Livingston HS March Madness Academic Tournament - NAQT

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Guybo
Wakka

Livingston HS March Madness Academic Tournament - NAQT

Post by Guybo »

Hello fellow Quizbowlers!

We are preparing to host the 3rd annual Livingston March Madness NAQT Tournament on Saturday, March 26, 2011. The time has come to start preparing to register!

The tournament will run from approximately 8:30 to about 5 PM. Depending on the number of teams entered, the format will be about 5 to 7 round robin preliminary games followed by a single elimination playoff series for the top 16 teams as well as a consolation bracket for the next 16 teams. We will be using the NAQT IS-100 set. The registration will cost $80 per team and $70 per additional team. A $10 discount will be provided for each buzzer system and $15 for EXPERIENCED moderators provided (max $35 discount per school). The number of teams able to enter will depend on the number of buzzer systems and moderators available. In past years we have had approximately 42 teams and we can most likely accomadate a max of 49 teams (assuming 7 brackets of 7 teams). As we did last year, a fabulous bagel/juice/coffee breakfast will be provided for everyone. We will also be selling food throughout the day and ordering pizzas for lunch.

Please let us know if you will be able to attend as soon as possible by email. Enclosed, you will find an introductory letter and a registration form. As soon as you know you will be attending, please email or send the forms back to us. Our email is [email protected] which you can use for further inquires. This site will be updated periodically with field updates. We hope to see you all on March 26.

Livingston High School is located at 30 Robert H. Harp Drive Livingston, NJ 07039-2634.

Regards,

Govind Ramagopal, Team Captain
Guy Rabner, Team advisor
Livingston HS Academic Team
Attachments
March Madness NAQT Registration.doc
Registration form
(109.5 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
Guy Rabner
Spanish and Italian teacher
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
Edward Powers
Auron

Re: Livingston HS March Madness Academic Tournament - NAQT

Post by Edward Powers »

We would love to come, but we cannot---we already heard IS 100 at the Delaware Fall Tournament at Wilmington Charter on December 18th. Nevertheless, we naturally wish you well with your annual "March Madness".
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Bergen expects to bring 2 teams and 2 buzzer systems. I personally won't be able to make it, so we can't bring any mods.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
WSchneider
Lulu

Post by WSchneider »

Kings Park will almost certainly bring 2 teams, with potential for a third... One Moderator, one buzzer. Our coach will send an email sometime within the next week or two.
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
The Infanta
Wakka

Post by The Infanta »

I can mod for this.
Marisol Brady (they/them)
Kellenberg Memorial HS '09
University of Delaware '1X
urbanpf
Lulu

Post by urbanpf »

Guy, Millburn HS will have two teams & two buzzers

Peter Urban
Head Coach/Advisor
Millburn HS
Peter Urban
Coach In Retirement
Millburn High School
Millburn, NJ 07041
chiajx
Kimahri

Post by chiajx »

Glenrock High School here, expect at least 2 teams with high chance of 3 teams joining. Can provide a buzzer set.

Thanks very much!

Regards,
Jonathan Chia
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

A reminder to all that the Livingston HS tournament is this Saturday and we currently have a field of 32 teams. Unless we can get 6 more teams by Saturday field is closed.

Here are the teams attending so far:

Bergen County Academies 3
Bloomfield 2
North Babylon 1
Jonathan Dayton 2
Millburn 2
High Point 2
Colonia 1
Phillipsburg 2
Chatham 3
MAST 3
East Brunswick 2
Friends Academy 1
Seton Hall Prep 2
Mainland Regional 2
Passaic Valley Regional 2
Nutley 1
Westfield 1

If there are any errors with this list please reply to [email protected] to let us know as soon as possible. Thanks.
Last edited by Guybo on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Guy Rabner
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

SHP will be there. Two or three teams, one moderator, four buzzers.
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

Field updated. About 33 teams. Check updated field for accuracy, please. Ideally, we'd like to get up to 35 teams so that we could have 5 groups of 7 teams and, then, have 6 prelim rounds and a guarantee of at least 1 playoff round for almost everyone. Depends a lot on everyone arriving on time (by 8:30 at LATEST) so that we can start round 1 by 9 AM. Any other takers out there?

Updated Friday, March 11.
Guy Rabner
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

Field updated today, Sunday, above. At this point, unless we can get to 42 teams, I am going to close all entries. If you do have any last minute aspirations and are not yet entered, email me and I'll see what I can do. If we have any drops, please let us know ASAP as I'd prefer to let any team that wants to participate do so. As everyone who has run a tournament can attest to, last minute drops or no shows wreak havoc on making brackets, etc.

We will do the brackets this week. Hopefully all can make sure they get there by 8:30 so we can start round 1 promptly at 9 so we can get the matches in (we're thinking 6 prelims + at least 1 playoff for almost everyone) and have the tournament done by around 5:00.
Guy Rabner
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

Turns out that we have a drop so we are down to 34 teams. We're looking to get up to 36 teams to make the brackets even and doable. Any last minute entries?
Guy Rabner
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

I just emailed you, but BCA can move up to three teams if you need/want us to.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)

ChathamNJ
Wakka

Post by ChathamNJ »

If there's still room, Chatham would like to add a third team. You should receive a message from one of our students at your team gmail account.
Stephen Fineman
Academic Team Advisor, Chatham HS (NJ)
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

36 teams. Field set above. Nice round number. Those teams participating should get a final email from us by today or tomorrow with a schedule and more info. If you don't receive one, email me with any questions.
Last edited by Guybo on Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy Rabner
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

If any of the teams coming to this competition are looking for one in about 3 weeks on a different (possibly even more accessible) HSAPQ set, i implore you to drive just a couple hours to Dover, Delaware for Rider Bowl II on April 16th. Check out more information here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10960

Sorry to hijack this thread, but, man, we've only got 3 teams signed up right now (despite my large mailing list and repeated messages) and our tournament may be in trouble...
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

A HS with 3 teams dropped today (2 days before tournament) so we now have a few spots available if anyone is interested last minute.
Guy Rabner
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

So we are now down to 32 teams with 5 teams dropping out today. This will require us to reevaluate brackets. Perhaps we can do more prelim games... will discuss with my team over the next 36 hours and let everyone know by Saturday AM. Want to maximize games for everyone but also don't want to keep everyone there too late.

Not to go too much off topic but with 2 schools and 5 total teams dropping today, I wanted to open up this thread to the question of ethics of dropping a team late in the game. I'm not sure if there is a thread for this sort of topic on this forum but since this has affected our tournament, I figured this could be an appropriate place to discuss it. As all those who have run a tournament know (and others who understand the predicament), last minute drops can wreak havoc on a draw, which it has us. I'm well aware that most quiz bowl kids are heavily involved in lots of things and usually have incredibly busy schedules. Quiz bowl is clearly a challenging and fun activity which kids like to do but not something that greatly affects kids' futures like some other commitments. At the same time, as a coach for the past 11 years, I have NEVER had to drop a team from any tournament and have preached committment to all those who decide they want to go to a tournament. Of course, there are last minute emergencies, sicknesses, etc. at the last second occassionally but I've never had to entirely drop a team.

One of the team's coaches emailed me late this afternoon to tell me that their teams have dropped out with an email to the effect of "none of my kids can go. We're dropping. We want our money back". No apology, no nothing. My question is this: at what point should teams be responsible to not only attend but, if they have to drop, be required to pay their registration fees? Also, I realize that kids drop and don't necesarily understand committment to this, but at what point does the blame be put on the student(s) for bailing and at what point on the coach for not making sure that his kids are absolutely committed? I'm not sure exactly where the "quiz bowl code of ethics" falls here. All I know is that I was irritated and I'm not sure to what extent I have a right to be. Should this team be responsible to pay its entry fee or should it be returned? Not sure what to do here. If there is no clear cut policy on at what point (week before tournament, 3 days before, etc.) teams should be responsible to pay their registration fee even if they have to drop, should there be one? If so, at what point?

This being said, I hope that all those teams that are committed and coming (field updated above) to our tournament on Saturday have a great time and really enjoy our tournament. We work very hard to try for everyone to have a good time, get challenging play in and leave satisfied for the experience. We'd be happy to take any suggestions. Run with it.
Guy Rabner
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Any results or stats?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Final 4 ...

MAST d. East Brunswick
SHP d. Mill burn

Finals: SHP d. MAST

I will let Guy post more.
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
West Orange, NJ
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

Indeed, thanks Mike. Here is MORE. Stats and playoff bracket.

http://lhs2011marchmadness.site90.com/2 ... dings.html

Thanks everyone for coming to our tournament. My hope is that all who participated had a good experience. THere are inevitable delays but all considered I think things went smoothly. We got 8 guaranteed games for all teams and STILL were done with playoffs by 5:30. I was happy to be home at 6 and able to have dinner with my family!

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments. Hope to see everyone back next year!
Guy Rabner
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Very well run. With two additional prelim rounds added due to last minute drops, several of us were worried about the finish time. However, the rounds progressed smoothly and on time and I heard nothing but positive comments from my students about the staff and moderators.
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
West Orange, NJ
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

That site does not appear to be working now. Email me the SQBS file and I'll be happy to post it on naqt.com.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

Should be working now.
Guy Rabner
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Guy,

Do you have playoff stats?
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
West Orange, NJ
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

They didn't do Playoff stats, unfortunately.
Guy Rabner
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Given Coach Z's comment above about the Semi's and Finals, I assume the playoffs were single elimination? If so, were the Top 16 or the Top 8 placed into the Championship playoffs? Finally, does anyone have scores for those playoff matches, since official stats for the playoffs were not kept?
Last edited by Edward Powers on Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Ed,

The bracket for the top-16 single elimination playoff is attached to the prelim stats. (click "bracket")
I do not know the score of the Chatham game (no score posted) but I think the final round was something like 400-150.
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
West Orange, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Michael,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately when I click the "bracket" link, all I get is gibberish. My computer is unable to translate the encoded data. But thanks anyway. See you at Princeton.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Edward Powers wrote:Michael,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately when I click the "bracket" link, all I get is gibberish. My computer is unable to translate the encoded data. But thanks anyway. See you at Princeton.
It's probably because it's the newer Excel format.

Octofinals
(1) SHP-A 505, (16) MAST-C 20
(9) Bergen-A 335, (8) Mainland-B 95
(5) Mill-A 360, (12) SHP-B 80
(4) Bergen-B 260, (13) Westfield 170
(3) MAST-A 265, (14) EBrun-B 210
(6) NBabylon 330, (11) Mill-B 105
(10) Mainland-A def (7) Chatham-A
(2) EBrun-A 450, (15) Bergen-C 0

Quarterfinals
SHP-A 330, Bergen-A 275
Mill-A 290, Bergen-B 210
MAST-A 280, NBabylon 135
EBrun-A 365, Mainland-A 145

Semifinals
SH Prep 460, Millburn 165
MAST 315, E Brunswick 285

Championship
Seton Hall Prep def MAST [no score shown]
Jon Pinyan