2011-12 NAQT IS sets: question-specific discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2011-12 NAQT IS sets: question-specific discussion

Post by Important Bird Area »

These sets are now clear for discussion.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Re: 2011-12 NAQT IS sets: question-specific discussion

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

Can you post the Robert Penn Warren and Ohio tossups from IS-116?

Edit: are A-sets clear too?
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Important Bird Area

IS #116 round 1 wrote: This giver of the 1974 Jefferson Lecture ~Poetry and Democracy~ co-authored ~Understanding Poetry~ with Cleanth Brooks. His collection ~Promises~ won a 1958 Pulitzer. One of his characters drives to California, where he adopts the nihilistic "Great Twitch"; that character appears in a work with (*) Judge Irwin, Jack Burden, and Willie Stark, who is based on Huey Long. For 10 points--name this author of ~All the King's Men~.
IS #116 round 1 wrote:Like New York, this state lost two electoral votes due to the 2010 Census, and in it Josh Mandel will contest Sherrod Brown's Senate seat. In 2011 a statewide referendum overturned a curtailment of (*) collective bargaining rights supported by Governor John Kasich. Dennis Kucinich once represented--for 10 points--what state whose Super Tuesday primary was decided by votes from Cuyahoga County, which includes Cleveland?
Yes, the introductory series are clear too.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Mnemosyne
Wakka

Post by Mnemosyne »

Can you post the sonnet tossup from 106A?
Nick Collins
C. E. Byrd '12 (Shreveport, LA)
Louisiana Tech '16, '17
University of Virginia
Important Bird Area

IS 106A round 12 wrote:Christina Rossetti's ~Monna Innominata~ is a collection of these. Eighty-nine of them are collected in the ~Amoretti~ of Edmund Spenser; 108 appear in (*) ~Astrophel and Stella~ by Sir Philip Sidney. For 10 points--name this type of poem, 154 of which were written by William Shakespeare.

answer: _sonnet_s (do not prompt on "poem")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

In that case regarding A-sets, can you post the Icarus, Vitus Bering, and Volume (it was Volume or pressure, it was in round 8 I believe) tossups from IS-110A?
Thomas Moore
Important Bird Area

IS #110A round 8 wrote:This man's second expedition included the ships ~St. Peter~ and ~St. Paul~, and from the former he first sighted Mount Saint Elias. On his return voyage, he died in the Commander Islands. (*) Russia employed--for 10 points--what Danish explorer, the namesake of the sea and strait west of Alaska?
IS #110A round 9 wrote:This mythological figure is the namesake of a German plan to invade Iceland in World War II, an "Agenda" in a Robert Ludlum novel, and the first successful solar sail launched by (*) Japan. For 10 points--name this son of Daedalus whose wax wings melted when he flew too close to the Sun.
(mixed impure academic, not myth)
IS #110A round 8 wrote:This quantity, which is squared in the denominator of the van der Waals equation, equals number of moles times the ideal gas constant times temperature divided by pressure; Charles' law says it is directly proportional to (*) temperature. For 10 points--name this quantity measured in liters.

answer: _volume_ (prompt on "V")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Windmill Tump
Wakka

Post by Windmill Tump »

Could I see the tossup on the Portrait of Dr. Gachet? I think it was in IS 116 or 115, but I'm not completely sure.
Sid Dogra
Detroit Country Day School '13
Michigan '17
NYU '21
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

Post by Scaled Flowerpiercer »

Could you post the "pain" (French bread) tossup from IS 113 116? I remember it being hard to distinguish the answer as not just being "bread"
Last edited by Scaled Flowerpiercer on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samuel Donow
Irvington High School '12
Williams College '16
Important Bird Area

IS #115 round 7 wrote:The artist said this work's subject's melancholy expression reflects "the heartbroken expression of our time." In one of its versions, the subject has a blue jacket to match the background; the other has a black jacket with green buttons. The central man sits at a red table with a foxglove plant; he wears a lumpy brown hat and rests his cheek on his fist. (*) For 10 points--name this painting of Vincent van Gogh's physician.
IS #116 round 4 wrote:One form of this food is named for Pullman railway cars. Many foods described by this term are ~Viennoiserie~ because of their additives like raisins and apples. This term "au chocolat" refers to a chocolate-filled (*) croissant. This food, which can be produced by the leavening agents in beer, can be shaped into baguettes. For 10 points--give this word, the French for "bread," which follows "Au Bon" in a restaurant's name.

answer: _pain_ (accept _pan de mie_ or _pain au chocolat_ or _Au Bon Pain_; prompt on "bread")
This indeed produced a bread/prompt/? minus-five at northern California states; probably would have been better off with just answer _bread_.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
IS #115 round 7 wrote:The artist said this work's subject's melancholy expression reflects "the heartbroken expression of our time." In one of its versions, the subject has a blue jacket to match the background; the other has a black jacket with green buttons. The central man sits at a red table with a foxglove plant; he wears a lumpy brown hat and rests his cheek on his fist. (*) For 10 points--name this painting of Vincent van Gogh's physician.
IS #116 round 4 wrote:One form of this food is named for Pullman railway cars. Many foods described by this term are ~Viennoiserie~ because of their additives like raisins and apples. This term "au chocolat" refers to a chocolate-filled (*) croissant. This food, which can be produced by the leavening agents in beer, can be shaped into baguettes. For 10 points--give this word, the French for "bread," which follows "Au Bon" in a restaurant's name.

answer: _pain_ (accept _pan de mie_ or _pain au chocolat_ or _Au Bon Pain_; prompt on "bread")
This indeed produced a bread/prompt/? minus-five at northern California states; probably would have been better off with just answer _bread_.
I think here, after the question was missed on one side, the other team answered "pan," or bread in Spanish. (The player didn't know French, so decided to do Spanish, hoping it was close enough.) The pronunciation of pan and pain are close enough that I had to accept it. (He explained after I accepted it that he guessed the Spanish word for bread.)
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Post by Jason Cheng »

tiwonge wrote:
I think here, after the question was missed on one side, the other team answered "pan," or bread in Spanish. (The player didn't know French, so decided to do Spanish, hoping it was close enough.) The pronunciation of pan and pain are close enough that I had to accept it. (He explained after I accepted it that he guessed the Spanish word for bread.)
The exact same thing happened when we played this set: One side missed the tossup after saying "bread" early on and being prompted, and the other side guessed using the Spanish word "pan." I feel like this tossup would've been a lot better if it was changed so that at a certain point, bread was acceptable.
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Post by Panayot Hitov »

bt_green_warbler wrote:

At MD/DC states, in a bottom bracket room, this happened too.
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Oakland Mills High School '14
Carleton College '18
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

For about the past four years, IS-sets have been regarded both as much-improved products and as too hard for lots of teams. I'm wondering, between NAQT's conversion records and some other sources like the statlines Fred gathers, whether this is still true and whether NAQT thinks it made progress in addressing this difficulty issue during the year. (Full disclosure: I'm an NAQT writer.) IS-sets are the single most common good quizbowl product and it's important to get them right, even if they seem somewhat easy to the best teams.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

RyuAqua wrote:For about the past four years, IS-sets have been regarded both as much-improved products and as too hard for lots of teams. I'm wondering, between NAQT's conversion records and some other sources like the statlines Fred gathers, whether this is still true and whether NAQT thinks it made progress in addressing this difficulty issue during the year. (Full disclosure: I'm an NAQT writer.) IS-sets are the single most common good quizbowl product and it's important to get them right, even if they seem somewhat easy to the best teams.
Personally, I think we've for the most part succeeded in increasing power rates to values that are better at differentiating between teams on tossups (if we have powers at all, it's probably not ideal to have only a 10% power rate) and in preventing the "Eiffel tower" tossup model that someone--I think Bill Tressler--made a thread about two years ago. Obviously, middle clues are the big challenge in sets with character-limited tossups and a range of teams playing that includes near-everyone; I think we've gotten better but we're not there yet. (I think one thing that made this stuff harder is distributional: one of my big efforts upon becoming more involved in editing was to campaign for incremental improvements to the distribution. When you do that, while keeping rounds of similar length, you end up needing to search for more answer lines in academic topics than you face in 20-tossup packets. So if there have been bumps in the road, I might think it's due to having to find a little extra answer space in e.g. world lit than we used to have to, and I'm not too concerned that it'll continue as long as we still get new writers to help produce sets.)
Andrew Watkins
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

I think it was in one of the later IS-116 packets (Round 10 or after) that there was a bonus with a third part whose answer line was "jihad", and it referred to "Jihad vs. McWorld." If you can find what I'm talking about, would you mind posting it?
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
Important Bird Area

IS #116 round 13 wrote:For 10 points each--answer the following about provocative expository articles with intriguing titles:

A. William Gibson's "Disneyland with the Death Penalty" was a scathing critique of the authoritarian sterility of this tiny economic powerhouse at the southern tip of the Malay Peninsula, where people who spit in public get caned.

answer: Republic of _Singapore_

B. This author employed "gonzo journalism" in his article "The Kentucky Derby Is Decadent and Depraved" and in the book ~Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas~.

answer: Hunter S(tockton) _Thompson_

C. In a pessimistic 1992 article in ~The Atlantic Monthly~, Benjamin Barber contrasted globalization--represented by "McWorld"--and tribalism--represented by this title religious concept.

answer: _jihad_ (accept _Jihad vs. McWorld_)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Mechanical Beasts wrote:
RyuAqua wrote:For about the past four years, IS-sets have been regarded both as much-improved products and as too hard for lots of teams. I'm wondering, between NAQT's conversion records and some other sources like the statlines Fred gathers, whether this is still true and whether NAQT thinks it made progress in addressing this difficulty issue during the year. (Full disclosure: I'm an NAQT writer.) IS-sets are the single most common good quizbowl product and it's important to get them right, even if they seem somewhat easy to the best teams.
Personally, I think we've for the most part succeeded in increasing power rates to values that are better at differentiating between teams on tossups (if we have powers at all, it's probably not ideal to have only a 10% power rate) and in preventing the "Eiffel tower" tossup model that someone--I think Bill Tressler--made a thread about two years ago. Obviously, middle clues are the big challenge in sets with character-limited tossups and a range of teams playing that includes near-everyone; I think we've gotten better but we're not there yet. (I think one thing that made this stuff harder is distributional: one of my big efforts upon becoming more involved in editing was to campaign for incremental improvements to the distribution. When you do that, while keeping rounds of similar length, you end up needing to search for more answer lines in academic topics than you face in 20-tossup packets. So if there have been bumps in the road, I might think it's due to having to find a little extra answer space in e.g. world lit than we used to have to, and I'm not too concerned that it'll continue as long as we still get new writers to help produce sets.)
Okay, and obviously those are good goals, but before the interminable string of randomly-posted questions really revs up again, I'm wondering what the actual numbers look like. Jeff, what do you have on power rates, tossup conversion, bonus conversion, etc. for this year's IS-sets, and are those numbers increased from last year/increasing during the year?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Important Bird Area

We haven't compiled the conversion stats for this year's sets yet; I'll post here when those data are available.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

My response to Matt's question with 2010-12 bonus conversion stats, and subsequent discussion of IS set difficulty and HSNCT field size, can be found in this thread.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

In what category was the tossup on "Casey at the Bat"?
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
Important Bird Area

Literature: Popular Genres.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Can you post the Major League Soccer bonus, Truman Capote tossup from IS-110A, East of Eden, Marduk, "I Need a Doctor" tossups from IS-109, the Steve Nash, "Love The Way You Lie" and weak force tossups from IS-108A?
Thomas Moore
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Paula Pareto Optimality wrote:Can you post the Major League Soccer bonus, Truman Capote tossup from IS-110A, East of Eden, Marduk, "I Need a Doctor" tossups from IS-109, the Steve Nash, "Love The Way You Lie" and weak force tossups from IS-108A?
Out of curiosity, how is it that you come up with which 6-8 questions you want Jeff to post each time you ask?
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Kyle wrote:
Paula Pareto Optimality wrote:Can you post the Major League Soccer bonus, Truman Capote tossup from IS-110A, East of Eden, Marduk, "I Need a Doctor" tossups from IS-109, the Steve Nash, "Love The Way You Lie" and weak force tossups from IS-108A?
Out of curiosity, how is it that you come up with which 6-8 questions you want Jeff to post each time you ask?
Yeah, I soon realized after a while this will get annoying (hence this being my last request for these IS-sets this year). I don't have any paper copies of the sets I've played in my possession, and I end up thinking of questions I want to see clues for that I either negged early on, got beat on or I got early. Obviously, I'm not the only person who wants to see the text of questions either after they are cleared, and there wouldn't be a need to actually ask for question texts if NAQT put up their sets online publicly like HSAPQ does, and every housewrite to my knowledge at the high school level does by means of putting their product on the packet archive.
Thomas Moore
Important Bird Area

IS #110A round 8 wrote:The Colorado Rapids won their first championship in 2010. For 10 points each--

A. The Rapids are in what professional sports league that began play in 1996 and whose other teams include Sporting Kansas City?

answer: _MLS_ or _Major League Soccer_

B. MLS added two new teams, both on the West Coast, for the 2011 season. Name either one.

answer: _Portland_ _Timbers_ (accept either)
_Vancouver_ _Whitecaps_ FC (accept either)

C. In addition to the championship MLS Cup, this shield is awarded annually to the team that accumulates the most points during the regular season.

answer: _Supporters_' Shield
IS #110A round 5 wrote:This man told of Buddy and an elderly friend making fruitcake in his story "A Christmas Memory." The protagonist of one of his novellas conquers her anxieties--called "mean reds"--by visiting a pricey (*) store. Holly Golightly was created by--for 10 points--what author of ~Breakfast at Tiffany's~?
IS #109 round 9 wrote:In this novel, the Hebrew word Timshel is shown to mean "thou mayest." Among its characters is a housekeeper named Lee and the morally depraved Cathy Ames. An immigrant to Salinas named Samuel Hamilton appears in this work, in which (*) Aron enlists in World War I when he discovers that his mother is a prostitute. For 10 points--name this John Steinbeck novel about the Trask family, which has a biblical theme.
IS #109 round 9 wrote:This god's son Nabu is a god of wisdom. This god rides a chariot drawn by four horses with poison in their mouths. His deeds are recounted in the ~Enuma Elish~, which also lists his fifty names. In an encounter with one enemy, he traps the four winds and slays (*) Kingu to retrieve the Tablets of Destiny. For 10 points--name this Babylonian god who slew the dragon Tiamat.
IS #109 round 2 wrote:This song's video opens with the text "February 18th, 2001;" later, it shows one of its artists as a member of the World Class Wreckin' Cru. One of its rappers says "one more CD and then I'm packing up my bags," while another says "you're either getting lazy or you don't believe in you no more." This song's chorus includes the line "to (*) bring me back to life." For 10 points--name this song by Skylar Grey, Dr. Dre, and Eminem.
IS #108A round 4 wrote:Following the 2010-11 season, this point guard had the highest career free throw shooting percentage in NBA history. Traded for Pat Garrity in 1998, six years later he left (*) Dallas as a free agent. The 2005 and 2006 MVP was--for 10 points--what Canadian guard for the Phoenix Suns?
IS #108A round 7 wrote:This song says "it's the face that's the culprit." The music video for this song closes with its performers in front of a burning house, and its chorus includes the line "that's alright, because I (*) like the way it hurts." For 10 points--name this song featuring Rihanna, performed by Eminem.
IS #108A round 9 wrote:This force was shown by James Cronin and Val Fitch to be involved with CP violations. It is mediated by the W and Z bosons and can cause beta decay. Electromagnetism has been (*) unified with--for 10 points--what fundamental force contrasted with a more powerful one that binds quarks?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Paula Pareto Optimality wrote:if NAQT put up their sets online publicly like HSAPQ does, and every housewrite to my knowledge at the high school level does by means of putting their product on the packet archive.
Discussion of this issue may be found here.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Coldblueberry
Lulu

Post by Coldblueberry »

Can you post the 1776 musical TU and the random bonus about 80's musicians (or whatever)? I think one of them died in a plane crash
Justin
Torrey Pines '12
Princeton '16
Important Bird Area

IS #109 round 9 wrote:This musical includes a bargain struck between a husband and wife to trade pins for saltpeter in "Piddle, Twiddle and Resolve." One character mocks merchants who trade with Africa in "Molasses to Rum," and another promises to "triumphant-lee" deliver a vote in "The (*) Lees of Old Virginia." For 10 points--name this musical about the Declaration of Independence titled for the year in which that document was written.
Coldblueberry wrote:random bonus about 80's musicians (or whatever)? I think one of them died in a plane crash
Do you remember any more details about this one? A quick search didn't turn up any bonus that matched.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Coldblueberry
Lulu

Post by Coldblueberry »

I only remember that it was pop-culture music not from the 2000s and someone died in a crash...I thought it was the Blink182 guy until I remembered the time period
Justin
Torrey Pines '12
Princeton '16
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Are you talking about the day the music died? I think there was a bonus about that in an IS set this year, but, uh, lol if you think that was in the 80s.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Important Bird Area

IS #109 round 6 wrote:This man recruited Waylon Jennings as a bassist for his band, which nearly lead to Jennings' death. For 10 points each:

A. Name this lead singer of the Crickets, most famous for the song for "That'll Be the Day."

answer: (Charles Harding) "Buddy" _Holly_

B. This Holly song has Holly singing to the title woman how he loves her with "a love so rare and true."

answer: _Peggy Sue_

C. Buddy Holly died in a plane crash with two other musicians, one who recorded "La Bamba" and one who had a hit with "Chantilly Lace." Name either of them.

answer: Ritchie _Valens_ (or Richard Steven _Valenzuela_)
The _Big Bopper_ (or Jiles Perry _Richardson_ Jr.)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Buddy Holly is my favorite new wave musician.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again