Eggspert Buzzers?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Eggspert Buzzers?

Post by Mike Bentley »

Anyone ever used these buzzer systems: http://www.trainerswarehouse.com/Eggspe ... nfo/GABUZ/

Some coach brought one to a tournament yesterday but I didn't really get a chance to see them in action. It looks like they lock out according to a YouTube video I saw. They only have 6 buzzers and seem to have relatively short cords, but they're also only $62 which is very hard to beat. I'm considering buying a few of these to use as backup systems when teams don't bring enough buzzers to a tournament.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: Eggspert Buzzers?

Post by Mike Bentley »

Ok so apparently you can get one of these things for $46 shipped at Amazon (or about 1/5 the cost of even the cheapest buzzer system), so I ordered one. I'll report back on its effectiveness for quizbowl.
Mike Bentley
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Wheel of Fortune Mode
The teacher squeezes the Control Button, setting Eggspert's lights into motion. The eggs light up in sequence, blinking and beeping one at a time, first rapidly and gradually slower and s-l-o-w-e-r, until only one egg remains lit. The student (or team of students) assigned that color answers a question or completes an activity.
Well, THIS could be a funn mode to use!!! :razz:
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Gotta admit that I kind of love that gimmick and can see it working for practice purposes.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Carambola!
Lulu

Post by Carambola! »

Saw that it was down to $28 with free shipping and ordered one as well. Will report back.
Jeffrey Li
Mission San Jose High '11
Berkeley '15

But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

laserphaser wrote:Saw that it was down to $28 with free shipping and ordered one as well. Will report back.
I think that version may not come with an AC Adapter.
Mike Bentley
Carambola!
Lulu

Post by Carambola! »

All-in-one AC adapter cable.
Jeffrey Li
Berkeley '15

But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

laserphaser wrote:All-in-one AC adapter cable.
Did yours end up coming with an AC adapter? The more expensive one I bought didn't despite the fact that the Amazon listing said it came with one.

Anyway, I haven't used this for an actual quizbowl match yet, but here's some basic info:
-As implied above, the system can be powered by 4 AA batteries or with an AC adapter. This could make it useful for student activity fairs.
-The system does have basic lockout functionality, so it can be used for normal quizbowl.
-There are 6 buzzers and a moderator reset buzzer. These all plug into a central console with lights on it. The cords are rather short, probably around 3 feet each. I imagine the optimal set-up for this would be to have the moderator sit at a desk and put the unit on its own desk that players can huddle their chairs around. It's still going to be pretty cramped quarters.
-The buzzers themselves are a bit weird. They have this rubber padding to them which makes them a little hard to depress. I may look into removing this padding to see if it makes it easier to buzz.
-The buzzers use a 1/8th inch headphone connection. This is similar to what SVBZ buzzers use. It's unclear if this makes these buzzers as prone to breaking as the SVBZ buzzers.
-When I get some time, I'll see how feasible and cost-effective it is to create my own buzzer using a longer cord. I'll also see if there's an easy way to increase the total number of buzzers (or at least let two people share a single light but use a different buzzer).
-There's apparently a wireless unit that will fix the buzzer cord length issue, but it's more expensive (around $90) and the buzzers may not be as reliable. I think it still limits you to 6 buzzers.
Mike Bentley
uclajerry
Lulu

Post by uclajerry »

I've used these in high school spanish class before. The Wheel of Fortune mode is awesome.
Jerry Luo
UCLA 2014
Carambola!
Lulu

Post by Carambola! »

No adapter cable. I used the all-in-one I had lying around. Battery mode is also useful; I'll probably bring it to tournaments so we can practice sans power outlets.
Jeffrey Li
Berkeley '15

Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

laserphaser wrote:I'll probably bring it to tournaments
Awesome.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine