Illinois '11-'12

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Illinois '11-'12

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Next year looks like a promising one for Illinois quizbowl. Even with some promising players leaving (Andrew, Ben, Kevin, and Greg namely), there are still many great teams as well as some rising threats. So what teams from Illinois do you guys think will be the most successful? I'll throw in my $0.02 on Illinois teams some time in the future.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Re: Illinois '11-'12

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

King of Carrot Flowers wrote:Next year looks like a promising one for Illinois quizbowl. Even with some promising players leaving (Andrew, Ben, Kevin, and Greg namely), there are still many great teams as well as some rising threats. So what teams from Illinois do you guys think will be the most successful? I'll throw in my $0.02 on Illinois teams some time in the future.
Well since nobody else seems to be jumping at the opportunity, I guess I will start this conversation with my thoughts. The general quality of Illinois will be down this year from last year due to the sheer ability of the teams that seem to have graduated most of their talent, such as Stevenson, Ignatius, OPRF, and Lisle. We should still have some strong teams next year, and I have broken my rankings of these teams into both tiers and numbers.

I think undoubtedly the #1 next year is Auburn. Lloyd is almost definitely the best player in the state and Abid is one of the best, if not the best, #2s in the state. They lose Saad, who got really good by the end of the year, but Filip returns and should finally be blossoming into the history player they need. I do not know who their fourth will be, but I think this trio alone is good enough to secure the top spot.

#2: I'm going to put IMSA here because I think the simple fact that they have four already pretty good people all working to get better and be a successful team, which is pretty hard to find. With their ability to all work together as a team, they can divide categories and really get a very high return on their studying and overall be very efficient which leads to success.
#3: Holy bobcats, Ben Chametzky. You absolutely tore that NSC set to threads. I think you've solidified yourself as a dynamite player and consequently earned Carbondale this spot in the year to come, especially with Srinivas backing you.
#4: So I hear that Loyola team has been pretty good at times in the past. For most of last season, I would've ranked us behind Auburn in this post but I think we declined close to the end of the year while these other teams were on the upswing and consequently we'll start out the season behind them next year. We're working to climb back close to the top, though. We retain myself, Marcel, Morgan from the A Team and pretty much our entire B Team, so hopefully we can capitalize.

#5: New Trier is led by a strong player in Andrew Wang, and although I don't believe he will be getting very much support from his teammates as I have not seen that truly occur from them in the past, they'll still be strong off of his playing ability. Although he seems very streaky to me, when he gets on a good streak he can be devastating.
#6: Latin has a really good player in Alex Kling, and he's shown he's committed to improving and should consequently be able to lead a team.

That's all I really feel like ranking at this point, but I'll also include some teams that I think will be threats in the future:

Macomb - Despite being really, really, really, really, really far away, Tristan Willey wants to get involved in the good quizbowl circuit and has already gotten pretty good at quizbowl. He's probably the best rising junior in the state and he was able to coerce somebody else into coming to ACE Camp with him, and they generally seemed enthusiastic as well.
Closely behind Tristan, I would put Dylan Minarik, who's leading a program that has a surprisingly large amount of enthusiasm and sheer people as well as a good coach, Belvidere North. They should just increase in quality as the years go on.

I'd also like to mention Fenton, as Mr. Laudermith is an amazing coach and Blake Tutt really progressed last year. I have no idea what year he is, as last year I thought he was a Senior, but he showed up at ACE Camp this year indicating that he has not graduated, but they'll be fairly good too.

I'd love to hear other peoples' thoughts as well.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
sssssssskkkk
Lulu

Post by sssssssskkkk »

In an attempt to not offend anyone unnecessarily (as many posts by those from IMSA have), I will only give my outlook on my team, with no ranking.

IMSA: We return everyone on our A and "B" teams (although B team for us has a loose definition of Saieesh + Sabrina + whoever wants to play). I cover Chinese myth, Chinese geography, Chinese history, and Chinese literature, Eric covers all questions on Phillipines geography and history, Nolan gets all the Irish myth, questions about the Amazon river, chemistry, and Southeast Asia, and Adam will cover the team for negs, vulches, and Cambodian myth. Oh, and Dr. Prince gets all the noncomp math for us. I think that covers the whole distribution.
Webster Guan
California Institute of Technology (2012-)
Illinois Math and Science Academy (2009-12)
Writer, NAQT (2013-)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

I pretty much agree with what Nolan says; there's definitely a top tier of 4 right now, and each team returns almost all - if not all - of their firepower. The next tier of five teams are all seemingly driven by great solo players; if a school there can develop some additional talent (the way that Michael Swartz became a good science complement to Greg at Lisle the last couple years), they could make a push ahead of that pack.

I'll throw in reminders to watch...
*Champaign Centennial (I keep forgetting if Chris Olsen is returning or not; at various points this year, I was convinced he was both a junior and a senior. At any rate, Coach Garcia is developing a good program)
*Keith Country Day (Christofer is not returning, but a year of bringing many, many players to good tournaments, some solid coaching, and a determined middle school feeder program will hopefully pay off in the not-so-long run)
*Wauconda (first emerging on the scene late this year, they ended the season with ATROPHY and PACE; with a full year of good quizbowl to work with, who knows what they can do?)
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Chris Olsen and Blake Tutt will both be seniors.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches ... born in Evanston, born as the first of Vivaldi's concertos rises in 1994 ... and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not ... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives ... the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born in Evanston...
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

styxman wrote: *Champaign Centennial (I keep forgetting if Chris Olsen is returning or not; at various points this year, I was convinced he was both a junior and a senior. At any rate, Coach Garcia is developing a good program)
Oh yeah, I forgot about Chris Olsen despite playing being on the same team for like 3 nights at ACE. Sorry, bro! He is also very good and an absolute beast at geography and should be included in my post in the general area of "somewhere."
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
MissIrene
Lulu

Post by MissIrene »

*Wauconda (first emerging on the scene late this year, they ended the season with ATROPHY and PACE; with a full year of good quizbowl to work with, who knows what they can do?)[/quote]

Thanks for the mention- I'm happy to say I sent three top team members to ACE camp this summer, so I look forward to our continued growth!
Irene Ducharme
"Miss Irene"
Wauconda High School
Scholastic Bowl Coach
Harpie's Feather Duster

Yeah, Chris Olson is a beast at Geography and I can definitely see Centennial being a threat next year.

Powerful duos seem to be pretty common among the top teams. Lloyd has Abid, Ben has Srinivas, and Nolan has Marcel. I'm really not sure which of these three teams will be the best. I also can't leave IMSA out of the equation. They're returning all of a very balanced team and definitely have a great chance of repeating IHSA State.

With Stevenson rebuilding, I have Buffalo Grove as my favorite to win their sectional. Bernard and Matt both impressed me at camp, and they both seem to be pretty good at comp math as well.

Without Lisle, Mabomb, Latin, and Greenville, who will be left to compete in class A? I'm not familiar with class A teams myself, but it'll sure be interesting to see what happens with more teams moved up.

And now, my personal rankings, with a few quips.

1. Auburn
2. IMSA
3. Loyola
4. Carbondale
5. Latin-Ranked above New Trier simply because Alex seems to be more consistent than Andrew. Coming from personal experience, Latin has cleaned our clock a lot harder than New Trier has last year, and New Trier loses their second best player, DJ, I believe.
6. New Trier-Andrew is really good, but like I said earlier, he seems prone to negstorming. I'm also interested to see if a new coach affects this team at all.
7/8. Belvidere North/Macomb- Ugh, I'm not really sure who to place higher here. On one hand, we've beaten Macomb in our single meeting last year at ATROPHY. However, it was a really close match, and Tristan is improving really quickly. I know nothing about his supporting cast and a lot about mine, so I can't really judge this. I'd say we're pretty close to even.
9. Buffalo Grove
10. Fenton

And yeah, Wauconda is definitely worth a mention. They have potential to be a top notch team some day.

Some time later I'll probably talk a bit about my own team, but I think for now this is enough.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

Cubfan125
Lulu

Post by Cubfan125 »

Did not realize that Chris went to Centennial. Now I'm scared of playing them. Anyway, here's my thoughts.

I can't bring myself to rank teams straight up, because some are so close that it doesn't seem fair to rank one above the other. So with that being said, here are what I see as the main groupings of teams:

1: Imsa and Auburn. Not much else to say here.

2: Loyola and Carbondale. Maybe I'd place Carbondale slightly ahead, but I think Nolan's not giving himself and his own team enough credit. They're both great teams.

3: New Trier, Macomb, and Latin. I agree with everything that's been said so far about Andrew Wang. He can easily go on a run of first lining question after question, and, having been on the opposite side of one of his runs many times, he can totally take over a game. He can also neg himself out of a game. That being said, if he gets more consistent, they could get a lot better fast. I also don't think people have been giving Tristan enough credit; he seemed great at ACE, and if Macomb make it up for some Chicago tournaments, they could be a serious threat for an upset. With regards to my own team, I feel like we've got a lot of room to grow. I talked to my friends on the team who told me they'd be studying over the summer, some more than others, but if all goes well we'll have a much more well-rounded team for next year. That being said, all has to go well, and I'll find out in August when everyone's back in Chicago whether that's the case.

4: Buffalo Grove and Belvidere North. Matt and Bernard both seem like they're working really hard, so by the time next year rolls around I could see them being a lot better than anyone expects. Actually the same goes for Dylan (and the rest of Belvidere North for that matter)

Fenton's also a good team, as Centennial must be if they have Chris, though I can't really say anything about them as I've never played them.
Alex Kling
Latin School of Chicago class of 2012
Williams College class of 2016
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

For people who weren't at ACE camp, what as-of-yet unmentioned teams sent students to U of I last week? Wauconda and BG both deserve mention in the upper tiers of play, given their ACE participation -- who else?
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Harpie's Feather Duster

Cumberland High School sent 3 kids. Winnebago sent one and there have to be a few more Illinois kids that went.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Fremd had >0.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Harpie's Feather Duster

I think Bradley-Bourbonnais sent a few as well.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

That one Ashok? Asoka? kid from like 5 years ago back before good quizbowl happened's brother was there too, so IIRC and he went to WWS, then they sent at least 1.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

styxman wrote:Wauconda and BG both deserve mention in the upper tiers of play, given their ACE participation
Because going to ACE camp = good at quizbowl.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:Because going to ACE camp = good at quizbowl.
Hey, man, I got second at ACE Camp's Wild Man tournament behind Greg Peacock, and as we all know, there was no one at that camp who was superior to me as a player, especially in the present.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:
styxman wrote:Wauconda and BG both deserve mention in the upper tiers of play, given their ACE participation
Because going to ACE camp = good at quizbowl.
Going to ACE camp indicates at least a minimal interest in quizbowl, coupled with at least a few days of a relative glut of quizbowl activity (compared to what non-ACE campers are likely doing that week).

Here's the way I see it; in Illinois next year, if you go to every good tournament for the entire year and pay at least epsilon attention to the one Big 3 category you like best, you'll osmosis yourself into a player good enough to beat 95% of the teams in the state playing solo. Anything more than minimal work, and by the time you reach 8-10 tournaments, you'll be making top 20 at larger tourneys like New Trier Varsity and top 10 at smaller tourneys like Huskie Bowl. Look at the tiered list of teams above - thanks to the expected deaths of St. Ignatius and OPRF and the expected downturns at Stevenson and Lisle, there isn't a high quantity of schools expected to be "good." The schools that will be good will be as good as you'd think - Auburn, IMSA, Loyola, Carbondale competing for high nats finishes, the next few teams down on the list being playoff-competitive at nats - but we don't know yet what's going to fill the hole in the "teams that work to play well at lots of tournaments and, with a summer/fall of study, can hopefully improve up into the attending-nationals picture" tier, and sending players to ACE camp is exactly what you want out of such teams in June.

Or another way -- if a team that does not have a circuit-active coach or any circuit-active players doesn't send anybody to ACE camp, do you expect them to be better in June than teams like Wauconda or Buffalo Grove?
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

Secretary of Bobcats wrote:That one Ashok? Asoka? kid from like 5 years ago back before good quizbowl happened's brother was there too, so IIRC and he went to WWS, then they sent at least 1.
Yeah Ashok's brother does go to WWS and knowing WWS should be fairly good next year.

Prediction wise, everyone has pretty much said what I've thought about IL teams next year. Auburn and IMSA are probably the top two IMO and Carbondale and Loyola are 3 and 4. NT, Latin, Macomb, BG and Belvidere North should all be decent next year.

Anyone heard of any really good freshman or sophomores that may be under the radar this year?
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
Cubfan125
Lulu

Post by Cubfan125 »

Peoria Christian sent at least 2 people to ACE
Alex Kling
Latin School of Chicago class of 2012
Williams College class of 2016
Harpie's Feather Duster

Edward Elric wrote:
Secretary of Bobcats wrote:That one Ashok? Asoka? kid from like 5 years ago back before good quizbowl happened's brother was there too, so IIRC and he went to WWS, then they sent at least 1.
Yeah Ashok's brother does go to WWS and knowing WWS should be fairly good next year.

Prediction wise, everyone has pretty much said what I've thought about IL teams next year. Auburn and IMSA are probably the top two IMO and Carbondale and Loyola are 3 and 4. NT, Latin, Macomb, BG and Belvidere North should all be decent next year.

Anyone heard of any really good freshman or sophomores that may be under the radar this year?
I think Abid's little brother is a freshman next year, but idk how good he'll be. We have a sophomore who starts for us who can get some decent science buzzes every once and a while, and with his first year of ACE camp, he should really start to grow. Especially since our team as a whole is like 85% Juniors...
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Look, I'm not saying these teams can't use ACE camp for good purposes as one of a number of tools to improve at quizbowl. I'm saying you framing it as if regarding a team's ability should be predicated on attending ACE camp is not getting it - Owensville and Poplar Bluff used to send players to ACE camp when it was at SEMO, and when did you ever hear of them? If you're a team that can become serious, then sure, going to ACE camp may impact your abilities, but there have been a billion people that have gone to ACE camp in the past, even from decent teams like NKC, and then disappeared into the netherworld of quizbowl mediocrity and never looked back. The only thing that should affect whether Wauconda or Buffalo Grove or all of these other random teams are major players on the Illinois circuit next year is if they show up to a lot of tournaments and win a lot of games at them. ACE camp can help that, but it's no guarantee.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

King of Carrot Flowers wrote: I think Abid's little brother is a freshman next year, but idk how good he'll be.
This is correct. But, yeah, I don't know either. I'm pretty sure he's playing though.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Charles Martel
Wakka

Post by Charles Martel »

Without much comment, since people don't seem to like it much when I include comments with my rankings,
1. Auburn
2. IMSA
3. Carbondale
4. Loyola
5. New Trier
6. Belvidere North
7. Stevenson---For three reasons. 1. They play a lot on the quizbowl circuit. 2. They have had a good coach who will help his players to improve. 3. They have players who have been playing with other good players, and either have picked up knowledge already, or know what they need to learn to be good.
8. Latin
9. Buffalo Grove
10. Macomb---Why so low? Because their coach won't take them to quizbowl tournaments so Tristan can improve.
Last edited by Charles Martel on Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Kalinich
MIT 2012-
Illinois Math and Science Academy 2009-2012
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

whitesoxfan wrote:7. Stevenson---For three reasons. 1. They play a lot on the quizbowl circuit. 2. They have a good coach who will help his players to improve. 3. They have players who have been playing with other good players, and either have picked up knowledge already, or know what they need to learn to be good.
I'm somewhat pessimistic on Stevenson 2011-12.

1. Unless Malis and Savin's younger brothers continue the tradition of playing rogue when the team won't come along, this probably won't happen, because...
2. Not anymore, they don't. Coach Fitzgerald retired, and the fight for institutional memory is probably embodied in the Ultima/Fremd debate rather than Kevin going to tournaments on his own.
3. Not really; I guess Malis and Savin might have osmosis'ed it over at the dinner table, but it seemed like Coach Fitz maintained one of the old bastions of old-coachiness: the fresh-soph/varsity divide. I don't remember seeing any younger players playing varsity tournaments last year, and it's reasonable to expect that they didn't practice with the varsity either.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but...yeah.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

I will not rank, but I'll offer my two cents on some teams:

Auburn - Auburn will obviously be great again, as they are Illinois's premier quizbowl program. After losing Zahed last year, they came back and didn't miss a beat this year. I expect the same of their loss of Saad. I hope to see them on the circuit a lot next year, and hopefully IMSA will finally beat them.

IMSA - We're pretty good. We're getting better.

Carbondale - I think everyone is failing to realize how good Carbondale is. It seems they are the most improved team I've seen since, say, March. Chametzky was a top scorer at PACE, has been competitive playing solo, and when you add in Srinivas their PPB is as high as any team's in Illinois. If they continue to improve at this rate, I would not be the least bit surprised to see them in the top ten at nationals.

Loyola - The biggest question here is what kind of support NolanW will get. He's good enough to keep Loyola close against almost any team, but he needs some contributions from teammates to lock up the wins. This year he got some impressive powers out of the 3rd and 4th spots, so people should not think of Loyola as the Nolan and Marcel show. I'm not sure who is returning for them, though.

Macomb - Everyone is definitely underestimating them. Sure, they got 9th/14 at ATROPHY, but THAT WAS A SOPHOMORE PLAYING SOLO! He beat Auburn S, embarrassed Greg-less Lisle and Wauconda, and, in what I would consider his best win, beat the scab team which contained IMSA's Saieesh and Sabrina. The only reason to doubt the team is that they do not see tough competition enough, and from what I understand this is not the players' choice. Quizbowl should do itself a favor and reach out to their coach to come up to Chicago more often. After all, now that Macomb is Class AA, their coach will have to get more serious in order to continue to win. If they are in the Peoria sectional, I would still expect to see them at the state tournaments.

New Trier - I have nothing to add on this team.

Stevenson - Adam: everything you said is false. They changed coaches. There are no guarantees. However, I hope they remain good enough to be the anchor for good quizbowl in the northern suburbs.

Champaign Centennial - I only got to see them play at IMSANITY this year, and they were undefeated going into the final game against Glenwood, which they lost by one question. (For the record, there was an advantaged final, but the teams elected to play a one-game final to get home sooner.) I'd really love to see them in Chicago more next year, and I fully expect them to dominate the central Illinois circuit.

The top ten will be rounded out by whichever teams decide to play lots of quizbowl and learn things. Sure, Latin, Belvidere North, and Buffalo Grove are good predictions, but honestly a team like Naperville Central, Wheaton-Warrenville South, or Maine South could easily decide to get good enough to be in consideration here.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

TheTeen
Lulu

Post by TheTeen »

Well to start up some class A discussion, I'd like to throw in my former high school, Litchfield. Without Macomb and Latin, who were undoubtedly the biggest threats of Class A, Litchfield does seem to stand a chance at this year's State Series. Last year, they managed to put up some points the two times they played Lisle, with an Evan and Peter lacking team, and a majority of these points came from a freshmen, David York. However I've heard rumors of coaching issues at the school at that Coach Scobbie (who has been with the team since Litchfield has had Scholastic Bowl) may not be coaching the team. These are just rumors, though.

I do expect also to see, if they remain in Class A, good showings for PORTA as they seem to be a consistently good team.

Other than those two, I am really beat on Class A.
Michael Shade
Litchfield High School
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

TheTeen wrote:However I've heard rumors of coaching issues at the school at that Coach Scobbie (who has been with the team since Litchfield has had Scholastic Bowl) may not be coaching the team. These are just rumors, though.
Coach Scobbie has in fact retired.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Harpie's Feather Duster

TheTeen wrote:Well to start up some class A discussion, I'd like to throw in my former high school, Litchfield. Without Macomb and Latin, who were undoubtedly the biggest threats of Class A, Litchfield does seem to stand a chance at this year's State Series. Last year, they managed to put up some points the two times they played Lisle, with an Evan and Peter lacking team, and a majority of these points came from a freshmen, David York. However I've heard rumors of coaching issues at the school at that Coach Scobbie (who has been with the team since Litchfield has had Scholastic Bowl) may not be coaching the team. These are just rumors, though.

I do expect also to see, if they remain in Class A, good showings for PORTA as they seem to be a consistently good team.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe PORTA loses their strongest player (Justin)? But yeah, Litchfield is looking like quite a Class A power if what you say is true.

EDIT: Dr. Prince: Other than Nolan and Marcel, I think Loyola returns Morgan, who's a junior.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

No Electricity Required
Wakka

Post by No Electricity Required »

King of Carrot Flowers wrote:
TheTeen wrote:Well to start up some class A discussion, I'd like to throw in my former high school, Litchfield. Without Macomb and Latin, who were undoubtedly the biggest threats of Class A, Litchfield does seem to stand a chance at this year's State Series. Last year, they managed to put up some points the two times they played Lisle, with an Evan and Peter lacking team, and a majority of these points came from a freshmen, David York. However I've heard rumors of coaching issues at the school at that Coach Scobbie (who has been with the team since Litchfield has had Scholastic Bowl) may not be coaching the team. These are just rumors, though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe PORTA loses their strongest player (Justin)? But yeah, Litchfield is looking like quite a Class A power if what you say is true.
Litchfield will almost certainly dominate among class A schools. Peter was already a good player last year and will most likely get better, regardless of the coaching situation. PORTA will no longer have Justin, but I can't see any other teams (other than maybe New Berlin) being particularly strong in comparison to the rest of what's left of the class (at least from what I've seen and by looking at history).
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

I expect this player to start immediately for Barrington High School's varsity team.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Moving Day wrote:I expect this player to start immediately for Barrington High School's varsity team.
Do you expect Barrington's coach to take them to tournaments this year, though?
mrgsmath
Wakka

Post by mrgsmath »

I would agree that Litchfield is right now the favorite, but Keith Country Day has put together a pretty good program in a short time period. Speaking for the downstate schools which I follow, New Berlin could be a contender if they decide to continue. They played very well in the League last year, but the J/V team didn't like playing tournaments and passed on several opportunities to compete. Peoria Christian is poised to be good as well as Peoria Heights, both are returning quality young players and PC sent a couple to ACE camp. PORTA did lose Justin, and a key Senior is off to Oklahoma. We will play respectable and the team always works hard, and it should be noted, last year Justin was always better when he played with the junior supporting cast.
Mark Grant
Coach - PORTA H.S.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got ."
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

ACF Fall 2011 is at Northern Illinois University!

I hope to see many, many high schools in attendance!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Harpie's Feather Duster

:D

*bothers coach about attending*
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

the return of AHAN
Auron

In what I'd have to characterize as an upset, the IESA has decided to name Illinois-based Slammer Systems, Inc. as the new official buzzer system of the IESA, ending their affiliation with Zeecraft for the first time ever.
In other news, Barrington High School had over 20 kids show up at their first scholastic bowl meeting today. Now let's see what the count is when we're NOT offering free pizza...
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Moving Day wrote: Illinois-based Slammer Systems, Inc. is the new official buzzer system of the IESA
And Barrington is ALREADY winning on their buzzer systems!
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
the return of AHAN
Auron

John Taylor (Master of the Rolls) wrote:
Moving Day wrote: Illinois-based Slammer Systems, Inc. is the new official buzzer system of the IESA
And Barrington is ALREADY winning on their buzzer systems!
LOL! I just noticed that pic! We've never played Metamora, let alone beat them, but I appreciate the vote of confidence from Slammer... In the meantime, we clearly must improve our imaginary bonus conversion... :wink:
Jeff Price
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Well, there were some people inquiring about mirroring IMSANITY in Chicagoland, but those have all fallen through. If there is interest, we can continue to look for more. However, IMSA is not interested in trying to run two sites on the same day again, and so anyone wanting to run it would need to be either self-sufficient or run on a date other than January 14 (February 4 seems to be the only other option).

So, is anyone interested in (a) playing or (b) running it?
Dr. Noah Prince

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)

Coach G
Lulu

Post by Coach G »

Since it looks like Belvidere North is no longer hosting a tournament on Feb. 4, Auburn would like to take that date to host a varsity tournament, not yet named. It is being housewritten by our seniors, mainly Lloyd and Abid, with some help from alumni.
Linda J. Greene
Rockford Auburn Coach
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Alright, then February 11 is the only open date left.
Dr. Noah Prince

mr_basque
Lulu

Post by mr_basque »

I'm not sure where it started that we aren't hosting on Feb. 4th, but we were still planning on it.
John B.
ACE staff member
Harpie's Feather Duster

That was at least partially (read: probably completely) my fault since when I posted that we were mirroring DAFT on December 10th, I was under the impression that you did not plan on hosting on February 4th anymore. You told me the opposite like a day later.

I await my verbal thrashing at practice tomorrow.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

A reminder: if you're interested in joining the IHSSBCA Members' Poll, you must email me. Polling is open to any and all IHSSBCA members; if you're not a member, join today! The first polling will take place soon.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Harpie's Feather Duster

Will the results be posted here?
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

King of Carrot Flowers wrote:Will the results be posted here?
That is an excellent question.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

They can be.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Leucippe and Clitophon wrote:They can be.
But I probably won't post them right away. After all, there's got to be some sort of reward for being a member and in the poll :grin:

/join the poll, everyone
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

So uh, Auburn's freshmen/sophomores went to the Moline F/S tournament today. I don't know much, but from what my little brother and other players tell me, the questions were "atrocious" (although this doesn't really surprise me, I guess) and they notably played just four games, going 2-2, at which point they were eliminated.

I don't really know anything else.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Yeah, I drove out to basically Iowa two years ago for a F/S tourney only to learn that there were only 3 guaranteed matches, followed by a 3-round single-elimination playoff.

Stuff happened. Long story short, I'm not welcome back.
Dr. Noah Prince