NY/NJ 2010-2011

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Edward Powers
Auron

NY/NJ 2010-2011

Post by Edward Powers »

With the 2009-2010 season now behind us, and with all 5 NJ schools that went to the HSNCT acquitting themselves reasonably well, anyone from NJ care to speculate about next year?

My guess is that SHP, with what I think was an all Junior squad this year, will be the early season favorite. Beyond that I do not know---I think Bergen, Livingston and my own squad were top-heavy with seniors, so all will probably have to rebuild. Ranney meanwhile had a Freshman---Roey?---who made the Frosh All Star team at HSNCT, scoring over 40ppg, I believe, so Ranney might have a talented squad for the the foreseeable future. Of course Milllburn, East Brunswick and High Tech can always be dangerous, as can Delbarton & Pingry. But it seems like SHP will be the cream of the crop at the start of next season; the question is, who will rise up and challenge them?

Meanwhile, across the Hudson, Hunter returns its juggernaut---and all it starters will still only be Juniors, so it will be a major player on the National stage for sure, and as long as Kellenberg can give Nik some support, it too will be a very dangerous team.

Anyone else care to share?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill
Rikku

Re: NY/NJ 2010-2011

Post by Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill »

Without The Challenge getting in the way of actual practice, Kings Park definitely has the potential. Smithtown East still has their powerhouse; not sure if they'll be able to back him though, and they don't go to many events anyway. Great Neck South has some decent players too.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
University of Victoria '18
Anonymous wrote:naqt is much worse than plagiarism could ever hope to be
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I just noticed in your signature that you are going to Stony Brook... Are you attempting to start a team there? I know a few Ward Melville people that might be interested in joining if you are. Send me a message if you want their contact info.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

rpond wrote:Without The Challenge getting in the way of actual practice, Kings Park definitely has the potential. Smithtown East still has their powerhouse; not sure if they'll be able to back him though, and they don't go to many events anyway. Great Neck South has some decent players too.
Is the Challenge officially dead? I tried to get to their website a few weeks ago without success, but I'm somewhat surprised that they would cancel the whole thing all of a sudden. If it's gone, I guess that means our school has gone from 3 academic competition clubs to 1 in the course of a single summer (our AcDec team folded).
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Edward Powers wrote:Ranney meanwhile had a Freshman---Roey?---who made the Frosh All Star team at HSNCT, scoring over 40ppg, I believe, so Ranney might have a talented squad for the the foreseeable future.
I remember reading for this team at our fall tournament last year, and although it was on an A-set, they were very impressive for a very young team (they played Bergen fairly tight). Ranney could definitely make some noise.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

"I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities. But I've forgotten what it is. I have it written down at home somewhere." - David Byrne
Rikku

jonpin wrote:
rpond wrote:Without The Challenge getting in the way of actual practice, Kings Park definitely has the potential. Smithtown East still has their powerhouse; not sure if they'll be able to back him though, and they don't go to many events anyway. Great Neck South has some decent players too.
Is the Challenge officially dead? I tried to get to their website a few weeks ago without success, but I'm somewhat surprised that they would cancel the whole thing all of a sudden. If it's gone, I guess that means our school has gone from 3 academic competition clubs to 1 in the course of a single summer (our AcDec team folded).
I was referring to how KP didn't get chosen for the next season. I have no idea what's going on with The Challenge, although the logo change on the Facebook page seems to suggest something happening.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Mastaloo,

Thanks for your comments. I too read for Ranney last year and I was also impressed, especially when I learned how young they were.

I see you are going to be a Blue Hen. If memory serves, so is Trey from CR. Might the two of you play at the collegiate level and help make UD a dangerous team on the collegiate circuit? You and Trey together could make for a formidable core to an excellent team, don't ya think?

And, what news, if any, of Coach Tressler?

Curious here in Jersey.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Trey and I are certainly going to join the team and see where it goes from there. Practices haven't started yet, but once they begin we'll have a better idea of the future.

The last I heard from Tressler, he was about to move out to AC but decided not to. You'd have to ask him for more info.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

"I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities. But I've forgotten what it is. I have it written down at home somewhere." - David Byrne
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Good luck with your efforts to join and help the UD quizbowl program. With any luck, my guess is that in time you'll certainly have a competitive team with you and Trey alone, and if UD already has some good players, the addition of the 2 of you will make UD even more formidable. So, I wish you well with your efforts.

As for Coach Tressler, I thought you might know more since you were a member of his program for several years at least. Naturally, I wish him well, but I would not know how to get in touch with him.

But if he is really gone from Charter, what is your assessment, if any, of the future of the Charter program? I'm not trying to be nosey---I'm just curious about one of the flagship programs of the last 3 or 4 years---one you yourself had a hand in building. My hope of course is that Charter can maintain its standards of excellence and remain a force on the quizbowl scene, while also hoping that Coach Tressler gets back into coaching ASAP, assuming he wishes to do so.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

There is Hunter.

Then there are the other teams in this region.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)

Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Sad---for the rest of us, of course. But also true.

And great news for the Hunter juggernaut, which seems poised to make a very deep run at Nationals this year.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Shutouts in finals of good tournaments are things that Hunter may be capable of doing more than once this year. Wow.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:Shutouts in finals of good tournaments are things that Hunter may be capable of doing more than once this year. Wow.
I wouldn't count on it. As incredibly impressive as they are, let's take a look at some stats and violently abuse some probability. Through 9 games of the Princeton tournament, Hunter's line was 70-68-23. They negged 23 out of 180 questions (12.8%). The probability of just not negging 20 random questions is then .872^20 = .065 (1 in 15), which is certainly doable. But the probability of 20 correct answers on 20 random questions is [(70+68)/180]^20 = 2.28841978e-13 (1 in 4,000,000,000,000) [EDIT TO CORRECT: See below; I made a calculation mistake because I am dumb.]. Note here that I am assuming that the opposition (a) doesn't buzz at all, but (b) is competent enough that Hunter buzzes as usual. The more I think about this the more insane it gets.
Last edited by jonpin on Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Pinyan

AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

jonpin wrote: Note here that I am assuming that the opposition (a) doesn't buzz at all, but (b) is competent enough that Hunter buzzes as usual. The more I think about this the more insane it gets.
Assumption (a) isn't correct, because Hunter didn't put up its stat line against empty chairs, it put up those numbers against a sample of teams.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Also the other team can get a tossup or two and still be shut out if they neg enough.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

I do take back part of my post then, as I was interpreting Andrew's comment not as "shutout" but as "20-for-20". To address William, that's not much of a problem, because clearly letting the opposition buzz in makes a perfect game even less likely, and (in general) your opponent in a final is more difficult than the collected opponents you have played so far. So (a) was basically a shorthand way of saying "Hunter correctly answered about 3/4 of their tossups all day. They are unlikely to have a better chance of answering a random tossup against the kind of opponent they'd meet in a final."

EDIT TO CORRECT: Wow I totally bombed that calculation, and 1-in-4-trillion is the probability that they DON'T get 20 tossups in a row (as I should have guessed, as 20 coin flips would be 1-in-a-million).
If their probability of getting any one tossup right is 138/180, their chance of getting 20 straight is 0.00492 = 1 in 203 ~ 0.5%.
Jon Pinyan

Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Hey,

So I would still love to have a NYC area mirror of BATE, the high school tournament I edited. As you may already know, this tournament is completely free to mirror. If interested, email me at [email protected]
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

This region could probably also use a Fall Novice mirror.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Necro-bump to post NYC/NJ prelim results at HSNCT:

St. Joseph 7-3, 26 seed
Kellenberg 7-3, 32 seed
Bergen 6-4, 54 seed
Seton Hall 6-4, 55 seed
Great Neck South 6-4, 56 seed
Livingston 6-4, 68 seed
Stuyvesant 6-4, 80 seed
Ranney, Bergen-B, and Livingston-B all 5-5
St Peter and Kellenberg-B both 3-7
Jon Pinyan

Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Hey--I'm currently in the process of collecting contact info for NY/NJ teams, some of whom are in the actually NYC area. In particular, I'm interested in starting up a viable circuit of schools in the NYC area: so many schools are so densely packed that there's no reason that there isn't a tournament available at least every few weekends, and eventually more. I currently have contact information for 62 teams and three people important in regional competitive academic activities (the NYC math team coach, the regional science bowl TD, and someone who runs a Long Island-specific tournament). I really want to work on more. If anyone has any friends or family at NYC region schools, or can give me insight into who's most likely to be receptive to a snail mail campaign, let me know.
Andrew Watkins
WSchneider
Lulu

Post by WSchneider »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote: someone who runs a Long Island-specific tournament
Is this person in any way related to the Regional Quizbowl organization?
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

WSchneider wrote:
Crazy Andy Watkins wrote: someone who runs a Long Island-specific tournament
Is this person in any way related to the Regional Quizbowl organization?
Sure is. I don't know anything about the competition, but I'll get as much contact info as I can from her.
Andrew Watkins
WSchneider
Lulu

Post by WSchneider »

Please, for the love of god, good quizbowl, and the hair of my (former) teammates... Encourage her to use pyramidal questions... I can't tell you how many times I've felt the urge to chokeslam her questions for their blatant writing and formatting issues
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
Rikku

WSchneider wrote:Please, for the love of god, good quizbowl, and the hair of my (former) teammates... Encourage her to use pyramidal questions... I can't tell you how many times I've felt the urge to chokeslam her questions for their blatant writing and formatting issues
This seems so unlikely that it's laughable given what you've told me about her.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

rpond wrote:
WSchneider wrote:Please, for the love of god, good quizbowl, and the hair of my (former) teammates... Encourage her to use pyramidal questions... I can't tell you how many times I've felt the urge to chokeslam her questions for their blatant writing and formatting issues
This seems so unlikely that it's laughable given what you've told me about her.
Unfortunate that she's one of them. I'll approach with caution; maybe I'll be able to establish a rapport somehow.
Andrew Watkins