4/23/05 - Rumble on the Pike - Richard Montgomery

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
trial and error
Lulu

4/23/05 - Rumble on the Pike - Richard Montgomery

Post by trial and error »

Mark your calendars or memorize this date! Richard Montgomery High School will be hosting our second annual Rumble on the Pike on April 23, 2005.

We would like a more geographically diverse field this year, so if any far-flung teams would like to test themselves against the best of the Mid-Atlantic before nationals, Rockville is only half an hour outside Washington, D.C. Check out our site for details from last year's playoffs, which included Thomas Jefferson, Blake, Montgomery Blair, Eleanor Roosevelt, Walter Johnson, and Edmund Burke, among others.

Packets will consist of five categories of five tossups each, followed by ten longer tossups with unrelated bonuses. All tossups are pyramidal and are house-written. See our site for sample packets from last year's tournament.

Registration is $50 for the first team and $45 each for any subsequent teams, with $10 off for each fully functional buzzer system.

-Sharon Wong
Tournament Director
Even the simplist task can be done rong.
trial and error
Lulu

This is what the field looks like so far:

Blake*
Blair* (2 or 3?)
Centennial (3)
Eleanor Roosevelt*
Georgetown Day School
Gonzaga*
Hammond (2)
Hayfield
Paint Branch
Quince Orchard
Reservoir
Spotswood (2)
Thomas Jefferson* (4)
Walt Whitman (2)
Walter Johnson (2)

* Teams that have given informal indication that they plan to attend.
trial and error
Lulu

Edited to note playoffs format.

We currently have 30 teams registered. Teams that still wish to register are encouraged to send in an email ([email protected]), but we wish to work with field sizes of even numbers, preferably in multiples of 5 or 6.

The tournament will include five preliminary games. Playoffs will be done with power brackets. Lunch break will be 1.5 hours—we are offering a free house-written trash round (20 questions tossup/bonus).

We expect the tournament to end no later than 5 p.m. to allow players and coaches to get home in time for Passover.

T-7 days field update:

Bethesda-Chevy Chase
Blair (2)
Blake
Centennial (3)
Churchill
Eleanor Roosevelt
Georgetown Day School
Gonzaga
Hammond (2)
Hayfield
Howard
Northeast
Paint Branch
Quince Orchard
Reservoir
Spotswood
School Without Walls
Thomas Jefferson (5)
Watkins Mill
Walt Whitman (2)
Walter Johnson (2)

edited again to note that WJ has registered two teams.
bigmac
Lulu

RM playoff format

Post by bigmac »

3 more teams have signed up. We would be fine with one more, but cannot take more than 3 due to some room use limitations. The field, while not enormous, looks quite impressive; good teams that get mentioned on this board make up well over half. (Not that this relates in any way to our format, but 8 of the 9 It's Academic semi-finalists will be represented on Saturday. . . when will Holton come out to an invitational, I wonder?)

The playoff structure was created with three ideas in mind in addition to having a fair result.
1) Teams, especially those coming from out of the region, would like to play more than two or three competitive matches in a day.
2) Teams would prefer not to face the same team twice in the same day.
3) Teams would like to leave by 5, especially right before Passover.

The prelims will consist of 4 games of bracketed play plus one "cross-bracket" game. Our intention is that this extra game will provide for more highly competitive matches than sometimes exist in straight brackets, but still give teams 5 matches against opponents with varying experience.

The top 2 teams from each bracket advance to the playoffs along with 4 wildcards (16 total). Rather than play single-elimination, teams will be placed in 4 groups of 4 for a 3 game round-robin. The top team from each playoff bracket will then advance to a 4 team single-elimination playoff.

Points only matter for wildcard spots. Playoff positioning will be arranged based on wins and what prelim bracket the team was in (to avoid repeat games). Ties in the playoff brackets will be broken by 10 tossup tie-breaker matches. If three teams tie for the top spot, which would be pretty sweet, then the top team based on points will play the winner of the match between the other two in a second tie-breaker match.

Put simply, if you make it to the playoffs, your team will play at least 8 games, not to mention what I call an all-trash exhibition game that, frankly, I would rather know as little about as possible.

Yes, I know, this is pretty hard to follow. Just think of the playoffs as a mix between a regular 16 team playoff and power-bracketing. Basically, we missed not going to any power-bracketed tournaments this year, but had to make sure everything was over at a reasonable time. Any questions? Ask me at the rules meeting at 8:30 on Saturday. There will be some refreshments provided. Directions are going to your coaches tomorrow.
RM coach
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

but 8 of the 9 It's Academic semi-finalists will be represented on Saturday
As I count it, only 7 of the 9 teams in the "It's Academic" semi-finals will be represented because National Cathedral School doesn't show up to non-televised tournaments either. Well anyways, the field seems to be extremely strong this year and my team looks forward to attending.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

Just exactly who are the nine semifinalists? I'm pretty sure TJ's one of them, but I can only infer the other eight. I don't think the thread on that is up to date....

EDIT: Thanks Bigtrain. I've been seriously out of the loop.
Last edited by No Sollositing On Premise on Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
bigtrain
Rikku

RE: It's Academic Semifinals

Post by bigtrain »

The other "It's Academic" games will be between the following teams:

Blake, Blair, National Cathedral School

Churchill, Thomas Jefferson, Walter Johnson

Richard Montgomery, Gonzaga, Edit: Sorry, St. Alban's beat Holton and is in the semis

Perhaps the It's Academic thread in the archives should be brought back
Last edited by bigtrain on Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
trial and error
Lulu

Actually, National Cathedral will be at this non-televised tournament.

Is RM being represented if we're hosting it? It's not like you will be playing against us.

Are tournaments called "It's Academic" in other parts of the country like our local TV show?
blazer06
Lulu

Post by blazer06 »

pardon my igorance, but whats a power bracket? i still dont exactly get how it works.
trial and error
Lulu

blazer06 wrote:whats a power bracket?
bigmac wrote:The top 2 teams from each bracket advance to the playoffs along with 4 wildcards (16 total). Rather than play single-elimination, teams will be placed in 4 groups of 4 for a 3 game round-robin. The top team from each playoff bracket will then advance to a 4 team single-elimination playoff.
Marcel Duchamp
Lulu

Re: RM playoff format

Post by Marcel Duchamp »

I can't read
Last edited by Marcel Duchamp on Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach Hommer, Coach Priestley Charter School
New Orleans, LA
dtaylor4
Auron

Re: RM playoff format

Post by dtaylor4 »

Marcel Duchamp wrote:If 2 or 3 teams have the same record after the round robin, then what?
bigmac wrote:Points only matter for wildcard spots. Playoff positioning will be arranged based on wins and what prelim bracket the team was in (to avoid repeat games). Ties in the playoff brackets will be broken by 10 tossup tie-breaker matches. If three teams tie for the top spot, which would be pretty sweet, then the top team based on points will play the winner of the match between the other two in a second tie-breaker match.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

To gloriously thread-jack my own team's tournament's thread, I believe holton was defeated by st. albans, who will be at the tournament. So counting us, that's everyone.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
benthorot
Lulu

Post by benthorot »

Yup. We at St. Albans defeated Holton-Arms in the second round, and we and National Cathedral will both be participating in the Rumble on the Pike.
Should be interesting because neither of us ever really play any non-televised tournaments. We normally just play one another over and over again.
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Any word on when to arrive? I can't find any info in my e-mails about registration times.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
benthorot
Lulu

Post by benthorot »

One more question that I should but don't know the answer to. How many people are on each team?
Marcel Duchamp
Lulu

Post by Marcel Duchamp »

benthorot wrote:One more question that I should but don't know the answer to. How many people are on each team?
Zach Hommer, Coach Priestley Charter School
New Orleans, LA
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Howard wrote:Any word on when to arrive? I can't find any info in my e-mails about registration times.
Received in e-mail. Registration 8:15 to 8:45. See you guys then.
John Gilbert
Ellicott City, MD

bigmac
Lulu

rumble and itsac

Post by bigmac »

Right you are, Howard. Donuts will be provided. :smile: The other thing to mention here is that you can form any team you want for the exhibition games (players vs. coaches, players with players from different teams, etc.)

Here are the D.C. It's Ac semi-finals listed according to the brackets provided by NBC4 . . .
WJ v. TJ v. Churchill
National Cathedral v. Blake v. Blair
RM v. St. Albans v. Gonzaga

. . . and, in order to keep this on-topic, all nine teams will, in some way, be represented on Saturday.
RM coach
crackerwithak
Lulu

Post by crackerwithak »

How will the trash game work? Is it one school versus another or will there be other teams formed? Do you get to choose your opponent?
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

It's done completely by single person sign ups. You can sign up as a team (whether you actually happen to be a team or not), or as a single player and get sorted.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
benthorot
Lulu

attire

Post by benthorot »

One last question (I think): What does one wear to this event?
trial and error
Lulu

What are you asking? Dress code? Costume suggestions? I believe nudity is illegal in Maryland, if that's what you mean.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Re: attire

Post by Captain Sinico »

benthorot wrote:One last question (I think): What does one wear to this event?
Clothes, shoes, and maybe a coat, if it's cold? Most tournaments don't care how you dress (c.f. college tournaments, which could do with dress codes, probably.)

MaS
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I feel that ALL tournaments need to have some sort of dress code, i.e. nothing sexually suggestive (which I have seen and know of coaches who encourage it) or overly disgusting.
iamsam
Lulu

Post by iamsam »

DaGeneral wrote:i.e. nothing sexually suggestive (which I have seen and know of coaches who encourage it) or overly disgusting.
Considering the fact that many of the people in quiz bowl are not the "prettiest" people on the planet, I think having something "sexually suggestive" pretty much covers "overly disgusting".
Carpe Cerevisi
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

DaGeneral wrote:I feel that ALL tournaments need to have some sort of dress code, i.e. nothing sexually suggestive (which I have seen and know of coaches who encourage it) or overly disgusting.
I have confidence that all the teams in the area attending Richard Montgomery's tournament have the ability to dress themselves appropriately. The most inapropriate thing I've heard of some one wearing to a tournament is military fatigue.
iamsam wrote:Considering the fact that many of the people in quiz bowl are not the "prettiest" people on the planet
Speak for yourself, I'm a sexy beast.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

bigtrain wrote:
DaGeneral wrote:I feel that ALL tournaments need to have some sort of dress code, i.e. nothing sexually suggestive (which I have seen and know of coaches who encourage it) or overly disgusting.
I have confidence that all the teams in the area attending Richard Montgomery's tournament have the ability to dress themselves appropriately. The most inapropriate thing I've heard of some one wearing to a tournament is military fatigue.
Are you talking the full uniform? I've worn the fatigue pants due to certain circumstances, but never the whole thing.
iamsam
Lulu

Post by iamsam »

Carpe Cerevisi
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Okay, maybe once.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Some preliminary results, I do not have stats of any sort. In order to get teams out in time for passover, we had to leave some stat entering undone in the playoffs. Further clarification can be posted later, should you desire.

1) Thomas Jefferson A
2) Thomas Jefferson B
3) Walter Johnson A
4) Spotswood
5t) Blair A
5t) Centennial A
5t) Centennial B
5t) Thomas Jefferson C
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

I'd like to publicly thank Richard Montgomery for running a well-organized and fun tournament with excellent questions for teams of all levels. Well done the whole way around.
John Gilbert
Ellicott City, MD

trial and error
Lulu

Congratulations to Thomas Jefferson for an A/B finals finish by 4:30 p.m. Playoff brackets and any other available stats will be posted shortly—this stat delay can be half-explained by some unusual circumstances (college visits, anyone?).

Thanks to all the parents, players, and student volunteers who helped keep the tournament running, as well as to those teams whose buzzer systems functioned as promised.

Constructive feedback on the tournament format and style are welcome. Feel free to send me an email if you prefer.

The questions are available for $25 or another tournament set.
benthorot
Lulu

Thanks

Post by benthorot »

Much thanks to Richard Montgomery for hosting a very solid tournament making our ("Cathedral Foundation") first tournament a great experience.
trial and error
Lulu