Panasonic

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
DavidH
Lulu

Panasonic

Post by DavidH »

Missouri's starting team has been selected... Myself (David Hoffelmeyer) and Tom Crowley from Savannah are on it, as well as Micheal Richards of Liberty (Kansas City area), and Jimmi Li of Parkway Central (St. Louis). Anyway last year MO got 2nd so I'm hoping we can do well.
mrblinux
Lulu

Post by mrblinux »

I think I know all of you.. from either ACE camp or Jeopardy in Jimmy's case. I'm on Team Maryland again this year.
No longer affiliated with Blake It's Ac team :D
Follower of Mr. BrindleeM
Lulu

Post by Follower of Mr. BrindleeM »

For the Alabama team, I believe that Indian Springs is going to represent us. They won the ASCA State tournament yesterday so they were selcted instead of the all-state team. If they do decide to send the all-state team, Evan from Springs is on that, along with Daniel from Cullmam and Steven from Grissom. Those are the only people I can remember from the all-state team.
Ignorance doesn't kill you, but it makes you sweat a lot.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Illinois will have Michael Bilow (Deerfield), Cliff Chang (Winnetka New Trier), Tyler Kerr (Rockford Auburn), Jordan Silver (Lincolnshire Stevenson), John Smillie (Morton), and Donald Taylor (Decatur MacArthur). http://www.ihssbca.org/TeamIllinoisList.htm
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Ohio won't determine its Panasonic team until April 30, the date of the OAC-format state championship. The chance of the OAC steering commitee consenting to an all-star team are slightly less than a snowball's in hell.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
jewtemplar
Wakka

Post by jewtemplar »

This year's Team Virginia consists of:
Sam Lederer
Dan Wright
Will Sullivan
Jacob Oppenheim
Alexandra Levy
Ajay Suresh

All from TJ with the exception of Ajay, from Princess Anne.
I'm excited about the competition and all, but what's really got me going is trying to guess the campy theme of the competition.
I mean, who can top "The Show of Shows" or "Peregrinate Perfervidly through Pacademia"?
Panasonic shirts have to be second in wearing frequency only to KMO shirts...l
mrblinux
Lulu

Post by mrblinux »

We need to have some way of meeting up and having a little hsqb gathering down in Florida. This year, I'm going in that pool.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

If the right planning goes into it, I'd do it.
ok_quizbowl
Lulu

Oklahoma

Post by ok_quizbowl »

Oklahoma's team consists of Matt Pargeter (senior--Holland Hall), Sarah Swinney (senior--Putnam City West), Shannon Rodenberg (junior--Drummond), P.J. Badger (senior--Wilburton), and Martin Ye (freshman--Jenks). A sixth team member may be named later.
DavidH
Lulu

Post by DavidH »

Mr. Blinux... are you the Quizmasta? (lolol)
mrblinux
Lulu

Post by mrblinux »

Indeed.....

I can't believe I'm known as that now just because I wore the shirt from Quizmaster Challenge.

It's MRB linux - linux is an operating system and MRB are my initials.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Wow... I thought it was Mr. B Linux too... glad you cleared that up.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
mrblinux
Lulu

Post by mrblinux »

Nope, haha. Sometimes people who know me from this forum call me that as a joke though. Michael Braun is my name, not Mr. Blinux.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

I knew who you really were -- thanks to jeopardy and I'm pretty sure I met you at NAQT Nationals in Myrtle Beach (you woulda been a freshman I think?). I just thought your name meant Mr. B Linux instead of MRBLinux.
Bob Kilner

No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

Hmmm... You were at Myrtle Beach? If this is the same GHHS that I'm thinking of, then I was on the TJ B team that played you in the first match (and so was TJ B Boy, JamesKnoxPolk, Pistachio, NRScout, and yangsta). Weird.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

How does one go about getting chosen to particpate in the Panasonic Tournament? I live in Minnesota and I had never heard of this tournament until recently from looking at these message boards.
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

Most states, at their statewide tournament, choose the all-state team to compete, that is, the team with the people who had the most points. Although Alabama chose the team that won state. Go figure.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Yeah, we were in Myrtle Beach. I'm one of the coaches now... as I was also in 2003 in MB. I used to be the captain, but we used to frequent ASCN in Chicago and went to NAC when I was a mistake and had the fun of playing on :chip: questions. You probably slapped us around, I don't remember exactly.... but we're much better now than we were then.
Bob Kilner

No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

Yeah, I think we played you guys in the first round of the prelims that year; we went from a team happy to make the playoffs that year to a deadly-dangerous team the next year. A few years can make a huge difference.

But yeah, to the Minnesota kid. I'm pretty sure it's more complicated than the winner or the All-State team from the state tournament. Often the state's governing HSQB body will do something to select the team, but I think that you have to submit some kind of bid for your team to make it. In Virginia, I'm pretty sure that it used to be a single high school representing every year, but the past three years we've had a coalition of a few teams choose the team and found success (Sam, Alex, or Dr. Barnes can explain this much better than I can). Every state does it differently, but it's not just the team that wins states, or whatever.
Last edited by No Sollositing On Premise on Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
kws
Lulu

Post by kws »

The letters of invitation to each state school officer to send representative teams are mailed each year from Florida's Commissioner of Education and the COO of Panasonic, so unless there is already a method in place, the State Dept. of Education usually just accepts bids from the individual schools.
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

The Missouri team sounds good. I am bias but I would say that it will do quite well. I played with all of the named players at ACE and they are all very good. David is a beast on social studies, Tom owns science, Jimmy is awesome at literature and everything else, and Micheal is really good too.
VTBen
Kimahri

Post by VTBen »

Hello fellow Panasonic competitors! I am the captain of the team representing Vermont at the PAC this summer. Unlike most states we aren't an all-star team, we are all from one school and coming because we won our state championship back in April. There are 7 of us; 4 seniors and 3 juniors, 5 boys and 2 girls. We're not expecting anything since we're all inexperienced, but it still should be fun. Good luck to all!

Ben
ok_quizbowl
Lulu

OK, Take 2

Post by ok_quizbowl »

Oklahoma's 6th team member is Matt Baumer from Holland Hall.

ESB
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Team Illinois would like to scrimmage with other teams at Panasonic. If interested, send a message to [email protected].

Thanks!
Kimahri

Post by 1073741824 »

we tried to get a Mississippi team together...unfortunately the lady in charge of it could only get of her team members and me...so no team for us. :sad:
Manyo2
Lulu

Post by Manyo2 »

Kentucky will be represented by this year's state Quick Recall Champions Pikeville.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

I don't even know if Georgia has a team this year. We didn't have one last year. Some individual school may have picked it up this year.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Well, Rick, apparently you guys in Georgia have one this year. They're on the schedule, and Martha Muir (Woodward) has been getting the e-mails we've been getting. I do feel bad for y'all, though--the first-round draw groups Georgia with Alabama, Illinois, and Virginia. I know I wouldn't want any part of that grouping!

Incidentally, I think they should be posting the first-round draws on their website tomorrow, so let the discussion on that begin.
ok_quizbowl
Lulu

Panasonic Draws

Post by ok_quizbowl »

Apparently Oklahoma gets Kentucky, Florida, Texas, and North Carolina.

Ow.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Yeah, that won't be pretty. Neither will the room with Maryland and DC together in the first round.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

No one from Raleigh Charter is on the North Carolina team, if that means anything to anyone.

Eric
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

Doesn't North Carolina just send NCSSM every year?

I could be mistaken.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

That's what's always happened, regardless of what the rest of the state might think. A few coaches have talked about an all-star team the past couple of years, but NCSSM appears to be able to want to go enough to raise the money. Perhaps we'll get enough interest to try an all-star group next year.

I've never been to Panasonic myself, but I personally balk at the cost every year. If I had players who were really gassed about going, I might feel differently.

Eric
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

For what it is worth, Carol has put my name in as the contact for North Carolina for next year. Obviously the coaches in NC should probably all meet to discuss what we want to do. But the expense to go is going to be the overriding factor.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

At least in South Carolina, here's what we did to raise funds. We ran a tournament where essentially 100% of the profits went to fund the Panasonic team (and coincidentally, that tournament was the NAQT South Carolina Chapionship). After that, the cost was much more reasonable to send a team--it ended up being that the schools who had members of the team only had to contribute about $150 per person, a far more reasonable sum than they had done in the past. The schools were more than willing to do that--one had always done that in years past, and another one's academic booster club was happy to pick up the cost.

If you wanted to cover the cost in full without anyone chipping in, it may take two tournaments. But that's what we'll look to do next year as well as getting together a coaches' association that will help to defray the cost too.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

DB: How many teams did you need to make it worthwhile, and how many teams did you wind up getting?

Again, I have to talk this out with the rest of the NC coaches to figure out how exactly to do this. NCATA does have its own state championship, but it would be nice to see how to keep the costs low on it while supporting teams to go to Panasonic and other nationals.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

We had 24 teams for our state tournament. Now, all that said, we are only bringing a four-person team to Panasonic this year, unlike years past, so that helped keep our costs down. But still, with 24 teams and minimal expenses, we made easily four figures of profit off that event this year.
kws
Lulu

Post by kws »

Is SC's team still selected by a two-day tryout? Who is (are) the current coach(es) of the team?
Stained Diviner
Auron

Results are supposed to be posted at http://www.polk-fl.net/actest/PACCompschedule.htm

If you know anything I don't, I would love to hear it.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Quick results:

Missouri, Maryland, Virginia, Florida, Wisconsin, Colorado, Pennsylvania, and California all won their first-round games. Texas is not in attendance at this year's tournament. The other 24 teams will be competing tomorrow, and 6 more teams will advance to Tuesday's semifinals.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Their results are now updated through today (Monday).
http://www.polk-fl.net/actest/PACCompschedule.htm
Stained Diviner
Auron

Teams in the Final:
Maryland, Virginia, Illinois, Wisconsin, Florida, and Colorado
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

For those of you who weren't aware, team Maryland is playing without their captain, Michael Braun.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

bigtrain wrote:For those of you who weren't aware, team Maryland is playing without their captain, Michael Braun.
If possible, could you elaborate why?
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

:eyebrow:
Last edited by bigtrain on Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
tj b boy
Lulu

Post by tj b boy »

From a quick phone call from my dad I've garnered the following information: Virginia won, Maryland came in second, and Illinois came in third. I don't know who took the other places in the final round. Also, the margin of victory for Virginia was ten points. Apparently both Virginia and Maryland gave up the lead to the other via neg at least once during the fifteen point round.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Full Final Results:

1. Virginia (TJ & Ajay from Princess Anne) 225
2. Maryland (All-Stars) 215
3. Illinois (All-Stars) 206
4. Florida (All-Stars) 198
5. Colorado (Grand Junction) 122
6. Wisconsin (Rufus King) 93
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Congratulations to Virginia, and all teams in the final. Heck, all teams there, it was an accomplishment just making it!
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Mazeltov... This is the first three-peat in Panasonic history, and means that Virginia, Maryland, or DC has captured 11 of 17 tournament titles, including 8 of the last 10.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Wedge
Lulu

Post by Wedge »

Wow, congratulations Wisconsin. My old team made it back to the finals for the first time since the mid-90s, and their captain (Eva) will be back next year as a senior.