Player movement/retirement thread

Old college threads.
suds1000
Wakka

Player movement/retirement thread

Post by suds1000 »

Now that the national tournaments are over, I'm curious to hear which graduating/transferring players are moving where next year. Here are some of the rumors I've heard (please confirm or deny any of these you know about):

Sudheer Potru --> fifth year at UIUC
Mike Sorice --> grad school at UIUC until forever, at which point he will become sterile from various forms of nuclear radiation
Dom Ricci --> Ph.D. thesis defense in October/November

Matt Lafer --> actual gainful employment, at least temporarily
Leo Wolpert --> CS graduate school at UCSD (i.e. effective retirement)?
Zeke Berdichevsky --> retirement, supposedly
Ryan Westbrook --> law school at UIUC?

Chris Frankel --> effective fifth year at Princeton

Jerry Vinokurov --> ?

Subash Maddipoti --> retirement?

Matt Weiner --> ?

Micha Elsner --> grad school, Fred may have mentioned?

Yogesh Raut --> ?

Dan Suzman --> medical school of some kind?

That's all the people I can think of for now...feel free to chime in if you're graduating or moving somewhere, or if you know what's going on with any of these people.
Leo Wolpert
Wakka

Re: Player movement/retirement thread

Post by Leo Wolpert »

Here's some reality:

Leo Wolpert --> University of Virginia for CS Graduate School.

Ryan Westbrook --> Wayne State University or University of Michigan for Law School.

Jerry Vinokurov --> Brown for Graduate studies of some sort.

Micha Elsner --> Brown for Graduate studies of some sort.

Matt Weiner --> At least one more semester at VCU.
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I'd be curious as to the fate of Jason Mueller.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
PRStoetzer
Lulu

Post by PRStoetzer »

Kevin Roth is heading to Eastern Europe with the Peace Corps and then will likely attend graduate school, but has pretty much indicated his retirement from quiz bowl.
Paul R. Stoetzer
President, Michigan State University Academic Competition Club
Former Captain, Eisenhower High School Quiz Bowl Team (2001-2003)
AuguryMarch
Lulu

Post by AuguryMarch »

not sure if I'm playing or what, but I'm probably going to be starting a phd program at Carnegie Mellon. (might defer, in which case I'd be starting at CMU in fall of 2006 instead).
grapesmoker
Sin

Re: Player movement/retirement thread

Post by grapesmoker »

Leo Wolpert wrote: Jerry Vinokurov --> Brown for Graduate studies of some sort.
Physics, actually. Brown was the only bunch of suckers I managed to fool into accepting me, so I'll be seeing many of you guys next year. Hopefully Micah will want to continue playing and we can get a team started there.

Jerry

EDIT: Ray Luo, who was on our ACF Nationals team this year, is going to UCLA for graduate school.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
QuizBowlRonin
Wakka

Post by QuizBowlRonin »

Good luck in Providence, Yuri.
Jason Paik
retired

WashU, UAB, Stanford
Trey
Lulu

Post by Trey »

1. I think I speak for most pedestrians when I say I'm glad to hear of Sorice's impending sterilization.
2. Brown could be a scary, scary team next year.
3. Allegedly Vik Vaz will be doing clinical rotations in Austin and may become part of the UT team.
4. Will Frankel be back for fall and spring, or just fall?
5. Is Fred returning?
6. Are the rumors of the Second Retirement of Subash based on fact, or is this just rampant ass-speculation? If genuine, will Yaphe replace him with the remainder of the Chicago configuration unchanged?
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

Fred indicated to me that he would certainly (but probably only) retire if Rochester won CBI Nationals, which means you may be seeing more of him next year. Maybe.

As mentioned before, I'm going out into the real world, where I will most likely be a homeless bum for a year or two and run back to the "comfort" of grad school at the first possible opportunity.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
Chris Frankel
Wakka

Post by Chris Frankel »

Actually I'll be back in Princeton only for the spring semester, since they only allow people to take full years off at a time so they can standardize graduation for the spring.

As for after that, I may reapply to UT law since I got accepted this past cycle and would want to live in Texas after graduation, but chances are mostly that next spring will be my last semester of college qb, as I'm quite sick of school and want to get out into the real world.
mps4a_mps4a
Lulu

Post by mps4a_mps4a »

i'm worse than i think everyone in this thread, but i'm doing teach for america in DC and will be taking classes at American. If they have a team (they went to one tournament last year), there's a 50% chance I'll play.

Side-note: If I'm getting my Teacher Certification but not getting a Master's (not sure which I'm doing yet), can I play? If I can't, that would help make that decision much easier.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

[quote="mps4a_mps4a]Side-note: If I'm getting my Teacher Certification but not getting a Master's (not sure which I'm doing yet), can I play? If I can't, that would help make that decision much easier.[/quote]

My reading of the NAQT and ACF eligibility rules say yes, since you are taking classes for credit towards something. You may want to mail NAQT to be sure but I doubt anyone else will have a problem.

I'd also like to remind everyone that this much-discussed beast known as "retirement" has never actually been spotted in the wild, and as long as the people mentioned here are still enrolled somewhere you can expect them all to show up at one or more tournaments next year with 100% certainty.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

Trey wrote:1. I think I speak for most pedestrians when I say I'm glad to hear of Sorice's impending sterilization.
You did mean to say pediatricians, right?
mps4a_mps4a wrote:i'm worse than i think everyone in this thread, but i'm doing teach for america in DC and will be taking classes at American. If they have a team (they went to one tournament last year), there's a 50% chance I'll play.

Side-note: If I'm getting my Teacher Certification but not getting a Master's (not sure which I'm doing yet), can I play? If I can't, that would help make that decision much easier.
I have seen American at a few events in the past few years.

Although I am not completely sure, I believe taking classes in a certificate program makes you eligible for ACF and NAQT, and by extension other circuit tournaments, since circuit tournaments also tend to use the criterion of taking classes toward the fulfillment of an academic "piece of paper," whereas just taking adult education or random film classes a la John Nam might not cut it. For example, a few years ago, Mike Starsinic played for Maryland while taking classes toward some kind of statistics certification. He talked to NAQT and he was allowed to play in SCT and ICT. You may want to contact NAQT to determine your eligibility.
mps4a_mps4a
Lulu

Post by mps4a_mps4a »

thanks, matt and dan.

and john kenney is perhaps the exception that proves the rule. To my knowledge, he's not played in a single tournament since graduating UVA and going to Penn for his PhD. He showed up to Penn Bowl whatever two years to say hi to our team, but he didn't play and I don't think he even moderated.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Matt Weiner wrote:I'd also like to remind everyone that this much-discussed beast known as "retirement" has never actually been spotted in the wild, and as long as the people mentioned here are still enrolled somewhere you can expect them all to show up at one or more tournaments next year with 100% certainty.
Now, now, I actually retired back in 2000 after getting married.

And yes, Morgan, since you're working towards a degree in something or other, or a certification in something or other, you can play. Ditto if your work makes you take classes (I think that was the case for Mike S. those many years ago.)
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

My reading of NAQT eligibility is that you must take classes toward some degree. ACF eligibility from everything I can see merely requires that you take a class, somehow maintaining an "affiliation" with a university. Is this not true?

If this is the case, I'll play ACF for Michigan no matter whether I go to law school there or not, as I'll still be "affiliated" with them through certain classes. I'm fully prepared to suffer the consequences of playing NAQT as wayne state if need be.
creed_of_hubris
Lulu

Post by creed_of_hubris »

Trey wrote: 5. Is Fred returning?
Although I'll still be working on the PhD, I will not be living in Rochester next year so the likelihood of me playing is quite low.

I was gonna officially retire if we won a "national title" and may still.