Fall Novice mirror @ Northwestern (10/1/2011)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Dan-Don
Yuna

Fall Novice mirror @ Northwestern (10/1/2011)

Post by Dan-Don »

Northwestern University will be hosting our second high school novice tournament, Wake-Up Call II, on October 1, 2011. We'll be mirroring the 2011 Fall Novice Tournament. I, Dan Donohue, will be serving as Tournament Director. This tournament will be an excellent opportunity for new, inexperienced, and less-skilled players to get acclimated to pyramidal quizbowl and ACF format on a high-quality question set.

LOGISTICS
Check-in will occur from 8:00-8:30 am in the auditorium (Room 217) of Fisk Hall, which is located at 1845 Sheridan Rd. After check-in, we will walk to nearby Kresge Centennial Hall, which is located at 1880 Campus Drive, and begin gameplay at 9:00 am. Please park in the Lakeside Parking Structure, located at 1 Arts Circle Drive. An interactive campus map can be found here. There will be an hour-long lunchbreak, but lunch is not provided. (Teams will be provided with a map of local restaurants.)

REGISTRATION & FEE STRUCTURE
To register, fill out this this form.

The fee structure is as follows:

$60 per team
$50 for each additional team from the same school (B team, C team, etc.)
-$5 for for each fully functional buzzer system (the maximum discount for buzzers is -$10 per school, or two buzzer systems per school)
-$10 for each competent moderator (the maximum discount for moderators is -$10 per school, or one competent moderator per school)

So the minimum fee for a school would be $40. Other discounts, for example if you are traveling a great distance or you have limited funding, can be negotiated on a case-by-case basis by emailing me ([email protected]).

Please bring checks made out to Northwestern Quiz Bowl for the appropriate amount with you on the 1st.

QUESTION SET
The Fall Novice tournament is a high-quality, novice-difficulty set written and edited annually by several high school and collegiate quizbowl players overseen by collegiate quizbowl players. More information can be found here.

ELIGIBILITY
Because this is intended to be a novice-friendly event, we are required by the producers of the Fall Novice Tournament to enforce some kind of eligibility restriction. These are the eligibility rules we have set for this year's tournament. Please note they have changed from last year.

1. Any player who scored 20.00 or more points per 20 tossups heard in the 10 preliminary rounds at the 2011 NAQT High School National Championship Tournament while playing on a team that qualified for the playoffs is ineligible. If you need to doublecheck the results of the 2011 HSNCT, they can be found here.

2. Any player who scored 20.00 or more points per game in the 5 preliminary rounds at the 2011 PACE National Scholastics Championship while playing on a team that finished in positions 1-35 is ineligible. If you need to double check the results of the 2011 NSC, the preliminary results can be found here, and the final standings can be found here.

3. Any other players, including those who didn't play the 2011 HSNCT or 2011 NSC or those who have never played the HSNCT or NSC, are eligible.

If you have any players who are ineligible by these rules, but who you believe should be eligible to play this tournament, send me an email explaining the situation, and I may grant eligibility to that player.

TOURNAMENT RULES
The tournament will be following all collegiate ACF rules. Some points of emphasis:

1. No more than four players may be playing for a team at a given time. Team rosters may consist of 1-6 players. If you intend to bring 7-12 players, you must enter a B team. If you intend to bring 13-18 players, you must enter a C team, and so on. No exceptions.

2. All tossups are worth 10 points. The first team to interrupt the reading of a tossup with an incorrect answer with be assessed a penalty of negative 5 points (a "neg").

3. All bonuses will consist of 3 parts worth 10 points each. The parts will be read one-at-a-time. The parts will not rebound or bounceback.

4. Matches consist of 20 tossups and any bonuses earned by correctly answering those tossups. If tied after 20 tossups, tossups will be read one-at-a-time (without bonuses) until the score changes.

5. There are no timeouts, and substitutions may only occur at halftime or before the reading of a tiebreaker tossup.

TOURNAMENT FORMAT
We are hoping to guarantee everyone 10 matches. Currently, we are trying to attract 18 teams, which will play 5 preliminary matches in 3 pools of 6 teams and then be rebracketed into 3 playoff pools of 6 teams. A standard ACF final will occur between the top two teams if necessary. Ties in prelim standings will be broken by PPG, and ties for advancement into the final will be played off. By registering, you are agreeing to stay and play all 10 matches. If you do not plan to play all 10 matches, then do not register for this tournament.

MIDDLE SCHOOL DIVISION
There will be a small, separate middle school division. Details can be found here.

REGISTERED FIELD (FULL)
Barrington A, B
Belvidere North A
Carmel A, B, C
DCC A, B
Fenton A
IMSA A, B
Latin A, B
New Trier A
Loyola A, B, C
St. Ignatius A, B
St. Viator A, B
Stevenson A, B
Wauconda A

WAIT LIST (IN ORDER)
St. Ignatius C

If you have any questions, please post here or email me ([email protected]). Do the same if you would like to staff. (Staffers will get a free lunch.)
Last edited by Dan-Don on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:59 am, edited 35 times in total.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Re: 2011 Fall Novice mirror @ Northwestern (10/1/2011)

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

I can almost certainly staff.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Dan-Don wrote:Teams should park
Good to know.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

alexdz wrote:
Dan-Don wrote:Teams should park
Good to know.
yeah i'll put that back in there when i actually know where it will be
MLaudermith
Wakka

Post by MLaudermith »

Put Fenton down for 1 team. We can bring 1 buzzer and I can staff. Thanks, Dan.
Mike Laudermith, Fenton High School
IHSSBCA Member-at-Large

"Where can you belt back a fifth of scotch on the Firth of Forth?"
--geography tossup from the pioneering days of Illinois Scholastic Bowl
David Riley
Auron

Re: Fall Novice mirror @ Northwestern (10/1/2011)

Post by David Riley »

Put Loyola down for one and possibly two teams. We can bring two buzzer systems and I can staff.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Who will be the TD in charge of this? I'll assume it will not be the same one responsible for last year's mess. If my assumption is correct, IMSA will likely bring 2 teams and some staffers.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Dominator wrote:Who will be the TD in charge of this? I'll assume it will not be the same one responsible for last year's mess. If my assumption is correct, IMSA will likely bring 2 teams and some staffers.
After the "mess" that was last year's FNT mirror, I've taken over as Tournament Director for all events run by the Northwestern Quizbowl club and run some very well-received middle school, high school, and collegiate events.

If that means your assumption is correct (and I think it does), I'll add you to the field.

edit: fixed in response in to dees' post
Last edited by Dan-Don on Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Dan-Don wrote:After the "mess" that was last year's FNT mirror, I've taken over as Tournament Director for all Northwestern events
A shame PACE didn't count for that.

keep it relevant. --admin
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
MissIrene
Lulu

Post by MissIrene »

Put Wauconda down for "interested" . . . have to get back to school and check in with our A.D. to see what I can register for!
Irene Ducharme
"Miss Irene"
Wauconda High School
Scholastic Bowl Coach
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Belvidere North has expressed interest, but still needs to settle transportation matters before we know for sure.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Barrington MS Station Campus would be interested in entering two teams, but you need to give me until after Labor Day to firm up anything (for reasons apparent to anyone following my FB...).
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Moving Day wrote:Barrington MS Station Campus would be interested in entering two teams, but you need to give me until after Labor Day to firm up anything (for reasons apparent to anyone following my FB...).
I'll wait to add Station until I make the announcement for the middle school division sometime in late August/early September. Unless of course you want to enter Station in the high school division, which would be fine with me. (Obviously the IESA would have something to say though.)
mr_basque
Lulu

Post by mr_basque »

North will send one team, possibly two, the second will certainly be a "very novice" team though.
John B.
ACE staff member
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Just a heads up: I'll be sending out the official invitation email to coaches this evening or tomorrow morning. There are currently 13 spots left in the field, with 3 teams expressing interest.
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Bumping this. There are currently 11 teams in the field, with 2 more expressing interest. That means there are 5-7 spots left, so register soon if you haven't.
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Some logistical information:

The tournament will occur in Kresge Centennial Hall, which is located at 1880 Campus Drive on our Evanston campus. Check-in will occur from 8:00-8:30 am in Room 2-415, and gameplay will begin 9:00 am. Please park in the Lakeside Parking Structure, located at 1 Arts Circle Drive. An interactive campus map can be found here. There will be an hour-long lunchbreak, but lunch is not provided. (Teams will be provided with a map of local restaurants.)

(The same information can now be found in the original announcement post, and I'll send this info in an email to registered coaches sometime in the coming week.)

There are still 5-7 spots left, so click here to register sooner rather than later.
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Carmel A, B, and C and DCC A and B have joined the field.

A few days ago, I emailed the coches of the two teams that have expressed interest (Wauconda A and Belvidere North B), but I have not heard anything back.

So there are two spots left in the field that anyone can grab by clicking here.
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Latin B and Wauconda A have been added to the field, and so the field is now closed.

If you'd like to be added to the waiting list in the event that a team cancels or we decide to increase the field size, just fill out the registration form as soon as possible, and I'll send you an email letting you know where you are on the list.
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

This afternoon we had a huge influx of teams wishing to be added to the wait list. We are considering increasing the field size to 24, but this will depend on our staffing situation. Please post here or email me if you can staff.
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Loyola C would like to be #24 if you get the staff.
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

mlaird wrote:Loyola C would like to be #24 if you get the staff.
Stevenson put two teams on the waiting list, so you're 8th on the list. I think it's a moot point though as we probably won't have enough staff. I should know by Tuesday if we're going to increase to 24.
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Dan-Don wrote:
mlaird wrote:Loyola C would like to be #24 if you get the staff.
Stevenson put two teams on the waiting list, so you're 8th on the list. I think it's a moot point though as we probably won't have enough staff. I should know by Tuesday if we're going to increase to 24.
Well I'll staff if you can get it up to take all those teams.
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Chicago Christian just dropped, so there's a chance that Loyola C will get in if we expand. I'll put you down as a staffer in that case.
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

We have increased the field to 24 teams, adding Barrington A and B, Loyola C, St. Ignatius B, and Stevenson A and B. This has necessitated some logistical changes, which I have emailed to coaches and which you can also see in the original announcement post.
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Last edited by Dan-Don on Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Four teams over 25ppb? Yikes. Those are some good novices... looking forward to hearing the set in 3 weeks.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Charles Martel
Wakka

Post by Charles Martel »

Dylan Minarik is an excellent novice.
Adam Kalinich
MIT 2012-
Illinois Math and Science Academy 2009-2012
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Playoffs are starting.
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Loyola is currently beating Belvidere North 180-170 at half in the first game of a disadvantaged final.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Gus Honeybun wrote:Loyola is currently beating Belvidere North 180-170 at half in the first game of a disadvantaged final.
Loyola won the first game 380-290 , forcing a 2nd game.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

120-90 Loyola after 5.

230-150 Belvidere after 10.

300-265 Loyola after 15.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Loyola clinches it after 18, 390-260.

Loyola wins 380-290.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Harpie's Feather Duster

whitesoxfan wrote:Dylan Minarik is an excellent novice.
I'll admit I laughed.

Good quizbowl was played by everyone. Congratulations to Loyola A for beating us in two intense games. The tournament, from my experience, was very well run and I had a blast.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

MissIrene
Lulu

Post by MissIrene »

First, let me say I thought the tournament was very well run, mostly on time, and had GREAT Staffers/Moderators.

However, whatever the "rules" I would have like Coaches to take the "Novice" spirit more to heart. I actually brought new Varsity players, or B team players that I wanted to get more experience - which admittedly they did! BUT, to play against certain players that are OBVIOUSLY not "novices" led to some decidedly lopsided matches. I would think twice before attending again. . .
Irene Ducharme
"Miss Irene"
Wauconda High School
Scholastic Bowl Coach
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Yeah, I definitely hope that the definition of "novice" will be revised downward next year. This tournament featured a starter from an HSNCT playoff team, an HSNCT all-star, a Class AA All-State player, and various other players in questionable states of novicedom.

This tournament was very well run; improving the eligibility standards next year will only make it better.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

The eligibility rules will be more restrictive for Wake-Up Call III if we run it.
MissIrene
Lulu

Post by MissIrene »

I guess what bothers me more than the eligibility, is the mentality of the Coaches who would rather amass Ws then help true novices improve. I left all my starters from Nationals at home, and took the kids who may need an opportunity to shine. The good news for us is that those kids rose to the challenge and it built their confidence overall. But a few lopsided matches where the other team is practically smirking at the ease of the questions (for them) can be very discouraging to developing players.

I guess if stricter eligibility is needed to reign in this practice than that is what should be done.

Thanks again though, the Tournament was lots of fun!
Irene Ducharme
"Miss Irene"
Wauconda High School
Scholastic Bowl Coach
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I wonder if this tournament should use separate divisions in the future--one for teams that fit the restrictions used the first two years and another for sophomores and students who did not compete at the high school level last year.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Charles Martel
Wakka

Post by Charles Martel »

Dylan Minarik, Blake Tutt, Morgan Venkus, Paddy Rahlfs, and David Jin, to name a few, should not have been allowed to compete in any division of Fall novice. They all played on A teams last year that did very well at HSNCT, except for Blake Tutt, who was in the top ten players in at least one varsity tournament he attended.
Adam Kalinich
MIT 2012-
Illinois Math and Science Academy 2009-2012
Harpie's Feather Duster

I think that, regardless of what restrictions used next year, the tournament staff should have the ability to declare a player ineligible with sufficient reasoning. There will always be certain exceptions to the rules.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

The practice of blacklisting players was specifically disallowed by the makers of Fall Novice when I ran it two years ago at St. Viator. I don't know if they've changed their policy.
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

I just want to agree with everything Miss Irene has said. While I was not actually at the tournament on Saturday, a quick glance at the statistics is more than sufficient to demonstrate quite a bit of lopsidedness. I say all of this admitting that I played a player I do not consider a novice, but who clearly fit the definition given by the TD (and was not an IMSA A player last year [except for occasions on which we were shorthanded]). I would, though, welcome rules that would have disallowed her from playing, so long as they evened the field across the board.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

MissIrene
Lulu

Post by MissIrene »

In response the the student that suggested the staff could disallow certain players, I would propose that such players KNOW they are not novices, and they might gracefully demur on their own. They might realize that if other players have a chance to get stronger then their whole team will be stronger.
Irene Ducharme
"Miss Irene"
Wauconda High School
Scholastic Bowl Coach
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

While I agree with what has been said above, I think the problem lies within the rules themselves. There is a wide range of abilities at HSNCT, and Mr. Reinstein's suggestion might be more in line.