The Missouri Quizbowl Alliance is an organization dedicated to providing high-quality quizbowl tournaments to all Missouri teams. Visit http://www.moqba.org for more information. As MOQBA's flagship event, this tournament regularly features a diverse field of teams from throughout Missouri, creating a championship atmosphere and recognizing the state's top teams for national tournament qualification. Matt Chadbourne and Jeffrey Hill will serve as tournament directors of this official NAQT event, which will use untimed NAQT rules. The top fifteen percent of the field will automatically qualify for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament (HSNCT), to be held in Atlanta, Georgia on May 25-27, 2012, and the PACE National Scholastics Championship, which will be held at Washington University in St. Louis on June 9-10, 2012. In addition, the champion of this tournament is guaranteed a spot in the 2012 HSNCT, and the top team that had not qualified at a previously-held tournament will also receive a bid to HSNCT. MOQBA warmly welcomes all teams to attend this tournament even if they do not plan to attend a national championship, as we intend to provide all teams with a true representation of Missouri quizbowl.
This tournament will be run in the twenty tossup/bonus format on NAQT IS-115. Games consist of twenty tossups worth ten points each followed by non-rebounding bonuses worth up to thirty points. Tossups will feature "powers" (additional points awarded for correct buzzes very early in the question) and "negs" (five point deductions for incorrect answers before the question is finished).
The field is currently limited to the first 30 teams to register, though we will make every effort to include all interested teams. There will not be a separate junior varsity division, but schools are welcome to register multiple teams.
The tournament will feature a bracketed round robin and playoff, the exact specifications of which will be determined by the final field size. The field will not be divided into small and large school divisions, but the top-finishing small-school team (as well as the top four teams overall) will receive trophies, and an all-tournament team will be recognized.
- Base fee for first team: $55
- Base fee for second and subsequent teams: $50
- Scorekeeper discount: $10 discount for each competent scorekeeper your school brings. Scorekeepers will be provided a lunch.
- Moderator discount: $30 discount per experienced moderator that a team brings to the tournament. We specifically request you let us know about this well in advance of the tournament, and will reserve the right to choose our moderators. If we end up with enough staff, we may not offer this discount. Moderators will be provided a lunch.
- Buzzer discount: $5 discount for each working buzzer system your school brings
- Travel discount: $10 discount for every 100 miles your school traveled to the tournament (one-way, as determined by Google Maps)
- Early registration discount: $5 discount if your registration is received before February 3, 2012
- The minimum entry fee is $25 per team. (For teams taking advantage of the moderator discount, the minimum fee is $0)
Please email me, Jeffrey Hill ([email protected]), to sign up for the tournament, and include the number of teams, buzzers, moderators, and scorekeepers you will be bringing. Registration on the morning of the tournament will begin at 8:00. Since the format we will be using may be unfamiliar to some teams, we will have a short team meeting at 8:40 to review the rules. The first round of tournament play will begin at 9:00.
After the completion of the tournament, each team in attendance will receive a copy of the questions used.
Updated tournament information, including a list of registered teams, can be found on the Missouri Academic Competition Message Board (http://www.moquizbowl.com) and will be updated regularly. Our tournaments traditionally fill extremely quickly, therefore it is highly advisable to reserve your spot early, and you are more than welcome to reserve your spot in the tournament before the payment process has been completed.
We hope to see you and your team in Columbia in March and wish you the best of luck as you compete this season. As always, if you have any questions about the tournament, don’t hesitate to ask.
2012 NAQT Missouri Qualifier Co-Director and Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president
edit: current field moved to second post