Collegiate Novice at Minnesota (9/24)

Old college threads.
eliza.grames
Wakka

Collegiate Novice at Minnesota (9/24)

Post by eliza.grames »

The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, will be hosting a mirror Collegiate Novice on Saturday, September 14 2011. This tournament is accessible to all players, regardless of experience, and is aimed especially at new collegiate players in their freshman or sophomore years. Gaurav Kandlikar will be TDing things the day of the tournament, but any questions up til that point may be directed to me.

Location and Time: This event will take place in Blegen Hall on the West Bank of the U of M campus. The tournament will start at 9:00 am, with registration running from 8:15-8:45 in Blegen Hall Room 5.

Eligibility: The following eligibility requirements apply to everyone; special permission to play must be requested from the head editor Andrew Hart ([email protected]).
1. All ACF eligibility rules apply, except when they contradict the rules below.
2.This is a tournament for introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl. Consequently, no high school teams or players are eligible.
3. Anyone (who does not break Rules 1 or 2) who has never played quizbowl before is automatically eligible. Other academic competition does not count as quizbowl for this rule.
4. Players meeting one or more of the following criteria must apply to the head editor for special permission to play:
i. If you have already completed your second year of college (calculated from time in college, not credits). Time in a post-secondary high school program does not count.
ii. If you were ever on a playoff or top-bracket team at NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC.
iii. If you have ever scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament.
iv. If you have ever won any college tournament.
5. Anyone who does not fall into any of the four categories listed in Rule 4 is automatically eligible to play.

Costs and Discounts:
Base fee: $15/player ($60 for a 4-player team)
Buzzer: -$5
Moderator: -$10
Travel: -$10 if over 200 miles by Google maps
Minimum fee: $5/player

Registration: Contact me at [email protected] to register a team.

Field:
Minnesota (3)
Minnesota Morris (1)
Carleton (2)
UST (1)
Augustana (1)
Last edited by eliza.grames on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Eliza Grames
University of Minnesota '13
University of Connecticut '21
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Re: Collegiate Novice at Minnesota (9/17)

Post by OctagonJoe »

Any chance of this getting pushed back a week?
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames »

To Saturday, September 24? It's a possibility - I'd have to find a willing TD because I'm not available that day. I'll talk to Gaurav and see if he'd be willing to do it then and let you know.
Eliza Grames
eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames »

This tournament has been moved to Saturday, September 24 with Gaurav Kandlikar TDing things. Registrations can still be sent to me at [email protected], and all information aside from the date will remain the same.
Eliza Grames
Coelacanth
Rikku

Re: Collegiate Novice at Minnesota (9/24)

Post by Coelacanth »

If you are running this on the 24th, I'd strongly encourage you to run it as early in the day as possible. Campus will start to be overrun by Bison in the mid-to-late afternoon.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More, I cannot say.
eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames »

Coffman doesn't open until 8:00 am, so we'll try to get the tournament started at 9:00 am, before football fans overrun campus.
Eliza Grames
DLSqb10
Lulu

Post by DLSqb10 »

St. Thomas will probably do this, can't say for sure yet since i'm not officially in charge. I'll probably help staff and bring a buzzer.
Losha Ndemeno-Tegomoh, DeLaSalle High School '10
University of St. Thomas '14
eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames »

The location for this has changed to Blegen Hall, which is now reflected in the original post.
Eliza Grames
CaptainSwing
Lulu

Post by CaptainSwing »

I can also help staff.
Max Henkel
Carleton '14
Writer, NAQT
gaurav.kandlikar
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by gaurav.kandlikar »

This tournament is under way. Stats can be found here. I'll probably be updating those every round for anyone interested.
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE
gaurav.kandlikar
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by gaurav.kandlikar »

Minnesota A defeated Minnesota C twice in an undavantaged final to win this tournament. Final combined stats can be found here.

Thanks to all teams who made it to this tournament. I hope everyone had a good day. I saw some impressive stat lines from everyone who played today, and I hope to see everyone continue to play collegiate quizbowl.

Thanks to Mike Cheyne, Robin Heinonen, Matt Hart, Kelsey McCoy, Cresston Gackle, Michael McLaughlin, and Carsten Gehring for staffing. Thanks to Andrew and co. for producing a really good set. Remember that these questions are being used in the upcoming weekends, so if you have any specific comments, you can email Andrew Hart or gain access to the private discussion forum and discuss there.

edited to make sense.
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE