RMP (or just M) singles?

Old college threads.
setht
Auron

RMP (or just M) singles?

Post by setht »

Are people interested in the possibility of a singles tournament on religion/myth/philosophy, or just myth? I'd be willing to write a myth singles tournament, or the myth portion of an rmp tournament, if someone else wants to handle the religion and philosophy. I'd be even more willing to play such a tournament, if anyone else is interested in writing one.

-Seth

p.s.--if you have any thoughts on when such a tournament should be held, or on the proper breakdown between Greek myth/all other myth, feel free to weigh in.

p.p.s.--if you're interested in playing a religion and/or philosophy tournament, but not myth, I guess you can talk about that, if you want. Pervert.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Call me a pervert if you wish, but I'd most be interested in just a Religion/Philo tournament, though this is most certainly colored by my knowledge of approximately 0 myth. I'd certainly still play a RMP tournament, however. The last two subject-specific tournaments have been excellent and I have no doubt that this would continue the trend.
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
Romero
Wakka

Post by Romero »

How about for the next Chicago Open?

I would be willing to write at least the Religion portion of such a tournament.

Chris
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

I'd be willing to help write religion or mythology, but much more willing to play.

Susan
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

If the history singles are ever a possibility, I'd be happy to render whatever assistance I could via writing questions if I was unable to play.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
DanTheClam
Lulu

Post by DanTheClam »

I'd be delighted to play in an RMP singles tournament or to write some philosophy for it. An entire RMP tournament's worth would probably be too much, but I could probably write half a tournament's worth of good philosophy questions.
Scipio
Wakka

Post by Scipio »

I'd definitely play in a myth tournament, or an RMP tournament; and if Seth/Susan did the first one, I'd cheerfully write the second one.
Seth Lyons Kendall
University of Memphis, 1993-1997
University of Kentucky, 1997-1999, 2000-2008
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

I too would potentially be willing to write a myth singles tournament, and I think it would be worthwhile, if a majority of people were in favor of a singles that narrow in focus. I'd likely be somewhat less apt at religion and philosophy writing, especially the latter.

Let it be noted that I restrained myself from advocating a geography singles in that poll, despite the fact that I'd laugh my ass off and probably love playing it.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I'd probably play anything except geography or science, although I think social science would also be ill-advised. There just aren't anywhere near 400 tossupable social science topics.

I'm equally intrigued by either the history or RMP events. Perhaps instead of deciding between M and RMP we could just do RM? There's enough crossover there anyway that usually the same person knows both on a team, and there's plenty of easy giveaways regardless, but philosophy attracts a different set of players.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org