Where Should the August Open Be?

Old college threads.

What do you prefer for the August 4th open tournament?

A single site in Pittsburgh
7%
A single site in Ann Arbor
4%
A single site in Maryland
8%
Multiple regional sites, such as Ann Arbor/Maryland
78%
Something else
4%

Total votes: 85

Cheynem
Sin

Where Should the August Open Be?

Post by Cheynem »

Here is a poll on this.

Note that this is basically a poll to determine public opinion. Kurtis, being the one who is mainly producing the main event for this tournament, should probably get the final say on this.

If you choose "something else," it might be helpful to specify.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Where Should the August Open Be?

Post by Cheynem »

If people want to say their opinions here, go ahead.

I voted for the regional sites for the following reasons:

1. A Pittsburgh site would require travel, and long-distance travel at that, from basically every one participating. Regional sites, such as at Ann Arbor and Maryland, would obviously still require some participants to travel, but the distances would be cut down and less people would need to get flights/hotels. This would reduce costs.

2. I'm barely traveling this summer (NASAT, CO), and the thought of another long-distance travel trip makes me blanch. Coming two weeks after a tournament with a good, national field, I don't think this tournament necessarily needs to consider that.

3. Kurtis is (primarily) writing the tournament, so it makes more sense to do it closer to him. Michigan was already going to run VCUO and thus presumably already has staff and facilities in mind.

4. Regional sites make it easier for a larger variety of people to attend. It's harder for high schoolers or fringe teams to commit to or be able to go to one-site tournaments if the site is not close to them. Some tournaments should take this into consideration, some shouldn't. I generally prefer making tournaments more accessible to a larger amount of people through mirrors.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

Since I was planning on staffing, I would prefer to stay in Ann Arbor. Plus all the reasons Mike stated above.
Bryan Berend
Detroit Catholic Central '09
Michigan '13
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

So it looks like the two-site option is quite popular. If I were to, say, fly into Detroit on Friday, could someone give me a ride to Ann Arbor and possibly let me crash on their couch?
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

grapesmoker wrote:So it looks like the two-site option is quite popular. If I were to, say, fly into Detroit on Friday, could someone give me a ride to Ann Arbor and possibly let me crash on their couch?
As long as your flight doesn't get in after 10, there's a Michigan Flyer bus that will take you from the Detroit airport to downtown Ann Arbor for $12, and has wi-fi that, in my experience, works consistently.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
ryandillon
Wakka

Post by ryandillon »

For people flying into DTW on Friday, I live like 10 minutes from the airport and my car fits 5. If people have places to crash in AA/hotels for Friday night, I could take 4 people on my way out to AA that night. If there's no need for that, I could also put one or two people up at my parents house Friday night and drive out to AA in the morning. Whichever people prefer.
Ryan Dillon

Detroit Catholic Central Class of 2011
University of Michigan Class of 2015
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

ryandillon wrote:For people flying into DTW on Friday, I live like 10 minutes from the airport and my car fits 5. If people have places to crash in AA/hotels for Friday night, I could take 4 people on my way out to AA that night. If there's no need for that, I could also put one or two people up at my parents house Friday night and drive out to AA in the morning. Whichever people prefer.
It's possible that I could do something similar, though I live about an hour or so away. If there's space and people don't mind crashing at my parent's house and driving to Ann Arbor in the morning, I may be able to put some people up and/or transport.
Rachel
UChicago 09
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

So I'll be landing in Detroit about 3:30 on Friday, August 3rd. If anyone is interested in splitting a hotel room or something, ping me at [email protected].
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance