Most Surprising Teams?

Tell your tales of bygone days and rank historical things here.
cchiego
Yuna

Most Surprising Teams?

Post by cchiego »

Anyone recall the most surprising out-of-nowhere teams that suddenly surged onto the quizbowl scene? Or at least teams that drastically improved from one year to another? The obvious example is Lakeside 2005, but to an admittedly lesser extent I can think of Bellarmine or maybe Adair County last year.

Throwing this out to people who might recall HSNCTs or NSCs long gone...
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Most Surprising Teams?

Post by AKKOLADE »

I think Ike Jose's team at NSC back in, either 08 or 09 would qualify.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Since no one else has mentioned the 2002 RM team that took the train to GW on a lark for NSC and promptly charged right through the tournament after playing nothing but It's Academic stuff the whole year, I will put them forward as a contender for this list.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

St. Anselm's the past couple years.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Do people have any surprise college teams of note? I realize this is harder to do in college, but I was wondering.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

Cheynem wrote:Do people have any surprise college teams of note? I realize this is harder to do in college, but I was wondering.
Apparently (so I've been told) UWO winning DII ICT in 2008 was quite surprising, being that we finished in 3rd at the SCT that year.

EDIT: Did I say winning? I meant finishing runner-up to Carleton College, of course!
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
University of Waterloo '14
Temple University '20
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Bartleby wrote:
Cheynem wrote:Do people have any surprise college teams of note? I realize this is harder to do in college, but I was wondering.
Apparently (so I've been told) UWO winning DII ICT in 2008 was quite surprising, being that we finished in 3rd at the SCT that year.
Pretty sure Carleton won that one and UWO got second, but yeah, I remember not expecting UWO to finish in the top bracket and then watching them zoom by us.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

Stanford, the year they won the ICT (1998). Maybe also Pitt the year Matt Weiner arrived? Rochester in 2004-2005 wasn't quite as much of a surprise but I'd still list them.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Would Minnesota qualify--the year they broke CBI-lock and immediately won undergrad ACF? Obviously there there wasn't as much of a totally unknown/ victory transition, but it certainly spurred a massive attitude shift in terms of taking Minnesota seriously.
Andrew Watkins
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

So, Andrew Yaphe being good at quizbowl is not a surprise to anyone, but I'm pretty sure that Yaphe showed up to ACF Nationals in 2009 (the WUSTL nationals) with little public notice beforehand. I seem to recall calling Evan Nagler on Friday night, as I was taking the train to my St. Louis hotel, and him telling me "there's going to be a surprise", indicating that even the night before Nats only ACF members knew about it.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I was surprised because I thought at the time that Andrew was a myth designed to frighten young quizbowlers.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Susan wrote:Stanford, the year they won the ICT (1998). Maybe also Pitt the year Matt Weiner arrived? Rochester in 2004-2005 wasn't quite as much of a surprise but I'd still list them.
Wasn't Kemezis on that team? Was that long enough ago that he would have been a surprise?
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:Since no one else has mentioned the 2002 RM team that took the train to GW on a lark for NSC and promptly charged right through the tournament after playing nothing but It's Academic stuff the whole year, I will put them forward as a contender for this list.
They're arguably the most surprising major-nationals winner ever, but they did get a bunch of votes in the fall 2001 and pre-nationals 2002 hsquizbowl polls that were largely dominated by southeast voters, so at least people outside of the mid-Atlantic had heard of them (they just were better on real questions than anyone expected). Representing the early-modern-era, though, I'd have to go with 2001 Capistrano Valley and St. John's, who both finished in the top 10 at HSNCT that year after receiving, as near as I can tell, zero votes each in the hsquizbowl pre-nationals poll, meaning they were (like Lakeside) literally unknown at HSNCT. Actually, 2001 gets my vote for most chaotic year of high school quizbowl, ever, with upsets literally coming out of nowhere at pretty much every national that year.

Also, admit it, you were as shocked as I was to look at the 2006 HSNCT Saturday results and find out that Grosse Pointe North was your #1 playoff seed.

At the college level, along the lines of 2005 Rochester was the 2006 Michigan team that, IIRC, just about everyone wrote off as a major contender after losing 3/4 of their 2005 championship team.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Susan

Post by Susan »

grapesmoker wrote:
Susan wrote:Stanford, the year they won the ICT (1998). Maybe also Pitt the year Matt Weiner arrived? Rochester in 2004-2005 wasn't quite as much of a surprise but I'd still list them.
Wasn't Kemezis on that team? Was that long enough ago that he would have been a surprise?
Kemezis WAS the surprise. He started playing as an upperclassman* (I think he might have started in the 1997-1998 school year, but I wasn't around so don't trust me on the details) and played on a DI ICT-winning team in what seems to have been his first year playing.

*Allegedly after Joon Pahk (I think?) discovered him doing a crossword at lightning speed and forcibly recruited him onto the team.

ETA: It seems it was actually Alan Taber rather than Joon.
Susan
Member emerita, ACF
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Susan wrote:Kemezis WAS the surprise. He started playing as an upperclassman* (I think he might have started in the 1997-1998 school year, but I wasn't around so don't trust me on the details) and played on a DI ICT-winning team in what seems to have been his first year playing.

*Allegedly after Joon Pahk (I think?) discovered him doing a crossword at lightning speed and forcibly recruited him onto the team.
I don't think it can be Joon because he didn't show up at Stanford until I was at Berkeley, which would have been 2000 at the earliest. Maybe it was Matt Lafer prototype Prasun Ray.
Jerry Vinokurov
Susan

Post by Susan »

Subash's Illinois team that won the ICT in 2000 is another good example--yes, people knew he was studying, and it's not like people expected Illinois to come in 28th or anything, but Subash's team had placed fourth at their SCT (behind their own B team) and I doubt anyone seriously expected them to win.
Susan
Member emerita, ACF
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:Since no one else has mentioned the 2002 RM team that took the train to GW on a lark for NSC and promptly charged right through the tournament after playing nothing but It's Academic stuff the whole year, I will put them forward as a contender for this list.
I've never heard this story, that's really impressive. Was Mr. McKenna the coach yet?
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

In 2008, Santa Monica High School went 9-1 in the preliminaries of the HSNCT and proceeded to take 11th overall. They were definitely a known force in quizbowl, but very few people had heard of them before... Hence the surprise.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." --Michelangelo Buonarroti
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

This year's Nats seemed a bit surprising to me, in terms of the teams that ended up in the title hunt. Part of this is due to a concurrent exodus of several great players from the game (Jerry, Seth, Yaphe, Brendan), and part of it is also due to some key absences at the tournament (an Eric-led Penn team). I would have been a little surprised though at the beginning of the year if you had told me Brown would lose Jerry and be about a game away from being in the Nats final, that Chicago would lose Seth and not get Shantanu back and be a game or so away from being in the Nats final, that Virginia would crack the superplayoffs without Will Butler, etc. Even at least at the beginning of the year I (and various others, too, judging by the poll) would not have pegged Yale to win it all, especially after losing their apparently best generalist last year, Rich Mason.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

When a number of teams lose their best player, that levels the standings a lot. Add Brendan to Minnesota or Rich to Yale or Seth to Chicago and I bet you dollars to donuts that team goes undefeated. All those people leaving at once has a huge impact.
Jerry Vinokurov
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Surprising teams. Back when I was in the circuit in the South (2003-10), there wasn't that many surprising teams that came out of the woodwork. Centennial grew very quickly. They went from being a team that we (James Island) would beat up on very easily, to a team that is one of the top ones in the nation.

There were some surprising teams in state action. Southside is one that came up very quickly. It went from being a team that barely played in SC to in less than 5 years being a power able to compete with anybody.

Also in SC, you had the Governors' School, which challenged frequently, but never got out of the state. There were many teams that could have challenged Dorman, Southside (Aiken and Irmo in the early and mid 2000s) or James Island. Many of the good teams never traveled out of their areas, like Academic Magnet. They could have been very good (with the kids they have in their school) but they almost never traveled outside of Charleston.

GA has always had about 6-8 very good teams at a time, with probably a dozen others at any time that could compete with them. Centennial was probably the biggest surprise.
Joe
James Island '10
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

Beachwood from Ohio was rather surprising this year, placing 2nd in SS and 33 in the overall field at this past HSNCT, and they only went to one NAQT tournament this past year.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
jgalea84
Lulu

Post by jgalea84 »

That was a good team. The fact that I was captain of the team that lost to these guys by 10 points in the finals makes me cry a little (a lot).
Joe Galea, Assistant Coach, Olmsted Falls HS, Olmsted Falls, Ohio.
Detroit Catholic Central '02
University of Florida, BA
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, JD
2001 NAQT National Champions
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

I think the shorthanded UWO team that finished second at 2008 DII ICT was a bit shocking. In hindsight, the team featured two great quizbowlers, Will Nediger and Peter Burton, but at the time they appeared to be just three Canadian freshmen fresh off playing Reach for the Top (a speedcheck format) with no quizbowl experience aside from that year's sectionals. It was the highest-ever finish by a Canadian team at ICT - a record that still stands. As a fun sidenote, those three players attended high school together, graduated together, and won the 2007 Reach for the Top title together (along with two other players).
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE
Ontario Veterinary College, co 2015

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!