BLASTOISE (Hybrid: Half-Trash) at UToronto, May 21st

Old college threads.
minusfive
Rikku

BLASTOISE (Hybrid: Half-Trash) at UToronto, May 21st

Post by minusfive »

Hello All,
The title basically says it all. It's going to be held in downtown Toronto (University of Toronto, downtown "St. George" campus), is an open tournament, with less than $100 entry fee, discounts for staff/buzzers/distance/high school, and some side events which are long overdue to be played in Canada. It is half-trash, half-academic, and is ideal for new-er quizbowl players. For more information, please either e-mail me at [email protected], or UToronto President (of Quizbowl) Max Trower at [email protected]

Hope to see you there!

Event: BLASTOISE (Ottawa Hybrid)
Date: Saturday, May 21, 2011
Time: 9:30 a.m. (please, please, please for the Love of God, be punctual!)
Site: Galbraith Building, University of Toronto St. George Campus, 35 St. George Street, Toronto
Cost: $80 per team, with the following discounts:
a) Working Buzzers ($-10)
b) Staff member (Scorekeeper/Moderator) ($-10)
c) A team composed SOLELY of high school players ($-10)
d) A team travelling more than 300 Kilometres (one way) to play ($-10)
e) Two or fewer players on a team ($-20)
Minimum Fee: $20

Logistics:
Parking maps around the university (I recommend either the lot under "BCIT" or aboveground at King's College Circle:
http://www.parking.utoronto.ca/Assets/P ... +Rates.pdf
http://www.parking.utoronto.ca/Assets/P ... ng+Map.pdf

Transit maps of the downtown are:
Subway map (I recommend "St George" which is closest, and "Queen's Park" which is about a 15 minute walk)
http://www3.ttc.ca/Subway/interactivemap.jsp

This is a route map for aboveground mass transit (buses, streetcars)
http://www3.ttc.ca/images/fixedImages/TTC-Downtown.pdf

Food:
Galbraith building is >5 minutes north of College Street, with a Starbucks, Subway, Shwarma place, Burger King, 7 eleven and Irish pub. You won't starve.

FIELD UPDATE:
Team Quizbowl Awesomeness (Eric Smith, Chris Lionel, Sinan Ulusoy, Miran Terzic)
Team All Stars from the Past (Bruce Lin et al.)-->Looking for free agents(?)
McMaster (at least 1 team)
Waterloo (6 players; at least 1 team)
Claudine Longet Invitational Biathlon (Will Nediger, Peter Burton, Muna Mire and Brian McNamara)
Josh Alman et al. (UTS alumni) (maybe)
Michigan (maybe)
Plus a lot of free agents (Andy Saunders, James Schmidt)
Last edited by minusfive on Thu May 12, 2011 11:52 am, edited 8 times in total.
Jordan Palmer, Nick Penner's Hero.

Pass by, and curse thy fill, but pass and stay not here thy gait.
Cheynem
Sin

Re: BLASTOISE (Hybrid: Half-Trash) at UToronto, May 21st

Post by Cheynem »

Do you have any insight as to what side events might be attached to this? (perhaps FOGHAT?) I might have an inclination to go to this if enough interesting side events appear (especially if other Michigan teams are interested).

EDIT: Forgot about passport/license restrictions for crossing the border. Might have to back out.
Last edited by Cheynem on Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

What are these "side events" of which you speak? I suspect I have played them already, but if not...
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

Some Michigan people are interested in this. We'll get back to you.
Bryan Berend
Detroit Catholic Central '09
Michigan '13
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

I have to confirm (again-some of them we were hoping to run at the last event but got evicted by, I kid you not, security before we could: long story short, we'll be in a different building this time which does not have its own security guard with nothing to do, and will make sure we have the rooms booked until Armageddon), but these are the side-events I'm hoping to run:

Julius Civilis (almost everyone has played this in the States by now, yes?)
Wild Kingdom (ditto)
Video Games (ditto?)
and I believe UWaterloo has a Math/CS toss-up event that they wrote as a fundraiser (I don't think anyone's played this yet)
Anything else out there that people want to play-I will try to get it!

Regarding FOGHAT, I was under the impression that this was a full (10 rounds, would probably take a day) tournament-but yes, I am hoping we can bring that to Canada soon.

The more the merrier-please please come!

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Yeah, sadly Julius Civilis, Wild Kingdom, and Video Games were played throughout the States (some of them are even available online by now).

Foghat is I think a full tournament--I would be "enthused" with playing it as a second day event if that were possible, otherwise perhaps turning it into a tossups only singles event with the writer's permission would also be fine.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

I am very interested in this, and would be happy to lend my services to reading side events (though I would play FOGHAT if available)-- particularly Wild Kingdom, as I authored something on the number of six-eight Canadian-centric tossups for it.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
University of Waterloo '14
Temple University '20
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

How about Moon Pie? I'm honestly not all that huge on a trash/academic hybrid written by high school students, but maybe Moon Pie would be better while still remaining accessible?
Jerry Vinokurov
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

As an earlier edit indicates, I'm not sure if I can make this since I'd have to get a passport/enhanced driver's license pretty quickly. However, if you mirrored Foghat or Moon Pie (or moved Blastoise if you mirror Moon Pie instead), I could come out for that at a later time.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Having played Blastoise, I'd like to say that the tournament is completely inappropriate for the audience indicated by this thread. The academic difficulty is roughly at the level for the Ottawa high school teams that played (although the questions varied wildly between packets - see the round report here), while the trash content seems to be based on the interests of the packet writer rather than a measure of what is "important" or "relevant" in pop culture.

I was OK with participating in the original tournament because I thought it would encourage writing/editing amongst the local schools in preparation for a future in university QB. I'm disappointed that this tournament will be exported to universities for moneymaking; experienced players will be, quite frankly, disgusted by this tournament unless it was significantly changed from its original form.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
women, fire and dangerous things
Tidus

Post by women, fire and dangerous things »

bsmith wrote:Having played Blastoise, I'd like to say that the tournament is completely inappropriate for the audience indicated by this thread. The academic difficulty is roughly at the level for the Ottawa high school teams that played (although the questions varied wildly between packets - see the round report here), while the trash content seems to be based on the interests of the packet writer rather than a measure of what is "important" or "relevant" in pop culture.

I was OK with participating in the original tournament because I thought it would encourage writing/editing amongst the local schools in preparation for a future in university QB. I'm disappointed that this tournament will be exported to universities for moneymaking; experienced players will be, quite frankly, disgusted by this tournament unless it was significantly changed from its original form.
Given this, maybe Jerry's suggestion of a Moon Pie mirror is a good idea.
Will Nediger
-Proud member of the cult of Urcuchillay-
University of Western Ontario 2011, University of Michigan 2017
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

I'm all for either, but as this tournament is in three weeks, and people need to form teams/make travel plans (in some cases), perhaps a definite decision within the next few days would be a good thing.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
Temple University '20
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

bsmith wrote: I was OK with participating in the original tournament because I thought it would encourage writing/editing amongst the local schools in preparation for a future in university QB. I'm disappointed that this tournament will be exported to universities for moneymaking; experienced players will be, quite frankly, disgusted by this tournament unless it was significantly changed from its original form.
Well, first off, with respect, I don't agree. I mean, yes, some of the people who have asked about other tournaments (like Jerry) would tear through the packets, but (with a little bit of editing, like taking the first line power out of some of them) it's at a good level for Canadian quizbowl. Is it uneven? Yes, it was, but no less uneven than most tournaments; I actually think it's about the same difficulty (albeit the writers are less experienced) than something like ACF Fall. I guess the thing to do is reiterate: this is BLASTOISE, it is being mirrored at Toronto on May 21st-don't like it, by all means enjoy your weekend doing something else. We're trying to keep the fees low too, so I kind of resent the implication that this is some sort of money grab (it's fundraising, but I mean, c'mon). People enjoy playing the hybrid in Southern Ontario; there's lots of interest; and I'm not selling it as "hey guys, here's the bestest thing everest." The side events will kick ass, coincidentally, and I'm looking forward to playing/staffing them.

I am all in favour of hosting both a Moon Pie mirror and/or FOGHAT in Canada. I can't comment on them till I talk to the writers, of course, and if someone else wants to take these on, by all means-we don't want to hog all the hosting responsibilities (but we will if no one else will host). We are hosting BLASTOISE on the Saturday; as general interest goes, would it be better to hold something else (FOGHAT/Moon Pie/RC) on the Sunday (May 22), or on a different Saturday?

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Jordan, I respect your decision to host whatever tournament you feel is appropriate for your field (who is that field, anyway?) even though I think you underestimate what Canadian teams will know. But all I can tell you is that I can't really justify a 5-hour car trip to play high school trash questions. My feeling is that most American candidates for attending your tournament feel similarly. I do think that something like Moon Pie, if it could be arranged, would be a better substitute (not companion) for your event, but if you're strongly set against that option I'm not sure that there's anything I can say that would convince you otherwise.
Jerry Vinokurov
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I would prefer for selfish reasons to see the Moon Pie/Foghat mirror at some later time so that I would be able to go. I am okay not playing Blastoise on the 21st if Toronto can draw the appropriate field for it and I am sure Jerry is not particularly broken up about whatever Jordan chooses to do (although Jordan wants his autograph!).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

grapesmoker wrote:Jordan, I respect your decision to host whatever tournament you feel is appropriate for your field (who is that field, anyway?) even though I think you underestimate what Canadian teams will know. But all I can tell you is that I can't really justify a 5-hour car trip to play high school trash questions. My feeling is that most American candidates for attending your tournament feel similarly. I do think that something like Moon Pie, if it could be arranged, would be a better substitute (not companion) for your event, but if you're strongly set against that option I'm not sure that there's anything I can say that would convince you otherwise.
Cheynem wrote:I would prefer for selfish reasons to see the Moon Pie/Foghat mirror at some later time so that I would be able to go. I am okay not playing Blastoise on the 21st if Toronto can draw the appropriate field for it and I am sure Jerry is not particularly broken up about whatever Jordan chooses to do (although Jordan wants his autograph!).
Yeah, it's probably best that players with a lot of experience of high-level quizbowl (Jerry, I still want your autograph) not play BLASTOISE-it's not really designed for the best of the best. Having said that, I think it will be a good time for those that come out (and the trash is not anymore idiosyncratic than, well, trash). I have e-mailed FOGHAT's writers and MP/RC's writers to request a mirror; if I'm stepping on other Canadian/Great Lakes toes here, just let me know. I'm thinking early June, maybe (this would be warmer, and the weekend of the 28th is, I believe, HSNCT)?

EDIT: Field for BLASTOISE at top

Tidus

As Peter mentioned on the Facebook event, I'm playing with him, Muna, and Christian Hegele, under the name "Claudine Longet Invitational Biathlon."
Will Nediger
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
the third garrideb
Wakka

Post by the third garrideb »

minusfive wrote:I have e-mailed FOGHAT's writers and MP/RC's writers to request a mirror; if I'm stepping on other Canadian/Great Lakes toes here, just let me know. I'm thinking early June, maybe (this would be warmer, and the weekend of the 28th is, I believe, HSNCT)?
I emailed Ming-Ho to see if UW would want to host this, since he'll be running the club this summer. I guess he can let you know by the end of next week (after the first practice) if they have the resources/interest in doing this.
Huma Zafar
University of Waterloo alumna
bmcke
Wakka

Post by bmcke »

Come on now, Michael Frolik. When I saw there were bad questions, instead of coming here to rant, I talked to the editors and helped them fix it up. I'm not sure what the current state of the set is, but it's certainly better than what we played in Ottawa -- maybe someone from the Delaware site can judge whether it would be, like, sufficiently playable.

EDIT: Also want to ask what items should be used for Jerry's autograph. Does anyone still have print packets of "name me with my title"?
Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Updated the top post with details like time, place and cost. Also another team has joined!

jdd2007
Lulu

Post by jdd2007 »

Ohio State is interested.
JDurst
Ohio State
mhyee
Lulu

Post by mhyee »

Waterloo will be sending one team, two staffers, and a buzzer set to BLASTOISE. We have six people on our team, so we could play as one team and alternate, or split into two teams and pick up a few free agents, whichever is convenient.
the third garrideb wrote:
minusfive wrote:I have e-mailed FOGHAT's writers and MP/RC's writers to request a mirror; if I'm stepping on other Canadian/Great Lakes toes here, just let me know. I'm thinking early June, maybe (this would be warmer, and the weekend of the 28th is, I believe, HSNCT)?
I emailed Ming-Ho to see if UW would want to host this, since he'll be running the club this summer. I guess he can let you know by the end of next week (after the first practice) if they have the resources/interest in doing this.
Unfortunately, Waterloo doesn't have the resources for hosting anything this summer. So Toronto/anybody else can do this.
Ming-Ho Yee
Northeastern University
Formerly University of Waterloo
Tidus

Christian had to drop out, so CLIB is down to three players. If there are any interested free agents out there, let me know.
Will Nediger
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

women, fire and dangerous things wrote:Christian had to drop out, so CLIB is down to three players. If there are any interested free agents out there, let me know.
I have done this, so I shall be playing with Will, Peter, and Muna.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
Temple University '20
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Bartleby wrote:
women, fire and dangerous things wrote:Christian had to drop out, so CLIB is down to three players. If there are any interested free agents out there, let me know.
I have done this, so I shall be playing with Will, Peter, and Muna.
Duly noted; I have updated the above entry list.

As far as I know, James Schmidt and Andy Saunders are free agents still looking for teams.

Also, if people (who haven't already done so) could send me their rosters and WHO'S BRINGING BUZZERS!!!! to [email protected], it would be much appreciated.
Last edited by minusfive on Thu May 12, 2011 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdd2007
Lulu

Post by jdd2007 »

We have to bow out, sorry.
JDurst
Ohio State
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

This happened, and I'd like to thank Jordan, Max, and the rest of U of T for holding a well-run and fun tournament. Perhaps I will post a couple more substantive thoughts on the questions themselves tomorrow.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
Temple University '20
p-vs-vp
Lulu

Post by p-vs-vp »

Great tournament, Toronto! Well done :)
Arjun Sondhi
VP of Public Relations, Leslie's Miscellaneous Treats
University of Washington, 2014-present
University of Waterloo, 2009-2014

"Can you dance like a hippogriff?
Ma ma ma, ma ma ma, ma ma ma"

But I WANT to be stupid!
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Hello All,
Thanks for the kind words! I'd like to thank our volunteersn who did a great job (Huma, Arjun, Greg, Jay and Max) and of course, all the players who came out to play! The winning team was McMaster A, who beat U of T Alumni in a tight final. Staaaats will be posted this week.
Thanks again to everyone who came!

minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Also, regarding discussion of specific questions, please DO NOT discuss them, as until further notice, the packets are still not cleared for discussion.
Sorry about this,
Thanks

Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

minusfive wrote:Also, regarding discussion of specific questions, please DO NOT discuss them, as until further notice, the packets are still not cleared for discussion.
Sorry about this,
Thanks
This tournament has really got legs! I shall refrain from such comments until an appropriate time.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
Temple University '20
CraigM
Lulu

Post by CraigM »

Where are these so called "staaaats" Jordan? I've been waiting anxiously at my keyboard all week for them, and you leave me wanting much, much more.
Craig Moysey
McMaster University '11
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

I always try to leave them wanting more.
Here are the staaats:
http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings