ANNOUNCEMENT: Guerilla History Doubles (July 29 @ CO Weeknd)

Old college threads.
EncyclopediaCDRom
Wakka

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Guerilla History Doubles (July 29 @ CO Weeknd)

Post by EncyclopediaCDRom »

I have put the UIC back-up buzzer in the trunk of the Rommobile, but it is stuck at ~ 6/8 strength. I can see what I can re-repair during whiffle ball. It is now raining/thundering for at least the 3rd straight Chicagoland evening with more in the forecast. I can bring a few cases of cold sodas, too.

Hoping for Brett to backup Vick,
Rom
Rom Masrour
president of RomNation at the races
2011 INDYCAR, 2012 NASCAR, 2012 GRAND-AM, & 2012 American Le Mans Series hard card holder
licensed crew member for car #51 in the 2011-2012 NASCAR Nationwide Series & car #15 in the 2012 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series
"I'm glad you were at Kentucky for Ed's win instead of me."
"Rommy is better known in the paddock than half the drivers are."
"Drivers love Rommy even more than Rommy loves them."
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

The War (boxing) wrote:I'm skeptical of the idea that most quizbowlers would have a problem playing until 11 PM, especially at Chicago Open where it's rather expected that things will run well into the night.

But if there is overwhelming support I will go along with it.
11 PM is a pretty optimistic end time. From what I understand, there are 14 packets and a finals. If we start exactly at 7:00 PM and the rounds take 20 minutes each (which I don't think is a stretch when you account for having to shift moderators around since we need people playing to read, people taking bathroom breaks, walking between rooms, people getting used to computers they haven't used before, some packets probably having 8+ line questions, etc.) that means that we'll finish at midnight.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

Will Butler and I are playing this
Ike
UIUC 13
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I didn't plan on playing this but if people want to make up whimsical 4-person teams to cut into this event's length I'm up for hopping in on that, otherwise I can staff.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

I do have Guy's half of the Tabachnick-Weiner packet and Ben's half of the Chametzky-Nutter packet. I also have 13 questions from Auroni.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Kyle wrote:I do have Guy's half of the Tabachnick-Weiner packet and Ben's half of the Chametzky-Nutter packet. I also have 13 questions from Auroni.
I just sent you our packet.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

By my count:

There are currently 15 teams of two signed up, which makes the formation of quads a touch awkward. If you count Rom and Dees, we could form eight teams, although this again is annoying because the schedule requires byes.

I used a random number generator to pair off some of the teams and it actually worked out more or less fair by my estimation. I won't call it official because who knows who will show up, but if we end up doing quads, this would be an option once we see who's there.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

So, uh, I feel like I should warn all potential moderators in advance to take a deep breath and hold on tight.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
#1 Mercury Adept
Wakka

Post by #1 Mercury Adept »

Distance model wrote:
Cheynem wrote:It would be great to have at least one more staffer and several more buzzer systems.

Also, please brig a laptop if possible.
I'm getting in to Chicago around 4 that day, so I would be able to staff this.
My flight was cancelled, and I'm now on a flight that leaves Detroit later in the evening, so I will actually not be in Chicago in time to moderate for this.
M(ir)ia(m) Nussbaum
Former player for Ithaca High School, Cornell, MIT
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I really dont feel like changingnthe nature of this tournament the day of, especially since it would require smashing together packets without editorial oversight. Additionally, I don't think a tossup only subject tournament would be nearly as much of a fun competition with 8 players in the room, and nobody actually signed up to play that.

Most importantly, I suspect the actual time you'd save by doing this would be minimal - I mean, we're not talking less questions here, just less time between rounds. We can make that more negligible than average with effort, an dont forget that combining inro quads would inevitably involve haggling, drafting, schedule-rewriting, etc. If you subtract that time from the alleged gains by cutting out mysteriously long bathroom breaks, I bet it nearly evens out anyway.

Besides, we can always play the finals after co proper something if it goes abysmally late (which, again, I think will be independent of quads vs. doubles). Hell, based on my experience with how long figuring out teams/schedules from scratch the day of an event can take, I actually think this plan would take longer.

Anyway ,we've had these plans set for a while now, and people knew what the deal was. Co side events run late, it's Chicago Open! Seriously, this plan is not a good one, and with charlie available and bye teams reading (like everyone playing is a good mod), it's not even going to be hugely helpful from a staffing perspective.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

I'm not going to be there, and thus my opinions on all matters of logistics are irrelevant, but I do agree with Chris that people didn't sign up to play a tournament in teams of four. We have some really interesting pairs of people who signed up to play doubles together, and some (but not all!) of those people seem to have worked hard together writing packets that reflect the styles and interests of both people. So I do think it would be a shame for this tournament not to proceed with doubles as planned.

EDIT: Also, at least three of the contributors to this tournament need to learn how to spell the word "Massachusetts"
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Susan

Post by Susan »

Do you guys have enough staffers to run doubles? You have three people signed up in the post that lists staffers (Michael Hausinger, Matt Jackson--who had a question mark after his name in Mike Cheyne's list--and Bryce Durgin) plus Charlie Dees, plus two people who will be on their bye each round. That leaves you one short (unless Rom was planning on staffing?) in which case you have exactly enough with no room for any staffer or player to have some sort of travel mishap. I obviously have no dog in this fight as I'm not playing, but unless I've missed a staffer or two it seems like you're cutting it awfully close if you do doubles.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Start with a group of 7 and a group of eight. Play a rr, then rebracket into 6-6-3. If my scratches on a pad of paper are correct, you can be assured of having adequate packets if you play the first rr with the 7 packets of the group of 7.

Edit: nevermind, still doesn't work.

Edit 2: But it would work with 14 teams. I like including as many as possible, but didn't team 15 sign up yesterday? If so, it seems that they may need to be dropped to get this to work. Obviously, if we can just find another staffer, that would be preferable, though.

Edit 3: Looks like a train is not my best thinking spot. Given the lack of bonuses, powers, and tb packets, and given the anticipated packet variability, there is no good way to pick team 7 in a 7-7 rebracket, and you go one packet short in a 6-6-2.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Here's the current situation. The following 13 teams have written full packets:
Arthur Byrne
Bentley Carson
Blaszkiewicz Hang
Bollinger Cheyne
Davis Hart
Droge Zeng
Gauthier Steinbaum
Gehring Larsen
Hoppes Ray
Kandlikar Simons
Lafer Westbrook
Magin Vinokurov
Tabachnick Weiner

You guys get to play this tournament in a doubles fashion.

The following teams did not complete the requirement of submitting a full packet with enough time for Kyle to edit the questions. You lose your right to have a guaranteed spot in this tournament and will likely be employed in assisting with reading or possibly filling in for people who aren't here yet:
Ike Jose / Will Butler
Joe Nutter / Ben Chemitzky

We will do a 13 team round robin of doubles teams followed by a finals from the packet from Kyle/Chris (there are also some questions from Auroni that can maybe be used in an emergency).

This implies there are 6 game rooms at once. The two people on bye will help the 3 full-time staffers read. I heard some rumblings that Charlie Dees maybe might be available as a 6th staffer, if not it will be one of the people from the Ike or Joe team that felt that writing a packet was not a requirement for this tournament.
Mike Bentley
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

I should take this opportunity to thank Auroni for sending me a bunch of questions. I used two of them to fill in for missing tiebreaker questions and noted his contributions where appropriate. I still have the other 11. I had hoped to combine those questions with some of what I have from Joe and Ben, but that process would take somewhat more effort than I had realized. Auroni, I guess this is the peril of sending a weird number of questions at the last minute. I do appreciate the gift -- too bad the timing and the numbers aren't working out well. I don't want to see them wasted (many are really well written), so I think I'll just send them back to you so you can use them again at any tournament I won't attend (which is almost any tournament).

Mike Bentley is teaching me how to password-protect files "properly," after which the packets will be dispatched.
Last edited by Kyle on Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Mike Bentley has the passwords. Mike Cheyne and Bruce Arthur have the packets.

Good luck to everybody playing in this tournament. There are some really cool questions in it. I hope you have fun playing on them.

But don't stay up too late.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

I suppose I'll staff.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments

Mike Bentley wrote:if not it will be one of the people from the Ike or Joe team that felt that writing a packet was not a requirement for this tournament.
It wasn't, necessarily.
If your team submits a packet, the cost to play is FREE. If space permits, people who did not write packets can join teams that did write packets, but they will have to pay a fee, which will go towards buying food for people who did write packets. It is not guaranteed that we will have space for people who didn’t write packets.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

So we just got kicked out of the building with 2.5 rounds left.
Mike Bentley
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

After some entertaining discussion in the shadow of The Man, the following is the situation:

-There are either 2 or 2.5 rounds left of the round robin to play (depending on how far through the Gauthier/Steinbaum packet your room got).

-The current plan is to set up immediately following CO and finish the tournament. Teams will finish the Gau/Ste round (DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE QUESTIONS FROM THAT ROUND no matter how cool it was to see Jeff Hoppes first line 10 of them), while teams that have already done so will chill. We'll then read the next two rounds and do finals as necessary. If teams do not wish to play the remaining 2/2.5 rounds, they can simply not show up (though it'd be helpful if you let people know of your intention at some point during CO proper tomorrow).

-This wasn't discussed, but I suspect we'll need to organize some sort of dinner-ordering plan to make sure we aren't once again kicked out by security (hopefully UChicago people are on this issue, though). I'd recommend discussing this tomorrow.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Congratulations to the Carl Winslow Experience on its win.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Current standings through 10 rounds:

Hoppes/Ray: 8-1
Weiner/Tabachnick: 8-1
Droge/Zeng/Chametzky: 6-3
Bollinger/Cheyne: 6-3
Gauthier/Steinbaum: 6-4 (Bye in round 11)
Arthur/Byrne: 5-4
Kandlikar/Simons/Jose: 5-4
Lafer/Brook: 4-5
Hart/Davis: 4-6
Gehring/Larsen/Hansen: 3-6
Magin/Vinokurov: 3-6
Carson/Bentley: 2-7
Hang/Adrian B/Nutter: 0-10

Also, in round 11, Hoppes/Ray beat Magin/Vinokurov, and Lafer/Brook had an insurmountable lead on Kandlikar/Simons.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Assuming the Droge/Zeng/Chametzky team doesn't go on an epic winning streak, it looks like the finals are not going to involve anybody named Chametzky, Jose, Nutter, or Gupta. Do you guys want me to compile their questions into a second packet for an advantaged final? There are some repeats, but if I sort through everything I could put together something usable. I have 11 from Ben and Joe, 12 from Ike, and 11 remaining from the lot Auroni sent me. Can somebody let me know if you want/need this to happen?
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

As our round was ending, Bruce Arthur was destroying my team.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Kyle wrote:Assuming the Droge/Zeng/Chametzky team doesn't go on an epic winning streak, it looks like the finals are not going to involve anybody named Chametzky, Jose, Nutter, or Gupta. Do you guys want me to compile their questions into a second packet for an advantaged final? There are some repeats, but if I sort through everything I could put together something usable. I have 11 from Ben and Joe, 12 from Ike, and 11 remaining from the lot Auroni sent me. Can somebody let me know if you want/need this to happen?
I don't think anyone (except maybe Andrew who wants to have his Law tournament played) will complain about more packets being available, but if they don't materialize I think we can manage.
Mike Bentley
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Mike Bentley wrote:I don't think anyone (except maybe Andrew who wants to have his Law tournament played) will complain about more packets being available, but if they don't materialize I think we can manage.
I just don't want to waste the questions if they aren't going to be used. I'm the only person who has seen them and I don't play very many tournaments, so if they aren't going to be played then we should just let their authors submit them to something else.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

Kyle wrote:
Mike Bentley wrote:I don't think anyone (except maybe Andrew who wants to have his Law tournament played) will complain about more packets being available, but if they don't materialize I think we can manage.
I just don't want to waste the questions if they aren't going to be used. I'm the only person who has seen them and I don't play very many tournaments, so if they aren't going to be played then we should just let their authors submit them to something else.
Chametzky saw mine, so they can't really be reused. I'd be happy for them to be read in some capacity.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

We decided not to resume play on Saturday night.

Perhaps the remaining packets can be read shootout-style at VCU Open?
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Wackford Squeers
Wakka

Post by Wackford Squeers »

I'm fine with my questions being used however.
Ben Chametzky
Carbondale Community High School, 2012
IHSSBCA High School Liaison 2011-2012
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Hoppes/me and Weiner/guy played a final outside on the steps of the Linnaeus statue, where you buzzed in by stomping and correct answers allowed you to descend the steps of knowledge to Olmec's temple. I believe we won 90-45. Jeff Hoppes is really good at history.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Wackford Squeers
Wakka

Post by Wackford Squeers »

DumbJaques wrote:Hoppes/me and Weiner/guy played a final outside on the steps of the Linnaeus statue, where you buzzed in by stomping and correct answers allowed you to descend the steps of knowledge to Olmec's temple. I believe we won 90-45. Jeff Hoppes is really good at history.
Were my questions read, and if so, how did they go over?
Ben Chametzky
Carbondale Community High School, 2012
IHSSBCA High School Liaison 2011-2012
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

do stats exist for this tournament?
Matt Lafer
Plymouth Salem 1997-2001
University of Michigan 2001-2005

No, I have all the scoresheets and no access to a computer with SQBS. I will try to hand them off to someone who can do them at VCU Open.