2012 NAQT Missouri Qualifier (March 3, 2012 at Mizzou)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ScoBo
Rikku

2012 NAQT Missouri Qualifier (March 3, 2012 at Mizzou)

Post by ScoBo »

The Missouri Quizbowl Alliance would like to invite you to the fifth annual NAQT Missouri Qualifier, to be held on the campus of the University of Missouri in Columbia on March 3, 2012.

The Missouri Quizbowl Alliance is an organization dedicated to providing high-quality quizbowl tournaments to all Missouri teams. Visit http://www.moqba.org for more information. As MOQBA's flagship event, this tournament regularly features a diverse field of teams from throughout Missouri, creating a championship atmosphere and recognizing the state's top teams for national tournament qualification. Matt Chadbourne and Jeffrey Hill will serve as tournament directors of this official NAQT event, which will use untimed NAQT rules. The top fifteen percent of the field will automatically qualify for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament (HSNCT), to be held in Atlanta, Georgia on May 25-27, 2012, and the PACE National Scholastics Championship, which will be held at Washington University in St. Louis on June 9-10, 2012. In addition, the champion of this tournament is guaranteed a spot in the 2012 HSNCT, and the top team that had not qualified at a previously-held tournament will also receive a bid to HSNCT. MOQBA warmly welcomes all teams to attend this tournament even if they do not plan to attend a national championship, as we intend to provide all teams with a true representation of Missouri quizbowl.

Format:
This tournament will be run in the twenty tossup/bonus format on NAQT IS-115. Games consist of twenty tossups worth ten points each followed by non-rebounding bonuses worth up to thirty points. Tossups will feature "powers" (additional points awarded for correct buzzes very early in the question) and "negs" (five point deductions for incorrect answers before the question is finished).

The field is currently limited to the first 30 teams to register, though we will make every effort to include all interested teams. There will not be a separate junior varsity division, but schools are welcome to register multiple teams.

The tournament will feature a bracketed round robin and playoff, the exact specifications of which will be determined by the final field size. The field will not be divided into small and large school divisions, but the top-finishing small-school team (as well as the top four teams overall) will receive trophies, and an all-tournament team will be recognized.

Pricing:
  • Base fee for first team: $55
  • Base fee for second and subsequent teams: $50
  • Scorekeeper discount: $10 discount for each competent scorekeeper your school brings. Scorekeepers will be provided a lunch.
  • Moderator discount: $30 discount per experienced moderator that a team brings to the tournament. We specifically request you let us know about this well in advance of the tournament, and will reserve the right to choose our moderators. If we end up with enough staff, we may not offer this discount. Moderators will be provided a lunch.
  • Buzzer discount: $5 discount for each working buzzer system your school brings
  • Travel discount: $10 discount for every 100 miles your school traveled to the tournament (one-way, as determined by Google Maps)
  • Early registration discount: $5 discount if your registration is received before February 3, 2012
  • The minimum entry fee is $25 per team. (For teams taking advantage of the moderator discount, the minimum fee is $0)
Formalities:
Please email me, Jeffrey Hill ([email protected]), to sign up for the tournament, and include the number of teams, buzzers, moderators, and scorekeepers you will be bringing. Registration on the morning of the tournament will begin at 8:00. Since the format we will be using may be unfamiliar to some teams, we will have a short team meeting at 8:40 to review the rules. The first round of tournament play will begin at 9:00.

After the completion of the tournament, each team in attendance will receive a copy of the questions used.

Updated tournament information, including a list of registered teams, can be found on the Missouri Academic Competition Message Board (http://www.moquizbowl.com) and will be updated regularly. Our tournaments traditionally fill extremely quickly, therefore it is highly advisable to reserve your spot early, and you are more than welcome to reserve your spot in the tournament before the payment process has been completed.

We hope to see you and your team in Columbia in March and wish you the best of luck as you compete this season. As always, if you have any questions about the tournament, don’t hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Hill
2012 NAQT Missouri Qualifier Co-Director and Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president
Last edited by ScoBo on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!
ScoBo
Rikku

Re: 2012 NAQT Missouri Qualifier (March 3, 2012 at Mizzou)

Post by ScoBo »

This tournament has filled in less than 36 hours! At this point we intend to expand the field to 36 teams, but will not officially do so until we are confident we can secure enough staff.

EDIT: Field was officially expanded to 36 teams on 1/31.

Field (32/32) (last updated 3/2 @ 9:45, will be updated more frequently at moquizbowl)
Schools denoted with * are small school eligible
Centralia*
Clayton (2)
Columbia Independent (2)
De Smet (2)
Elsberry*
Helias (3)
Hickman (2)
Ladue (3)
Lutheran (St. Charles)
Mehlville
New Haven*
North Kansas City (2)
Oak Grove*
Oakville
Pilot Grove*
Raytown South
Rock Bridge (3)
Savannah (2)
Waynesville (2)
Last edited by ScoBo on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

The field is now at 32 teams (* indicates small school eligible):

Centralia*
Clayton (2)
Columbia Independent (2)
De Smet (2)
Elsberry*
Helias (3)
Hickman (2)
Ladue (3)
Lutheran (St. Charles)
Mehlville
New Haven*
North Kansas City (2)
Oak Grove*
Oakville
Pilot Grove*
Raytown South
Rock Bridge (3)
Savannah (2)
Waynesville (2)

Registration will begin at 7:45 AM. In order to ensure that the tournament ends at a reasonable time, we ask that all teams arrive by 8:30 AM, with the team meeting beginning shortly thereafter. Unless extreme unforeseen circumstances prevent it, we plan to enforce a round 1 start time no later than 9:00; if you have not arrived by 9:00, the moderator will start reading questions to the other team. If you are running late the morning of the tournament, please give me a call to let me know you are on your way (my phone number was included in the last two emails I sent to coaches).

Tournament Format

With 32 teams, teams will be divided into four pools of eight for the preliminary rounds, and will play a full round robin within their respective pools (7 games). We will play all 7 preliminary rounds before lunch.

At this point, teams will be ranked by record and points per game. The top two teams in each pool based on record and points will remain eligible for the championship; these teams will be divided into two equal pools of four. The four teams finishing third in their respective pools will advance to Consolation 3, the four teams finishing fourth will advance to Consolation 4, and so on; this ultimately results in 8 pools of 4 for the playoffs, each consisting of teams that have not yet played each other. Each pool will play a round robin (3 games). We expect to finish round 10 no later than 4:00, at which time we will present individual awards and announce the superplayoff teams and the status of the small school final.

Following round 10, based on record and points per game in the playoff rounds only, the top two teams in each pool will advance to a crossover superplayoff, in which the playoff game between the two teams from Championship 1 and the playoff game between the two teams from Championship 2 will carry over, and the other games disregarded. Following Round 12, based on superplayoff record and points (3 games), tiebreaker games and finals will be played as follows:
- If teams finish 3-0, 2-1, 1-2, 0-3: #1 and #2 play an advantaged final in which #2 has to win two games but #1 only has to win one. #3 is awarded third, #4 is awarded fourth.
- If teams finish 3-0, 1-2, 1-2, 1-2: #1 is declared the champion. #3 and #4 play a full game; losing team is fourth. Winner plays #2 in full game to determine second and third.
- If teams finish 2-1, 2-1, 2-1, 0-3: #4 is awarded fourth. #2 and #3 play a full game; losing team is third. Winner plays #1 in full game to determine first and second.
- If teams finish 2-1, 2-1, 1-2, 1-2: #1 and #2 play a one game final to determine first and second. #3 and #4 play a one game tiebreaker to determine third and fourth.

The five schools marked with an asterisk above are eligible for the small school title. Following round 10, the small school champion will be determined as follows:
- If exactly one small school advances to the superplayoffs: that school is automatically declared the small school champion.
- If multiple small schools advance to the superplayoffs: the highest ranked small school after superplayoffs and finals is the small school champion.
- If no small schools advance to the superplayoffs: If the top small school places four or more places ahead of the second-highest ranked small school, the top small school will automatically be awarded the small school title. If the top two small schools are in the same playoff bracket and are tied, the two schools will play a one game final. Otherwise, an advantaged final will be played in which the lower-ranked school has to win two games but the top-ranked school has to win only one.

Two important points of clarification:
- All ties to determine advancement to playoff brackets and the superplayoffs will be broken by points per game. Tiebreaker games will only be played as described above to determine first through fourth place following round 12.
- Ties at the end of a game will be broken by reading tossups until the score changes, by either a correct answer or a neg. (This differs from the tiebreaker procedure listed in the rules link I sent earlier.)

We eagerly anticipate seeing all of you in Columbia tomorrow and hope that you will have an enjoyable experience.

Sincerely,
Jeffrey Hill
2012 NAQT Missouri Qualifier co-director
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

Quick results: Ladue A went undefeated to win the tournament after Savannah conceded the advantaged final. Helias A took 3rd and North Kansas City A took 4th. Pilot Grove was the small school champion, finishing 9th overall out of 32 teams.

Prelim stats are here. The rest of the stats should be up sometime tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who attended today; I hope everyone had a great time. A HUGE thanks to all of the amazing people who came from nearly every corner of the state to staff! You all did a fantastic job of keeping everything running smoothly and on schedule and I cannot thank you enough for your help.
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I was really impressed by the play I saw today from all of the teams that attended. It was easily one of the most impressive days of quiz bowl play I've ever seen, and I think it showed that the Qualifier is well on it's way to being a better alternative to the MSHSAA championship series.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

"And here we are as on a darkling plain, Swept by confused alarms of struggle and flight, Where ignorant armies clash by night."
Matthew Arnold, Dover Beach.
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

Thank you once again for attending the 2012 NAQT Missouri Qualifier. It was a pleasure to host 32 teams for a day of great competition. I hope everyone enjoyed the tournament.

Following the superplayoffs, Ladue A had a 3-0 superplayoff record and Savannah was 2-1, so the teams were set to play an advantaged final in which Savannah would have had to won two games and Ladue only one. Savannah elected to forfeit the final to Ladue, so Ladue A was declared the tournament champion, with Savannah A second. Helias A was third and North Kansas City A took fourth.

For the small school championship, Pilot Grove finished 9th overall with a 3-0 record in Consolation 3, while the next small school, Elsberry, tied for 18th. Because these teams were more than four places apart in the final standings, Pilot Grove was awarded the small school title outright.

Full statistics for the tournament are available at http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/7/ (see the Stat Reports section on the right side of the page)

As a result of their strong performances, Ladue A, Savannah A, Helias A, and North Kansas City A each qualified for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament, to be held Memorial Day weekend in Atlanta, as well as the PACE National Scholastics Championship on June 9-10 at Washington University in St. Louis. Because this tournament was platinum certified by PACE, the other championship bracket teams - Rock Bridge A, Oakville, Hickman A, and Ladue B - also qualified for NSC. Since the top 5 teams qualify from a 32 team tournament, at least one of these teams will also qualify for HSNCT, but I am not sure how NAQT will determine that since both of the remaining teams in Championship B went 1-2. Small school champion Pilot Grove also qualified for HSNCT because they finished in the top half of the field. Congratulations to all of these teams! Information about these national tournaments can be found at http://www.naqt.com and http://www.pace-nsc.org, respectively.

Following the tournament, an error was discovered which affected the individual standings as announced at the closing meeting. The #8 scorer, with 56.43 points per game in the preliminary rounds, should have been Myles S. from Oak Grove, who will be offered a book prize as a result. I apologize for this error.

During the awards ceremony, the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance presented the second MOQBA Award for Outstanding Student Involvement to Max Schindler of Ladue Horton Watkins High School for founding, editing, and directing the Ladue Invitational Spring Tournament, Missouri's first high-quality high school housewritten quizbowl tournament. The Missouri Quizbowl Alliance thanks Max for his impressive contributions and looks forward to recognizing more outstanding students in the future.

This tournament would not have been possible without the tremendous assistance of the entire tournament staff, who graciously volunteered their time and did a fantastic job keeping everything running smoothly. Special thanks go to Alex Dzurick and Jacob Billingsley for taking care of several logistical details with respect to the tournament site on the University of Missouri campus, and to my co-director Matt Chadbourne for all that he did to make this tournament happen.

Each member of the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance strives to provide the best possible experience at every tournament we are involved in running, and I hope this tournament met these high expectations. I appreciate any feedback you may have about the tournament so that we can make future MOQBA-hosted tournaments even better.

We are discussing potential dates for next year's NAQT Missouri Qualifier and hope to announce a date in the next few weeks. I encourage you to regularly check our website, http://www.moqba.org, as well as the Missouri Academic Competition Message Board at http://www.moquizbowl.com, for announcements of next season's tournaments.

All the best to each of your teams as you compete the rest of this season.

Sincerely,
Jeffrey Hill
Co-director, 2012 NAQT Missouri Qualifier
President, Missouri Quizbowl Alliance
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

ScoBo wrote:the other championship bracket teams - Rock Bridge A, Oakville, Hickman A, and Ladue B ... Since the top 5 teams qualify from a 32 team tournament, at least one of these teams will also qualify for HSNCT, but I am not sure how NAQT will determine that since both of the remaining teams in Championship B went 1-2.
We ranked these teams by overall record; both Rock Bridge A and Oakville went 8-2, so they tied for fifth place and both have qualified for HSNCT.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
jonpin
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by jonpin »

What is it about the state of Missouri that makes teams not want to play finals? This is, what, the third time this season between high school and college that a team has forfeited an advantage final?
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I think the last one, WUHSAC, had to do with the fact the tournament was running rather late. This time, Savannah wanted to get back home I guess, because they did have a pretty long drive. Both of these instances also frankly have a lot to be chalked up to Ladue being seemingly insurmountable to these teams, I think. I hope that as we continue to run tournaments that are more efficient and get teams to be more used to the very new concept of advantaged finals (especially mixed with teams improving and hopefully becoming more competitive with Ladue eventually), this problem will go away.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White