PACE NSC 2005 results

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
First Chairman
Auron

PACE NSC 2005 results

Post by First Chairman »

2005 June 11-12
Valencia Community College, Orlando FL

Benjamin Cooper Academic Ambassador: Sue Korosa, Copley HS (OH)
Benjamin Cooper Young Ambassador: Tom Egan, Maine South HS (IL)

Champion: Thomas Jefferson HS A (Alexandria VA)
Runner-Up: State College Area HS A (PA)
Semifinalist: Mission San Jose HS (Fremont CA)
Semifinalist: Thomas Jefferson HS B

[As both teams entered 3-2, MSJ won a mini-match against Solon to secure the fourth playoff spot.]

TJ A d. TJ B: 570-230
SC A d. MSJ: 380-360

TJ A d. SC A: 530-145

I have the scoresheets, and when I get a chance I can break it down since it is not included in the stats kept on SQBS 4.

Consolation Champion: Centennial HS A (Elliott City MD)
Consolation Runner-Up: Walter Johnson HS (Bethesda MD)
Consolation Semifinalist: Brindlee Mountain HS A (Guntersville AL)
Consolation Semifinalist: State College Area HS B

All four teams finished 3-0 after 3 rounds of matches in the consolation field of 18. Seeding went by points with WJ being first (1205), Centennial A (1135), State College B (935), and Brindlee Mountain A (925).

Round 11
WJ d. BM A: 525-135
Centennial A d. SC B: 335-300

Round 12
Centennial A d. Walter Johnson: 305-265.

The rest of the consolation field played one extra non-binding match, which happened to work out by the fact all matches dealt with teams with identical Sunday-only records. As Central Hardin had to leave, Hardee took advantage of its bye in order to watch the championship playoffs. Here were the matchups for Round 11 for the other consolations but no scores were recorded (should both teams elect to play it).

Brookwood B - Brookwood C (1-2)
Brindlee Mountain B - Brindlee Mountain C (0-3)
Culver Academies - Clover Hill (1-2)
Maggie Walker B - Maggie Walker C (2-1)
Fort Mill - St. John's (2-1)
ASFA - Centennial B (1-2)

Most remarkable about the tournament is that most if not all of the positive records that a team can control were broken multiple times. It will take a bit of time to cover all of the records, but suffice it to say this was a very exciting weekend.

The best thing about records is that we can reminisce about history and context, but I am also intrigued to see how well the younger teams in the field did. If anything, the future of the high school circuit is bright indeed.

Photos that I took are going to be posted at http://etchuck.fotopic.net/c577299.html .
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
First Chairman
Auron

Pictures

Post by First Chairman »

Photos from my camera are now posted. Anyone else with photographs, please let me know of links or if you could, send me your digital photos.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

I want to thank the PACE staff for running an excellent tournament. I thought every moderator we had was excellent. Additionally, the questions were by far the best I've ever heard and well exceeded my expectations.
Also, congratulations to Thomas Jefferson for winning. State College was a very worthy second place team (they pretty much crushed us).
I was somewhat happy with my teams performace while playing without our captain. Unfortunately, I think he would have made the difference for us because we lost to Brookwood and Heritage by 5 points in the prelims. At least Brookwood handled the close game quite admirably by not being argumentative during the protests and by being very good sports, which is much more than I can say of Heritage.
I very much look forward to attending PACE next year. I think it will attract more teams from the Washington area because Durham is driving distance.
Last edited by bigtrain on Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Even though I didn't get to play :sad: , I did get to moderate, and I received a really nice award.

This was more like an event than just a tournament. There was a little something for everyone's taste, I really liked the format, and I learned quite a bit from being exposed to this kind of quiz bowl play. I was really happy to get to see faces and match them to some of the people I've talked to/agreed with/argued with on the Board over the past year or so. The level of competition was pretty darn good, and it gave me the appearance of also being very fun. Sure there was hard core 100% legitimate play going on, but the PACE people bent over backwards to make this event enriching, competitive, and fun, fun, fun.

I wanted to publicly thank everyone at the tournament who stopped by and congratulated me. A number of coaches, players, and parents (most of whom were not mine) stopped me between rounds, and even at the hotel to shake my hand. That meant a lot to this stranger from Illinois.
jewtemplar
Wakka

Post by jewtemplar »

I'll echo everybody's praise of the PACE staff. Though I wasn't there for prelims, I found it perhaps the most smoothly run national tournament I've ever participated in. The questions (though perhaps a little bit easier than last year) were top notch, and made for some great games. I'm glad PACE NSC 2005 was my last ("legitimate") national, and I look forward to seeing some of the field back in Orlando in a few days.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Most of what I would say has already been said above, so I'll keep it original. PACE's unique defining feature has been its small size, friendliness and collegiality (the All-Scholars game in particular), and this year's tournament was no exception. More than any other high school tournament, PACE takes the term "quizbowl community" out of abstraction and provides an excellent segue for high schoolers into the college circuit. Props to T-Chuck, Chris Borglum, Greenstein, Weiner and Co. for once again doing an excellent job, and of course, TJ for their well-merited PACE win at last. Their college careers will be extremely interesting and will be closely watched, to say the least.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
First Chairman
Auron

Semifinals and Championship finals

Post by First Chairman »

Stats from the Semifinals and Championship Finals

I SEMIFINAL Thomas Jefferson A vs. Thomas Jefferson B

TJA 570
Will 0+4
Dan 1+5
Jacob 1+5
Sam 1+2
TOSSUPS 3+16 = 220 (19/28)
BONUS EARNED = 120/160 (8) + 75/90 (6) + 120/150 (5) = 315/400
BONUS STOLEN = 5/20 (1) + 0/0 + 30/30 (2) = 35/50

TJB 230
Neel 0+1
Alexandra 0+2
Charlotte 0+2
Scott 1+1
TOSSUPS 1+6 = 80 (7/28)
BONUS EARNED = 20/40 (2) + 30/30 (2) + 60/90 (3) = 110/160
BONUS STOLEN = 30/40 (2) + 0/15 + 10/30 (1) = 40/85

-----
II SEMIFINAL State College A vs. Mission San Jose

State College 380

"Charles" 0+1
"Lydia" 1+2
"Fitzgerald" 2+4
"Kitty" 0+2
TOSSUPS 3+9 = 150 (12/28)
BONUS EARNED = 50/60 (3) + 15/45 (3) + 130/180 (6) = 195/285
BONUS STOLEN = 0/50 (5) + 15/45 (3) + 20/20 (2) = 35/115

Mission San Jose 360
Roger 0+4
Kevin 0+10
Nicole 0+1
Da 0+0
TOSSUPS = 0+15 = 150 (15/28)
BONUS EARNED = 90/140 (7) + 30/75 (5) + 70/90 (3) = 190/305
BONUS STOLEN = 0/10 (1) + 0/30 (2) + 20/50 (4) = 20/90
-----

CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL Thomas Jefferson A vs. State College A

Thomas Jefferson A 530
Will 0+5
Dan 2+4
Jacob 1+3
Sam 0+4
TOSSUPS 3+16 = 220 (19/28)
BONUS EARNED = 110/160 (8) + 30/75 (5) + 140/180 (6) = 280/415
BONUS STOLEN = 0/0 + 0/0 + 30/50 = 30/50

State College A 145
"Kitty" 0+0
"Fitzgerald" 1+2
"Lydia" 0+0
"Charles" 1+0
TOSSUPS = 2+2 = 60 (4/28)
BONUS EARNED = 20/20 (1) + 15/15 (1) + 10/60 (2) = 45/95
BONUS STOLEN = 40/50 (5) + 0/45 (3) + 0/40 (3) = 40/135
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

Okay, I have finally gotten around to posting the NSC stats in my webspace. They are now available at:
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~paking/nsc2005/

Please, please note that these are NOT official. There probably are still a few gremlins in them. For instance, right now the Saturday prelims and Sunday playoffs do not have delineations between bonus and bouncebacks right now.

The semifinals/finals SQBS output was compiled based on the stats that Dr. Chuck just posted.

These will probably all make their way over to the PACE website in the near future.

Patrick King
Last edited by pakman044 on Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Also remember that the average bonus is worth 21.1 points (10 20 points, 8 15 points, and 10 30 points available in each game) so those BC stats need a correction factor to be compared to other events.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Sorry that I didn't correct this for State College A: Fitzwilliam is John Lesieutre. Charles was John Onusic. I misread the first scoresheet which wrote down the aliases.

Grumbles at the SQBS beta 4 which does handle bouncebacks... manually.

Please let me know of any other bugs/gremlins in the statistics as you all vette them. I'll try to get the bonus numbers incorporated somehow.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

Fixed the two nicknames on the State College A semifinals/finals stats that were mentioned.

I'll probably download SQBS 4.0b and move the semfinals/finals stats over to that this evening so I can do "proper" bouncebacks with them.

Patrick King
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

For what it's worth:

Justin "Kecker" for Brindlee Mountain A is actually Justin "Decker"

Also, "Bradley" for Brindlee Mountain C is supposed to be "Riley."

Not that I'm going to care too much, but they get all types of upset about these things...
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
NRScout98
Lulu

Post by NRScout98 »

Neel Kotra from TJ B was somehow left out of all Saturday and Sunday morning statistics, if it matters.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

NRScout98 wrote:Neel Kotra from TJ B was somehow left out of all Saturday and Sunday morning statistics, if it matters.
I'll see what I can do, assuming I have all of your scoresheets. Of course, if you have the game rosters for each round, it may help me a bit (or as much as SQBS will let me do it).
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Now that I have almost recovered from the trips to Chicago and Orlando, I feel like posting my comments on the PACE tournament.

First, I'd like to say that after the excellent tournament that NAQT held in Chicago, I didn't think that PACE would be able to compete. I was VERY wrong. The PACE tournament was just as great. The folks running the show were wonderful, and they definately knew what they were doing. We will be back for years to come!

The moderators were, for the most part, also great. Our only problem was in Round One... the gentleman with the VERY VERY thick French accent was very off-putting. Nothing against him as a person, he was a nice guy, but the kids (at least on my team) couldn't understand him at all. This may be a weak argument, as the other team seemed to understand him perfectly - they went up 380-10 immediately - but my rural Alabama freshmen just couldn't understand the guy... Luckily for us, that was the only time he read for us, and all the other moderators were great.

The question quality was outstanding. Having gone over PACE questions from years' past, I was a little worried about the difficulty level. However, it seems that this year's set was perfect. There were no questions that I thought were too hard for this level of competition. It is SO refreshing to hear "real" questions about real topics, as opposed to the stuff we generally hear in our highly dumbed-down Alabama tournaments. Seeing my kids' knowledge of - for example - African Literature finally pay off when we stole points on a bonus that included "Athol Fugard" was refreshing.

The strength of the field was incredible. We were in the "Vader" pool with TJ A, Mission San Jose, and Dorman... I was actually kind of glad that my all-freshman team got the opportunity to play TJ A. I wanted them to see the absolute best and see how far off they are.

As for TJ A, they were an awesome high school team. After all I have heard about them, and after the mythical scores at the NAQT tournament, I was wondering how good a high school team could be... And I found out. However great they were, though, no team could live up to the legendary status that they have attained. I was able to write down most of the answers at least a few words before TJ buzzed in; though, there were a few incredible exceptions - they answered a tossup on Georgia (the nation) before I even knew that they were talking about a country).

So basically, after all the anticipation of seeing this great team, they were, in the end - GASP - a group of high school kids. Albeit, a group of high school kids who have become so immersed in the high school quiz bowl canon that they are virtually unbeatable by any other high school team. I would go so far as to say that they are probably the best HIGH SCHOOL team ever. But, they wouldn't stand up to most of the middle-to-upper tier college teams that I have seen.

* Please keep in mind that I am basing this analysis on the only round I have EVER seen TJ A play*

Anyway, back to the main topic. The kids and I enjoyed the tournament immensely. It was great to meet some more of the folks who populate our little hsquizbowl.org microcosm face-to-face. It was also great to play more of the teams that I have read so much about. It - like NAQT last weekend - was a learning experience for me as a coach and to the kids as players. I have a much better idea of where we stand and where we need to be in the years to come.

Thanks again to all who made PACE possible. I offered to help the organization out in any way that I can, and I hope that Dr. Chuck and Matt know that I meant it.

Looking forward to Durham in 2006!

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
sabine01
Tidus

Gloriously Wrong NSC Answers: 2005

Post by sabine01 »

(Mods, feel free to schwup this to wherever is most appropriate, I'm not here as often as I should...)

Now that we have the more important PACE 2005 Results, a bit of the lighter side of NSC... Funny wrong answers from this year's tournament...

Listed from incorrect answer to correct answer (Player or School where available)
--
Trail of Tears for Tamiami Trail (Stephen, St. Johns)
Sigmund Freud or Alfred Adler for Hemann Hesse (various people: including players from St. Johns, ASFA and Brindlee Mountain)
Illuminati for Saudi Arabia*
Yellow Rose of Texas for When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd (Adam, Walter Johnson)
Rickshaws for Bullet Trains (5 rooms *after* the clue "they go 120 mph" was read)
Cider House Rules for McTeague: a Story of San Franscisco
Hollywood Squares for A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
Fall of the House of Usher for Man without a Country
Benedict Arnold for Pontiac
Desparate Housewives for Like Water for Chocolate (All-Star Game)
--
Additions:

Cadillac for Pontiac (chief, not a car)

If you know of any others... speak now or forever hold your peace... (but this is what I have reported so far)

Congratulations again to all who participated over the weekend!

Tricia Southard
Officially: Ben Cooper Awards Chair
Unofficially: Mistress of the Wrong Answers

* Due to the circumstances behind this answer (answering with illuminati for everything unknown, this is now qualified with an asterisk...)

Last edited by sabine01 on Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tricia Southard Greenstein, MLS
Furman '01 | GWU Staff | Maryland '10

I don't care whose fault this was, just get it sorted! And could someone please bring me something deep fat fried and smothered in chocolate?! ~ Fairy Godmother, "Shrek 2"
winklerd
Lulu

Post by winklerd »

Man without a Country for Fall of the House of Usher
Wasn't it the other way around? Or maybe it was someone else, but I think someone from TJA answered "Fall of the House of Usher" for a question, then in a later round where it actually was an answer, either missed it or negged on it.[/quote]
sabine01
Tidus

Aye...

Post by sabine01 »

winklerd wrote:
Man without a Country for Fall of the House of Usher
Wasn't it the other way around? Or maybe it was someone else, but I think someone from TJA answered "Fall of the House of Usher" for a question, then in a later round where it actually was an answer, either missed it or negged on it.
[/quote]

Easily edited, but can anyone confirm which was which?

~T~
Tricia Southard Greenstein, MLS
Furman '01 | GWU Staff | Maryland '10

I don't care whose fault this was, just get it sorted! And could someone please bring me something deep fat fried and smothered in chocolate?! ~ Fairy Godmother, "Shrek 2"
NRScout98
Lulu

Post by NRScout98 »

It was Alex from TJ B. I believe she negged with Fall of the House of Usher for Man Without a Country and then later with House of the Seven Gables for Fall of the House of Usher.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Lee Henry wrote:

"the gentleman with the VERY VERY thick French accent was very off-putting. Nothing against him as a person, he was a nice guy, but the kids (at least on my team) couldn't understand him at all. This may be a weak argument, as the other team seemed to understand him perfectly - they went up 380-10 immediately - but my rural Alabama freshmen just couldn't understand the guy... "

That would be Boris Nguyen, a co-coach of the Valencia team with me. And you're right: he's as nice a guy as you'll meet, but indeed he can be a bit hard to understand, especially if it's your first time hearing him, or more so if you come from someplace where you don't hear such accents very often (and I'm guessing Brindlee Mountain fits the bill). Boris wouldn't have been reading had two of my more experienced moderators hadn't bailed at the last second; I also lost another one after Saturday's rounds. But so it goes for TDs.

But one good thing about having Boris read is getting fun pronunciations. My favorite involves his reading of "peripheral" as exactly homophonic with the lead singer of Jane's Addiction/Porno for Pyros (i.e. Perry Farrell).
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

I'll echo the general sentiment -- it was a fun tournament, and both the PACE folks and the hosts did a goob job. Other than some delays on Saturday morning, everything ran pretty smoothly.

In addition to the points mentioned by others, I was pleased by the general politeness of all participating teams and coaches. I didn't see any displays of poor manners by either players or coaches throughout the tournament (not to say that there weren't any ... but I didn't see or hear of any such displays). Even in close matches, such as the two last-question wins I read for, both teams were polite in either victory or defeat.

The top teams, especially TJ A, were as good as advertised. After I read for a TJ vs. Solon match with 930 total points, smashing the old record, I was amused a few minutes ago to see that TJ vs Mission San Jose broke the record two rounds later. (The high scores seemed to be more a result of strong teams than easy questions.) I read for most of the top teams at some point in the tournament, and I was consistently amazed at the things that teams were able to answer (the Gaspee stands out in my mind -- Darwin from MSJ got that one). Even the wrong answers were impressive ... unless I heard wrong, I think someone (from TJ B?) guessed Cyprian Ekwensi on a bonus part about African writers, which, while incorrect, is a guess I never would have expected to hear. It was also great to read for strong and well-rounded individual players like Noah Rahman, everyone from TJ A, and Kevin Koai (did he actually score 230 in round 3?).

Both Man Without a Country and Fall of the House of Usher were answers in the tournament, so I don't know which one produced the neg. Doesn't seem like a terrible neg anyway. And the Illuminati neg probably came from that guy (Kyle?) from Brindlee Mountain B who was answering Illuminati to anything he didn't know, so that doesn't really count. And I think the Pontiac one is backwards, such that Pontiac was the right answer. (Which reminds me -- someone in my room negged with "Cadillac" on that one, which probably qualifies.)

The moderator Lee mentioned with the French accent was probably Boris -- he usually serves as a scorekeeper, and I think he switched to scorekeeping soon thereafter. And Lee, it's quite possible that TJ A was hanging back a bit on the tossups, based on what I saw of them in several playoff rounds. They did put up 745 in that round against BM while missing one of their players, so they may not have wanted to risk unnecessary negs.

Anyway, thanks again to Chris Borglum, to the Valencia people in general, and to the PACE folks for a good tournament.

--Raj Dhuwalia

P.S. It's nice to be able to associate a couple of names with faces, at least retroactively ... only now do I realize that "Tegan" is Tom Egan.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Notbhan said: And Lee, it's quite possible that TJ A was hanging back a bit on the tossups, based on what I saw of them in several playoff rounds. They did put up 745 in that round against BM while missing one of their players, so they may not have wanted to risk unnecessary negs.
Yeah, I certainly didn't mean to say that they weren't good... That would just be stupid. However, its comparable to seeing the Sears Tower for the first time last week... It was impressive, but I just expected it to be TALLER...

After all I have heard about TJ, I would've been dissapointed with anything less than the following:

"Tossup 1: This author... {BUZZ} TJ: Chrsitopher Okigbo. Correct."

I guess my point was that it seemed that they buzzed where they "should" buzz in most cases... I haven't got my team ANYWHERE near that point yet.

Granted, they DID kill my poor BMHS team... We considered it a Pyrrhic victory that we answered 3 tossups against them and actually stole 20 points from them on a bonus. I was proud that we did that well against the team that is far and away the best in the country.

I guess, though, after all I've heard and read, I was expecting a team that would consist of God, Buddha, Allah, and Shiva. No one could possibly be as good as we've "heard" that they are. That's the downside of being legendary, I guess. However, I DID say that they are the best high school team ever.

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
quizbowlmike
Lulu

Post by quizbowlmike »

As a scorekeeper both days, I'm glad to hear the praise of the staff. Hats should really go off to Chris Borglum and the recruiting job he did in putting together a good deal of the staffers. From what I remember there were moderators there from UF (5), FSU (1), USF (3), IRCC (3), Valencia, and probably other Florida schools that I just dont remember. Not only did he get all of those people (some traveling over 100 miles) to attend and help out, he even offered up his house as a place for them to stay. As far as I'm concerned, that's going above and beyond the call of duty.

The first day, Nap (USF) and myself (UF) moderated for the DCC, Gonzaga, RM A, Ft. Mill, Brookwood B, Clover, and Brindlee Mt C bracket. All of the teams we had were exceptionally polite and fun to moderate for (and go to lunch with, the guys at Clover know what I'm talking about). I dont think I've ever had that much fun at a tournament either playing or moderating. The sportsmanship was wonderful on the part of everyone there. The questions were astounding in both quality and difficulty. Having gone to last year's tournament in Maryland, I'd have to say that this year's version was definately an upgrade, and I was very happy with how things worked out in Maryland.

As far as TJ A goes, I only was fortunate enough to see them play twice and those were the semifinal and final match. I thought they were the best high school team I've ever seen. No, they werent "god like" as some others may have been hoping for, but they were a very good, very well rounded team that I think would do quite well in a college tournament. Best of luck to all of their players and every other senior out there next year in college... I sure hope I dont have to play against any of them.

--Doug
My views in no way represent those of the UF College Bowl team. (by request)
zwtipp
Rikku

Post by zwtipp »

quizbowlmike wrote: As far as TJ A goes, I only was fortunate enough to see them play twice and those were the semifinal and final match. I thought they were the best high school team I've ever seen. No, they werent "god like" as some others may have been hoping for, but they were a very good, very well rounded team that I think would do quite well in a college tournament. Best of luck to all of their players and every other senior out there next year in college... I sure hope I dont have to play against any of them.
I believe TJ played in a college tournament last year and did quite well, finishing second to Maryland I think.
I do not care much for large yellow Avians.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

zwtipp wrote:believe TJ played in a college tournament last year and did quite well, finishing second to Maryland I think.
Yes, Jacob Oppenheimer had mentioned his experiences at that tournament to me once. He recalled with affection his appreciation for Chris Frankel's contribution of "pissing" to the college quiz bowl canon. :lol:
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

bigtrain wrote:...He recalled with affection his appreciation for Chris Frankel's contribution of "pissing" to the college quiz bowl canon. :lol:
Second only to Michigan's, no doubt.
Michigan in their ACF Nationals 2004 packet wrote:1. Produced by Headphone Records and directed by Chuck Berry, we find out that the artist was “rollin’ around, sittin’ on dubs,â€
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Dr. Chuck, could you post the Nooooo! tossup from the All-Scholars Game? That one should go down in QB legend.
Noah Rahman
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

solonqb wrote:Dr. Chuck, could you post the Nooooo! tossup from the All-Scholars Game? That one should go down in QB legend.
I'm on it.
In the original Star Wars, it is the last thing Leia says before Alderaan is destroyed, and Luke says it to interrupt Han’s speculations on getting together with Leia. In Revenge of the Sith, the death of Zett Jukassa inspires Bail Organa to scream this, and Palpatine says it several times before informing Mace Windu that the latter will die. In Episode I, it is Obi-Wan’s reaction to the impaling of Qui-Gon. It is also Luke’s response to the death of Obi-Wan and being told to “search his feelingsâ€
Chris Frankel
Wakka

Post by Chris Frankel »

solonqb wrote:
bigtrain wrote:...He recalled with affection his appreciation for Chris Frankel's contribution of "pissing" to the college quiz bowl canon. :lol:
Second only to Michigan's, no doubt.
Michigan in their ACF Nationals 2004 packet wrote:1. Produced by Headphone Records and directed by Chuck Berry, we find out that the artist was “rollin’ around, sittin’ on dubs,â€
"They sometimes get fooled by the direction a question is going to take, and that's intentional," said Reid. "The players on these teams are so good that 90 percent of the time they could interrupt the question and give the correct answer if the questions didn't take those kinds of turns. That wouldn't be fun to watch, so every now and then as I design these suckers, I say to myself, 'Watch this!' and wait 'til we're on camera. I got a lot of dirty looks this last tournament."
winklerd
Lulu

My turn!

Post by winklerd »

Hey, most of you probably don't know me well as I'm the youngest and newest of the full PACE members (this was my 3rd NSC). I just want to say that the tournament was great. I had a lot of fun moderating, and talking with the teams, and everything else. I'm glad to hear how much everyone enjoyed themselves. We put a lot of our time into this, and while we do it willingly, it's nice to know that our efforts are appreciated. Thanks to all of you for coming out and participating and making it all worth it!

I also want to extend congratulations to all of the teams that came. Even if you went 0-7, the fact that you were there is enough to warrant recognition. Besides, I'm sure it won't be something you soon forget, especially if you faced any of the powerhouse teams. Heck, my high school team knew nothing of the whole national quizbowl community, and to realize that the competition is much stiffer than your small local tournaments can be a huge wake-up call. Anyway, we hope to see all of you next June after a year of hard work and practice!

Finally, all of you graduating seniors should become question writers and/or PACE members! We could certainly use your talents, and then I wouldn't be the fresh meat anymore. :wink:
samer
Lulu

Re: Gloriously Wrong NSC Answers: 2005

Post by samer »

sabine01 wrote: (Mods, feel free to schwup this to wherever is most appropriate, I'm not here as often as I should...)

Now that we have the more important PACE 2005 Results, a bit of the lighter side of NSC... Funny wrong answers from this year's tournament...

Listed from incorrect answer to correct answer (Player or School where available)
--
Yellow Rose of Texas for When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd (Adam, Walter Johnson)
Could someone post this question? I'd *really* like to know how this happened. . . . Although nothing quite rises up to the level of "Inclined Plane" for "nickelodeon". :cool:
samer dot ismail -at- gmail dot com / Samer Ismail, PACE co-founder, NAQT editor
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

The neg was completely unjustifiable, I think he may have even buzzed in after Leaves of Grass was given. The question wasn't misleading in any way.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
mf_2
Lulu

Re: Gloriously Wrong NSC Answers: 2005

Post by mf_2 »

sabine01 wrote:Listed from incorrect answer to correct answer (Player or School where available)

Illuminati for Saudi Arabia

that was one of our ( BMHS Team B ) players. It was Kyle Clark, he said Illuminati on at least ten tossups ( although the answer was never illuminati... )
Maximilian Franck, former player of Brindlee Mountain High School (2004-05) quizbowl
First Chairman
Auron

URL forwarding...

Post by First Chairman »

Just a couple of things...

I'm letting the URL forwarding lapse for about a week until around July 1 so that I can get that on the proper budget (calendar year thing for budgeting). So if you wind up not getting to the PACE website easily, go to

http://www.duke.edu/~etchuck/pace/ until further notice.

Still updating...
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---