BHS Quizcub: JV/MS Hybrid (GA)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Blau Space
Lulu

BHS Quizcub: JV/MS Hybrid (GA)

Post by Blau Space »

Bainbridge High School (Georgia) is pleased to announce its upcoming Quizcub Invitational Academic Tournament!

DATE: April 23, 2011

Below you will find some information about the Quizcub Invitational and a current field. We will have a Junior Varsity division and a Middle School division of AT MOST 18 teams in each division. For our purposes, JV will be defined as 10th grade and under; MS will be defined as 8th grade and under. Trophies will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place teams in each division, and individual awards will be presented to the top 5 players in each field. If you'd like to reserve a spot but you are unsure of whether you can attend, let me know, and I will hold a spot for you for as long as I can.

It’s simple to register. Just reply to this post or send me an email stating how many teams you plan on bringing, which division they’ll be playing in, and how many working buzzer systems you will be bringing, and... you’re registered!

GAME FORMAT:

4 players can play at a time.
You may substitute players between rounds only.
We are playing 15 tossups followed by 15 tossups with 3-part bonuses worth up to 30 points each.
We will be using bounce-backs on the bonuses at this tournament.
There will be powers and negs as well.
Players will have 3 seconds to begin their answer once they have buzzed in.
The readers will be instructed to recognize the player once he or she has buzzed.
Teams will be given 5 seconds per bonus part to confer and deliver their answer.
The captain or the captain's designee must give the answers on the bonuses.
We will be tracking individual and team statistics for every team in the tournament.
These will (hopefully) be posted between rounds.
In the event of a computational math question, teams will be allowed 30 seconds to buzz in on tossups and 30 seconds per bonus part.

TOURNAMENT FORMAT:

Will be decided based on the number of teams that register.

FIELD:

Teams – Buzzers - Payment status

JV Division
1. Bainbridge HS A (GA) – 1 - paid
2. Bainbridge HS B (GA) – 1 - paid
3. Baconton Charter HS (GA) - 0 - $75
4. Ware County HS (GA) – 0 - $75
5. Maclay MS A (FL)** - 0 - $75
6. Cabot JV (AR) – 0 - $75
7. Montford JV (FL) - 0 - $75

MS Division
1. Bainbridge MS A (GA) - 1 - paid
2. Bainbridge MS B (GA) - 1 - paid
3. Riversprings MS (FL) - 0 - $75
4. Cabot MS (AR) – 0 - $75
5. Montford MS A (FL) - 0 - $75
6. Montford MS B (FL)
7. Ware Co. A (GA)
8. Ware Co. B (GA)

FEES & PAYMENT:

First team = $75
Second team = $65
Third team = $55
Fourth team = $45
Buzzer discount = $5/working system
Distance discount = $5/100 miles

Questions for our tournament will be provided by QTQ, which can be found on the web at http://www.QuizTeamQuestions.com

Visit us on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/bhsquizcats

If you are interested, please email: [email protected]
OR
Reply to this post, and I'll forward your intent to our coach!
Last edited by Blau Space on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anne Reynolds
Bainbridge High School '12
Emory University '16
Blau Space
Lulu

Re: BHS Quizcub: JV/MS Hybrid (GA)

Post by Blau Space »

Field update - +3 teams MS division.

Also, several MS teams in the South GA/North FL area have qualified for the MSNCT in Chicago, and so have decided to play their A team in our JV division in order to prepare/play higher level teams/etc, so that's always an option, too.
Anne Reynolds
Emory University '16
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

If you don't mind, might I recommend that you use the Collaborative Middle School Tournament for the middle school division? The CMST is a really excellent set. It's very well written. Each clue is academically significant and leads to the correct answer, and the questions award knowledge really well. You can view all the packets from last year's CMST here.

Also, for the JV division, an NAQT-A set would be really appropriate to use. Again, the A-set is good because it's more pyramidal and lacks unnecessary trivia.

I don't have a vested interest in either CMST or NAQT-A; but looking through the samples that QTQ has written, I wouldn't recommend them. A lot of the clues seem trivial and are not written with pyrimidality in mind, and I think everyone would enjoy sets like CMST and NAQT-A more.
Kay, Chicago.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Ar$oni$t$ Get All the Girl$ wrote:Also, for the JV division, an NAQT-A set would be really appropriate to use. Again, the A-set is good because it's more pyramidal and lacks unnecessary trivia.
This isn't actually an option, because all four of this year's A-series sets are being used at other Georgia tournaments.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

Ar$oni$t$ Get All the Girl$ wrote:I don't have a vested interest in either CMST or NAQT-A; but looking through the samples that QTQ has written, I wouldn't recommend them. A lot of the clues seem trivial and are not written with pyrimidality in mind, and I think everyone would enjoy sets like CMST and NAQT-A more.
People gave similar assessments after the Berry tournament run on QTQ.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
Ar$oni$t$ Get All the Girl$ wrote:Also, for the JV division, an NAQT-A set would be really appropriate to use. Again, the A-set is good because it's more pyramidal and lacks unnecessary trivia.
This isn't actually an option, because all four of this year's A-series sets are being used at other Georgia tournaments.
Shouldn't this be far enough from the other Georgia tournaments so that it can be used? It's in Southwest Georgia after all.
Kay, Chicago.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

97A, 99A, and 103A have all been heard already by teams registered for this tournament.

It might be possible to use 101A, which was used at the Locust Grove JV tournament on January 29th. We haven't received full results from the host of that event; the only results I could find were the top three teams listed on georgiaquizbowl.org.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Blau Space
Lulu

Post by Blau Space »

List of wrestling-based comic books wrote: People gave similar assessments after the Berry tournament run on QTQ.
True. When I played in the Berry tournament, I did not enjoy the set at all...waaay too much bio, very few title drops, etc so on...

But, we've been assured that this set will be much better (our coach has been collaborating with the QTQ writers pretty regularly to make sure that this set is a lot better and has given them some pretty specific specs; i.e, less bio, more pyramidal, so on...)

If this set shows no improvement from what we heard at Berry, then we'll most certainly switch to NAQT (or housewrite; which we did for this year's MS Jag Bowl in Cedar Shoals and which is what I/we will do for the JV tourney we plan on hosting next year.)...

Basically, we're just going to see how it goes, and make adjustments as needed for next year...I'm optimistic that the questions will be much better written, though, from what I've seen.
Anne Reynolds
Emory University '16
Blau Space
Lulu

Post by Blau Space »

Ar$oni$t$ Get All the Girl$ wrote:If you don't mind, might I recommend that you use the Collaborative Middle School Tournament for the middle school division? The CMST is a really excellent set. It's very well written. Each clue is academically significant and leads to the correct answer, and the questions award knowledge really well. You can view all the packets from last year's CMST here.
That's an excellent idea!! Thanks much! We're definitely going to look into using the CMST set, then, for our MS division...I think the kids would really enjoy it!
Anne Reynolds
Emory University '16
MitchAlday
Lulu

Post by MitchAlday »

Ar$oni$t$ Get All the Girl$ wrote:If you don't mind, might I recommend that you use the Collaborative Middle School Tournament for the middle school division? The CMST is a really excellent set. It's very well written. Each clue is academically significant and leads to the correct answer, and the questions award knowledge really well. You can view all the packets from last year's CMST here.
I agree with you, Kay, that the CMST is a great tournament. We've used last year's set for practice with our middle schoolers and younger varsity players, and everyone has had very positive things to say.
I agree with you that NAQT's A-sets are very good for JV and Novice competition.
Ar$oni$t$ Get All the Girl$ wrote:I don't have a vested interest in either CMST or NAQT-A; but looking through the samples that QTQ has written, I wouldn't recommend them. A lot of the clues seem trivial and are not written with pyrimidality in mind, and I think everyone would enjoy sets like CMST and NAQT-A more.
I appreciate the interest you have taken in making sure our tournament has good questions. However, I can assure that I have taken the same interest. Also, I have our best financial well being in mind, and I'm getting a better deal from QTQ than I could get from NAQT. Further, QTQ has been receptive to producing the tournament to my suggested specs, i.e. roughly 25% Natural Science, Literature, History, and Social Sciences + Fine Arts/power-marking/associated 3-part bonuses/etc...

Ultimately, I guess I would like for everybody to give this company a chance before crucifying it on this message board. From what I understand, our set will be the first set that QTQ has produced for a non-Berry College tournament. If it's bad, we'll say it's bad. If it's good, we'll say it's good. I think it will be good.
Mitch Alday
Quiz Bowl Ronin
Former Coach - Bainbridge HS (GA)
Blau Space
Lulu

Post by Blau Space »

This is going to have to be rescheduled, possibly for May 14. We had somewhere around 10 teams pull out of the tournament over Spring Break (most citing issues with the date, I believe.)
Anne Reynolds
Emory University '16