ACF Fall 2005 Announcement of Hosts

Old college threads.
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

ACF Fall 2005 Announcement of Hosts

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

The host schools for the 2005 ACF Fall tournament, to be held the weekend of November 11-13, are:

Northwest - University of British Columbia
Contact: Mike Whitaker (mwhitake at interchange dot ubc dot ca)

West - University of California at Berkeley

Southwest - Dallas TBA

Midwest - ACF Fall at the University of Chicago, TRASH Regionals at
Washington University in St. Louis
Contact for ACF: David Press ([email protected])
Contact for TRASH: Sean Phillips (allythin at hotmail dot com)

Great Lakes - Brock University

New England - Boston University

Mid-Atlantic - University of Maryland

Southeast - University of South Florida

Unless it is specified otherwise, all schools will be hosting both ACF Fall and TRASH Regionals. Announcements for each regional incarnation are forthcoming sometime in the near future. Packet guidelines and timetables will also be announced sometime soon. Until then, if you have any questions feel free to direct them to me at ekwartler at gmail dot com. We'll see you all in November.

Eric Kwartler
Tournament Coordinator, ACF Fall 2005
Jeremy Gibbs Paradox
Rikku

Re: ACF Fall 2005 Announcement of Hosts

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Paradox »

ekwartler wrote:The host schools for the 2005 ACF Fall tournament, to be held the weekend of November 11-13, are:

Midwest - ACF Fall at the University of Chicago, TRASH Regionals at
Washington University in St. Louis
Contact for ACF: David Press ([email protected])
Contact for TRASH: Sean Phillips (allythin at hotmail dot com)

OK this explains some of the messages I've been getting.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned in earlier messages or not so
I'll just reiterate it now. TRASH regs at WUSTL will actually be
hosted the week after ACF Fall (I believe another regs is doing the
same, I forget which offhand) because of the fact that we had the
TRASH bid before this whole pairing of the two tournaments idea came
about. TRASH regs will once again be paired with our GIT
tournament. So to review: GIT XI is Saturday the 19th (talk to Jon
Pinyan at pinyan AT SYMBOL gmail.com) and TRASH regs is Sunday the
20th. This is likely the last tournament I plan on running so I'm
going to try to go balls out on the prizes. I'm talking off the
damn chain here people! Hope to see you in late November.

Sean
Scipio
Wakka

Post by Scipio »

Out of curiosity: why is there no Midsouth host?

Just wondering.
Seth Lyons Kendall
University of Memphis, 1993-1997
University of Kentucky, 1997-1999, 2000-2008
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

Scipio wrote:Out of curiosity: why is there no Midsouth host?

Just wondering.
I wondered myself...it's probably because they didn't ask for one. Don't know why they didn't, though, but perhaps the low attendance had something to do with it. (9 teams, half which were you guys.)

Still not terribly excited about the 7 hour drive to Tampa, though. :/
Nick Bendler, Georgia Tech '06
Moderator emeritus
Scipio
Wakka

Post by Scipio »

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. Sad, though; oh, well.
Seth Lyons Kendall
University of Memphis, 1993-1997
University of Kentucky, 1997-1999, 2000-2008
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

ACF Fall/TRASH Regionals Mid-South

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

ACF and TRASH are pleased to announce that the University of Tennessee
at Knoxville will be hosting ACF Fall on Saturday, November 12th, with
TRASH Regionals being held on Sunday, November 13th at the University
of Tennessee at Chattanooga. The contacts for these tournaments are:

University of Tennessee at Knoxvile - Carol Guthrie (carol at jmfn dot
org)

University of Tennesse at Chattanooga - Charlie Steinhice (steinhic at
bellsouth dot net)

Both schools will be sending out details about their tournaments soon.
If you have any questions about the tournaments, feel free to direct
them to the contact people or to me at ekwartler at gmail dot com.
Thanks a lot, we'll see you there.

Eric Kwartler
UGAQuizdogs
Lulu

Post by UGAQuizdogs »

There's a home football game in Knoxville on Nov 12 against Memphis, which is a BIG deal in Tennessee- I can hardly see a tournament running at the same time as a major football game- the logistics alone boggle the mind.

Is there any talk of switching the dates (TRASH Saturday and ACF Sunday?) or doing anything to remedy this? Just curious.....
Jeremy Gibbs Paradox
Rikku

UGAQuizdogs wrote:There's a home football game in Knoxville on Nov 12 against Memphis, which is a BIG deal in Tennessee- I can hardly see a tournament running at the same time as a major football game- the logistics alone boggle the mind.

Is there any talk of switching the dates (TRASH Saturday and ACF Sunday?) or doing anything to remedy this? Just curious.....
While I realize different campuses have different particulars, I once was at a TRASH regs the same day as a UIUC football game and there was almost no conflict (other than us barely getting out before the game crowd). If the tournament site is an appropriate distance from the game & no on at UT Knoxville gives two cares, I don't see this as a problem per se.

Sean
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

[quote="allythin

While I realize different campuses have different particulars, I once was at a TRASH regs the same day as a UIUC football game and there was almost no conflict (other than us barely getting out before the game crowd). If the tournament site is an appropriate distance from the game & no on at UT Knoxville gives two cares, I don't see this as a problem per se.

Sean[/quote]

Of course, on average, Tennessee gets about 110,000 fans per game. My guess is UIUC gets a good 50,000 or so, but there really isn't any comparison between the two programs as far as attendence/congestion goes.

As someone who has been to many a Vol game, I can attest to the general bedlam that is Knoxville on gameday. ACF Fall will be worth going to in just about any conditions, but with any luck the tournament will be held at Pelissippi CC again, which is what they did last time they had ACF Fall at UT (UT was playing Duke at home that weekend). Pelissippi is nicely situated in the outskirts of Knoxvile. There was hardly any problem with traffic/crowds at Pelissippi, but downtown Knoxville is a zoo on gamedays and Neyland Stadium is right on campus.

Concerns about hosting tournaments at big time college football schools are definitely valid. Obviously a lot depends on the school and where the stadium is located, but in certain smaller college towns that get gigantic crowds (Athens, Gainesville, College Station, etc) it really would be nuts to host a tournament on a big game weekend.
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

ACF Fall/TRASH Regionals Midsouth Switch

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

ACF actually did know it was a football game weekend, and had received assurances from the University of Tennessee at Knoxville that they could hold the tournament at a local community college (as Nick Bendler suggested on the yahoo group), but after talking it over with UTK and UTC, we have decided it would be better to switch the tournaments. ACF Fall will be held on Sunday, November 13th at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville while TRASH Regionals will be held at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga on Saturday, November 12th. I hope this switch will make it more convenient for teams to attend both tournaments.

Eric Kwartler
Jeremy Gibbs Paradox
Rikku

The Shock Master wrote: Of course, on average, Tennessee gets about 110,000 fans per game. My guess is UIUC gets a good 50,000 or so, but there really isn't any comparison between the two programs as far as attendence/congestion goes.

As someone who has been to many a Vol game, I can attest to the general bedlam that is Knoxville on gameday. ACF Fall will be worth going to in just about any conditions, but with any luck the tournament will be held at Pelissippi CC again, which is what they did last time they had ACF Fall at UT (UT was playing Duke at home that weekend). Pelissippi is nicely situated in the outskirts of Knoxvile. There was hardly any problem with traffic/crowds at Pelissippi, but downtown Knoxville is a zoo on gamedays and Neyland Stadium is right on campus.

Concerns about hosting tournaments at big time college football schools are definitely valid. Obviously a lot depends on the school and where the stadium is located, but in certain smaller college towns that get gigantic crowds (Athens, Gainesville, College Station, etc) it really would be nuts to host a tournament on a big game weekend.
This is a moot point, but upon further remembrance, it was actually a Bears game at UIUC while they renovated Soldier Field. Not that it really matters, and you do present valid concerns. Glad to hear this'll work out for all interested.