PSAT/NMSQT @ St. Anselm's Abbey School (3/12/2011)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

PSAT/NMSQT @ St. Anselm's Abbey School (3/12/2011)

Post by Kouign Amann »

This is a preliminary announcement for the Peter Samp memorial Academic Tournament/a New, Monastery-Situated Quizbowl Tournament, which will take place at St. Anselm's Abbey School on Saturday, March 12, 2011.

Questions will be house-written by the quizbowl teams of St. Anselm's and Torrey Pines High School of San Diego, CA. Tossups will be 6 lines in 10 pt. TNR, and we are aiming for just about the difficulty of a vendor set. Some questions will be harder, and some will be easier, but we hope to achieve balance in the end. The distribution is

4/4 Lit
4/4 Science
4/4 History
2.5/2.5 Fine Arts
2.5/2.5 RMP
1/1 Social Science
1/1 Geo
1/1 Other/Trash

We will be seeking mirrors in all areas of the country. Email me if you are interested. The first day on which the set will be available is February 5, 2011. We are open to delayed mirrors. Mirror fees are currently being discussed.

Auroni Gupta will be assisting us in editing some of this set.

At this point, due to the small size of our team and our school building itself, we are tentatively capping the field at 16 teams. For each outside staffer we are promised (hi chrz), we will expand the field by two teams, up to a theoretical maximum of 32 teams, which is all that we could support in usable classrooms.

Fees will be $70 for each team, with $10 off for each moderator or buzzer. We will be happy to work out travel discounts on a case-by-case basis, and we hope that teams from other regions will consider coming to D.C. to play what we are striving to make one of the marquee sets of next year. Just to pique everyone's interest, I will say that Southside and Seven Lakes have already expressed interest in doing so. If you really want to register this early, you can email me.

Further details will be announced sometime in the next nine months.
Last edited by Kouign Amann on Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Re: PSAT/NMSQT @ St. Anselm's Abbey School (3/12/2011)

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

As long as UD's Blue Hen Invitational doesn't conflict with this, of course we'll come.

I'm glad to see that this tournament is officially happening. I'm sure the set will be great.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
pleasewalkforward
Wakka

Post by pleasewalkforward »

In case anyone was wondering, just under one quarter of the set has been written.
Arsonists Get All the Girls wrote:This is the greatest pair of acronymns ever chosen for a tournament.
Making up acronyms is one of the most fun (and most labor-intensive) parts of running a tournament.
Jacob Lawrence Wasserman
Saint Anselm's Abbey School, '12
Yale University, '16
University of California, Los Angeles, '19
Former Treasurer and Member, Yale Student Academic Competitions
Former Secretary, Staff Recruitment Volunteer, and Member, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

If anyone wants to talk about their acronym-making related misadventures, please go here.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
Bloodwych
Wakka

Post by Bloodwych »

I can't imagine that we won't be coming to this. Placeholder until I can confirm.
🚿
Quince Orchard HS '11
Maryland - College Park '15

Well, you built up a world of magic
Because your real life is tragic
Yeah, you built up a world of magic
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

Grayson is really considering using this set for gcat.
It could be a nice mirror for the Kentucky/Nashville area.

Do you know how many rounds this will include?
We were thinking of a 11-12 round tournament, but I asume the set will include about that many.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

We are planning on producing 13 packets.
Aidan Mehigan
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

After monitoring our progress over the summer, I have come to the conclusion that Jacob and I will not be able to finish writing this tournament on time without assistance.

If you are interested in assuming a major role in the production of history or RMP questions for this set, please email me.

I would still like to pass off head-editing duties to someone more qualified than I am. If you are interested, please email me.
Aidan Mehigan
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

I am pleased to announce that the set for this tournament is being merged with the set Torrey Pines is producing for this tournament. I believe that the combination of these two sets will result in an extremely high-quality product that can be played in as many areas of the country as possible. This merger will also ease the workload on both teams and ensure that the tournament is completed in a very timely manner. We at St. Anselm's look forward to working closely with everyone over at Torrey Pines, and we hope that the general quizbowl community will enjoy and benefit from our joint effort.
Aidan Mehigan
Auron

This will still result in about the same difficulty you were shooting for, correct? Keep it in check, fellas...
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

This will in fact probably result in a decreased difficulty, as Torrey Pines has been writing with many exclusively Academic League-playing teams in mind. That should balance out nicely with my original goal of slightly over a regular set, and things will be just right.

Also, I am told Auroni Gupta will be assuming some editing duties for this set, which should also help everything be smooth.
Aidan Mehigan
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

bump
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
Criticizing your philosophy and social science writing since 2010.
duPont Manual HS '12
UNC Chapel Hill '16 (VP of the Carlolina Academic Team)
[email protected]
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

SoLegit12 wrote:bump
Is there something you would like to know?
Aidan Mehigan
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

I wrote it on your facebook wall. For your convenience, I'll paste it.

Do you guys have all the packets written for PSAT? duPont Manual is interested in mirroring this.
If you don't have all the packets done, I will help, if you want. I am good at social sciences, history, visual arts, R and P.
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
duPont Manual HS '12
[email protected]
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Looking at Google Maps, Manual seems to be close-ish to Ohio, where we already have a mirror planned at Copley High School, run by Saajid Moyen. If he doesn't think that you running another eastern midwest-ish mirror would hurt his field, then you could probably use the set too. Get his approval, and then talk to me.
Aidan Mehigan
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

Where are mirrors planned as of late? Can you please post a list?
And Copley is 6 hours away, unless I have the wrong place. That seems far for many teams, seeing as it isn't a nationals-caliber tournament (yet).
I'll talk to him.
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
duPont Manual HS '12
[email protected]
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Sites:
Torrey Pines, CA (February 5th)
Millburn, NJ (Weekday during week of February 5th)
Copley, OH (March 5th)
St. Anselm's, DC (March 12th)
NIU, IL (Late Apri singles event)
Seven Lakes, TX (Spring Break NASAT Camp)
Last edited by Kouign Amann on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Aidan Mehigan
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

SoLegit12 wrote:Where are mirrors planned as of late? Can you please post a list?
And Copley is 6 hours away, unless I have the wrong place. That seems far for many teams, seeing as it isn't a nationals-caliber tournament (yet).
I'll talk to him.
It would be very difficult for us to get to Copley and not very difficult to get to DuPont Manuel. I imagine the same would apply for other southern/western Ohio teams and teams in Kentucky. Someone from Kentucky, perhaps Danville, mentioned on the Ohio forum they might be using these questions for an April tournament, however. I'm not sure if they've changed their plans.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

It was Grayson, and I'm pretty sure they have. I'll talk to them
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
duPont Manual HS '12
[email protected]
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

We have changed our plans as far as questions go.
We may host a tournament in the Spring, but it will probably be on an HSAPQ set.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

At this point, we have the Kentucky rights. I'm starting to talk to Saajid, but I don't think a Manual mirror would be a problem, as it would be on a different date and market more to KY, TN, and Ohio teams 4 hrs away from Copley.
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
duPont Manual HS '12
[email protected]
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Per some requests, we have created a sample packet for this tournament. It is attached below.
Attachments
Sample Packet - TP+SA.doc
(72 KiB) Downloaded 630 times
Aidan Mehigan
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

The leadin about how the Clarinet imitates birds in the Quartet for the End of Time is not sufficiently disambiguated from the other instrument (violin) that depict birds in the Quartet for the End of Time.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

Perhaps this shouldn't/doesn't matter but it seems you have 3 science questions in the first five tossups, and 4 history questions in the second "quarter" (6-10) of bonuses. Just something to think about.
Nick
sharadmv
Lulu

Post by sharadmv »

everything was done randomly
Sharad Vikram
Torrey Pines '11
Berkeley '15
Creator of Quizbowl DB: http://www.quizbowldb.com
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

When we finish the set, we'll look through it to avoid those kinds of problems.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

We're still hammering out some final details, but I anticipate sending out the official announcement for this tournament sometime this week. As stated previously, the field here may be rather small for a DC-area tournament. For that reason, we encourage teams to register as early as possible; we would hate to see any good teams shut out of competition by quizbowl-endemic laziness in registration.

To register, email me at [email protected]. Posts in this thread do not constitute registration; you must email me.
Aidan Mehigan
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Official announcement:

This is the official announcement for the PSAT/NMSQT (Peter Samp memorial Academic Tournament/A New, Monastery-Situated Quizbowl Tournament), a high school academic quizbowl tournament to be hosted by the quizbowl team of St. Anselm’s Abbey School on Saturday, March 12, 2011. This tournament is open to any high school team that wishes to attend.

This tournament will take place at St. Anselm’s Abbey School, in northeast Washington, DC. The exact address is 4501 South Dakota Avenue NE, Washington, DC, 20017.

PARKING: Parking is available in either of the two lots on school grounds.

TIMES: Registration will run from 8:15 to 8:45. An opening meeting will then follow, with the goal of starting Round 1 as soon as possible after 8:45. Teams arriving after 8:45 run the risk of forfeiting their first game.

AFFILIATION: This tournament seek affiliation with the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence and will be an opportunity to qualify for the National Scholastics Championship (http://www.pace-nsc.org), which is run by PACE and will occur in June, 2011 at Northwestern University.

QUESTIONS: The questions will be written by members of the St. Anselm’s team, with assistance from Torrey Pines High School of San Diego, CA and Bellarmine College Prep of San Jose, CA.

The questions will follow a modified ACF format; that is, games of 20 tossups with 30-point bonuses, untimed. A sample packet may be found at download/file.php?id=251. The questions will be distributed for free in electronic format at the end of the academic year.

FORMAT: The field is temporarily capped at 18 teams due to staffing limitations. For each competent outside moderator we are promised, we will expand that cap by two teams, up to a theoretical maximum of 30, the most we can support in usable classrooms.

A format will be devised when we have a clearer picture of how many staffers and teams will be in attendance. All teams will be offered a minimum of 9 games in any format, should they desire to play them. Trophies will be awarded to the top three teams, and book prizes will be awarded to the top eight individual scorers.

REGISTRATION AND FEES:
-The fee structure is as follows:
Base fee: $70 per team. Due to the small field size, we are temporarily limiting schools to two teams each for this event. If you are interested in bringing more than two teams, please indicate as such in your registration, and we will add them to a wait-list and allow them into the field later on if there is enough space.
Buzzer discount: $5 off school's total fee for each fully functional system (i.e., control box and eight activators all work). We encourage schools to bring as many sets as possible.
Staffer discount: $10 off school's total fee. This could be a coach or student who is not playing. Volunteer staffers must stay through all the games (except finals) in order to receive credit for their school.
Travel discount: For teams travelling to the tournament from out-of-town, we will be happy to work out travel discounts on a case-by-case basis.

-To register, e-mail Aidan Mehigan at [email protected] (preferably with something about “quizbowl” and/or “tournament” in the subject line) with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you want to bring, and an email address where you can be contacted with details. We also ask that all teams provide a cell phone number by which they can be contacted on the day of the tournament in the case of emergencies. You should receive prompt confirmation of your registration. Feel free to share this announcement with any schools that you think would be interested in attending. There is no further registration form or other action needed on your part in order to be officially registered; you only need to e-mail Aidan at that address with the information requested.

Posts in this thread do not constitute registration; you must email Aidan.

METHOD OF PAYMENT: All teams must pay by the day of the tournament. We prefer to accept payment in person right before the tournament starts, but we will accept checks by mail ahead of time if your procedures require it. We can accept cash, personal checks, or checks from school, school district, or quizbowl club funds. We have no ability to process purchase orders, credit cards, Paypal, or any other forms of payment; please do not bring them to the tournament expecting them to be accepted.

Unless special arrangements are made with the tournament director beforehand, any team that has not paid by the day of the tournament will be charged a $25 late fee and will have two weeks to pay in full before we start mailing letters to their school administration about it.

Please make checks payable to “St. Anselm’s Abbey School,” with “Quizbowl” on the memo line. If you require a pre-tournament invoice in order to have a check cut, let us know as soon as possible so that we can send you the paperwork in time.

TEAM & ROSTER SIZE: There may be a maximum of six players on one team's roster, up to four of whom may play at one time. There will be no exceptions to this rule. If you bring more than six players, you must register a second team to have all of them play. There will be a halftime substitution opportunity in each game. Each player may appear on only one team's roster throughout the day - no switching from the B team to the A team, etc. Teams may also play shorthanded if necessary.

FOOD: Neither breakfast nor lunch will be provided at this tournament. Directions to local eateries will be supplied. Due to a dearth of walking-distance food options, we will be offering teams the opportunity to order pizza for lunch.

Please e-mail me if you have any further questions. We’re looking forward to seeing a wide variety of teams from DC and surrounding states on March 12

Aidan Mehigan,
Tournament Director
Last edited by Kouign Amann on Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aidan Mehigan
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Field Post

SCHOOL - TEAMS - BUZZERS - STAFFERS
Richard Montgomery - 2 - 1 - 1
Thomas Jefferson - 5 - 1 - 0
Quince Orchard - 1 - 1 - 0
Robinson - 1 - 1 - 1
Maggie Walker - 1 - 0 - 0
Georgetown Day - 1 - 3 - 0
Centennial - 4 - 2 - 1
Longfellow - 1 - 1 - 0
Gonzaga - 1 - 0 - 1
Baltimore Poly - 2 - 1 - 1
Marshall - 1 - 1 - 0
Walter Johnson - 1 - 0 - 0
George Mason - 1 - 0 - 0
Clover Hill - 1 - 2 - 0
Kellenberg - 1 - 2 - 1

TOTALS - 24 - 16 - 6

Wait list:

Current field cap: 24 - maxed out due to new staff limitations
Last edited by Kouign Amann on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 28 times in total.
Aidan Mehigan
Auron

Okay, i know we can almost certainly come to this with 4 good players, so i'm registering us now. Expect an e-mail.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

We are registering for this. You can count us in for 2 teams. We can bring 5 buzzers if that will help expand the field.
Joe
Delaware
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Unfortunately, St. Joe's has to withdraw---I just learned that all of my Juniors will be taking the SAT on the 12th---half of each of my two teams---so we would not be very competitive. Sorry! But we naturally hope that your tournament is a great success.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
JamesIV
Lulu

Post by JamesIV »

Aidan, as I mentioned to you yesterday at TJ, I'm hoping we can bring a B-Team (if there's enough interest, a C-Team is not totally impossible), but I have to talk to our coach before I can commit to anything. I'll try to get in touch with you as soon as I can to let you know. Many thanks,

Spencer
Spencer J. Weinreich
Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School, Class of 2011
Yale University, Class of 2015
University of Oxford, Class of 2017
JamesIV
Lulu

Post by JamesIV »

Also, I noticed that the sample packet doesn't have powers, will this be true of the tournament sets?

Thanks,
Spence
Spencer J. Weinreich
Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School, Class of 2011
Yale University, Class of 2015
University of Oxford, Class of 2017
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

JamesIV wrote:Also, I noticed that the sample packet doesn't have powers, will this be true of the tournament sets?

Thanks,
Spence
The tournament set has been powermarked since its first use at Torrey Pines.
Aidan Mehigan
Auron

I just wanted to give you a heads up, that even though i have looked forward to this tournament for like 9 months, there is a good chance CR now can't go.

If our NAQT state championship is going to be held March 19th (as i've been hearing and was just informed of a few days ago), and Blue Hen is March 26th... i just can't commit to three weekends in a row, not this year and certainly not at this time of year. And, to me, it's more important to take kids to tournaments where i can take a busload (i'll take 4-5 teams to each of those) than ones where i just take the A Team... so, well, there you have it.

if i can find a way to get the kids to come to this without me, i will, but i'll have to run that by them instead and find a super generous parent which is usually very hard.

Sorry. I'll give an official answer as soon as i can.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

I will be going on a retreat from tomorrow morning until Sunday night, during which time I will be completely incommunicado with the outside world.

For that reason, the whole "You should receive prompt confirmation of your registration" clause is going to have to take a short break. I would like to apologize in advance to anyone whose plans-making for this tournament will be affected by my inability to respond quickly to inquiries.
Aidan Mehigan
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

At this point, I will allow schools to register more than three teams. Affected parties on the wait-list should expect an email shortly.
Aidan Mehigan
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

In solidarity with HSAPQ, and in keeping with what I'm sure is the general sentiment of the quizbowl community, I have decided to bar Dimitri Halikias from this tournament and all future tournaments for which I am responsible. Other players from BCC will be allowed to enter and play normally.
Aidan Mehigan
Saffords
Kimahri

Post by Saffords »

Walter Johnson will be there .

Stuart Safford
WJ Quizbowl/It's Ac etc.
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Sarah informs me that I'll be on Spring Break the Saturday of this tournament. Do you guys need an extra staffer?
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Cernel Joson wrote:Sarah informs me that I'll be on Spring Break the Saturday of this tournament. Do you guys need an extra staffer?
The answer to that question is always yes! We'd love to have all the staffers we can get.
Aidan Mehigan
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

All the usual suspects seem to be signed up, so I'm tentatively going to cap the field at 24 teams, pending a glut of registrations this week taking us up to another nice number.

EDIT: We've had a number of outside staffers drop in the past few days, so the cap will remain at 24 teams. Any more signing up this week will be placed on a waitlist.
Aidan Mehigan
jlchockey94
Lulu

Post by jlchockey94 »

GDS is going to bring only 1 team and 3 buzzer systems, instead of one and four.
Jared Cowan
Georgetown Day School '12
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Aidan Mehigan
Auron

I wonder what the highest PPB for an E Team is an any tournament. TJ E has got to be up there at over 17PPB.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

When I left, Gov was playing TJ B in an advantaged final. RM was 3rd, George Mason was 4th, TJ A was 5th, GDS was 6th, WJ was 7th, and Kellenberg was 8th. I think...
Kuo-Kai Chin
Walter Johnson High School '11
Harvard University '15
Stanford University School of Medicine '19
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Playoff STAAAAATS

Stats note: Centennial's teams left at lunch. The four teams remaining in bottom bracket played a double round robin so that everyone still got six playoff games.
Stats note 2: For a variety of reasons, which I will explain shortly, this tournament started breaking up before it was actually over, so there were some forfeits at the end.

Congratulations to Maggie Walker for winning the inaugural PSAT/NMSQT by defeating TJ B in the first game of an advantaged final.

I'd like to thank all teams who came out today, and I hope y'all had fun. I would like to apologize to all teams in the second and third brackets for the great delays they experienced at the end of the day. For reasons I haven't quite figured out yet, the top bracket was about a round and a half ahead of them, so the finals had been over for an hour by the time they finished up. Sorry about that; one of these days I'll figure out the whole "efficient tournament directing" thing.

I'd also like to thank all the outside staffers who made this tournament possible: Br. Nigel, Fr. Meehan, Mr. Campana, Mr. Seifter, Mrs. Reback, Mr. Todaro, Harry White, Matt Jackson, Matt Bollinger, Spence Weinreich, and Marc Sella. Of course, thanks to everyone at St. Anselm's who helped out. You made my job much easier.

As I've mentioned to various people, I wasn't super-happy how the set turned out, and I know what I could've done better. I think I know the general form most feedback will take, but I'd love to hear specifics at [email protected]. Please bear in mind that the set will not be up for public discussion for quite some time.
Aidan Mehigan
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

I would also like to apologize to anyone I exploded at Donald Taylor-style while I was trying to figure out why I was getting scoresheets for three separate rounds at the same time. I didn't intend for that to happen, but I think it did.
Aidan Mehigan
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

Great job to Aidan and everyone involved with running the tournament! Very well-run. As for the set, I had no problems with it. It was a bit on the easy side, and I feel that the easiness was sort of forced at time, especially with the bonuses, but besides that I enjoyed the set quite a bit.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl