New Trier Varsity: ELEGANT — 12/17/2011 (Winnetka, IL)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jonah
Auron

New Trier Varsity: ELEGANT — 12/17/2011 (Winnetka, IL)

Post by jonah »

The 2011 New Trier Varsity tournament: ELEGANT (Enlightening, Lively, Educational Games At New Trier) will take place on December 17 on the GSAC set, written and edited by the quizbowl team at the Maggie L. Walker Governor's School for Government and International Studies (Richmond, Virginia). More information about the set is available here. Teams from out of state are welcomed: we typically attract a very strong field. In the past we have had teams from Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana.

Registration/Contact. Contact <[email protected]> to register, apply to moderate or otherwise staff, or for anything else. (This address directs to both me and my co-TD, former New Trier coach David Reinstein. We can be individually contacted at <[email protected]> and <[email protected]>, but please use <[email protected]> for anything tournament-related.)

Tournament Format. We will have two divisions, designated Über-Competitive and Standard. Teams choose which division they enter into, although we reserve the right to deny a team's request to enter the Standard division. The Über-Competitive division will be limited to 24 teams and will (assuming we hit 24 teams) consist of four brackets of six teams each, rebracketed into the same, and followed by ACF-style finals. The Standard division will attempt to accommodate as many teams as desire to enter, and will probably be based on bracketed round robins. Programs may enter (for example) an A team in the Über-Competitive division and a B team in the Standard division. When you email [email protected] to register, please indicate which division you wish to enter.

Rules. We will use ACF rules except that teams of five are permitted (per Illinois norms), and correspondingly, rosters are capped at 7 per team. We may or may not use powers.

Fees. $75 per team; teams traveling long distances or who are in financial hardship should inquire for a discount. Illinois teams are expected to bring functional buzzer systems able to accommodate five players on each of two sides unless otherwise arranged. Staff discounts are arranged by having your staffer apply to be a staffer as above; we can credit the $40 to your entry fee if you want.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Eric Huff
Wakka

Re: New Trier Varsity: ELEGANT — 12/17/2011 (Winnetka, IL)

Post by Eric Huff »

We are tentatively "expressing interest" in this.
Eric Huff

National History Bee (eric AT historybee.com)
ACE Quizbowl Camps (eric AT acequizbowlcamp.com)
Former Head Coach, Dorman High School (2001-2012)

http://www.historybee.com
http://www.acequizbowlcamp.com
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Current Field
Über-Competitive Division (24): Auburn A, Auburn B, Belvidere North A, Buffalo Grove A, Carbondale, Centennial, Culver A, Detroit Catholic Central, Dorman, IMSA A, IMSA B, Latin, Libertyville, Loyola A, Loyola B, New Trier, Northmont, Seven Lakes, Springfield, Stevenson A, Stevenson B, Wauconda A, Wheaton North A, Wheaton Warrenville South A

Über-Competitive Division Waitlist:

Standard Division (30): Auburn C, Barrington, Belvidere North B, Belvidere North C, Buffalo Grove B, Classical Consortium Academy, Crete-Monee A, Crete-Monee B, Culver B, Fenton, Fenwick, Lisle, Loyola C, Maine South A, Maine South B, Marian Central Catholic, McHenry, Niles West, Oak Park-River Forest, PORTA, St. Viator A, St. Viator B, St. Viator C, Stevenson C, UChicago Lab, Wauconda B, Wheaton Academy, Wheaton North B, Wheaton North C, Wheaton Warrenville South B

Standard Division Waitlist:

Expressed Interest:
Last edited by jonah on Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:05 pm, edited 60 times in total.
Jonah Greenthal
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

Northmont will be there again this year- you can put us in the Uber-competitive division.
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
Wackford Squeers
Wakka

Post by Wackford Squeers »

Carbondale will be there in most foreseeable circumstances.
Ben Chametzky
University of Chicago, 2016
Carbondale Community High School, 2012
IHSSBCA High School Liaison 2011-2012
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Put Belvidere North down as "expressing interest," this is one of the tournaments a few of my teammates and I are really interested in going to, but we need to set things up with our Coach before we know for sure if we're coming.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
mr_basque
Lulu

Post by mr_basque »

Belvidere North would certainly like to attend. Not sure about a couple things, the fee (budget cuts) and the timing (weekend before finals). You can put us down for 2 teams and we will work out the rest.
John B.
ACE staff member
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

mr_basque wrote:Belvidere North would certainly like to attend. Not sure about a couple things, the fee (budget cuts) and the timing (weekend before finals). You can put us down for 2 teams and we will work out the rest.
I'm going to make the guess that you mean one in each division; please let me know if this isn't right. Also, please email me ASAP with a cell phone number to reach you on the day of the tournament in case of emergency. Thanks!
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Seven Lakes has joined the field in the Über-Competitive Division.
Jonah Greenthal
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

You can go ahead and put IMSA down for two teams. You can choose in which division to put IMSA B. (I'll send a more official registration email later.)
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Dominator wrote:You can go ahead and put IMSA down for two teams. You can choose in which division to put IMSA B. (I'll send a more official registration email later.)
Will do. I'm putting IMSA B in Standard for now, but I reserve the right to change my mind based on what I see at tournaments between now and then, and of course you have the right to request a change as long as there's room available in the Über-Competitive Division.
Jonah Greenthal
Eric Huff
Wakka

Post by Eric Huff »

Please move us from "Expressed Interest" to "Uber-Competitive Division".

Thanks!
Eric Huff

National History Bee (eric AT historybee.com)
ACE Quizbowl Camps (eric AT acequizbowlcamp.com)
Former Head Coach, Dorman High School (2001-2012)

http://www.historybee.com
http://www.acequizbowlcamp.com
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Loyola will have one team in the U-C division and two teams in the Standard division. We might decide to move up our B team at a later date.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

An official invitation letter and entry form are now available.

Actually filling out the entry form is not required as long as you email [email protected] with the necessary info. I have said necessary info from everyone listed in the field update except Belvidere North.
Jonah Greenthal
Harpie's Feather Duster

Belvidere North may not be attending since the tournament's the weekend before our Finals. I'd e-mail Mr. Basque about it.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

Coach G
Lulu

Post by Coach G »

Rockford Auburn would like to enter its A and B teams in the U-C division, and a C team in the Standard division. I don't know yet if we'll have enough for a D team, given that vacation starts that day.
Linda J. Greene
Rockford Auburn Coach
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Coach G wrote:Rockford Auburn would like to enter its A and B teams in the U-C division, and a C team in the Standard division. I don't know yet if we'll have enough for a D team, given that vacation starts that day.
Excellent. Please keep me updated on the D team, and whether you can bring any staffers—we're always glad to have your alumni (or whoever else).
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

jonah wrote:whether you can bring any staffers
And on that note, we invite anyone interested in staffing to contact [email protected]. An email will be going out to our usual staffers sometime next week (?), but proactivity is welcome.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

This tournament is platinum-certified by PACE, so the top 25% of the Über-Competitive division's field will qualify for the NSC on June 9–10 at Washington University in St. Louis. Furthermore, teams will be able to register early—as soon as this tournament has concluded—and with a $75 discount.

Also, we have been approved by MSHSAA so that teams participating in MSHSAA Scholar Bowl may attend.
Jonah Greenthal
garciaja
Lulu

Post by garciaja »

Centennial would like to go this year. Something about Uber-competitive makes me wary, but I suppose we'll put our names into that category.
James Garcia
Champaign Centennial High School Coach
Player for Springfield Southeast '04
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

garciaja wrote:Centennial would like to go this year. Something about Uber-competitive makes me wary, but I suppose we'll put our names into that category.
Great! We're thrilled to have you. Please email me if you have any concerns about the Über-Competitive division or its appropriateness for your team.
Jonah Greenthal
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

For teams coming from far away:

hotels.com has pretty good deals on hotels in the area.

The Chicago O'Hare Garden Hotel right now is $42/night (normally 84), has an airport shuttle, and is 4 blocks from the Blue Line El.
The Super 8 in Morton Grove is $47.
The Executive Plaza Hotel in Wheeling is $50 (normally $99), and looks sharp. The local restaurants are also pretty good, according to locals.
The Traveler's Inn in Niles is $49.

The site lists a number of others, but are not close to New Trier. The ones I listed are less than 10 miles from New Trier.
MissIrene
Lulu

Post by MissIrene »

Wauconda is expressing interest, but I am waiting to hear from my AD. We will probably field an A and a B team.
Irene Ducharme
"Miss Irene"
Wauconda High School
Scholastic Bowl Coach
MissIrene
Lulu

Post by MissIrene »

Okay, I have the go-ahead. I will bring Wauconda A for the competitive bracket, and B for the regular. Let me know what we need to register.
Irene Ducharme
"Miss Irene"
Wauconda High School
Scholastic Bowl Coach
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Carbondale has officially registered.
Jonah Greenthal
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Teams can register by using the links at this post.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

The Belvidere North issues have been worked out; they're coming. Other teams should come too.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Several teams have registered in the past few days. Among these is Detroit Catholic Central, who represent our fifth state. We currently have 19 teams in the Über-Competitive division, which is 5 short of the division's cap, so others interested should register soon.

We are very much in need of staff.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

jonah wrote:Several teams have registered in the past few days. Among these is Detroit Catholic Central, who represent our fifth state. We currently have 19 teams in the Über-Competitive division, which is 5 short of the division's cap, so others interested should register soon.
Now we have 21 (and six states; welcome, Culver!) in the Über-Competitive division, so there are 3 spots left.
jonah wrote:We are very much in need of staff.
Still this.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

We're excited for a strong southern presence at our tournament, which has been augmented with the addition of Chattahoochee to the field.

Loyola B has also moved to the Über-Competitive Division, putting it at 24 teams and closing its field. The Standard Division is still open, and I am happy to take a waitlist for the Über-Competitive Division. It is possible that some teams will wish to move down from the Über-Competitive to the Standard Division.
Jonah Greenthal
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

jonah wrote:We're excited for a strong NATIONAL presence at our tournament, which has been augmented with the addition of Chattahoochee to the field.
Fixed your post.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Stevenson had a slight hiccup in their timing. Stevenson A is too good for the Standard Division, but the Über-Competitive Division is full, so they are on the waitlist for that (second in line). Stevenson B is in for the Standard Division, and for the sake of clarity they will be labeled "Stevenson B" even if Stevenson A doesn't end up playing. Stevenson C may enter too.
Jonah Greenthal
tinioril
Lulu

Post by tinioril »

IMSA B is listed in both divisions...
Ned Lauber
Wheaton Warrenville South '12
Vanderbilt '16
Harpie's Feather Duster

It looks like some team dropped from Uber, allowing IMSA B to move up, and Jonah just forgot to remove them from Standard.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

King of Carrot Flowers wrote:It looks like some team dropped from Uber, allowing IMSA B to move up, and Jonah just forgot to remove them from Standard.
That.

Thanks for the correction; the field listing is now correct.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

The Über-Competitive Division's waitlist is now empty, as Barrington A will be missing some key players and has therefore moved down to the Standard Division, accommodating Stevenson A in the Über-Competitive Division.

We are currently over 24 teams in the Standard Division, so we're now hoping to get to 30. If we hit 30, there's a pretty good chance we'll close the field then.

We still really need staff.
Jonah Greenthal
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Here is the current New Trier Varsity Uber-Competitive field, including their ranks in the current IHSSBCA Members Poll (state of IL only) and Fred Morlan (national) rankings.
Team Name: (IHSSBCA, Fred)
Auburn A: (2nd, 4th)
Auburn B: (28th, UR)
Belvidere North A: (7th, 41st)
Buffalo Grove A: (11th, 63rd)
Carbondale: (4th, 16th)
Centennial: (15th, UR)
Chattahoochee: (NA, 29th)
Culver A: (NA, UR)
Detroit Catholic Central: (NA, 8th)
Dorman: (NA, 5th)
IMSA A: (1st, 12th)
IMSA B: (12th, 22nd)
Latin: (6th, 33rd)
Libertyville: (24th, UR)
Loyola A: (3rd, 13th)
Loyola B: (19th, UR)
New Trier: (9th, 46th)
Northmont: (NA, 24th)
Seven Lakes: (NA, 6th)
Springfield: (14th, 87th)
Stevenson A: (5th, 59th)
Wauconda A: (20th, UR)
Wheaton North A: (16th, 95th)
Wheaton Warrenville South A (10th, 76th)

So, 13 of the top 15 teams (and all 18 are in the top 28) in Illinois, together with 5 non-IL teams nationally ranked in the top 30 nationally. All told, 18 of Fred's top 100 - including 8 of the top 25! - are here.

What I'm saying is--come moderate this tournament! I would pay to read for these teams**, and they're offering pizza and cash!

**don't let Jonah/Reinstein know that I said this
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

The UChicago Lab School has claimed the 30th spot in the Standard Division. Registrations are now closed and a waitlist will be maintained. I would love to expand to 36 teams in the Standard Division, but that will only be possible if I get more staff. So please, come and staff!
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Sadly, Chattahoochee has had to drop. We therefore have one spot available in the Über-Competitive Division. If it is not otherwise filled, Stevenson B will take it, but if any other team wants it, it is theirs.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

jonah wrote:Sadly, Chattahoochee has had to drop. We therefore have one spot available in the Über-Competitive Division. If it is not otherwise filled, Stevenson B will take it, but if any other team wants it, it is theirs.
That spot is still available, and there is also one opening in the Standard Division.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Barrington B is out; Belvidere North C is in. The upshot is that we still have one spot in the Standard Division available, plus one spot in your choice of division.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

One spot left. Whoever claims it gets to pick their division.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

jonah wrote:One spot left. Whoever claims it gets to pick their division.
Niles West claimed it, in the Standard Division. Stevenson B will play in the Über-Competitive Division. We can take a waitlist if anyone is interested.
Jonah Greenthal
the return of AHAN
Auron

BTW, have we reached the point where tournaments are all assumed to be starting at 9 AM? I can't find the start time in this post or the linked documents. :neutral:
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Moving Day wrote:BTW, have we reached the point where tournaments are all assumed to be starting at 9 AM? I can't find the start time in this post or the linked documents. :neutral:
I sent out an email to all registered teams' representatives as listed on the registration form, which for Barrington is Rob Baker, with details. I'll forward it to you, but the immediate answer is that you should arrive at New Trier between 8 and 8:30.
Jonah Greenthal
the return of AHAN
Auron

Ah. That explains it. I'll bug Rob for that e-mail.
Jeff Price
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

I saw the Prelim stats for this great field on the Quizbowl Resource Database. Any update on the playoffs, even if it is only a brief narrative of the key results until final stats are up?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Charles Martel
Wakka

Post by Charles Martel »

Here's what I believe happened in the upper bracket:
IMSA A went 5-0
Auburn A went 3-2 with losses to IMSA and Dorman
Dorman A went 2-3 with wins against Auburn and Seven Lakes
Seven Lakes A went 2-3 with wins against Carbondale and Loyola
Loyola A went 2-3 with wins against Dorman and Carbondale
Carbondale went 1-4 with a win against Dorman

Not sure how ties were resolved.
Adam Kalinich
MIT 2012-
Illinois Math and Science Academy 2009-2012
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=12485
If you didn't check the liveblog thread there was a bit of stuff there
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Edward Powers wrote:I saw the Prelim stats for this great field on the Quizbowl Resource Database. Any update on the playoffs, even if it is only a brief narrative of the key results until final stats are up?
IMSA cleared the field. Auburn got second. When we left, Seven Lakes, Loyola, and Dorman were playing off for third (ranked in that order). Carbondale took sixth.

I am under the impression DCC won the second playoff bracket for 7th place, but I am in no way certain of that, and less certain of what happened below that.

Facebook tells me that Barrington won the Standard Division.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)