HS Seniors Bound for College Thread

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

You can email [email protected] or [email protected] if you want to talk to someone on ND quizbowl.

Edit: messed up an email address
Last edited by solonqb on Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

Thanks Noah. I will see what they have to say and maybe even sit in on a practice if they happen to have one when I go up there next week.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

At this point, I'm pretty sure Caltech's gonna be it.

I sat in on their quizbowl practice and played a few ICT packets with some of the team. If you are a high school player who has notions of being immediately dominant in college just like you were in HS, kill your thread of an ego with ICT packets.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

solonqb wrote:If you are a high school player who has notions of being immediately dominant in college just like you were in HS, kill your thread of an ego with ICT packets.
No. Kill their egos with ACF Nationals packets. In practice once last year, TJ A ~75, TJ B ~30.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
Marcel Duchamp
Lulu

Post by Marcel Duchamp »

Going to Brandeis, I'll see how I feel about quizbowl at the end of the year.
Zach Hommer, Coach Priestley Charter School
New Orleans, LA
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

laszlow wrote:No. Kill their egos with ACF Nationals packets. In practice once last year, TJ A ~75, TJ B ~30.
I said kill their egos, not their desire to play quizbowl.

Getting my team to practice ACF Fall is like pulling teeth (and ACF Fall itself is sufficient practice for NAQT and PACE nationals). I enjoy it, but no one else does.
Noah Rahman
snhou
Lulu

Post by snhou »

zwtipp wrote:I won't be coming down until the 24th and 25th. I can't do it this weekend. I was hoping someone might be able to show me around campus or at least tell me some places to go that I should check out.
Thanks
The 24th's a much better day for me, I'll have some time. Classes end the 26th, 27th is the LDOC celebration, the rest of the week is reading period and studying for finals, which aren't too bad for me this semester. This week is pretty busy for me getting all the term papers finished.
rtmohr05
Wakka

Post by rtmohr05 »

I'm a high school senior bound for THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY. Anybody else going anywhere cool? I know Noah is going to Cal-Tech. I'm sure Noah will turn Cal-Tech into the finest university in the nation. Where are Jim Hrdlicka and John Geisenger going to college? They're great guys too.
Rashard Mohr
The Ohio State University
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Thanks for the compliment, but Caltech hardly needs me to make it a great university. Bob mentioned the colleges for the seniors on his team, and Jim Hrdlicka's a junior.
Noah Rahman
rtmohr05
Wakka

Post by rtmohr05 »

Anybody who is willing to photocopy his face and then sign it is and will always be a great man.
Rashard Mohr
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

rtmohr05 on April 5 wrote:(although I am attending Dayton, but only cuz it's real cheap).
rtmohr05 on April 17 wrote:I'm a high school senior bound for THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY. Anybody else going anywhere cool? I know Noah is going to Cal-Tech. I'm sure Noah will turn Cal-Tech into the finest university in the nation. Where are Jim Hrdlicka and John Geisenger going to college? They're great guys too.
Which is it, Richard?
rtmohr05
Wakka

Post by rtmohr05 »

ohio state, i changed my mind
Rashard Mohr
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Richard-- good luck at Ohio State-- you could always play college quizbowl with Big Red from Beavercreek who plays there.

Anyways... Jon is going to Case
Jim is only a junior....

For the record, if you asked for my autograph Saturday, I would've signed it Richard Mohr or Zach Witeof....
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
rtmohr05
Wakka

Post by rtmohr05 »

Is Big Red carrot top? That's what we call him. I think his name is Johnathan Graham. Anyways, I doubt I'm good enough to play college quizbowl. As I told Jim Hrdlicka who wanted my autograph after I asked him for his, I'm just a complimentary role player.
Rashard Mohr
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Ohio State's program is in pretty sad shape. They play CBI, I think, and they got owned when they went to NAQT SCT at DePauw a couple of years back. I hear it's mainly an organizational problem; they can't find an advisor worth a damn.

To prevent this thread from being hijacked by Ohio people, I'm curious to see where seniors from some of the Michigan, Mid-Atlantic (DC/MD/VA), Kentucky, and California teams are going that haven't posted in this thread yet. Is Mike Kettler of Gonzaga a senior?
Noah Rahman
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Richard--
Yeah Jonathan Graham is Big Red aka Carrot top, whatever you want to call him...

Good luck at OSU...
Bob Kilner

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I don't think most programs make use of "advisors;" it's probably a more traditional reason that the Ohio State team faded away. They were indeed fairly active program around 2001, the second incarnation of quizbowl at that school, so I'd hope it would be pretty easy to get started a third time and stick with it.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
wwellington
Wakka

Post by wwellington »

I'm pretty sure I'll be at UNC next year, and the other seniors will be at Yale, Michigan, and (I think) USC (Southern California).
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Zach, did you make your pick yet?
Bob Kilner

snhou
Lulu

Post by snhou »

Matt Weiner wrote:I don't think most programs make use of "advisors;" it's probably a more traditional reason that the Ohio State team faded away.
There are some places where you have to have an sponsor to get university recognition, like, well, Duke (though it's entirely up to the respective club what role if any the sponsor plays in the organization). Of course, Duke has an even more asinine rule stating that university funding has to be spent on-campus so the vast majority of student organizations aren't eligible, which means that the vast majority of our activities fees go to the already-bloated and ineffective DSG to spend on ill-conceived and sparsely-attended programming.
MamaFlanagan
Lulu

Post by MamaFlanagan »

[quote="benjaminthedonkey"]
Is anyone here considering Swarthmore (one of the very few liberal arts schools with a consistently active and regionally competitive quizbowl program)? I'm about to graduate, but I'd be happy to put you in touch with some of the returning members.[/quote]

I'm only a junior but I'm definitely considering Swat. I just visited and my sister is about to graduate (Lillian Ray). Knowing that Swat has an active and competitive quizbowl program definitely makes it more attractive. Thanks
crackerwithak
Lulu

Post by crackerwithak »

I'm Mike Kettler from Gonzaga, and I am a senior. I just decided yesterday that I'll be going to Penn. Is anyone else here a future Quaker? Do they have quiz bowl there? I might be casually interested.
Pistachio
Lulu

Post by Pistachio »

Hey Mike, I'll also be a Quaker come the fall. Penn does have a quiz bowl team--they call it "Academic Demolition"--and they host what I think is the biggest college tournament every year. I'll prolly try it out in the beginning, I doubt I'll do it all four years (but you never know). I'll be at the College, what about you?

~Alexandra of TJ
crackerwithak
Lulu

Post by crackerwithak »

I'm also in the college, and I've already been discriminated against by a Wharton person. Damn their eyes
Chris Frankel
Wakka

Post by Chris Frankel »

Here are Penn's Maize Page contacts: [email protected] and [email protected] (Nick Walters is the club president, IIRC). My impression of Penn is that they have the potential to do well, but don't make it to as many tournaments as they should considering their location and the existance of an established club. I've heard enough about both of you to know you'll easily be good college players, so bug them and see if you can get them coming out to more tournaments.

I'm sure Weiner, myself and a bunch of other mid-Atlantic players would also be happy to offer general advice or suggestions when you get there.
VTBen
Kimahri

Post by VTBen »

I'm going to Swarthmore next fall, and almost certainly joining Quiz Bowl there. Anyone here on their team that can tell me about it? Although I'm a decent player now I'm very intimidated but at the same time excited...
welhai
Lulu

Post by welhai »

Oh wonderful. I just finished my first year at Swarthmore and can assure you that you're in for a worthwhile experience, regardless of how you end up involved with college bowl.

We do have a team that's been pretty consistently strong (given an all-undergrad student body of not quite 1500). This year will be interesting with the graduation of Chris White and the retirement of Emily Ullman- the better scoring half of our A team.

However, there's a good core of enthusiastic rising sophomores who play for the fun of it, making for a admirably non-dysfunctional team dynamic. I'm considering getting back into the swing of things at a more involved level- my participation this past year was limited to a couple of tourneys (and hardly any practices) each semester. But even if this doesn't end up happening, Swarthmore's a small enough place that I'm sure we'll see each other around.

Feel free to email or IM me with any questions.

Wren
Quizbowl- the sport of philosopher kings.
Quizbowlman4
Kimahri

TJ A

Post by Quizbowlman4 »

Since the notoriously strong TJ A team will have to split up in a few weeks, I would like to know where we will see them next year. Sam at Harvard, Jacob at princeton (?), and where are the other two going?
tj b boy
Lulu

Re: TJ A

Post by tj b boy »

Quizbowlman4 wrote:Since the notoriously strong TJ A team will have to split up in a few weeks, I would like to know where we will see them next year. Sam at Harvard, Jacob at princeton (?), and where are the other two going?
Correct on the Jacob thing. Dan is going to UNC-Chapel Hill, and Will is going to Princeton. It'll be interesting to see how college quiz bowl treats them, and how they treat college quiz bowl.
Manyo2
Lulu

Post by Manyo2 »

Although I personally am not going anywhere due to being a junior, at DuPont we're sending one each to:
Penn
Brown
Princeton
Duke
Ga. Tech
Amherst (I think)
Davidson(I think)
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Is Abhinav a senior or junior?
Noah Rahman
Manyo2
Lulu

Post by Manyo2 »

Senior, he's the one going to Duke.
Personamb
Lulu

Post by Personamb »

I'm going to Caltech, if anybody cares. I think my role will be soundly covered on the QB team by Noah :-p but I'll go to a practice or two anyway.
Cliff Chang
New Trier HS, IL
California Institute of Technology, CA
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Trust me dude, they need all the dedicated people they can get if we want to restore Caltech to quizbowl greatness :)
Noah Rahman
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Personamb wrote:I'm going to Caltech, if anybody cares. I think my role will be soundly covered on the QB team by Noah :-p but I'll go to a practice or two anyway.
If it makes you feel better Cliff, I care.

Well, not really, but I thought it sounded nice. :wink:
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
ekweizn
Kimahri

Post by ekweizn »

They're all fine houses.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

ekweizn wrote:They're all fine houses.
And to which fine house do you belong, sir?

In any case, so far that makes me, Cliff (interestingly enough, the current Caltech quizbowl dictator, Parag Bhayani, is from Homewood-Flossmoor HS), Dan Rowlands from Eleanor Roosevelt, and Lev Pisarsky from Harker (decent Bay Area school).
Noah Rahman
djayboots
Lulu

Post by djayboots »

Is anyone here going to Stanford? So far the only quiz bowlers I know going there are myself (Kevin Koai of Mission San Jose) and someone from Lakeside (Patrick Leahy, I think?).
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

solonqb wrote:Trust me dude, they need all the dedicated people they can get if we want to restore Caltech to quizbowl greatness :)
All I can say is that Caltech is going to have one heck of a scary Div II team next year, adding this group to a group of players that performed well at D2 sectionals but not well enough to get a bid.

In response to Kevin: I'm not positive, but I would expect a couple of other players from various parts of the country to also be going to Stanford.

Look forward to seeing all you soon-to-be Caltech/Stanford people on the circuit next year.
Personamb
Lulu

Post by Personamb »

djayboots wrote:Is anyone here going to Stanford? So far the only quiz bowlers I know going there are myself (Kevin Koai of Mission San Jose) and someone from Lakeside (Patrick Leahy, I think?).
Blair Nathan from New Trier is also going to Stanford. He was 14th or so individual at NAQT nationals. He is quite strong in social studies.
Cliff Chang
New Trier HS, IL
ekweizn
Kimahri

Post by ekweizn »

solonqb wrote:

In any case, so far that makes me, Cliff (interestingly enough, the current Caltech quizbowl dictator, Parag Bhayani, is from Homewood-Flossmoor HS), Dan Rowlands from Eleanor Roosevelt, and Lev Pisarsky from Harker (decent Bay Area school).
Lloyd Hizzouse. Anyway, look forward to meeting you prefrosh. Hopefully Caltech doesn't burn you out of doing QB regularly (like it did me).

-Eric Kwei
rtmohr05
Wakka

Post by rtmohr05 »

djayboots wrote:Is anyone here going to Stanford? So far the only quiz bowlers I know going there are myself (Kevin Koai of Mission San Jose) and someone from Lakeside (Patrick Leahy, I think?).
I'm going to Stanford. Luckily my 35 on the ACT and all my madd skillz got me in. Unfortunately our captain didn't get in with his 34 ACT. What a joke. No skillz.
Rashard Mohr
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

Wait, first Dayton, then OSU, now Stanford? You sure you know where you're going?

Oh, and don't needlessly bash a 34 on the ACT; keep it civil, chief.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
rtmohr05
Wakka

Post by rtmohr05 »

You're right I'm going to Ohio State, but I could've gone to Stanford.
Rashard Mohr
Ratatosk of ER
Lulu

Post by Ratatosk of ER »

solonqb wrote:

Just confirming that I'll be going to Caltech next year. I hope the workload doesn't keep me from having time for quizbowl.

Also, I met a Caltech prefrosh named Davyd Wing from some qb team in Florida who seemed pretty certain about going to Caltech and planned on doing college bowl there.
---Daniel from Eleanor Roosevelt

Ave Minerva.
eltennis9
Lulu

Post by eltennis9 »

I'll also be going to Stanford next year.

-Eric of Dunbar
All the way...
potato0328
Lulu

Post by potato0328 »

I'm not sure if he still posts here anymore, but Alex Inman from Fremd (in Illinois) is going to Stanford. I'm not sure if he plans to do schobowl, but you guys at Stanford should be hoping he does. He made All-State last year, and he's one of the fastest buzzers I've ever seen.
directly from Fremd High School...
Phishphan
Lulu

Post by Phishphan »

I'm also going to Stanford, and I agree, Alex Inman is very good.
Scho Bowl Defensive Specialist
Personamb
Lulu

Post by Personamb »

rtmohr05 wrote: I'm going to Stanford. Luckily my 35 on the ACT and all my madd skillz got me in. Unfortunately our captain didn't get in with his 34 ACT. What a joke. No skillz.
Heh, my 36 wasn't enough to get me in to Stanford, though I was deferred on the waiting list so I didn't get a final decision until early July :-D
Cliff Chang
New Trier HS, IL
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

I was waitlisted by Stanford as well. Ah, the quiizbowl team that could have been....
Noah Rahman