27,000 HSAPQ answer lines

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Matt Weiner
Sin

27,000 HSAPQ answer lines

Post by Matt Weiner »

Here's a document listing the answer to every question published in an HSAPQ set from our start in 2008 until the conclusion of last academic year:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... utput=html

Caveats:

1) We did not use QEMS in the first year, so those answer lines were compiled by hand and pared down to eliminate repeat entries. Answers from fall 2009 to spring 2011 are left as-is (that is, with repeats) so you can get a sense of how often things come up.
2) There are several different categorization schemes used for our different projects, and things are generally left as what they originally were, so there will be multiple places that a given category might be found. For the same reason, some questions do not have subcategory tags.
3) There's some stuff in here that is too difficult to come up in regular high school quizbowl tournaments, either because it is a hard bonus part from a NASAT set or an outlier from our first year that is now coded as a "level 99" (do not ask about this again) question.
4) Math calculation questions have been removed under the assumption that knowing "24 trucks" or "-3.25" was once the answer to a question will not help anyone.
5) This is not a "study guide" per se, neither HSAPQ nor any other supplier of questions is under any obligation to conform to any item or trend in this list when writing future sets, do not invest heavily in "Ode: Intimations of Immortality" being the next big high school tossup answer, et cetera.

With that said, we thought some teams might get use out of such a document, and it's nothing that isn't already derivable from our publicly posted sets. So, a belated Merry Christmas to the high school community and do with this what you will.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Coldblueberry
Lulu

Re: 27,000 HSAPQ answer lines

Post by Coldblueberry »

Yay thanks. This is really helpful.

I have a question about classifications.

Ex. Is Margaret Atwood American, British, or World?
Justin
Torrey Pines '12
Princeton '16
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

Coldblueberry wrote:Yay thanks. This is really helpful.

Canadian
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Coldblueberry wrote:Yay thanks. This is really helpful.

In the current classification scheme for HSAPQ tournament sets, Canadian literature is part of the American distribution. Other tournaments may put it in the other two categories.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

I noticed that the link to this is not working.

Is it possible to get it fixed?
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
#1 Mercury Adept
Wakka

Post by #1 Mercury Adept »

This might have something to do with the Google Docs/Drive thing -- I have it in my "list of documents shared with me" (by virtue of having opened it while logged in?), and I can still get to it from there.
M(ir)ia(m) Nussbaum
Former player for Ithaca High School, Cornell, MIT
niravilango
Lulu

Post by niravilango »

Yeah, I'd definitely like to look at this, but the link isn't working. Help?
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Matt Weiner
ashwin99
Lulu

Post by ashwin99 »

If anyone finds this useful, I used a script to make a frequency list of all the answer lines (not counting the lines with frequency 1):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jkL ... Z_KW0Q/pub

In the future, separating the list into separate lists based on subjects might help people who want to focus on a particular subject.
Ashwin Ramaswami
Communications Director, ACF (2018-2019)
Stanford University (2017-2021), Chattahoochee High School (2013-2017)

Try this free mobile app Tycho: Play Quizbowl and Science Bowl to study or read packets while on the go.
GoomyLover704
Kimahri

Post by GoomyLover704 »

Does anyone still have the original list from the spreadsheet? I can't seem to find an unaltered version anywhere and it seems very useful.

[User was reminded to add a signature. --Mods]
tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

GoomyLover704 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:25 pm Does anyone still have the original list from the spreadsheet? I can't seem to find an unaltered version anywhere and it seems very useful.

[User was reminded to add a signature. --Mods]
I'd wager that the list is far less helpful than you may think. The question are from pre-2011 quiz bowl, which are very different from current questions, both in quality and content asked. I'd recommend going through the archives and reading through questions from about 2014 onward, as those will be more useful in terms of understanding what hard questions will play like and how they establish clue structure.
Aleija Rodriguez
University of Michigan 202x
MCMC/MCCC 2019
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

The updated link above from 2014 still works.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)