Guarantee for the Future

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
Dvorak
Kimahri

Guarantee for the Future

Post by Dvorak »

I'm kind of worried about the future of my team. There are a few players who are showing promise, but no one who's absolutely blowing my mind. This is compounded by the fact that I, and one other player on my team, answer 95% percent of the questions. We're juniors, so we've got a little bit of time, but I want to be able to foster some kind of team identity that will survive beyond either of our tenures. So, the question I'm getting at is, what can I do now to make sure that this team doesn't suck in the future? I don't want people to feel like they're being forced to study, because that might scare them away. But I also need them to understand that they need to improve themselves.
Adam Greene
Harry S Truman High School '19-'13
MSU '13-'1?
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Re: Guarantee for the Future

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Go to tournaments, hold serious practices, maybe even try to host a tournament. Basically, show your passion for the team, and make your teammates realize this is more than just an activity you do for fun/college. It won't be overnight, but you should begin to see people make more of an investment in the team.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Re: Guarantee for the Future

Post by Smuttynose Island »

Although you can never really guarantee future success, probably the best thing that you can do is take those kids that show some promise and try to guide them along. When older and or better players take an interest in a younger player that younger player, in my experience, albeit not all from QB, is generally more motivated to improve and is more likely to show a greater interest in competing simply because they are being recognized by someone that they respect and/or admire. Outside of that you really just have to present the younger members of the club with resources and hope that they get hooked, which I know isn't the most proactive solution. I don't think that you currently have much to worry about though as you have one more year and a QB program can be decent even if it is built around one player.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home