IHSA Issues

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Stained Diviner
Auron

IHSA Issues

Post by Stained Diviner »

There's already this thread to talk about results and events in this year's IHSA Tournament, but I wanted to start a separate thread to deal with policies. I'll start by giving some basic descriptions, and everybody can decide what particular issues they want to talk about.

The tournament has over 500 teams split into two classes. The class boundary was changed this year, so instead of roughly 200 Class AA teams and 300 Class A teams, there will be roughly 250 of each. Teams from each class are assigned to eight Sectionals based on geography, and Seeding Meetings are held at the Sectional level. About 20% of coaches go to the Seeding Meeting, and the results are often sketchy. Each Sectional is broken into four Regionals based in part on seeding and in part on geography. Single elimination Regionals will happen tomorrow, reducing the number of teams to 32 in each class. Sectionals will happen on Saturday, with each site playing a four team round robin. The winner of each Sectional advances to State, using a paper tiebreaker if necessary. At State, the eight teams in each class are broken into two pools of four based on a very mysterious random draw. The winner of each pool plays for the Championship, while the runner up in each pool plays for 3rd Place. State is played in the Peoria Civic Center at the same time as the State Basketball Finals.

Each match is 24/24, shortened from the 30/30 that has been around since around 1990. Science is 5/5, with 4/4 coming from Bio, Chem and Physics. Math is 5/5, with 2-3 computational tossups. Social Studies is 5/5, with 3/3 coming from History. Language Arts is 5/5, with 4/4 coming from Literature. Fine Arts is 3/3, and Miscellaneous is 1/1.

IHSA has some unnecessary rules. Teams are penalized 30 points per match if they don't wear matching tops. Teams are disqualified if they have fewer than five players. Teams are only allowed to play 5-on-5 matches on one day after the IHSA Tournament. Teams cannot play against teams with college players at any point, though people from teams can do so.

The questions are written by a mysterious consortium. I was part of it this year, and I still don't know who wrote some of the questions and who some of the final editors were. Being part of the consortium is a very frustrating experience for a variety of reasons. Some of the writers aren't good. Some of the writers don't do their jobs. Some of the editors aren't good. This year's questions probably are better than they have been in past years, but there are mistakes, missing alternative correct answers, and questions that are just flat out bad. If you think that there will be consequences for such things, you are wrong, because the people in charge believe they do a great job. I was the Social Studies Editor. I was supposed to write zero questions, but I ended up writing 50 and helping to recruit somebody else to write 30. I have not seen the Current Events questions and don't know who wrote them. Still, like I said, this year's questions are better than they have been.

The issue of who moderates at State turns into a big disappointment each year. People do a good job and are not asked back, while others don't do a good job and are asked back.

IHSA Scholastic Bowl policies are determined largely by an Advisory Committee that meets in April or May. The IHSSBCA Chair usually is invited but not given a vote, though I was not invited last year. Because of the timing, any proposals to make improvements for next year need to be written pretty soon after this year's tournament is over. (The same thing is true for Masonics, which has a committee that meets in April.) As their name implies, they are an Advisory Committee, meaning that anything they approve must get approved by a Legislative Committee consisting of school administrators before going into effect. As a general rule, this forces them to only approve motions that are revenue neutral or better. There are a small number of items, such as season limitations, that would require a statewide vote of School Principals to change. That being said, the rules of the game are what they are because of decisions made over the years by the Advisory Committee, and primarily by coaches on the Advisory Committee.

Anybody interested in more details should look at the resources found here. Many teams exists because the IHSA Tournament exists. It is not logical for large numbers of average to below average team to exist because of a tournament whose first three rounds are single elimination, but so it goes.

EDIT: Lest I forget, the bonuses parts are read all at once, with teams given 30 seconds to confer.
Last edited by Stained Diviner on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Re: IHSA Issues

Post by abnormal abdomen »

Are there still going to be vocabulary questions? As truly entertaining as it was to see Anton destroy them at Masonic Bowl, those questions are, of course, not very good. Also, I know that this an old subject that people grow tired of discussing, but how strongly is computational math still ingrained in the general IHSA mentality? Is there any possibility of it being eradicated in the foreseeable future?
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Ditto Abid, and I'll add "crappy misc. categories like Driver's Ed." to his question.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Stained Diviner
Auron

If you have any questions about distro, go to page 6 of the Terms & Conditions.

Let me add a short note that people should not discuss individual questions in any public forum until we have confirmation that all sites did occur as planned. Check this page AND this page.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

The IHSA just sent out Regional corrections to hosts. Coaches should ask hosts whether they received and incorporated those corrections into the rounds.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

David Reinstein
Charles Martel
Wakka

Post by Charles Martel »

Part-by-part bonuses... Wow.
Adam Kalinich
MIT 2012-
Illinois Math and Science Academy 2009-2012
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Don't forget the change in blurt rule, too! :grin:
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

So, like, scholastic bowl is now quizbowl with matching tops?
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

the return of AHAN
Auron

Wait, what?
new IHSA rules wrote:Teams may answer before the moderator is done reading the bonus lead-in
or a particular part. If the answer is correct (or the team “passes”), the moderator
will inform the teams that the answer is incorrect
, and will continue reading the
lead-in (if not completed) or bonus part for the rebounding team, and start timing
three (3) seconds when completed.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
Coach G
Lulu

Post by Coach G »

"So, like, scholastic bowl is now quiz bowl with matching tops?". . .
. . . .and five players, computational math, less history, and a few miscellaneous questions.
Linda J. Greene
Rockford Auburn Coach
tinioril
Lulu

Post by tinioril »

*Doubletake*
So you can answer before the part is done being read, it'll just be always wrong?
the return of AHAN wrote:Wait, what?
new IHSA rules wrote:Teams may answer before the moderator is done reading the bonus lead-in
or a particular part. If the answer is correct (or the team “passes”), the moderator
lead-in (if not completed) or bonus part for the rebounding team, and start timing
Ned Lauber
Wheaton Warrenville South '12
Vanderbilt '16
the return of AHAN
Auron

tinioril wrote:*Doubletake*
So you can answer before the part is done being read, it'll just be always wrong?
the return of AHAN wrote:Wait, what?
That's what it says. If true, I'm sure it'll make certain coaches VERY happy. Think of it as 'zombie blurt rule.' :roll:
Jeff Price
Coach G
Lulu

Post by Coach G »

That's a typo, and will be corrected. It should read: if the answer is incorrect (or the team passes). . .
Linda J. Greene
Rockford Auburn Coach
tinioril
Lulu

Post by tinioril »

Oh phew.
Is this going to change the moderator certification test?
Ned Lauber
Vanderbilt '16
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

tinioril wrote:Is this going to change the moderator certification test?
Yes, once the official new rule book and case manual are available.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
tinioril
Lulu

Post by tinioril »

Alright, thanks.
That'll go on my summer to-do list, then.
Ned Lauber
Vanderbilt '16
Stained Diviner
Auron

I just found out that IHSA is going to keep 1/1 Grammar. I have no idea how this happened.
David Reinstein
tintinnabulation
Wakka

Post by tintinnabulation »

Leucippe and Clitophon wrote:I just found out that IHSA is going to keep 1/1 Grammar. I have no idea how this happened.
NOOOOOOO!
Brittany Trang
Ohio State
Northwestern
shrey96
Lulu

Post by shrey96 »

Leucippe and Clitophon wrote:I just found out that IHSA is going to keep 1/1 Grammar. I have no idea how this happened.
Wait...but if grammar is back, then what's being lost? Or are packets now 25/25?
Shreyas Vissapragada
Columbia University '17
Metea Valley High School '13
No Electricity Required
Wakka

Post by No Electricity Required »

shrey96 wrote:
Wait...but if grammar is back, then what's being lost? Or are packets now 25/25?
I imagine lit is taking a hit from what it was going to be.
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them
Stained Diviner
Auron

The distribution is going to be the same as last year. We thought that lit was going to increase from 4/4 to 5/5, but we were wrong.
David Reinstein