Michigan '10-'11

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mhayes
Rikku

Re: Michigan '10-'11

Post by mhayes »

BeachBowl wrote:
Cheynem wrote:When I return to Michigan in May for summer break, I plan on working with at least Kent City to prepare for HSNCT--I hope other regional teams like Chippewa Hills or White Cloud might come on board too.
If you want us to come aboard, you'll have to contact my coach because my dad won't drive us to practice because of "sexual predator activity" which apparently you are in qualification of. If you PM me your e-mail or something I could get him to talk to you.
????
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

Matt Weiner wrote:
BeachBowl wrote:
Cheynem wrote:When I return to Michigan in May for summer break, I plan on working with at least Kent City to prepare for HSNCT--I hope other regional teams like Chippewa Hills or White Cloud might come on board too.
If you want us to come aboard, you'll have to contact my coach because my dad won't drive us to practice because of "sexual predator activity" which apparently you are in qualification of. If you PM me your e-mail or something I could get him to talk to you.
What the hell is this post?
Your guess is as good as mine, might even be better.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

DarkMatter wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:
BeachBowl wrote:
What the hell is this post?
Your guess is as good as mine, might even be better.
Mike Cheyne's explanation seems about right to me.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

As we have been doing the last few years, the players at the University of Michigan will be hosting weekly practices in Ann Arbor during the summer. If you are interested, please email me at bryanbe AT umich DOT edu
Bryan Berend
Detroit Catholic Central '09
Michigan '13
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

itsthatoneguy wrote:As we have been doing the last few years, the players at the University of Michigan will be hosting weekly practices in Ann Arbor during the summer. If you are interested, please email me at bryanbe AT umich DOT edu
I recommend people do this. It's a lot of fun and it's a good way to shake off the cobwebs after not playing quiz bowl for a month or more.
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Detroit Catholic Central '12
Michigan State University '16
Harvard '17
ryandillon
Wakka

Post by ryandillon »

DrCongo wrote:
itsthatoneguy wrote:As we have been doing the last few years, the players at the University of Michigan will be hosting weekly practices in Ann Arbor during the summer. If you are interested, please email me at bryanbe AT umich DOT edu
I recommend people do this. It's a lot of fun and it's a good way to shake off the cobwebs after not playing quiz bowl for a month or more.
Yeah the DCC contingent will be there again.
Ryan Dillon

Detroit Catholic Central Class of 2011
University of Michigan Class of 2015
Buzz Buzzard
Lulu

Post by Buzz Buzzard »

DrCongo wrote:Now that the HSNCT field is filling up, some thoughts:

Does anybody know the plans of Okemos, U of D, and Troy? They've all qualified for Nationals but I don't know if those schools plan to go. I hope that U of D doesn't decide to go to NAC again. It's also great to see teams like Hillsdale and Kent City signed up for HSNCT.
Looking at the HSNCT field page at http://www.naqt.com/registration/field. ... nt_id=3351, that would be Hilldale, Oklahoma, which is entered, and not Hillsdale, Michigan.

Carson City-Crystal is in the field, as is Jackson Christian, who played a very close game with Okemos in the Quizbusters final (won't spoil the exact result for those who haven't watched it yet).

I suspect Okemos is not at the HSNCT because their high school commencement is on May 29 (this sunday).

A team representing Hillsdale Academy did take 2nd place in the C-D division of the "Degrow" State tournament.
Michael Knapp
Koan master
Alma College '95
Occasional HSNCT staffer
Lion81
Lulu

Post by Lion81 »

Does anyone know the graduation status of CC's teams?
Harsha Gotur
Novi High School
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

Yeah, we're graduating Ryan, Dave, Matt, and Chris from our A team and Connor T and Robert C from our B team. Who does Novi lose?

Also congratulations to Michigan teams as a whole at HSNCT this past weekend (Props to Sid for being named a Sophomore All Star). Having so many teams finish so well is a great sign for next year.
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Harvard '17
Windmill Tump
Wakka

Post by Windmill Tump »

DrCongo wrote: Also congratulations to Michigan teams as a whole at HSNCT this past weekend (Props to Sid for being named a Sophomore All Star). Having so many teams finish so well is a great sign for next year.
Thanks Bobby, and yeah congratulations to every Michigan team that was at HSNCT, especially both CC teams and Novi for their impressive finishes. By my count, we had five playoff teams, and one small school playoff team (Kent City!). By the way, good luck to you guys at NSC this weekend.

Also if any one cares, of the six people who played on our A team at some point this year, we lose three (Chris, Hannah, Sai) but return John, Sid Chand (who wasn't at HSNCT), and me.
Sid Dogra
Detroit Country Day School '13
Michigan '17
NYU '21
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

Thanks Sid
xpmath wrote:small school playoff team (Kent City!)
I was excited to see this too. My teammate and I read ten rounds for them at DCCAT and they had some good buzzes so it was cool to see them qualify. Hopefully their attendance at HSNCT helps signify more quiz bowl growth outside of Southeastern Detroit.
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Harvard '17
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Kent City (my old HS, if you're not aware) wasn't at HSNCT in 2010, but was there in 2009. I recommended the NSC to their coach, and I was really happy to see them going to tournaments outside of the weird West Michigan circuit and Quizbusters. They return a few of their better players, so hopefully they're back at various nationals next year.

When I attended one of their practices, I was struck by how a team with obvious energy and enthusiasm was unaware of resources that to us seem almost second nature (the forums, the packet archive, other tournaments). I wonder if NAQT or HSAPQ or whoever could think of producing a quick and simple guide to good quizbowl resources that could easily be e-mailed or distributed to coaches/teams.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Lion81
Lulu

Post by Lion81 »

DrCongo wrote:Yeah, we're graduating Ryan, Dave, Matt, and Chris from our A team and Connor T and Robert C from our B team. Who does Novi lose?

Also congratulations to Michigan teams as a whole at HSNCT this past weekend (Props to Sid for being named a Sophomore All Star). Having so many teams finish so well is a great sign for next year.
Our entire A team is all seniors. We lose a couple seniors from our B team, but Aaron is a junior, and he should be very good next year if he keeps improving. Overall, I think our B team is going to be significantly better than this year and hopefully we can get some underclassmen on Varsity. I'm honestly extremely impressed with DCC's ability to reload every year. I thought you guys were gonna take a step back after this year, but with Bobby and Jimmy returning (and i'm sure more people i'm less familiar with), it doesnt sound like it. Its going to be fun watching CC and DCD duke it out against each other next year. Who knows, maybe our A team will finally be able to steal one from one of you guys.

Totally agree on the performance of Michigan QB at Nats. I honestly didn't realize that so many teams from Michigan were going. Also props to CC for finishing strong every single fricking year (have you ever not made top 20?!), especially CC B. I can't believe how much better you guys got through out the year, culminating in a win over Northmont. I also want to add that our game against you guys at Culver was probably one of the most memorable games of quiz bowl I have ever played. Good Luck to you guys at Pace.
Harsha Gotur
Novi High School
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

Cheynem wrote:I wonder if NAQT or HSAPQ or whoever could think of producing a quick and simple guide to good quizbowl resources that could easily be e-mailed or distributed to coaches/teams.
If you are interested, I'd be interested with working with you on something like this over the summer to send to Michigan teams and other schools.

I appreciate the kind words, Harsha. Connor G, Brandon, and Alex are also notable guys coming back for us. You have a coach who knows what he's doing which is so important, so I'm sure Novi will reload next year too. If our team didn't have an experienced coach we wouldn't be near where we are now. And hopefully we'll see you, Sid et al, and other Michigan players again at ACE this year. I know the DCC guys are going to Illinois this year to avoid a ten hour van ride.
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Harvard '17
Lion81
Lulu

Post by Lion81 »

DrCongo wrote: You have a coach who knows what he's doing which is so important, so I'm sure Novi will reload next year too. If our team didn't have an experienced coach we wouldn't be near where we are now. And hopefully we'll see you, Sid et al, and other Michigan players again at ACE this year.
Just a little bit of clarification. I'm actually graduating this year, so I'm not going to be at camp (It sounded like you were including me when you said 'hope to see you at camp'). Also our coach is becoming assistant principal so he will not be coaching next year (I still think Novi will be a rather dangerous team though).
Harsha Gotur
Novi High School
Windmill Tump
Wakka

Post by Windmill Tump »

Unfortunately, I'm not going to ACE this summer, and I don't think anyone from Country Day is either. I really want to go at some point, but it looks like it'll have to be next year now.

On the bright side, John and I are working on a housewritten tournament! Assuming that the school gives us permission to host, and I can't really see why they wouldn't, we'll hopefully be having it around November or December.
Sid Dogra
Detroit Country Day School '13
Michigan '17
NYU '21
jgalea84
Lulu

Post by jgalea84 »

Lion81 wrote:
DrCongo wrote:Yeah, we're graduating Ryan, Dave, Matt, and Chris from our A team and Connor T and Robert C from our B team. Who does Novi lose?

Our entire A team is all seniors. We lose a couple seniors from our B team, but Aaron is a junior, and he should be very good next year if he keeps improving. Overall, I think our B team is going to be significantly better than this year and hopefully we can get some underclassmen on Varsity. I'm honestly extremely impressed with DCC's ability to reload every year. I thought you guys were gonna take a step back after this year, but with Bobby and Jimmy returning (and i'm sure more people i'm less familiar with), it doesnt sound like it. Its going to be fun watching CC and DCD duke it out against each other next year. Who knows, maybe our A team will finally be able to steal one from one of you guys.

Totally agree on the performance of Michigan QB at Nats. I honestly didn't realize that so many teams from Michigan were going. Also props to CC for finishing strong every single fricking year (have you ever not made top 20?!), especially CC B. I can't believe how much better you guys got through out the year, culminating in a win over Northmont. I also want to add that our game against you guys at Culver was probably one of the most memorable games of quiz bowl I have ever played. Good Luck to you guys at Pace.
I was going to guess 2000 (not a great year for us by any stretch), but a check of NAQT's archives says we were 9th. Of course, that was only out of 52 teams that year. Things have changed!
Joe Galea, Assistant Coach, Olmsted Falls HS, Olmsted Falls, Ohio.
Detroit Catholic Central '02
University of Florida, BA
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, JD
2001 NAQT National Champions
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

If you are coming to MSU this fall and reading this post, you should PM me.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
PennySalem
Lulu

Post by PennySalem »

Lion81 wrote:
Just a little bit of clarification. I'm actually graduating this year, so I'm not going to be at camp (It sounded like you were including me when you said 'hope to see you at camp'). Also our coach is becoming assistant principal so he will not be coaching next year (I still think Novi will be a rather dangerous team though).
Yeah we're getting new coach(es), meaning it'll be important for Novi's students to know what's going on on their own. I'm trying to get some of them to regularly visit hsquizbowl forums/read packets/play on #scobowl rather than forgetting everything over the summer. We do not write questions, unfortunately; I would've loved to write a tournament like what Sid's going on. We have quite a few students (like 10?) going to the Illinois ACE camp, meaning Michigan quizbowl should have a significant presence there (at least compared to Milligan last year)
Penny Salem
Novi High School
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

PennySalem wrote:
Lion81 wrote:
Yeah we're getting new coach(es), meaning it'll be important for Novi's students to know what's going on on their own. I'm trying to get some of them to regularly visit hsquizbowl forums/read packets/play on #scobowl rather than forgetting everything over the summer. We do not write questions, unfortunately; I would've loved to write a tournament like what Sid's going on. We have quite a few students (like 10?) going to the Illinois ACE camp, meaning Michigan quizbowl should have a significant presence there (at least compared to Milligan last year)
Get your team to write questions, it's one of the ways that we at DCC get good and learn new stuff. Overall, it's just very beneficial.

User was reminded to add a proper signature.
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo