Best teams in your state?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Kevin
Wakka

Best teams in your state?

Post by Kevin »

It's pretty hard to rank teams outside of your area, since often there's no more than a tournament or two and hearsay to judge them on. But often times you play the teams in your city or state multiple times over the course of a year. So who would you rank as the best teams in your state? I figure it's good to get an idea of the best teams in each state so people have a better idea of an individual state than a national ranking might give.

Louisiana
1. Caddo Magnet--I've played against them five times this year and they've won three, including both championship matches we've had against them. They've also won several other tournaments. They are very senior-heavy, though, probably more so than any other school on this list. They'll still be good, though, no doubt.
2. Jesuit--okay, so I'm biased. But I think I can make a pretty good argument that we're better than anyone else in the state this year except for Caddo. We've done well in KMO (15th in the country and number 1 in the state in fall) and Quiznet (2ns in the country in the fall, champions in the winter). And in regular tournaments this year, we've only lost to Caddo and Newman with a full-strength or near-full-strength squad and to Cedar Creek, but with all three of our best players missing.
3. Newman--we played them twice this year, both at NAQT. We lost on a disputed question in the preliminary rounds (a dispute which we didn't press too far since it was only the preliminaries) and won in overtime in the semifinals. They can and have beaten both of the teams above them, but overall I think they're slightly behind both.
4. Vandebilt--haven't played against them this year. They did beat Newman for 3rd place in the NAQT State Championship, but I think they lost to Newman at LAAC. It's almost a tie, but I think Newman has a slight edge.
5. Cedar Creek--I've never played against them, but they have won tournaments and are a very good team.
rockgrant
Kimahri

Florida

Post by rockgrant »

Here's my ranking for Florida:

1) Rickards (Tallahassee)
2) Eastside (Gainesville)
3) Leon (Tallahassee)
4) Woodham (Pensacola)
5) Niceville (Panama City)
6) Suwannee (um...Suwannee...i think..)
7) Ransom Everglades (Miami)
8) Vero Beach (Vero Beach)
9) Vanguard (Ocala)
10) Taylor (Perry)
alch2
Lulu

Alabama teams

Post by alch2 »

1-Grissom
2-Russellville
3a-Indian Springs
3b-JCIB
3c-LAMP
3d-Bob Jones
7-Clay-Chalkville

1st-Grissom, as usual, only played in the ASCA State Tournament--and won, of course. They only lost to JCIB in the prelims and beat Russellville twice. This warrants a 1st place in Alabama for this year.

2nd-Russellville had a good year, despite all the shakiness. They defeated all 5 other teams(not Grissom). Next year will be theirs, I think.

3rd-Indian Springs got hot in early December all the way into late February with an impressive tournament-winning streak, defeating all 5 at different times(except Grissom). They were quite dominant this year.

3rd-JCIB was impressive at the state tournament, defeating Grissom, Bob Jones, and LAMP on the way to 3rd place.

3rd-LAMP had an ok year, doing horribly at one invitational but much better at others...we never played Grissom, never beat Russellville or Indian Springs, but were 1-1 vs JCIB, 4-1 vs Bob Jones, and 1-0 vs C-C

3rd-Bob Jones, NAQT state champion, had a very nice year w/ Neel and Richard. They won quite a few tournaments and played impressively.

7th-Clay-Chalkville was a one-man team, but they did win a tournament or two, and also finished tied for 5th in the ASCA tournament
jewtemplar
Wakka

Post by jewtemplar »

In VA, there are a few teams who have both beaten and lost to each other in semifinal and final rounds. St. Anne's Belfield, Maggie Walker Gov, and Thomas Jefferson seem to be jockeying for hegemony at every tournament. Langley, Princess Anne, and Oakton seem to be consolidating their power as well. We also play maryland and dc teams at almost every tournament, so i might as well give my two cents on them. In DC i'd have to say Gonzaga, St. Anselm's Georgetown Day and Sidwell are among the best, although Banneker fields a lot of teams and is pretty fast. The two best in Maryland (from my standpoint) are Montgomery Blair and Walter Johnson, two very fast teams who almost always find their way to the semifinals or better. Blake, Centennial, and Churchill are very solid teams, while Quince Orchard and ERS, veritable powerhouses of yesteryear, seem to be playing 3 member A teams very often, and may be having an off year. That's my opinion, anyway
ManiacalClown
Lulu

Post by ManiacalClown »

Arkansas

1. Benton - Sure, it's pimping my own team, but in all seriousness, we're a well-rounded team with the capability of going toe to toe with the top teams in the rest of the country.

2. Cutter Morning Star - They're a one man team, but they're the stiffest one man team you'll probably ever see. Jason is just redicuously good and absolutely FEARED down here. His team is considered one of the favorites at every tournament they enter. He does have his weaknessess, like anyone, but I'm not about to divulge them. :)

3. Morrilton - Another fairly well-rounded team who's taken us to the brink on multiple occasions this year. Watch out for them on those African capitals.

4. Cathloic High - The only private school in the state that has a legitimate quiz bowl program, more or less. They know a lot of information and will always put up a fight. E.J., their captain, answers most of the toss-ups, but the others do contribute on a few buzzes and on the conferring questions to keep it even.

5. North Little Rock - Good team, but fairly quiet. 3rd place team at 5A State this year came as a surprise to me, really, and is mostly why they're on here. I'll be keeping my eye on them next year.

6. Watson Chapel - Poor guys got moved from 4A to 5A this year which is always a bit disorienting for a year or so. Despite this, they qualified as a wildcard for 5A State out of what was easily the most difficult region and shocked everyone, including themselves, by playing very well and ending up 4th overall. Not to mention they defeated Fort Smith Northside at our invitational, which in Arkansas feels about as good as winning the state title after their dominance of the past 3 years.

Teams to Watch:

Fort Smith Northside - Had a building year this time around. Larry Jones has a reputation for coaching teams to greatness, however.

Conway - Were a great team last year but lost some key seniors. Hopefully they can regain the past glory.

Huntsville - Where have THEY been lately?

Bald Knob - Ditto.

Arkansas School for Mathematics and Sciences - Had a good go around last year, best player graduated, and then my sister stepped up and took the coaching position. Hopefully her second year at the helm will be more productive.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

In what was a down year for West Virginia:

#1. George Washington (Charleston) - Has been one of the top teams the past four years, winning the state title three of those. Not a spectacular team, but to my understanding they're mainly juniors, so next year they might step up to the next level and do well at a national tournament.
#2. Cabell Midland (Ona) - GW's main rival this past year, and who I honestly expected to win states. Probably one of the favorites for next year's state meet, too, as 3/5 of their varsity team are juniors. Also, their junior varsity teams usually won the jv tournaments, when there were any.
#3. Ripley (Ripley) - Ripley experienced most of their success earlier in the year, with two or three of their four wins coming in the first few months of the season. However, once GW and Cabell started participating regularly, Ripley fell a little bit behind these two. I have no information regarding how they will perform next year.
The gap between the top three teams and the rest is fairly wide, as GW, CM, and Ripley combined to win eight of the eleven tournaments in the state, with the other three going to University High, Spotswood VA, and Dunbar KY.
#4. Charleston Catholic (Charleston) - Did very well this past year, especially considering they're in the smallest school division of the three the state has. They placed in the top four a couple of times in varsity tournaments which combined all three divisions of teams, and also finished second overall in the state tournament while winning class A.
#5. University (Morgantown) - Pretty much here by default.
ebellnaqt
Lulu

Oklahoma

Post by ebellnaqt »

1. Booker T. Washington. Won the OSSAA 5A state tournament and the NAQT Oklahoma qualifier. Balanced across the board. Losing most of its current varsity firepower but is blessed with the state's best JV by far.

2. Edmond Memorial. 2nd in 5A, Won both OQBA tournaments, but never had to face the full BTW team in the tournaments they won and lost their only three head-to-head games. Also losing nearly everything, and unlike BTW, don't seem to have much in the pipe.

3. Holland Hall. Sophomore Matt is certainly the state's top underclassmen, but this is decidedly not a one-man team. Won OSSAA 3A with the highest-scoring average in the state and blasted Edmond Memorial at OQBA Fall, narrowly losing rematch at OQBA Spring. Losing their coach after this year; remains to be seen what they will do without her.

4. Edmond North. Good this year (3rd in 5A) despite playing almost no tournaments, keeps everything for next year.

5. Drummond. Small school express (50 kids 9-12) just keeps on rolling. Nine consecutive state titles and counting plus an impressive resume of giving headaches to (or beating) major large-school powers.

6. Rock Creek. Oklahoma Class A champion gave Washington all they wanted at NAQT Oklahoma and nearly beat Holland Hall at OQBA Spring. Hasn't quite gotten over the hump like Drummond, but well on their way.

7. Idabel. Autistic sophomore Bobby Hefley led them to 3A semifinals in their first year. Too far away to play a lot of tournaments, but definitely a possibility.

8. Enid. Too slow to play OSSAA very well but shined at NAQT tournaments, including NAQT Oklahoma where they surprised Edmond Memorial. Losing everyone, though; it remains to be seen what's left.

9. Canton. Lost A finals to Rock Creek on last-second heartbreaker, but returns everyone for next year.

10. Putnam City North. Surprised Santa Fe and Norman North to make 5A state playoffs, definitely someone to be watched out for.
ManiacalClown
Lulu

Post by ManiacalClown »

Why do I remember losing to Edmond Memorial in the finals of the NAQT Oklahoma qualifier? Am I getting my tournaments confused? :(
ebellnaqt
Lulu

OQBA Fall

Post by ebellnaqt »

You're not confused. Holland Hall beat Edmond Memorial in the prelims; the HH-Edmond rematch never happened because Classen A upset HH in the quarterfinals.

ESB
ebellnaqt
Lulu

Tournaments

Post by ebellnaqt »

Actually, you might be. NAQT Oklahoma was last weekend at OU. Neither HH nor Benton was there. You all lost to Edmond at the OQBA Fall (my tournament) at El Reno.

ESB
ASimPerson
Rikku

Re: Alabama teams

Post by ASimPerson »

alch2 wrote:1st-Grissom, as usual, only played in the ASCA State Tournament--and won, of course. They only lost to JCIB in the prelims and beat Russellville twice. This warrants a 1st place in Alabama for this year.
Yeah, it was frustrating not to see Grissom any besides their own tournament and the ASCA circuit (as per usual). However, we had beaten them at every encounter (ASCA regionals and both of the Huntsville City All-Star teams) until the semi-finals of the state tournament. What can I say...we didn't have a good game and Robbie developed some sort of psychic ability.
2nd-Russellville had a good year, despite all the shakiness. They defeated all 5 other teams(not Grissom). Next year will be theirs, I think.
Russellville has been very shaky this year. They haven't lost to us, but they lost to Indian Springs (at least twice: in the finals of our tournament and at NAQT state) and got upset by Albertville at NAQT state. They also lost narrowly to Clay-Chalkville there. (They beat us there on the last tossup of the match.) But, yeah, they should win next year.
3rd-Indian Springs got hot in early December all the way into late February with an impressive tournament-winning streak, defeating all 5 at different times(except Grissom). They were quite dominant this year.
Yeah, it was certainly surprising to see them lose at ASCA regionals.
3rd-JCIB was impressive at the state tournament, defeating Grissom, Bob Jones, and LAMP on the way to 3rd place.
All I want to say is that I wish we had that match back. :/ But, hey, can't do anything about asinine fill-in-the-blank questions.....
3rd-LAMP had an ok year, doing horribly at one invitational but much better at others...we never played Grissom, never beat Russellville or Indian Springs, but were 1-1 vs JCIB, 4-1 vs Bob Jones, and 1-0 vs C-C
You guys were good. I still shudder at the memories of that blowout at Vandy.....shame y'all weren't at NAQT state, though.
3rd-Bob Jones, NAQT state champion, had a very nice year w/ Neel and Richard. They won quite a few tournaments and played impressively.
"Quite a few"? I wish. :D We've only won at Bevill State, Holy Spirit (defeating Indian Springs in the finals) and NAQT State (going 8-1 in round robin, losing only to Russellville). We frustratingly came in second a couple of times, though. (Huntsville City and Russellville tournaments.) However, I believe Russellville will be at Snead State tomorrow, and barring any weird upsets or "what sound does this bird make" tossups, we should see them.
7th-Clay-Chalkville was a one-man team, but they did win a tournament or two, and also finished tied for 5th in the ASCA tournament
I dunno, they aquired that other guy in addition to David Chen and did surpsingly well at NAQT State. (We beat them on the last tossup, but they lost to Holy Spirit, Bibb County, and Indian Springs. We should've beaten them at ASCA state, but oh well.)

I guess overall I weigh more heavily towards to NAQT state. Everyone was there except for Grissom and LAMP, and I feel it allowed less room for flukes and encouraged having a deeper team than any worksheet round ever possibly could. In reflection of this, I have my personal ranking for Alabama teams (and regional play refers to out of state competions, like the ones held at UTC and Vandy):

1) Russellville (in reflection of their play at ASCA state and at regional competitions throughout the year)
2) LAMP (Finish at ASCA was probably a fluke considering regional competition strength)
2) Bob Jones (Didn't win a bunch of tournaments they should have won, but came out one top of the NAQT gauntlent (8-1 record, most points, most powers). Okay in regional play, qualifing for the playoffs at both Vandy fall and UTC spring, but losing in the first round each time (blownout by LAMP at Vandy and a narrow loss at UTC))
4) Indian Springs (A lot like us, except they can beat Russellville. Losing at ASCA regionals was bad, though)
4) Grissom (Anything lower would be disprecting their ASCA state title. Lack of play at anything non-ASCA and bad showing by their all-star teams at their own tournament did not help their case. I guess one could argue they won when it counted and they I have some sour grapes, but hey.)
6) Clay-Chalkville
?) JCIB (Simply didn't see enough of them to rank)
Nick Bendler, Georgia Tech '06
Moderator emeritus
vn_H
Kimahri

about WV

Post by vn_H »

West Virginias teams rankings for next year are severely skewed. George Washington had 4 seniors and 1 junior, and Cabell Midland had 2 seniors, who were 2 of their better players. Ripley beat Cabell Midland 7 times, Cabell beat Ripley 4 times. Ripley is 4 juniors and 1 senior, the best player being a junior. Ripley is a sure thing next year for WV.
PIMPZ
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: about WV

Post by AKKOLADE »

vn_H wrote:West Virginias teams rankings for next year are severely skewed. George Washington had 4 seniors and 1 junior, and Cabell Midland had 2 seniors, who were 2 of their better players. Ripley beat Cabell Midland 7 times, Cabell beat Ripley 4 times. Ripley is 4 juniors and 1 senior, the best player being a junior. Ripley is a sure thing next year for WV.
Firstly, let me apologize for getting the senior-underclassman distribution incorrect for George Washington. The fact that they're losing four-fifths of their varsity team for next year does affect my assessment of their future performance. However, GW has a history of having strong teams, so I'd keep my eye on them nevertheless.

Next, Cabell appeared to me as a fairly well rounded team from one to five, which caused me to assume that they would be able to go past the loss of their two players. They may still do such; time will only tell.

Rather than attempting to pick apart your arguments against my view, I'm just going to say the following: while one bit of information in my post was incorrect, it didn't chance the meaning of the post, which was to pick out the top five teams in the state for the <i>current</i> season, not the future one. As a sidebar, I was saying that I believed both Cabell and GW would do well next year. While I did overstate GW's prospects due to the bad information, I continue to believe they will do respectably next year. So, in short, I stand by my rankings for this past year, which, coincidentally, are not for the next year.[/url]
CHSJrVar2003#1
Kimahri

Other Teams on the GA Scene

Post by CHSJrVar2003#1 »

OK, yes, I know I may be tooting the horn of my own school, but when you think of Academic Competition in GA, there are a few elite that come to mind, examples being Parkview, Brookwood, Milton, Walton, etc. etc. Just to let y'all know, there are other GA schools that can definitely hold their own at regional or national competitions, and I'm proud to say I go to one of those: Central Macon. Granted, the name doesn't incite fear deep in your hearts like that of Brookwood or Walton, nor does it incite the same kind of fear I experience when I hear that we have to play them. But seriously, you can never exclude the team who consistantly finishes well in tournaments, sure you can praise the champions all you want to, as do I, but look in the woodwork at the teams who are always right there in the running. Some times they may not be spectacular, but you know they have the potential to beat you in a close match. I am writing this mainly to say that my experience with Quizbowl is that anything is possible. Yes this sounds highly unlikely, like some 1A school beating Parkview by 200 points, but honestly, you never know, it could happen. Don't count out the smaller schools or the ones that can't afford to travel as much, coz at Nationals, they could give you a run for your money.
CHSJrVar2003#1
Kimahri

added apendage

Post by CHSJrVar2003#1 »

one thing i forgot to mention is my sentiment towards competing @ the state level in an overall championship, i mean sure division play is good and fair, but as a player I would enjoy having oh maybe the top 2 teams in each division and then 6 wild cards play in an overall state title tournament.....any comments from Mr. Barry are extremely welcome :)
jeffburns1
Lulu

overall championship

Post by jeffburns1 »

Having an overall championship encompassing all the divisions is an interesting idea. There are two problems though: 1) it would require four more rounds of questions minimum (maybe five if you want a cushion) which means more money and more trouble. Just ask the question writers how they feel about 16 or 17 rounds instead of 11 or 12. 2) It would be a longer day. Imagine tacking 2-3 hours at the end of Georgia State Varsity, which has already gone Friday night and all day Saturday. Still, there may be ways to work it out.
emactruman
Lulu

MI

Post by emactruman »

Here is my top 60 for the state of Michigan.
1) Detroit Catholic Central A
2) Troy
3) Okemos
4) Battle Creek Harper Creek
5) Detroit Country Day A
6) Bloomfield Hills Andover
7) Birmingham Seaholm
8) Petoskey A
9) Bloomfield Hills Lahser A
10) Hartland A
11) Milford
12) Detroit Catholic Central B
13) Port Huron Northern
14) Grand Ledge
15) Saginaw Heritage
16) Kent City
17) Flint Carman Ainsworth
18) Warren Mott
19) Saline
20) Woodhaven

21) Centreville
22) St. Joseph's
23) Harbor Beach
24) Grand Blanc
25) Grosse Pte. North
26) Big Rapids
27) Flushing
28) Muskegon Oakridge
29) Utica Eisenhower
30) White Cloud
31) Lansing Eastern
32) Grand Rapids Catholic Central
33) Lansing Everett
34) Fraser
35) Williamston
36) Dansville
37) Ashley
38) Newaygo
39) Quincy A
40) Stockbridge

41) Flint Kearsley
42) Port Huron
43) Davison
44) Leslie
45) Corunna
46) Sterling Hts.
47) Kalamazoo Christian A
48) Southgate Anderson
49) DeWitt
50) Trenton
51) Sandusky
52) Howell
53) Linden
54) Bridgman
55) Grosse Pte. South
56) Sault Ste. Marie
57) Warren Immcaulate Conception A
58) Brethren
59) Kalamazoo Christian B
60) Owosso
emactruman
Lulu

re: MI

Post by emactruman »

for some reason every eight is a emoticon
2001NAQTNationalChamps
Lulu

Re: MI

Post by 2001NAQTNationalChamps »

emactruman wrote:Here is my top 60 for the state of Michigan.
1) Detroit Catholic Central A
I like that.
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

10) Hartland A
I like that even more.
2001NAQTNationalChamps
Lulu

Dolemite wrote:
10) Hartland A
I like that even more.
:lol:
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

Honestly does anyone really care who the 48th ranked high school team in Michigan is? Beyond the top 5 or 10, it seems rather arbitrary.

And hell, it's creepy that some guy who's been out of high school for a few years, didn't even play for a contending school, and has no affiliation with any current school is so obsessed with Michigan high school quiz bowl...

-Lafer
2001NAQTNationalChamps
Lulu

MLafer wrote:Honestly does anyone really care who the 48th ranked high school team in Michigan is? Beyond the top 5 or 10, it seems rather arbitrary.

And hell, it's creepy that some guy who's been out of high school for a few years, didn't even play for a contending school, and has no affiliation with any current school is so obsessed with Michigan high school quiz bowl...

-Lafer
C'mon Matt, it's important to rank teams which aren't even CC or Hartland's bitches they are so bad.
The Time Keeper
Auron

My Top Six in MI

Post by The Time Keeper »

Since I played all of these teams this year, I figured I'd throw up a top six in MI of my own just for comparison

1. Detroit Catholic Central A
2. Troy
3. Okemos
4. Detroit Country Day A
5. Andover
6. Detroit Catholic Central B

2-5 can be pretty interchangable, but that's where I think they stand for now. I stopped at six because I don't really think any team below that level is worth ranking.

Note: I don't really care if these seem accurate or not.

Note: If you disagree with any of this, I'll slap you and light you on fire.
ger8045
Kimahri

Kentucky

Post by ger8045 »

Top Five Kentucky Teams

1. Pikeville
2. Johnson Central
3.Dunbar
4. Apollo
5. DuPont
barbary_pirate
Kimahri

Post by barbary_pirate »

I generally find it difficult to judge Kentucky Teams according to Governor's Cup results. The Governor's Cup Competition uses a format dissimilar to most regional and national tournaments. The content of the questions is usually easier than those out of state. Pikeville, which dominated at Governor's Cup, lost quickly at Dunbar's tournament, which used a "typical" southeast format. However, Johnson Central did get to the finals before losing to DCC.
jrbarry
Tidus

Georgia Overall Champions

Post by jrbarry »

GATA used to sponsor an overall (all-class) championship. The last time we did that was 1991. As there were 4 classes in those days, the A champ played the AAAA champ in one semi and the AA champ played the AAA champ in the other semi. We voted to drop that process since no other activity in this state plays that way. It seemed to cheapen the class championships to have an overall champion.
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Re: Georgia Overall Champions

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

jrbarry wrote: It seemed to cheapen the class championships to have an overall champion.
I agree with that move. While I think it would be interesting to see who would come out on top, I think it means a lot to be able to come back to your school and say "We're the State Champions!" without having to put an asterisk next to that (e.g., "We're tops in Class AAA but really only the 5th best overall."). I think the whole point of class play is so that teams/schools that may have a small base of students and resources to draw from won't have to go up against schools that start off with an advantage in that respect. That's already the case at most other tournaments, anyway.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

jrbarry wrote:We voted to drop that process since no other activity in this state plays that way. It seemed to cheapen the class championships to have an overall champion.
I totally agree with this idea, and believe it'd be best if states that use class systems, including West Virginia, would just drop the overall championship portion of state tournaments. However, I wonder how one could fairly determine which team would represent your state for any tournaments like the Panasonic national, assuming you sent a non-all-star team. Any opinions?
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

leftsaidfred wrote:I wonder how one could fairly determine which team would represent your state for any tournaments like the Panasonic national, assuming you sent a non-all-star team. Any opinions?
Well... you could send an all-star team instead. I know that's not the point of the question, but... wouldn't a team of the top six in WV have a better shot than a team with maybe one good player, 2 pretty good players, and a couple of decent ones? I wonder if anyone's ever done a comparison to see how all-star teams, on average, perform in comparison to single-school teams.

Of course, that's only a factor at Panasonic, since every other "national" allows as many teams from a state as can qualify, and don't allow all-star teams at all.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

NoahMinkCHS wrote:Well... you could send an all-star team instead. I know that's not the point of the question, but... wouldn't a team of the top six in WV have a better shot than a team with maybe one good player, 2 pretty good players, and a couple of decent ones? I wonder if anyone's ever done a comparison to see how all-star teams, on average, perform in comparison to single-school teams.
I can't and won't argue with that; however, the current viewpoint of the ruling body of that state is that the overall champion is the representative at Panasonic as a reward of sorts for being the state champion. Also, there's the 'old school' view (if it could be called that) that the emphasis should be placed on team accomplishments, as opposed to individual. I can see where they're coming from, and I can see where you're coming from. In a way, it's a comparison of apples and oranges.
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

I'm in 100% agreement that teams should come first, even if that's not how my last post came across. I'm not a huge fan of keeping individual stats or having other all-star recognitions, because they tend to make some players feel they need to worry more about that than the team's overall score. Maybe that's why, out of the 5 "nationals" that are generally mentioned, only one allows all-star teams; but since that's the rule there, it seems to me that it might make a state more competitive to accept that and somehow name an all-star team.

Perhaps one way to prevent individuals from worrying about their own stats would be to have the coach of each class's champion name one or two of his or her team members to the state team; that way, the individuals will be named by the one person who knows their play best, rather than how they performed on one weekend. Another method would be as I think we do in Ga., and have a multi-level selection process unrelated to the state tournament at all.
emactruman
Lulu

A response to Mr. Lafer

Post by emactruman »

First of all, you have one valid point about me. Yes, I did play for a pathetic team in high school. Which is part of the reason I am so interested in ranking the teams. We played in a league my senior year and won the championship. Thus, we (this meaning some of my teamates, not myself due to the fact that had gone to tournaments without the rest of the team as an observer or sometimes a score keeper)
were lured into a false sense of exactly were we stood amongst the rest of the state.
The rest of what you said is inacurate Mr. Lafer. I just finished my first year in college at Wayen State in MI. I was serving as an asistant coach to my former coach Mike McClain at Truman High School, in Taylor. In addition, I plan on running a tournament next year at Allen Park Cabrini High School on a date to be determined.
On a final note, I am not pleased with the hostility shown to me in your previous statement. Especially, considering for the last two years have traveled to tournaments ran by your program at UofM and help in terms of score keeping.
NRLYAGODD
Lulu

Post by NRLYAGODD »

Top Teams in Alabama

(check the ALabama string for my explanations, but in short...)

1. Russellville
2. LAMP
3. Bob Jones
4. Indian Springs
5. Grissom
6. Clay-Chalkville
7. JCIB
harshrealm
Lulu

Post by harshrealm »

In Georgia, the only really dominant team I saw was Walton. Brookwood, Milton, and Parkview fielded solid, even good teams, but nothing like the teams of 2001. I see a resurgence of Brookwood dominance in 2003-2004 for this state, with Walton graduating so many seniors.

Sherri Sheu
Pdev
Kimahri

Post by Pdev »

South Carolina Top 5
1.Dorman
Tie 2.Fort Mill
Tie 2.Dorman B
4.James Island
5.Aiken.
CaddoJeff
Kimahri

Best in Louisiana

Post by CaddoJeff »

I go to Caddo Magnet and am one of their top scorers. As far as I know, we've played Jesuit four times this year, and only lost once, on a blown challenge. But Jesuit might have played us at a tournament where our first team didn't compete. For example, we attended the Yale tournament instead of Cedar Creek, sending a JV team to the latter. I agree with Kevin's assessment of Louisiana, sort of.

We at Caddo Magnet have one of the best teams we've ever had, at least the best in five years, which we consider to be our height. This even though we got 2nd place at the D.C. phase of N.A.C. two years ago. This year, since our budget is in the negative, we were not able to travel to the Georgia tournaments. However, at Yale, we did not consider Dorman A to be that impressive compared to Jonathan Hess's Irmo of last year that we faced more than once.

Watch out for Caddo Magnet, we just might win it all at Myrtle Beach.

My list for the best in LA:

1. Caddo Magnet- We are, without a doubt, the best. Not to toot my own horn, but come on. This year we have the edge. Next year's team is beyond horrible though. Our entire varsity team is made up of seniors.

2. (tie) Isadore Newman - Although their team is not as good as last year's team, I feel that they are the only team that can consitently give us a challenge. They barely, and I mean barely have the edge over Jesuit. In fact, I'll call it a tie, for any game those two play always come down to the last question. They are nearly identical teams.

2. (tie) Jesuit- Jesuit is a school that we match up very well against. I believe we may be the only team in the state that can beat them on a non-random basis. Jesuit is very close to a one-man team however, as the guy who started the thread, Kevin, answers 90% of their questions.

4. Cedar Creek- Cedar Creek is just better than Vandebilt- pure and simple. Although Vandebilt beat them, twice, at LAAC, i sat in on those games. Clearly flukes, the both of them. I think Cedar Creek would do much better at national competition, which still would not be very good.

5. Vandebilt Catholic- Vandebilt had a good team last year, but they were more pompous than skilled. Only by luck did they happen to win our "official" state championship last year. In an NAQT format, they quickly and horribly get slaughtered as their knowledge base is thin. Speed is their only gift.
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

harshrealm wrote:In Georgia, the only really dominant team I saw was Walton. Brookwood, Milton, and Parkview fielded solid, even good teams, but nothing like the teams of 2001. I see a resurgence of Brookwood dominance in 2003-2004 for this state, with Walton graduating so many seniors.
A couple things I'm wondering:
First, while I agree that Milton was an above-average team this year, I wouldn't put them on par with Brookwood or Parkview. We've played Milton a few times this year, and never had too much trouble. They're good, but I'd question putting them as one of the top four or so teams in the state.

Secondly...what sort of dominance are you seeing from Brookwood in '03-'04? I expect they'll be in usual form (as in, one of the very top teams in the state and the Southeast), but I don't know if they'll be The Undisputed Dominant Team in Georgia. If that's not what you meant, sorry, I guess I misunderstood.

Also, I think when mentioning good Ga teams, one that always seems to get left out is Henry County, and I'm not sure why. They always play tough and (I'm fairly sure) have outperformed some of the aforementioned teams at various tournaments.

BTW, I probably should already know, but what school are you from?
alch2
Lulu

Post by alch2 »

i think he;s from parkview.
gosaints
Lulu

to CaddoJeff

Post by gosaints »

Has your team played in any tournaments outside of LA this year? If so, how did you fare?

Winning it all in Myrtle Beach will be quite a task, especially if you don't have alot of NAQT match experience against really strong teams.

I think Cookeville will be the team to beat if they are at full strength.
CaddoJeff
Kimahri

outside of LA

Post by CaddoJeff »

Yeah, we certainly have competed outside of LA this year, as we do every year. We competed at almost every TX tournament, but almost never at full strength, we went to Yale as well as two arkansas tournaments. We also got invites to go to the Georgia tournaments but we had other committments. Everyone we've played at full strength though hasn't had a chance.
NRLYAGODD
Lulu

Post by NRLYAGODD »

I respect a little trash talk before tournaments and it should be interesting to see how teams that are good and teams that think they're good face off. Which is why I'm calling it now. We will win at least one game =P Actually, we're one of those teams happy to go so we'll play for fun. But yeah, I'll keep an eye on ya'll from LA.
alch2
Lulu

Post by alch2 »

trash talk? we're gonna score at least -2500 points. ha! beat that.
buzzermaster
Lulu

Post by buzzermaster »

No matter what outsiders think, Arkansas is a strong quiz bowl state. Several teams that I have played this year have the potential to do well in the national tournaments. Here's my unofficial list of the Arkansas teams nobody wants to see sitting at the other table:

1. Cutter Morning Star. I don't want to appear as if I'm unfairly ranking my team, but our 58-3 record speaks for itself. However, there are several other teams that I dread playing and have the capability to beat us on any given occasion.

2. Benton. One of the most well-rounded teams I have ever seen. All four guys make substantial contributions to the team. They are a challenge to play even when one or two of them aren't at the top of their gameand are capable of blowing a game wide open when given even the smallest advantage. Deafeated us in the finals at Northside.

3. Morrilton. They have improved tremendously as the season progressed and played us to the last question on two occasions. People really started to take notice of them after they surprised AGQBA winning overall state. Basically a two-man team, but they have hordes of reserves who can all contribute when it really matters. However, they haven't beaten us this year in five attempts.

4. Conway. The streak of bad luck in 5A State continues. It's such a shame for a good team like Conway. Strong showings in early invitationals merit a mention in this list.

5. Little Rock Catholic. Our nemesis. Period. Strong team that always manages to come out of nowhere to make an impressive showing in overall state.

6. Fort Smith Northside. The best team ever (I repeat, best team ever) from '01 no longer exists, but this version of the Big Mean Larry Jones machine is still formidable. The dynasty hit a speed bump this year, but expect a quick and emphatic rebound for '04. I have never seen a team improve as much as they did over the course of a single season. Next year looks scary for any team that dares to challenge them.

7. Little Rock Central. Don't even try to answer a math toss-up on these guys. You might as well search for life on Pluto. I expect them to become a powerhouse of legendary proportions in a couple of years because of their dominant performance at the junior high tournament we hosted.

8. Centerpoint. They can always beat Little Rock Christian--except when it really counts. This team is fairly well-balanced and graduates only one starter this year and should be a strong contender for AA state.

9. Vilonia. They would have easily won 4A if Morrilton hadn't have been there. Besides having an insane amount of knowledge, Vilonia always has the uncanny ability to pick the right lightning rounds, which is murder in close games.

10. Little Rock Christian. Most hardcore Arkansas quizbowlers recognize their coach Dan Erlandson with his milk crates full of reference material as a presence to be reckoned with at AA state and invitationals. They merit a mention for their fiendishly good performance at 5AA South regionals.

Teams that keep you entertained during a blowout:

Mayflower
Jessieville
Morrilton B
Hazen

Teams on the downward slide:

1. Bald Knob. I have to give props to coach Bill Davis, but once Allyn's gone, this team has some major rebuilding to do. They scored only ten points in the CMS Invitational and got trounced by Camden Fairview. Enough said. Still, this school has a very strong tradition and I have faith that they can field excellent teams in the near future.

2. Fort Smith Southside. A decent year, but anything looks bad after you lose Daniel Tu.

3. Huntsville. The 3A powerhouse got the raw end of the deal by getting bumped up to 4A. Don't worry, guys, it happens to the best of us.
gosaints
Lulu

Cutter

Post by gosaints »

Wow, 58-3 is an impressive record regardless of where/who you play. Who did the three losses come against? Also, what teams have you played from Texas? Have you encountered St. John's or Bellaire this year?

If you remember the last WOHSQB poll, do you have wins over any of those teams? How has your team fared against ranked teams in NAQT matches this year?

Just curious, as it is interesting to size up the competition heading into nationals. If you have faced some of the big name teams this year then you have a right to be boastful heading into NAQT.
gosaints
Lulu

oops

Post by gosaints »

Sorry if my last post was a little confusing. I was getting Caddo and Cutter mixed up a bit.

Caddo has the boastful guy (about NAQT); Cutter has the 58-3 record.

I'm still interested in Cutter's season, as 58-3 is very impressive.

I'm also interested in Caddo's season. What "big name" teams have you played this year, and how did you fare against them? How many NAQT tournaments did you play in this year? Which tournaments were they?

I think you'll find that some teams will really shine in the NAQT tournaments while other teams will struggle, even if they seemed to be of equivalent strength in non-NAQT formats.

just curious
NRLYAGODD
Lulu

Post by NRLYAGODD »

I think our record this year is 99 - 30, which in there we lost to St. Andrews. So which player are you, gosaints? I would be the lone guy not to get a question right during our match at UT-C. (I play for Bob Jones)
irmogopher
Lulu

Post by irmogopher »

Our record is 101-33...which is not bad since our team is entirely comprised of sophomores and freshmen, except for a former team member who is a senior and played at two tournaments at the very beginning of the year...but thank goodness he left 'cause he was annoying
alch2
Lulu

Post by alch2 »

well, we went 74-20. not great, but ok for a rebuilding year. when our full a-team was together, we went 49-8. 3 of those losses were to walton(twice) and dorman. the other 5 were against alabama teams: JCIB, Bob Jones, Arab, Indian Springs, and St. Paul's JV(lol). The losses to JCIB and Bob Jones at ASCA state tourney hurt the most, however.
AC
gosaints
Lulu

Post by gosaints »

I am the coach of our team. You guys did well at UTC.

Is that the tournament where my two male players were wearing makeup?

We have quite a strange group, but I love them anyway.