consequences wrote:
Papa's in the House wrote:I will edit the myth, religion (outside of doctrinal questions where I may need to consult another), and the 0/10 US Government. Please do not try to write 10/10 US government. I tried to do that with CMST 1 and the result was less than satisfactory because, in my experience, middle schools do not force middle schoolers to take a US government test in 7th grade, like they did when when I attended grade school.
Right now we're at 5/10 US Government, which I believe would be doable if "current events topics having to do with US Government" fell under US Government. If not, then it'll be a stretch.
IMO, Current Events questions that relate to US government would be fine to file under the US government category.
Jeff Price
i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

I'll write 10/10 whatever.
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12
the return of AHAN
Auron

Looking good so far! In less than 48 hours, we have 77 toss-ups claimed and 51 bonuses claimed, with 14 toss-ups and 3 bonuses already posted.
I imagine we should open up a separate thread for continued communication regarding set production. But if anyone else is interested in getting involved with the writing and editing of CMST 4, please send me a message or post in this thread. I'm still hoping to procure an experienced chief editor for this project....
Jeff Price
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

I will write you 10/10 in whatever as long as it isn't physics, math, or CS. I'll also be your lit and trash/CE editor.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Only about half of the questions have been actually claimed in the Google doc so far. If you haven't viewed the Google Doc yet to make your claims, please do so as soon as conveniently possible. If you are unable to access the doc for whatever reason, please let me know. If your name is on the list above, you SHOULD have received a Google Doc link.
Additionally, it's not to late if you'd like to join in and write a few questions for this project. Just post a note in this thread. Thanks in advance for your time and effort!
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

As I was hoping to have the writing of this tournament completed by mid-December, such that the editors could have the necessary time for re-writes and edits, I need to make it clear that all unwritten claims on the CMST4 answer document will be removed on the morning of Sunday, December 16th. If you've made claims and still plan to honor your commitments, you need to highlight your claims in red before that day. If the category you'd like to write is completely claimed, remember, you can always write your favorite category as part of the tiebreaker questions (except for trash/CE).
A special thank you to David Shoemaker, Brittany Trang, and Tristan Willey, who have already posted 20, 18, and 16 questions respectively!
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

While some significant progress has been made, we are still a long ways from 210/210 being posted for this set. To that end, I have deleted all answer lines from inactive claimants from the set. If writers who had claims deleted (Aggarwal, Parks, Pace, McNamara, etc.) would still like to write, that would be great, but I would ask people to only claim answer lines on the doc if they can actually write a question to fill that slot within 24 hours. If anyone would still like to get in on this project, just send me a PM with your e-mail and I'd be happy to add you to the google doc!
Jeff Price
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

The set is now written but not yet edited.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)