DATE CHANGE: BARGE at Maryland (1/14/12)

Old college threads.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

DATE CHANGE: BARGE at Maryland (1/14/12)

Post by DumbJaques »

I am pleased to formally announce BARGE (Back to Answers Rewarding General Edification), a new packet submission tournament to be held on Saturday, January 14, 2012 at the University of Maryland. The central goal of this event is to bridge the almost comical gap between regular difficulty and what various “open” events have been over the past couple years. It seems like we're getting into this trap where anything labeled as “open” or even just drawing high level competition has to be oppressively hard for anyone but the best teams in the country (and sometimes, for them too). This is bad for a whole host of reasons, and this tournament will be my attempt to reverse this trend. Consequently:

Difficulty:
This tournament is meant to be accessible to pretty much any college team, while still proving thoroughly worthwhile to even the most skilled players. I'll do this by drawing the majority of topics/answers from very accessible parts of the canon; many of the answers at this tournament will definitely resemble those of a TIT or Penn Bowl, with the major distinctions appearing in the hardest 30% or so of answers, though even most of those will be gettable.

Basically, if the hardest 5-10% of answers at this tournament came up at Penn Bowl, you'd probably be like “that can't be an answer here!” and hold off buzzing. Well, don't do that; there will be some harder stuff, there just won't be tons of it and when it does appear, it will be chosen because it's legitimate and known in the field but just might not come up a whole lot in quizbowl.

Conversely, this tournament will NOT be ignoring huge swathes of material people know things about because it's “too easy,” nor will it be reluctant to reward you for knowing things about those topics just because they could also be answerlines at ACF Fall. Easier answers will have fresh clues, but not at the expense of people knowing those clues. I guess it might not be the best event for a team fresh off three practices and Collegiate Novice, but anyone who you'd send to Penn Bowl or TIT or even EFT (if it existed this year) will be fine at this tournament, though overall difficulty will obviously be tougher.

Who can play:
Anyone. This is an open tournament, and specifically one which I hope will be a draw for more casual non-students as well; whereas a four-year collegiate playing career and a decent knowledge of your field wouldn't even guarantee survival at something like IO last year, it certainly will here.

Who should play:
Anyone. There are a few guidelines for team-assembly (not individual eligibility) for which I will remain ultimate arbiter (at all sites):
-This tournament is meant as a regular season event, not a summer open; I'd like to see actual teams attend. Obviously if your team just isn't going to be in the same city or you want to play with a buddy, that's probably fine, assuming you don't violate. . .
-Please, no superteams. Look, you shouldn't want or need to play this tournament with a superteam; it's not going to be hard enough to warrant it, there aren't going to be other superteams there. . . just don't do it. I know this is kind of a subjective thing and to some degree relative to the competition at a given site, and that's fine – we'll handle things on a case by case basis. To try to illustrate what I mean here, I really hope to see guys like Matt Weiner and Jonathan Magin playing this tournament at the Maryland site. Just not on the same team. That doesn't mean they have to play solo or anything like that, but there's an awful lot of distance between an empty chair and Jonathan Magin and I trust people to grasp this concept.
-I'm entirely cool with open players latching on to existing collegiate teams, assuming we're not talking about students being pushed out (why would you run your team this way???) or if it would violate the superteams rule.

Mirrors:

A couple mirrors have been arranged already, but I am actively seeking sites pretty much everywhere. Please contact me if you're interested in mirroring this event – whether or not your mirror will require packet submission is situation-dependent and something we can negotiate.

Additionally, this tournament is being paired with TERP, the Maryland trash tournament, at our site and is available as a similar package deal for mirrors. TERP is entirely house-written.

Packet Requirements:
As with ACF rules, only teams with a player who has two or more years of experience has to write; everyone else is exempt. The distribution is also similar:

5/5 Literature [1/1 American, 1/1 British, 1/1 European, 1/1 World, 1/1 Your Choice]
5/5 Science [1/1 Biology, 1/1 Chemistry, 1/1 Physics, 1/1 Other, 1/1 Your Choice]
5/5 History [1/1 American, 2/2 European, 1/1 World, 1/1 Your Choice]
3/3 Fine Arts [1/1 Painting, 1/1 Music, 1/1 Other Arts]
3/3 RMP [1/1 Philosophy, appropriately vary 2/2 Religion and Mythology]
1/1 Social Science [two different disciplines]
1/1 Geography and Current Events [one of each]
1/1 Choice [Trash, other academic, etc.]

Cost:
Base fee: $120
Buzzer Discount: -$5
Moderator Discount: -$10 (must be arranged in advance so we know what the staffing situation is)
Packet by November 19: -$50
Packet by November 26: -$25
Packet by December 3: Even money
Packet by December 10: +$25
Packet by December 17: +$50 NO CHRISTMAS FOR YOU WITHOUT A PACKET
After that: +$100, with an additional $10/day penalty and risk of getting booted from the tournament if you haven't worked something out with me.
Formatting penalty: +$10

I want to play, but I'm not sure I/we can write a packet:
We can probably work something out – email me. If you're 1-2 people looking to catch on as Free Agents but are having trouble finding a team/packet collaborators, let me know; we can probably coordinate with FAs at another site/come to a reasonable arrangement. The bottom line is that I'd rather have people playing this tournament than not.

Oh yeah, who's editing this tournament?
Me.

Even science?
Yep. I'm almost certainly going to have someone look it over, though.

Registration/contact info:
If you have any questions about this event, are looking to be matched with teammates/writers, or wish to register for the Maryland site, email me at [email protected].

EDIT:

Running Field:
Johns Hopkins
No Cross, No Eric (Saajid Moyen, James Lasker, Patrick Liao?, Aaron Rosenberg)
UVA
Harvard (Dallas, Ted, Stephen, ?)
My Son Is Also Named Richard Borty (Jerry Vinokurov, Evan Nagler, Andrew Lim, write-in candidate)
VCU
Camazotz's Bat Mitzvah (Jonathan Magin, Arun Chonai, Daniel Hothem, Raynell Cooper)
Darren Abernethy and Friends
Delaware
Pittsburgh
Maryland House 1-2

Free Agents:
Steve Ours
Brian McPeak
Dan Puma
Chris Manners
SteveJon Guth

Staffers:
Katy Peters
Sarah Angelo
Jeff Amoros

PACKETS: Teams in bold have not submitted their packets and are advised to get it into gear or decide which internal organ will be funding my grad school apps.

Northwestern A -$50
VCU -$50
Minnesota B -$25
Harvard +$25
Michigan A +$35
Team Ike +$50
Ohio State +$50
Chicago A +$100
Magin/Hothem/etc. +$100
Minnesota A +$100
Michigan B +$200
UVA +$140
Chicago B +$230
Penn/Aaron Pending
Jerry
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Auroni
Auron

Re: BARGE at Maryland (12/03/11)

Post by Auroni »

Anyone. This is an open tournament, and specifically one which I hope will be a draw for more casual non-students as well; whereas a four-year collegiate playing career and a decent knowledge of your field wouldn't even guarantee survival at something like IO last year, it certainly will here.
While I'm very much fond of the idea of an easy hard tournament, I think you're at cross purposes with the statement above. Even if the questions end up being totally accessible to casual players, there's still the impediment of too-strong team compositions, which will still happen no matter how careful you are with balancing teams out. For the most part, casual players may be motivated by seeing eligible players answer scores of tossups, but may be disheartened if the equivalent of "some guy not in school" does so.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

While I'm very much fond of the idea of an easy hard tournament, I think you're at cross purposes with the statement above. Even if the questions end up being totally accessible to casual players, there's still the impediment of too-strong team compositions, which will still happen no matter how careful you are with balancing teams out. For the most part, casual players may be motivated by seeing eligible players answer scores of tossups, but may be disheartened if the equivalent of "some guy not in school" does so.
I don't really subscribe to this theory anyway, but I think you might have misread my post. The section you're quoting refers to "more casual non-students;" that is, people who aren't in school anymore and played plenty of quizbowl, but aren't in that group of people who regularly show up for all the hard summer opens and whatnot. If there really is a subgroup of those people who demand the right to club baby seals and only baby seals, well, sucks to be them (for a variety of reasons, I suspect).
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Melikes the idea of this...I would think that some school up here in Canada might want to mirror, but I wouldn't actually mind coming down with a team from McMaster if it's feasible for us.
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Would there be any potential issues if this event were moved to the next weekend (December 10)? I'm told that GSAC is poaching half of the Mid-Atlantic teams to staff their tournament, which while assuredly a prudent move would certainly impact our field.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Senator_Jay wrote:Melikes the idea of this...I would think that some school up here in Canada might want to mirror, but I wouldn't actually mind coming down with a team from McMaster if it's feasible for us.
Let me know if there's anything we can do on our end to facilitate that - we'd love to have you.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Minnesota has a huge high school event on the 3rd too. Won't you think of me and my children, Chris Ray?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

DumbJaques wrote:Would there be any potential issues if this event were moved to the next weekend (December 10)? I'm told that GSAC is poaching half of the Mid-Atlantic teams to staff their tournament, which while assuredly a prudent move would certainly impact our field.
VCU is hosting a high school tournament on December 10, to which I've tentatively agreed to drive whichever of my teammates are available (edit: our exams will have started by then, so some of us may have exams on that date) to help staff.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

DumbJaques wrote:
I don't really subscribe to this theory anyway, but I think you might have misread my post. The section you're quoting refers to "more casual non-students;" that is, people who aren't in school anymore and played plenty of quizbowl, but aren't in that group of people who regularly show up for all the hard summer opens and whatnot. If there really is a subgroup of those people who demand the right to club baby seals and only baby seals, well, sucks to be them (for a variety of reasons, I suspect).
I was confused, because the rest of your post gave off the impression that this would be a good tournament for less experienced players in general and the word "casual" has typically only been used in reference to non-hardcore players on clubs. I still think that making this non-open would be better, since besides the nationals, there are no hard team tournaments. This has potential to be Nats prep and you don't want to alienate the casual students for the reasons I mentioned either.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
MathMusic
Lulu

Post by MathMusic »

A Canada area mirror would probably be attended by a team from Buffalo.
Matthew Hill
U Buffalo '14
Secretary, Past Treasurer and Founding Member, U Buffalo Academic Bowl 2010-2014
Captain, Pembroke, NY HS Quiz Team 2008-2010
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I'll definitely show up to this.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I was confused, because the rest of your post gave off the impression that this would be a good tournament for less experienced players in general.
I think the post made it clear what kind of event this would be, and obviously it's distinct from saying like "some good tournaments for less experienced players are ACF Fall or EFT." This tournament is meant to be "good" for everyone, but less experienced teams are going to find lots of stuff plenty hard (just like they do at regular tournaments - that's why I took care to explain WHERE the difficulty expansion was happening). I personally think it's "good" for newer players to be able to play some harder, open events without having to impale themselves on the crazy hard opens we had last year - that way there's more of a natural gradation to who shows up at various events, instead of a brick wall of "accessible, non-open" and "impossible, open" (which, in turn, drives a way more hazardous difficulty divide in college qb in general, but that's another matter). Regardless, I'm pretty sure switching the eligibility requirements will not have much of an impact on how hard casual players find this tournament, which would in either case run on the same question set.
and the word "casual" has typically only been used in reference to non-hardcore players on clubs.
It's almost certainly wrong that the word "casual" has "typically only been used" as some kind of rigid designator implying student status, but whatever. Even if that were somehow true, attributing your failure to parse the phrase "more casual non-students" (which was in fact followed by a reference to people who had played four years of quizbowl and had some kind of field specialization) to something like that is. . . dubious.
I still think that making this non-open would be better, since besides the nationals, there are no hard team tournaments. This has potential to be Nats prep
Call me crazy, but I kind of doubt that this will still seem true after we play MOO and MAGNI (or that it will be practically true over the course of the year's open tournaments; all but one of the really good teams at our MO mirror last year, for example, were just normal teams). I don't see the logic behind this statement anyway though, because a tournament isn't much of a prep for Nationals unless you're playing the level of competition you'd encounter there and for many sites that would be impossible to achieve without making the tournament open. Granted, it's not necessarily ideal prep if you're getting hammered by superteams that won't exist at Nationals, but that clearly won't be an issue with this event.
and you don't want to alienate the casual students for the reasons I mentioned either.
Who is this dude who is cool with getting jacked up by UVA by 500 points but quits quizbowl in a huff after losing to Matt Weiner and VCU by 450? If by some miracle he really exists, I have a feeling he's much more likely to end the phrase "time to prep for a natty" with "ice" rather than "championship," and is thus not particularly relevant to the rest of your argument.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Keep up the good fight battling the ridiculous strawman of open teams, and good luck piecing this event together. December events are really tough to pull off, I think, with the fatigue level that sets in - but hopefully easier as a house-written event. I'll make every effort to get out to this.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Yeah, I was concerned about that since the tournament is packet submission, but since it's really only the second such event of the semester (not counting ACF Fall, whose writing audience is largely distinct from this and MO), I'm hoping it'll be less of an issue in this case.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Oops, this isn't a house written event! Don't know why I wrote that post thinking it was.

I really hope you don't end up getting a total of four badly written packets for this, cause that seems to be about what happens with these late packet-sub events.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

The University of Missouri will be hosting a mirror of this on December 4th. We will get an announcement up soon.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

So as December 10 is out, it looks like this tournament will stay where it is. Hopefully GSAC will have enough staffers that teams can still attend, and we might also investigate swapping the Saturday/Sunday arrangement of BARGE and TERP (though only if it maximizes overall tournament attendance).

Also, I've added a running field to the first post.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Ah fuck you want a packet too.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

DumbJaques wrote:So as December 10 is out, it looks like this tournament will stay where it is. Hopefully GSAC will have enough staffers that teams can still attend, and we might also investigate swapping the Saturday/Sunday arrangement of BARGE and TERP (though only if it maximizes overall tournament attendance).

Also, I've added a running field to the first post.
I would hope that you would again consider moving this to January rather than scheduling it on a day when I already informed you that, at a minimum, VCU cannot attend, as we have committed to staffing a local high school tournament and take honoring our commitments seriously.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

I would probably attend this were it not in the middle of finals.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Hilarius Bookbinder wrote:I would probably attend this were it not in the middle of finals.
Ditto.
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Well, I'd certainly consider moving the event to January, but is there room to do so with TIT/Penn Bowl?
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Ringil
Rikku

Post by Ringil »

We'd probably show up to Maryland for this (as long as a closer mirror doesn't materialize) if it was on the 10th or early in January as we're hosting a high school tournament on the 3rd.
Libo
Washington '14, Michigan '13, Troy High School '09
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

DumbJaques wrote:Well, I'd certainly consider moving the event to January, but is there room to do so with TIT/Penn Bowl?
When are those happening, anyway?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
journterp
Lulu

Post by journterp »

I, for one, vote for January, as there's a zero percent chance I'd attend this in early December, and a near 100 percent chance I'd attend this if it were held sometime in January
Jeff Amoros
Maryland '09
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Charbroil wrote:
DumbJaques wrote:Well, I'd certainly consider moving the event to January, but is there room to do so with TIT/Penn Bowl?
Is there any chance of this event absorbing or merging with TIT if such a January move happens? Also, would it make more sense attendance-wise to avoid the high school tournaments by running this on Sunday the 4th or Sunday the 11th?

(In any case, I doubt I'd attend unless there's a more northeasterly mirror; just wondering.)
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

RyuAqua wrote:
Charbroil wrote:
Is there any chance of this event absorbing or merging with TIT if such a January move happens? Also, would it make more sense attendance-wise to avoid the high school tournaments by running this on Sunday the 4th or Sunday the 11th?

(In any case, I doubt I'd attend unless there's a more northeasterly mirror; just wondering.)
This seems like a less than wise idea, because the two tournaments are designed for different purposes: TIT is a regular season event and BARGE is an open tournament with a twist. If Chris just ran TIT as an open tournament, ideological opponents of open tournaments such as yourself would surely cry foul.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Based on feedback from various parties, here are the two options I'm currently considering for this tournament:

A) Run it the original weekend, but on Sunday, December 4 instead of Saturday. TERP would run on Saturday. I'm unsure how this impacts VCU/other GSAC-staffing parties, or if is even helpful for people concerned about finals (I'd presume not really).

-OR-
B) Move it to January. I'm ok with doing this, but I'm not sure when it would run. I'd be cool with the 21st/28th, or even MLK weekend (the 14th) if that works out. I'm not sure when Penn Bowl is scheduled for, and TIT will presumably happen at some point around then.

Please let me know via email or posting if your team has a preference for either of the options, and if the latter which date(s) work for you. For obvious reasons I'm looking to make this decision and announce it here post haste.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

MLK weekend seems like the best time period to do a two-day event, and will also let you not conflict with anything.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Matt Weiner wrote:MLK weekend seems like the best time period to do a two-day event, and will also let you not conflict with anything.
I'd be okay with this, again attending a Northeast mirror if one existed. I think it makes sense to run TIT in December if this happened, in order to better offset the crunch of the spring semester with a fall semester that'd include three regular tournaments (and also allow the Maryland circle to avoid dealing with two separate streams of packets in a month).

Do whatever, though, and I'll Deal With It.
Last edited by Adventure Temple Trail on Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

Harvard would probably fly down to come to the main site if it was held in December, but wouldn't come if it was moved to January.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

UVA would very much prefer if this was held in January, mostly because of finals. Not entirely sure if we would go unless it was moved.

EDIT: I am dumb.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Ringil
Rikku

Post by Ringil »

Unless some closer mirror in the Midwest appeared, we'd come and would prefer January. (MLK seems like a good weekend)
Libo
Washington '14, Michigan '13, Troy High School '09
MathMusic
Lulu

Post by MathMusic »

We probably would be okay with either date, but a closer mirror, (such as a canadian one), would be preferred to the main site.
Matthew Hill
U Buffalo '14
Secretary, Past Treasurer and Founding Member, U Buffalo Academic Bowl 2010-2014
Captain, Pembroke, NY HS Quiz Team 2008-2010
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

If you change the date, would the Missouri mirror also move to the same day (or something similar in January)?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

If you change the date, would the Missouri mirror also move to the same day (or something similar in January)?
It would probably have to since it's packet submission, and I'd naturally be revising the submission schedule.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

We only were planning on hosting it as an attachment to our high school tournament, so we can't run it now.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

We will be running a mirror of this in whichever month it actually takes place. I would prefer to run it on 12/3, but if it moves to January, we will run it on 1/29.

EDIT: Date change to avoid conflict.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo »

Speaking as "some guy not in school," I'd like to play this. Let me know if you'd like to team up.

EDIT: Now playing with Penn
Last edited by Lagotto Romagnolo on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Hey, I'm almost certainly going to be moving this tournament to January 14 (MLK Weekend) or January 21 - since I have really no preference whatsoever, anyone who does should let me know ASAP, lest you fall prey to my cruel whim.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Okay.

Given that the date switch is going forward, is anyone else (particularly TIT) able to move their event to December so as to avoid the massive crunch of events building up in the spring?
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

I'm not sure how much weight my opinion holds, but if this was held on Jan 14 I would probably come down to College Park during my winter break to play this (assuming there's no mirror in the northeast)
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Ondes Martenot wrote:(assuming there's no mirror in the northeast)
What an unfortunate assumption.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

If it is the case that this is a two-day combo of BARGE and a trash tournament then doing it during MLK weekend seems 1000000% better than any other weekend.
Matt Weiner
davehopkins
Kimahri

Post by davehopkins »

This is my first year playing real tournaments. I like the MLK weekend idea. I don't think I can make Maryland that weekend. But, it does sound like a good idea considering all the other tournaments.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read the post about the mirror at Illinois. Hopefully I can go to that one.
Last edited by davehopkins on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Dave Hopkins
University of Michigan '13
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I can't think of an opinion that matters less than mine, but I would really prefer there be some collegiate tournament held in December, and I was sort of hoping this would be it. If it's January, I might still try be able to make it to a mirror that's reasonably close (I'm not going to Maryland either way) but I doubt I'd get other people from WKU to go since it's over Winter Break.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

The Hub (Gainesville, Florida) wrote:I can't think of an opinion that matters less than mine, but I would really prefer there be some collegiate tournament held in December, and I was sort of hoping this would be it. If it's January, I might still try be able to make it to a mirror that's reasonably close (I'm not going to Maryland either way) but I doubt I'd get other people from WKU to go since it's over Winter Break.
The main issue with December tournaments is that different schools have different finals schedules, which can severely impact attendance. Also, winter break provides ample opportunity for set editing and playtesting before it is actually used.
journterp
Lulu

Post by journterp »

MLK weekend works best for me - spring semester starts up Jan. 17, so the 21st would be much dicier.
Jeff Amoros
Maryland '09
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

Papa's in the House wrote:We will be running a mirror of this in whichever month it actually takes place. I would prefer to run it on 12/3, but if it moves to January, we will run it on 1/29.

Is the January Sunday date intentional or do you mean 1/28?
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

Gus Honeybun wrote:
Papa's in the House wrote:We will be running a mirror of this in whichever month it actually takes place. I would prefer to run it on 12/3, but if it moves to January, we will run it on 1/29.

Is the January Sunday date intentional or do you mean 1/28?
Date is now TBA. Needless to say, we're running a mirror of this.

EDIT: More on this later
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012