VA/MD/DC Summer Singles

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
trial and error
Lulu

VA/MD/DC Summer Singles

Post by trial and error »

DC area quiz bowlers:

If there is enough interest, the second annual DC area summer tournament will either be held at the University of Maryland at College Park sometime soon. Invitation uses the same criteria as last year: Anyone who played high school quiz bowl on a local A team—or powerhouse B team—during the past academic year is invited to play. Other players may register and will be admitted provided that there is room.

If it works, the date is June 24: the first three weekends in June are NAQT, PACE, and Panasonic, and Montgomery County and TJ have exams and graduations throughout those weeks.

My sense is that most later dates will conflict with summer jobs, vacations, and other programs. In addition, seniors will be leaving for college at varying times in late August.

Email me (contrasedative at gmail) or post to this thread with the days / date ranges that you'll be available. If you have any general information, such as dates for school events that will make a lot of your teammates unavailable, please note that as well.

One more stumbling block: the last time I checked, we didn't have questions. ACF Fall 04 is not going to be blind to a number of the players I think would be interested, but another set of comparable difficult and consistency (if it exists) would be great. Can any college players help out with that?

Sharon Wong
Richard Montgomery HS
Even the simplist task can be done rong.
jewtemplar
Wakka

Post by jewtemplar »

Check out the naqt set that has bounced from gds, to blair, to nothing as of yet. They may let it go cheaper.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

you could ask matt weiner for the set he was going to use at Freeman's HALO tournament (which was of course canceled). any idea yet what the fees will be? also, since its a summer exhibition type of tournament, will coalition teams be allowed? (hah i just wanted to say that word coalition, rolls off the tongue nicely, but it is indeed a serious question)
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

It's a singles tournament. . .
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
iamsam
Lulu

Post by iamsam »

Matt Morrison wrote:you could ask matt weiner for the set he was going to use at Freeman's HALO tournament (which was of course canceled). any idea yet what the fees will be? also, since its a summer exhibition type of tournament, will coalition teams be allowed? (hah i just wanted to say that word coalition, rolls off the tongue nicely, but it is indeed a serious question)
DumbJaques wrote:It's a singles tournament. . .
Dan Greenstein wrote:
Dolemite wrote:
DaGeneral wrote:Suns in 4 if then win tonite, 5 if they don't.

I suggest thinking this over.
Let him be. Every place has its village idiot.
Either something has tainted the waters, or this is contagious.
Carpe Cerevisi
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Matt Morrison wrote:you could ask matt weiner for the set he was going to use at Freeman's HALO tournament (which was of course canceled). any idea yet what the fees will be? also, since its a summer exhibition type of tournament, will coalition teams be allowed? (hah i just wanted to say that word coalition, rolls off the tongue nicely, but it is indeed a serious question)
I think the idea here is to step up the level of difficulty a little bit. I was definitely impressed watching the kids that came last year play on the ACF Fall set, and I don't think that playing on a junior bird/ACF Fall level set this year would be out of the question.

Would Swarthmore, or perhaps a team from farther out west be willing to donate/offer at low cost a set for this tournament?
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
trial and error
Lulu

ATTENTION:

Date: Friday, June 24, 2005

Time: Let's start at 8:45 a.m.

Location: University of Maryland at College Park (rooms and buildings TBA; I will email you with the necessary information before the tournament)

Registration: Email me right now, but no later than Wednesday, June 22, with your name and high school team affiliation (2004-2005 season) at contrasedative at gmail dot-com.

After excessive discussion with too many people about this, we are going forth with this. We want at least sixteen people for the standard individuals format, which I'll use unless I hear any better ideas really early in these next two weeks.

Because of some communication issues, I request that all further comments be posted here directly or emailed to me, though I will address any comments or complaints here anyway.
trial and error
Lulu

Due to sufficient interest but insufficient attendance / registration, the tournament will be postponed but not canceled. Prospective dates include the weekend of August 13/14 (either Saturday or Sunday, not both). My reasoning is that I think that is one of the last weekends before people leave for college or possibly return to high school, which hopefully makes it more likely that everyone will be done with other summer plans by then. I'm eager to hear it if you have different ideas on this.

So, pending other suggestions and unforeseen factors, August 13 or so will probably be confirmed a little later. I'll make a post here, but email me at contrasedative at gmail-dot-com if you would like an update by email as well.
trial and error
Lulu

Word on the street is that August 6 is the preferred date—i.e., I am told that more people will be away for other weekends in August than the first one. Please register now (email me) so that we can get a sense of how many people to expect. Everyone who indicated interest before should also have received an email asking for a new RSVP.
DavidH
Lulu

Post by DavidH »

I would love to make the trip back east, but I'll be in Belgium... so I'm not terribly upset.
trial and error
Lulu

Just to clarify, the date is set at Saturday, August 6. People who had confirmed the tournament for the other date: you must send another email (contrasedative at gmail) unless your name is Evan Silberman, Dan Wright, Michael Braun, Daniel Rowlands, or Chris Ray.

Though this tournament was originally directed at the local circuit, out-of-state quiz bowlers are also welcome to participate if they can be in town that day, provided they send some word of registration.

eta: We are using SNEWT IX for this tournament. I apologize for any confusion that the change in plans has caused.
Ratatosk of ER
Lulu

Post by Ratatosk of ER »

I take it I'm already registered. Thanks.

BTW, what is the cost?

Also, I don't suppose you could keep a list of who's registered on this thread?
---Daniel from Eleanor Roosevelt

Ave Minerva.
trial and error
Lulu

No cost to attend--due to the generosity of college quiz bowl teams' assistance, you don't have to pay, just like last year.

I was reluctant to post a field because I'm waiting for a word from five or six more people who have expressed interest. For now, here's a list of registered players.

Evan Silberman
Dan Wright
Michael Braun
Daniel Rowlands
Chris Ray
Zach Klitzman
Sam Lederer
Jeffrey Siegel
Alex Kaufman
Humza Kazmi
Zach Witeof
last edited on Wednesday, August 3

The rest of you are encouraged to register by Wednesday, August 3 at the very latest, but preferably as soon as you know your weekend plans.
Last edited by trial and error on Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Damn, I was looking forward to playing this year, but I wont be in town again. I hope everything goes well.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
trial and error
Lulu

Congratulations to Sam Lederer (TJ), who won the second annual Summer Singles tournament by defeating Chris Ray (RM). In the consolation finals, Humza Kazmi (RM) took third and Michael Braun took fourth.

Much thanks to everyone who showed up to play, from near and far; and a more specific thank you to our volunteers: Rebecca Fischer, Casey Retterer, and the Siegel family.

This tournament could not have been run without the packets from SNEWT IX, supplied by Swarthmore, and UMD's buzzers, supplied by Casey.