Collegiate Novice @ Chicago 10/20

Old college threads.
Connie Prater
Lulu

Collegiate Novice @ Chicago 10/20

Post by Connie Prater »

The University of Chicago will be hosting a mirror of the Early Autumn Collegiate Novice Tournament on Saturday October 20, 2012. This tournament is aimed at freshman and sophomore college players with low amounts of quizbowl experience. I, Connie Prater, will serve as Tournament Director.

Eligibility
1. All ACF eligibility rules apply, except when they contradict the rules below.

2. This is a tournament for introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl. Consequently, no high school teams or players are eligible.

3. Anyone (who does not break Rules 1 or 2) who has never played quizbowl before is automatically eligible. Other academic competition does not count as quizbowl for this rule.

4. Players meeting one or more of the following criteria must apply to the head editor for special permission to play:

i. If you have already completed your second year of college (calculated from time in college, not credits). Time in a post-secondary high school program does not count.

ii. If you were ever on a playoff or top-bracket team at NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC.

iii. If you have ever scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament.

iv. If you have ever won any college tournament.

5. Anyone who does not fall into any of the four categories listed in Rule 4 is automatically eligible to play.

If you would like to request special permission to play, email head editor Andrew Hart at [email protected].

Logistics
This tournament will begin at 9:30AM in the Biological Sciences Learning Center. All teams should be in Room 008 at 9:00AM to check in.
There is street parking around the area, but if you feel more comfortable with a paid parking deck, here is a map showing parking locations on campus (warning, it's a PDF).
There are a lot of lunch options near the area. In particular, the Barnes and Noble cafe in the bookstore and sometimes various food trucks are located nearby on Ellis. There is also a conveniently-located student union in Hutchinson Commons in the Reynolds Club on 57th and University with lots of quick food options.

Fee Structure
Base fee: $15 per player
Buzzer discount: -$5 per functioning buzzer system
Travel discount: -$10 per 200 miles one-way as indicated by Google Maps
Minimum fee: $5 per player

To Register
If you plan on attending this tournament, please e-mail me at [email protected]. Please in the e-mail include the number of teams, discounts, and a phone number at which a member of your team can be contacted on the day of the tournament. Do not just post in this thread. Again, posting in this thread will only show interest and won't be considered officially registering for this tournament. Please e-mail me.

Registration for this tournament is now closed. Thank you for your responses!

Field
House x 5
Lincoln Land Community College x 1
Northwestern x 2
Wisconsin x 1
NIU x 1
Beloit x 2

This field is capped at 12 teams.
Last edited by Connie Prater on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:38 am, edited 6 times in total.
Connie Tzeng
Chattahoochee High School 2006-2010
UChicago 2010-2014
Cat Mom 2016-
PACE
Connie Prater
Lulu

Re: Collegiate Novice @ Chicago 10/20

Post by Connie Prater »

I am really, really sorry about any inconvenience this has caused. Due to problems finding space, we are moving this tournament to 10/20.
Connie Tzeng
UChicago 2010-2014
Cat Mom 2016-
PACE
Connie Prater
Lulu

Post by Connie Prater »

Registration for this tournament is now closed. Thank you for your responses!
Connie Tzeng
UChicago 2010-2014
Cat Mom 2016-
PACE
Connie Prater
Lulu

Post by Connie Prater »

Stats are here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/1123/

Chicago B won the tournament in a final against Chicago E. Northwestern should have been in the final, but due to a misunderstanding, I accidentally let them leave before they should have. I am really sorry for this.

Thank you so much to all who attended this tournament. I hope you all had an enjoyable experience playing quizbowl today, and I certainly hope to see you at other tournaments!

Connie
Connie Tzeng
UChicago 2010-2014
Cat Mom 2016-
PACE