MSU's Ninth Annual Rube Goldberg Invitational (1/21/12)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AlphaRasmus
Lulu

MSU's Ninth Annual Rube Goldberg Invitational (1/21/12)

Post by AlphaRasmus »

Michigan State University's Academic Competition Club is proud to announce the ninth annual Rube Goldberg Invitational, scheduled for January 21, 2012.

This tournament will be an untimed NAQT event, and will be using questions from [IS-113]. It will consist of a divisional round robin, followed by a re-bracketed round robin for playoffs, and each team can expect to play approximately 10 games. The field cap has yet to be determined and will be based on the number of staffers we have available. Registration will take place from 8:15 to 8:45, and we plan on starting matches at 9:00.

Tournament Fees:
First team: $70
Additional teams: $60
Buzzer discount: -$10 per functional set
Distance discount: -$10 per 100 miles (one way), by Google Maps
Minimum per team: $30

Please make checks payable to MSU Academic Competition Club, and please pay upon arrival, or in advance. Please email us at [email protected] to register, or if you have any other questions. Thanks!
Mattie Bogner
Dewitt High School 2004-2008
Michigan State University 2008-2012
AlphaRasmus
Lulu

Re: MSU's Ninth Annual Rube Goldberg Invitational (1/21/12)

Post by AlphaRasmus »

Field as of 1/19/12 (48 teams):

Novi (2)
Brighton (4)
Redford Thurston (2)
Holt
Divine Child (2)
Detroit Catholic Central (2)
Royal Oak
Jackson Lumen Christi (2)
Kalamazoo Christian (2)
Detroit Country Day (4)
Carson City
Cabrini
Potterville
Sand Creek (2)
Central
Grosse Pointe North
Ann Arbor Skyline
University Liggett (2)
Farmington Harrison
International Academy East (2)
Utica Academy (2)
Truman
Troy
Lansing Homeschoolers
West Bloomfield
East Lansing
Ionia (2)
Jackson
Mercy
Cranbrook
Kent City
Last edited by AlphaRasmus on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mattie Bogner
AlphaRasmus
Lulu

Post by AlphaRasmus »

Our field is temporarily capped at 24. This will (hopefully) be expanded as we can guarantee more staff, so feel free to still express your interest to us.
Mattie Bogner
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

So far the field has been expanded to 42. We have the rooms for up to 48, and we're working on finding staff to accommodate that many.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
AlphaRasmus
Lulu

Post by AlphaRasmus »

The tournament is in two days. Parking will be available in the Shaw parking lots south of Wells Hall and the International Center.
Mattie Bogner
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

DCC beat DCD in a one game final. Stats will follow in the next few days.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

I'd like to remind people that 6 of DCC's "highest scorers" weren't in attendance (for all you rankings people)
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Detroit Catholic Central '12
Michigan State University '16
Harvard '17
fissionprime
Kimahri

Post by fissionprime »

Based on what I heard, some of the afternoon matches were quite odd. I think I heard that there was a circle of death three-way tie in the Atlas division. In the other top division my team lost the tiebreaker for second to Utica. I heard the tiebreaker was just straight PPG, we beat them handily in our head-to-head as I recall. So it will be very interesting to see the statistics, especially for the playoffs. It was an enjoyable tournament though, and I know everyone on my team had a lot of fun.
Mike Meyering
University Liggett School '12
Windmill Tump
Wakka

Post by Windmill Tump »

Yeah, from what I remember hearing, in one of the upper playoff brackets, DCC B (listed as DCC A, but not actually, since the A team was at Loyola), DCC C (again, listed as DCC B), and "Central" all had two losses; ties were indeed broken within brackets by PPG, which is pretty standard I think.
Sid Dogra
Detroit Country Day School '13
Michigan '17
NYU '21
Dvorak
Kimahri

Post by Dvorak »

This is how the Bracket went.
DCC A (Actually B): 3-2
DCC B (Actually C): 3-2
Central: 3-2
Troy A:2-3
Skyline:2-3
Truman:2-3
At least, that's what I was lead to believe. That's the only way we could've ended up last in our bracket with two wins.
Adam Greene
Harry S Truman High School '19-'13
MSU '13-'1?
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Prelim stats.

I believe these are accurate as far as teams go, but likely have errors regarding individuals and me being unable to read scorekeeper's handwriting. Feel free to let me know if you see any relating to your team. Playoff and combined stats will be up later this week, as soon as I've caught up on the week of homework I put off to plan it.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Regarding the situation in the playoffs: two parallel brackets were set up, each consisting of four bracket winners and two of the top four second place teams, chosen by points per bonus. In the CMS bracket, DCD went 5-0, Utica A, University Liggett A, and Novi B went 3-2, Novi A was 1-4, and Grosse Pointe North A was 0-5. University Liggett beat Utica, Utica beat Novi B, and Novi B beat University Liggett. By points per game in the playoffs, the previously announced tiebreaker, Utica (304) got second, U Liggett (277) third, and Novi B (212) fourth. In the ATLAS bracket, DCC A, Central, and Skyline each went 3-2, while DCC B, Troy A, and Truman A each went 2-3. These ties were broken by points per game, and teams were ranked in that order: DCC A (344), Central (277), Skyline (255), DCC B (254), Troy A (248), and Truman A (200). The original plan was that all teams would play crossover placement games against the team that finished with the same place in the other bracket, but because things were running late some teams chose to leave and let the tie be broken by points per game, so the only games that were played were the finals, fifth place, and seventh place. Full playoff and combined stats will be up later.

Please let me know if you have any concerns - I realize that because of all the ties the outcome was far from ideal, but this followed the pre-announced procedures, and it would have been unfair to change in the middle of the tournament.

EDIT: GPN and Novi A; because of how the placement games played out this doesn't change anything permanent.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Playoff stats for the top bracket are up; I'll have the rest of them up shortly.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

Even though I wasn't at this tournament,I must say kudos to "Central." It'll be nice to have another competitive team in the area other than the usual suspects for Michigan. 20 ppb for a team that is a relative newcomer is great.
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
nvraptor
Kimahri

Post by nvraptor »

TheBulgarSlayer wrote:Even though I wasn't at this tournament,I must say kudos to "Central." It'll be nice to have another competitive team in the area other than the usual suspects for Michigan. 20 ppb for a team that is a relative newcomer is great.
We've been waiting far too long to make an appearance in the Michigan scene, and it certainly was refreshing to get some tournament experience for once. Hopefully we'll be able to play you in the future!

As for Rube, besides some time delays it was done pretty smoothly, and Central will definitely be attending future MSU tournaments.
Patrick Huang
Northville High School '12

Sometimes also known as Central.
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Sorry everyone for the delay, but playoff stats are complete and available here. They're complete except that I'm missing scoresheets for a few games in the ALICE bracket (Kalamazoo Christian A v. West Bloomfield, and Kent City v. West Bloomfield, I think). If you have the scoresheets or even know who won them I'd appreciate letting me know. The prelim stats have been updated to take into account all the problems that I've been informed of.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus