Bainbridge HS (GA) Quizcat

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Blau Space
Lulu

Bainbridge HS (GA) Quizcat

Post by Blau Space »

(Posting this on behalf of our coach)

This tournament site is (relatively) convenient for teams in South Alabama, Florida, and South Georgia.

Academic Team Coaches and Sponsors,

I am pleased to announce the upcoming Quizcat Invitational Academic Tournament! The tournament will be held on December 3, 2011 at Bainbridge High School in Bainbridge, GA. We will be mirroring the Norcross BDAT (Blue Devil Academic Tournament) for this competition.

Below you will find some information about the Quizcat Invitational Varsity Tournament and a current field. Trophies will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place teams, and individual awards will be presented to the top individual scorers. If you'd like to reserve a spot but you are unsure of whether you can attend, let me know, and I will hold a spot for you for as long as I can.

It’s simple to register. Just send me an email stating how many teams, working buzzer systems, and moderators you will be bringing. I will respond to your email with your cost, and you’re registered. I’ll try to send out a field update periodically from here on out.

CHECK-IN:
Please be at Bainbridge High School between 8am and 8:30am on December 3rd. Enter into the Main Lobby (the main entrance facing HWY 84) to drop off your buzzers and receive your team packet. You will then wait in the Cafeteria for a rules meeting and for Round 1 to begin. We plan on beginning rounds at 8:50am. In case you are going to be late, please let me know.

DIRECTIONS TO BHS:
Bainbridge High School is at 1 Bearcat Blvd, Bainbridge GA, 39819.
It is located along HWY 84 about 2 or 3 miles east of the bypass/Bainbridge College.

PARKING:
Once you turn onto campus, pass the guard house, and take an immediate right to the front of the school. Park anywhere around the flagpole.

GAME FORMAT:
4 players can play at a time.
You may substitute players between rounds only.
We are playing 20 tossups with 3-part bonuses worth up to 30 points each.
We will be using bounce-backs on the bonuses at this tournament.
There will be powers and negs as well.
Players will have 3 seconds to begin their answer once they have buzzed in.
The readers will be instructed to recognize the player once he or she has buzzed.
Teams will be given 5 seconds per bonus part to confer and deliver their answer.
The captain or the captain's designee must give the answers on the bonuses.
We will be tracking individual and team statistics for every team in the tournament.
These will (hopefully) be posted between rounds.

TOURNAMENT FORMAT:
Will be decided based on the number of teams that register, but we will likely use rebracketing or double-elimination playoffs.

FIELD:
Please let me know ASAP if I have made a mistake anywhere on this list, particularly on your number of teams and payment status. Remember there is a $5 discount per team if you bring a functional buzzer system, a $5 discount for bringing a moderator, and a $5 discount for every 100 miles traveled (according to Googlemaps).

FEES & PAYMENT:
First team = $65
Second team = $55
Third team = $45
Fourth team = $35
Buzzer discount = $5/working system
Moderator discount = $5 (limit one per team - not one per school)
Distance discount = $5/100 miles

(For example, if you bring 3 teams, 3 buzzer systems, 2 moderators, and travel 230 miles, your cost will be $65+$55+$45-$15(for buzzers)-$10(for moderators)-$10(for mileage)=$130)

Checks need to be received as soon as possible. I will take them up until the day of the competition, but I have to adhere to the policy of “no pay; no play.” If you have any questions about check amounts, please let me know.

Please, mail checks to the following address:
BHS Quiz Bowl
1 Bearcat Blvd
Bainbridge, GA

LODGING:
I’m not sure if anyone will be staying overnight, but if you plan to, let me know, and I can assist with hotel reservations if need be.

We are looking forward to hosting a great competition. Please, let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
Mitch Alday
Bainbridge HS Quiz Bowl
malday at dcboe dot com
Visit us on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/bhsquizcats
Anne Reynolds
Bainbridge High School '12
Emory University '16
Blau Space
Lulu

Re: Bainbridge HS (GA) Quizcat

Post by Blau Space »

Current Field:

Bainbridge A
Bainbridge B
Miller County A
Ware County A
Baconton Charter A
Baconton Charter B
Marianna (FL) A
Marianna (FL) B

Interested teams:
Collegiate (FL)
Bayside (AL, I think?)
Leon (FL)
Last edited by Blau Space on Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anne Reynolds
Emory University '16
Blau Space
Lulu

Re: Bainbridge HS (GA) Quizcat

Post by Blau Space »

Small field update.
Anne Reynolds
Emory University '16
Blau Space