TrashMasters at UT-Chattanooga 12/3/11

Old college threads.
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

TrashMasters at UT-Chattanooga 12/3/11

Post by Your Genial Quizmaster »

Ladies & gentlemen,

With the gracious help of Tulane's Krewe of Quizbowl, UTC will indeed be abale to host the 19th annual TrashMasters in Chattanooga on Sat., Dec. 3. We are joining forces with Tulane’s undergrads-only Bayou-a-Drank trash tournament on Nov. 13. Any teams that are already planning to attend Bayou-a-Drank, please stick with those plans if possible; we gladly defer to them.

Full announcement will go out after I’ve confirmed a few other details, but I wanted to post this much ASAP because we could definitely use some more packets. Packet submission is not required, but anyone who can get me a complete set of 25/25 at [email protected] by Nov. 10, roughly meeting the old specs below, can play at TrashMasters for $30. We will also accept viable half packets and freelance contributions.

If you know you can provide a packet in time for Tulane, please let me know for planning purposes. Also, please let me know if you’re interested in a Sunday AM chaser event, either as a participant or as a contributor. Again, I can be reached at [email protected].

As a blast from the past, here are packet specs from 2007 or so. I’ve asked Tulane for their distribution; if there are significant changes, I’ll pass them along ASAP.

Thanks – hope you can join us on 12/3/11!

PACKETS: First, some format preferences: If at all possible, please send me packets in MS Word or RTF. Please place the required parts of each answer in bold, please put answers on a separate line from the question, and please precede them with the word "Answer:". If you want to save me some more time, make the font 11 pt Times New Roman and the margins 1/2" all around.
To allow for bonus laming and to simplify editing of the inevitable numerous duplicates, each packet submitted needs to contain at least 25 tossup and 25 bonuses. Visual, tactile, and even gustatory bonuses will be accepted if possible; due to equipment issues, audio questions won't. We will consider physical challenge questions, provided they do not conflict with giving every team a fair shot regardless of individual members' physical limitations.
General distribution guidelines (in each case, we need that many tossups and that many bonuses):
3 - 4 Movies
3 - 4 TV
3 - 4 Sports
3 - 4 Music
[Note: for the four categories listed above, please make sure you have at least one pre-1990 and at least one post-2000 of each.]
1-3 each:
Consumerama, including food/beverages
Trashy "literature"
0-2 each:
Videogames & computer games
Other games
Trashy current events
Other computer stuff
Comics
Gadgets
Theatre / radio / other media
Road trip effluvium
Anything else you think of is fine as long as there are no more than two questions per as-yet-unnamed category.

Please, folks mix it up. Don't make all your sports questions about the NFL, all your TV questions about reality shows, etc.
-- Charlie Steinhice
Coach, UTC Academic Trivia Association
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
utcquizbowl [at] gmail [dot] com

"Come, come! Why, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
-- Gen. John Sedgwick, 1864 (technically not his very last words, but close enough)
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: TrashMasters at UT-Chattanooga 12/3/11

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

If this was paired with a quizbowl tournament, WKU would be there. Seeing as it seems like it isn't, we're going to attempt to go to a mirror of TIT that weekend (if there's one close enough to drive to) and probably can't make it to this. However, if for some reason we can't find an academic tournament to go to on Dec. 3rd, then our team or at least me as a free agent would come down to play this.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

We're probably coming now, there are no academic tournaments we could go to this weekend. What's the fee schedule?
Nicholas C
KQBA member
lasercats
Tidus

Post by lasercats »

Any updates on fees?
Maggie Larkin
Booker T. Washington '07
University of Oklahoma '11
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Post by Your Genial Quizmaster »

Sorry for the late response, but TrashMasters is still on for Sat., Dec. 3, 2011 at UT-Chattanooga. Here are some further details:

Fees are $90 for teams with no packet, $30 for teams that submitted a packet in time for Bayou-a-Drank, and $60 for teams that send me a packet at [email protected] by Monday 11/28/11. $5 buzzer discount, up to 2 per team; $10 discount for bringing an official.

Registration will begin at 9:30 in Grote 129; tournament play should begin at 10 AM.

So far, with several of the usual suspects still outstanding, the following teams are confirmed:

Bush/Franklin et al.
Barnes et al.
Staley et al.
Rollins et al.
UTC

Please send any updates to both [email protected] and [email protected]. Thanks.
-- Charlie Steinhice
Coach, UTC Academic Trivia Association
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
utcquizbowl [at] gmail [dot] com

"Come, come! Why, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
-- Gen. John Sedgwick, 1864 (technically not his very last words, but close enough)
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Brian has informed me that we need to conserve our money for academic tournaments in the spring, so we won't have a team at this. I presume Moon Pie/RC Cola will happen at the end of the year again? Any idea on a date?
Nicholas C
KQBA member