2011 NAQT HSNCT: May 27-29: Congratulations State College!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: 2011 NAQT HSNCT: May 27-29, Atlanta

Post by Important Bird Area »

jonpin wrote:As a re-request, would it be possible to put a real-time count of teams that are registered on the field page itself?
Yes. R. says this will be updated later tonight.
jonpin wrote:Also, in terms of the 208-team cutoff, when does a team get their spot? When I start the registration or when I hit "done"?
You are confirmed as soon as you start the registration (and the field page displays "Local HS B (in process)"). If your registration stays "in process" for a long time, we'll eventually email you asking you to either finalize or cancel it.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

bt_green_warbler wrote:
jonpin wrote:As a re-request, would it be possible to put a real-time count of teams that are registered on the field page itself?
Yes. R. says this will be updated later tonight.
Sorry, this hasn't happened yet because there was some sort of bug in the small school display. It will be fixed in the near future.
Joe N wrote:Is there any word on when the list of wildcards and standby teams will be posted?
The current standby list can be found on naqt.com.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

171 teams are now registered.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Shiny new field update, which now displays:

1) Running tally of teams registered (as I write this, 174 teams)

2) City and state for each team

3) Small school status

4) The current standby list
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

I do not envy those in the tab room this year who will have to distinguish not just between St. Joseph (NJ) and St. Joseph's (IN), but between those two and St. Joseph Catholic (UT).
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

BG MSL Champs wrote:The same can be said for attractions, with Turner Field, the Georgia Aquarium, the CNN Center, Coca Cola World, and Centennial Olympic Park all being within walking distance.
Is Atlanta a very walkable city? The field is two miles from the hotel according to Mapquest. but some cities are either very walkable (such as cities in Europe) while others are not (sections of Pittsburgh, Seattle).
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Cassian
Lulu

Post by Cassian »

I've been getting quotes the last couple of days on flights to Atlanta from Austin, and even 60 days out we're looking at nearly $500 flights. These prices are so high that I'm considering chartering a bus to get us to the tournament, which as you might imagine isn't ideal since the drive is something on the order of 15-17 hours. Is anyone else running into this issue of ridiculously expensive flights?
Jason Flowers
Quiz Bowl Coach
The Liberal Arts and Science Academy
Austin, TX
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

CavsFan2k10 wrote:
BG MSL Champs wrote:The same can be said for attractions, with Turner Field, the Georgia Aquarium, the CNN Center, Coca Cola World, and Centennial Olympic Park all being within walking distance.
Is Atlanta a very walkable city? The field is two miles from the hotel according to Mapquest. but some cities are either very walkable (such as cities in Europe) while others are not (sections of Pittsburgh, Seattle).
I really don't know if walking from the Hyatt to Turner Field would be a good idea. Google Maps says it's a 40-minute walk, and there aren't any Marta stations near the fields (it really is useless a lot of the time). I don't know what the state of the sidewalks would be on that route either. There's also the fact that Atlanta is apparently one of the most dangerous cities for pedestrians. Someone with more downtown ATL walking experience than me should weigh in.

I have walked in a group from the Hyatt to the Aquarium with no problem that I can recall (going from GT to the Aquarium was a little more interesting, though). Hyatt to the World of Coke, Centennial Olympic Park or the CNN Center should also be doable, based on the map.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

Cassian wrote:I've been getting quotes the last couple of days on flights to Atlanta from Austin, and even 60 days out we're looking at nearly $500 flights. These prices are so high that I'm considering chartering a bus to get us to the tournament, which as you might imagine isn't ideal since the drive is something on the order of 15-17 hours. Is anyone else running into this issue of ridiculously expensive flights?
When we got our tickets from SA to Atlanta, they were a little over 300 each... they are still 350ish looks like. Maybe drive down here?
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

CavsFan2k10 wrote:
I've got friends who live around there and I've walked by there before- it's possible to walk, but you probably wouldn't want to do it at night. The area immediately around the field is not the best.
Cassian wrote:I've been getting quotes the last couple of days on flights to Atlanta from Austin, and even 60 days out we're looking at nearly $500 flights. These prices are so high that I'm considering chartering a bus to get us to the tournament, which as you might imagine isn't ideal since the drive is something on the order of 15-17 hours. Is anyone else running into this issue of ridiculously expensive flights?
Perhaps see if other teams along the I-20 corridor would want to ride along as well? More realistically, it seems like SA and Houston are in the 350ish range still. You might also consider flying into Chattanooga or Birmingham.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Some quick trivia concerning the current 223 team field HSNCT field...

73 out of the 100 of Fred's April 27th HS QB Rankings are in attendence. Notable teams missing are #5 Hunter (NY), #12 Rockford Auburn (IL), #16 Alpharetta (GA), #19 Loyola Acad (IL) and #22 St. Anselm's (DC).

If the tourney follows average stats from the last 8 years, 85 teams (37.9%) will make playoffs, while 38 (17.0%) will go 7-3 or better in prelims.

84 are "new" teams....teams that have not participated in the HSNCT for the past 4 years.

(34 States are represented + Canada with 16 schools from GA, 15 from OH, & 10 from MN - not updated.)

Edit: Updated 4/28/11
Last edited by BroNi on Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:08 am, edited 5 times in total.
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Important Bird Area

The 208-team tournament field is now full (counting spots reserved for state champions). NAQT will continue to accept teams for a waitlist and will notify them promptly if a spot opens up; email us (hsnct [at] naqt.com) as soon as possible to secure a spot on the waitlist. Please feel free to contact NAQT for more information about the likelihood of a waitlist spot making it into the field.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

In years past, NAQT has almost always expanded the field in the weeks leading up to HSNCT. Is there any chance we will see that happen this year?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Important Bird Area

quizbowllee wrote:In years past, NAQT has almost always expanded the field in the weeks leading up to HSNCT. Is there any chance we will see that happen this year?
Unlikely, but not impossible. (We would like the field to be a multiple of 16 if we can.)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Carambola!
Lulu

Post by Carambola! »

This might not be the best place to post this, but having recently forgotten my NAQT login and password, is there any way of obtaining them somehow?
Jeffrey Li
Mission San Jose High '11
Berkeley '15

But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained.
Important Bird Area

Email Chad. (chad [at] naqt.com)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

CavsFan2k10 wrote:
Turner Field is not really walkable from downtown (safely) but there is a free Marta shuttle from Underground Atlanta (on the train lines) to and from the field if there's a game (Reds are in town that weekend).

Eric
Eric Grunden, Research Triangle High School/NCATA
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Obviously the preliminary card system will be altered slightly for the increased number of teams, but is the expectation that the playoff system will be the same to last year's, save the extra playoff teams? In short, is the bracket that I reverse-engineered after last year's HSNCT going to be usable for this year's playoffs?
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)

Important Bird Area

jonpin wrote:In short, is the bracket that I reverse-engineered after last year's HSNCT going to be usable for this year's playoffs?
Probably not. The card system produces a range of possible playoff field sizes, so we select a bracket from our files that matches the number of 6-4, 7-3, etc. teams based on the results Saturday.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

bt_green_warbler wrote:Shiny new field update, which now displays:

1) Running tally of teams registered (as I write this, 174 teams)

2) City and state for each team

3) Small school status

4) The current standby list
Cool! Any chance the MSNCT page will ever have such amenities?
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Important Bird Area

R. will eventually add the city and state listings (probably after ICT is over).

As for the rest:

-the field-counting gizmo is already there (as I write this: 23 teams registered for MSNCT)

-there is no middle school small-school title

-I don't think we have a standby list right now, but we'll post it once it exists
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

bt_green_warbler wrote:The 208-team tournament field is now full (counting spots reserved for state champions). NAQT will continue to accept teams for a waitlist and will notify them promptly if a spot opens up; email us (hsnct [at] naqt.com) as soon as possible to secure a spot on the waitlist. Please feel free to contact NAQT for more information about the likelihood of a waitlist spot making it into the field.
I emailed hsnct[at]naqt.com and I haven't heard anything back. Did Alpharetta make it onto the waitlist?
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
Important Bird Area

We got your email; I'm checking on your waitlist position right now.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

I have added the current waitlist to the original post.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

rchschem wrote:
CavsFan2k10 wrote:
Turner Field is not really walkable from downtown (safely) but there is a free Marta shuttle from Underground Atlanta (on the train lines) to and from the field if there's a game (Reds are in town that weekend).

Eric
Thanks. I knew the Reds were going to be in town so I was pondering the feasibility of myself going to the field.
Thomas Moore
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

bt_green_warbler wrote:2) City and state for each team
I know this will have little bearing on anything other than geography nuts having OCD, really, but even though Ladue Horton Watkins's mailing address is bafflingly for St. Louis, they are physically located in Ladue, a city that does not even border St. Louis.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Wow, St. James and Socastee in nationals? That's new. That's big for that area.
Joe
James Island '10
Important Bird Area

I am pleased to report that NAQT has expanded the 2011 HSNCT field to 216 teams.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

bt_green_warbler wrote:I am pleased to report that NAQT has expanded the 2011 HSNCT field to 216 teams.
Update: the field has now been expanded to 224 teams.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Edit April 29th: field updates will go in the original post
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Seems the hotel's out of rooms--anyone look into alternate sites yet? I know there are plenty of hotels in the area.
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

rchschem wrote:Seems the hotel's out of rooms--anyone look into alternate sites yet? I know there are plenty of hotels in the area.
Well that sucks. A search of the other hotels in the area isn't showing anything that's going to be less than 120-ish a night for 4 people. Stupid question, was the $85 for the group rate with or plus tax?

ETA: Ooh, correction, I found a decent rate elsewhere, that I missed earlier (stupid building shadows on Google maps), though it's one of those ones that requires pre-payment.
Jon Pinyan

t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

rchschem wrote:Seems the hotel's out of rooms--anyone look into alternate sites yet? I know there are plenty of hotels in the area.
I called them today; they reported that the rooms in the block offered at the special NAQT rate are all sold out, but there are plenty of rooms still available at regular rates.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

t-bar wrote:but there are plenty of rooms still available at regular rates.
The website LIES! I'll have to call. Thanks for the heads up.
mtimmons
Wakka

Post by mtimmons »

t-bar wrote:
I called them today; they reported that the rooms in the block offered at the special NAQT rate are all sold out, but there are plenty of rooms still available at regular rates.
http://naqt.com/hsnct/2011/details.html wrote: NAQT encourages teams to make their reservations as early as possible. It is not anticipated that the hotel will fill, but there is no guarantee that rooms will be available after May 13.
Does NAQT know why the hotel ran out of rooms at the special rate?

EDIT: Clarity.
Max Timmons
St. Paul Central High School 2012
MIT 2016
Important Bird Area

Our current understanding is that they are out of quad-occupancy rooms (the remaining rooms have, eg, one queen-size bed). We plan to announce an overflow hotel tomorrow.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad
Wakka

Post by Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad »

I bad situation that needs a quick and economical solution!
Gregory Schweers
County of Dallas
City of Irving
Cistercian Preparatory School Team
The only Monk on this whole board
jagluski
Wakka

Post by jagluski »

bt_green_warbler wrote:Our current understanding is that they are out of quad-occupancy rooms (the remaining rooms have, eg, one queen-size bed). We plan to announce an overflow hotel tomorrow.

The hotel block has been extended to add additional rooms as Jeff spoke about (i.e. rooms with one queen-size bed). The hotel is sold out of rooms with quad-occupancy. We are working on an overflow hotel, but nothing will be announced until early next week.

Thank you for your patience,

Joel Gluskin
Joel Gluskin
WUSTL '04
NAQT Vice President for Logistics
jlchockey94
Lulu

Post by jlchockey94 »

I think that the double-bedded rooms are still available, but you have to pay a lot more for them ($159 per night as opposed to $85). They come with some special perks, such as breakfast and free internet. So, if for some odd reason you really don't care about the price, there is a way to get the quad-occupancy rooms.
Jared Cowan
Georgetown Day School '12
Important Bird Area

I don't know why this is happening; we will be calling the hotel in the morning to sort things out.

In the meantime, note that the NAQT group rate already includes free internet (and there are a multitude of breakfast options within easy walking distance).
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Will there be a liveblog of HSNCT again this year?
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
jagluski
Wakka

Post by jagluski »

A Barehanded Telethon Mirth Gun wrote:Will there be a liveblog of HSNCT again this year?
We would like to have one; however, the person who operated the LiveBlog the last two years will not be attending the HSNCT this year. I am in the process of getting an email out to staff in the next week with several pieces of information, but one of the items in the email is to try to find a person or two interested in working on the LiveBlog.

If any staffers are reading this and would like to operate the LiveBlog, please send me an email.

Thanks,

Joel
Joel Gluskin
WUSTL '04
NAQT Vice President for Logistics
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

jagluski wrote:
A Barehanded Telethon Mirth Gun wrote:Will there be a liveblog of HSNCT again this year?
We would like to have one; however, the person who operated the LiveBlog the last two years will not be attending the HSNCT this year. I am in the process of getting an email out to staff in the next week with several pieces of information, but one of the items in the email is to try to find a person or two interested in working on the LiveBlog.

If any staffers are reading this and would like to operate the LiveBlog, please send me an email.
Last year, I relayed playoff scores to the liveblogger from the control room on Sunday, and I was definitely planning on doing that again. Worse comes to worse, there will be playoff score-posting (maybe on a page here?), even if no one is doing the liveblog. Presuming someone winds up doing a blog, whoever that is can just track me down, and I can send them scores Sunday.
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

jagluski wrote:however, the person who operated the LiveBlog the last two years will not be attending the HSNCT this year.

I would've loved to have done it again, but I finish up the last stage of my comprehensive exams the next week. I've got the password and such to the hsnct.wordpress.com address if anyone wants to use that site again.

Saturday is probably too hectic (and competent moderators in too great demand!) for any one person continually liveblogging it, but it'd work nicely to have a "host" or two or three to approve comments, pass on information, and maybe liveblog a match if they have the time. Sunday's really the ideal day for a dedicated blogger since all you have to do is set up in the room that'll last the longest and blog furiously.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

To change the subject a bit, it would be really cool if NAQT could put the time that each round is supposed to start on the cards. Last year my team forgot how long was allocated for each round and how long lunch was, leaving us confused as to whether we should sit in the lobby or run to our next room.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Similarly, posting the schedule online after the event starts would be rad.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Important Bird Area

Joe N wrote:To change the subject a bit, it would be really cool if NAQT could put the time that each round is supposed to start on the cards. Last year my team forgot how long was allocated for each round and how long lunch was, leaving us confused as to whether we should sit in the lobby or run to our next room.
We don't do this because it will cause confusion as soon as rounds start running late.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Will there be a Twitter feed for this event? #justcurious
Thomas Moore
Important Bird Area

CavsFan2k10 wrote:Will there be a Twitter feed for this event? #justcurious
Yes, we'll be posting regular updates here.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Good news everyone! There will be a liveblog at the HSNCT again. As with past years, the blog (with various pre-tournament shenanigans as well) can be located at http://hsnct.wordpress.com/. If you have any recommendations of what you guys want included, let me know.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food