A Completely Unscientific Exercise

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
solonqb
Rikku

A Completely Unscientific Exercise

Post by solonqb »

There's been enough chatter about an online high school poll. Now I'm going to do something about it.

Starting this moment, through 12:00 AM Saturday (that is, before NAQT prelims), I'll take emails from registered users of this site listing the top 10 high school teams they've seen. Justifications are appreciated. 1st place team gets 10 points per ballot, second gets 9, et al. Total points at the end will determine the winner. You may rank B teams as well. My only request is that you not participate if you have not seen at least 3 teams from outside your region (whom you would be willing to rank) play this year. This should limit ballots made up entirely of one region. Please also list your real name, hsquizbowl name, and quizbowl affiliation.

Send ballots to selimthegrim at gmail dot com.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

I'm glad this is coming back, and I hope it fares well. Or at least give us something to talk about -- both in terms of arguing about who should(n't) be ranked, and how rankings should be done.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Due to insufficient response, I'm extending this through PACE weekend. If your opinions are based on seeing these teams at a national tournament, please provide justification.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

I'll make one final call for results through this Wednesday to include PACE weekend. I need at least 10 ballots, I have 6 or so, to make this even near valid, so please do oblige if you are just sitting around and have some free time.
Noah Rahman
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Top 15 teams in order, with number of votes received.

Thomas Jefferson A (VA) 70
State College (PA) 50
Dupont Manual (KY) 41
Richard Montgomery A (MD) 35
Solon (OH) 35
Lakeside (WA) 31
Thomas Jefferson B (VA) 28
Mission San Jose (CA) 24
Dorman (SC) 18
Raleigh Charter (NC) 15
Detroit Catholic Central (MI) 13
Brookwood (GA) 13
Walton (GA) 10
Maggie Walker Governors (VA) 10
James Island (SC) 9
Jesuit Brebeuf (IN) 8

Other teams receiving votes:

Heritage (GA) 6
Lincolnshire Stevenson (IL) 6
St. Andrew’s (MS) 6
Dunbar (KY) 5
Wheaton North (IL) 4
Indian Springs (AL) 4
Blake (MD) 3
Rockford Auburn (IL) 3
Lafayette Harrison (IN) 2
Ezell Harding (TN) 2
Princess Anne (VA) 1
Winnetka New Trier (IL) 1
Apollo (KY) 1
Richard Montgomery B (MD) 1

I voted to make it an even 10 ballots. In the interest of transparency, here is my own ballot. Feel free to pick it apart.

TJ
SC
MSJ
Lakeside
Solon
RM
TJ B
DuPont
Gov
DCC
Last edited by solonqb on Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noah Rahman
kws
Lulu

Post by kws »

How were the other 9 first place votes distributed?
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

1 for Brookwood, 1 for DuPont, and the rest for TJ.

EDIT: Sorry, 9 total ballots instead of 10. Can't count.
Noah Rahman
kws
Lulu

Post by kws »

So TJ wasn't on the ballots at all of two that didn't have them 1st? I think we have a Cal-UT situation! :grin:
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Well, I think the condition is that the voter must have seen that team in play. Oh well...
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

E.T. Chuck wrote:Well, I think the condition is that the voter must have seen that team in play. Oh well...
Actually, not quite.
I wrote:My only request is that you not participate if you have not seen at least 3 teams from outside your region (whom you would be willing to rank) play this year.
I didn't necessarily state that you were stuck just ranking those particular three teams, however some people interpreted it that way. Having that kind of exposure gives you the credibility and hopefully the knowledge gleaned from such teams to rank others you've heard about and whose performance you can judge by the metric of seeing how they've done against the out-of-region teams you did get to play. Wow, that was a long sentence.
Noah Rahman
mknupp
Lulu

Another approach

Post by mknupp »

Perhaps another way to rank is by overall program strength over the years and not just this season. That is, what schools have the top programs year in and year out. Here are my top ten programs:

1. Dorman
2. Brookwood
3. Thomas Jefferson
4. James Island
5. Irmo
6. Dunbar
7. Richard Montgomery
8. DCC
9. St. Johns (Texas)
10. Ezell Harding

Again, unscientific, but fun to talk about.
mknupp
Lulu

one left out

Post by mknupp »

Oops...I left out Walton...sorry...They absolutely belong in the list
First Chairman
Auron

Re: Another approach

Post by First Chairman »

mknupp wrote:Perhaps another way to rank is by overall program strength over the years and not just this season. That is, what schools have the top programs year in and year out. Here are my top ten programs:

1. Dorman
2. Brookwood
3. Thomas Jefferson
4. James Island
5. Irmo
6. Dunbar
7. Richard Montgomery
8. DCC
9. St. Johns (Texas)
10. Ezell Harding

Again, unscientific, but fun to talk about.
That to me boils down to coaches and their longevity. I'd still put State College in there, probably at #1 or #2 myself.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

when i voted, I only voted for teams I had seen play. I was under the impression that is what was wanted. NOW (post nationals) I would vote differently for sure.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

What would your ballot look like now?
Noah Rahman
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

!. Thomas Jefferson
2. State College
3. everyone lese