DC/MD/VA Date Claim '10-'11

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Re: DC/MD/VA Date Claim '10-'11

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Awesome. Thanks, guys, for the quick response. Just trying to plan out the next semester. We'll see you then!
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

Frater Taciturnus wrote: January 23: VCU Winter Tournament (Richmond, Virginia) (VCU/Vandy)
With this being less than a month away, is it still happening? I don't think that a formal announcement has been made yet.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

waddle1 wrote:
Frater Taciturnus wrote: January 23: VCU Winter Tournament (Richmond, Virginia) (VCU/Vandy)
With this being less than a month away, is it still happening? I don't think that a formal announcement has been made yet.
George told me yesterday that they are getting rooms from either Gov or Collegiate, and that they have to wait until this week to find out which.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Sorry for all the jumping around- but the final resting place for the Maggie Walker BATE mirror will be 5/14.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Auron

Is UMCP planning on hosting another house-written Spring Tournament in late-May this year again (presumably the 21st)? No Halldor Laxness questions this time.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

waddle1 wrote:
This is indeed still happening and has since been announced. Hopefully someone from W&M can come by and tell us if their HS tournament the next weekend is happening.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote: No Halldor Laxness questions this time.
Nah I'd be chill with that.

Also, RM is planning on hosting a spring tournament, I'll let you know the date hopefully this week, but it will probably be a Sunday in April.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

RM would like to lay claim to May 21 (somewhat tentatively for now) for a mirror of Yale's tournament.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
joel22
Lulu

Post by joel22 »

Blair would like to claim March 19th for a WUHSAC mirror. A full announcement will come by early next week.
Joel Muskin-Pierret
Washington University in St. Louis '14
Montgomery Blair High School '10
Algeria
Lulu

Post by Algeria »

TJ would like to change the date for our housewrite to 3/20, rather than 4/9. Circumstances arose which forced us to plan on changing the date to the weekend of 3/19-3/20 before we heard of Blair's plans... unfortunately, there's no other date between now and mid-May that can work for us.

Full tournament announcement will be posted shortly.
Diana - TJ '11, Wellesley '15
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Pending administration approval, RM would like to move ARMY NAVY from 5/21 to 4/9. Chris Ray is planning on hosting the Maryland spring tournament on 5/21.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

UD will run Blue Hen at some point this spring, with more details to follow.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

"I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities. But I've forgotten what it is. I have it written down at home somewhere." - David Byrne
Auron

mastaloo wrote:UD will run Blue Hen at some point this spring, with more details to follow.
A date would be wonderful! A lot are being claimed so it looks like we'll have to skip something to attend, so find out the date as soon as you can.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Fortunately, I think that Blue Hen is going to fall on 3/5, so there shouldn't be any conflicts.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

"I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities. But I've forgotten what it is. I have it written down at home somewhere." - David Byrne
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

As already noted by Ray, we're going to be hosting our house-written spring set on May 21st. The Halldor Laxness distribution has been replaced with 2/2 Haukur Palsson per packet.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
jlchockey94
Lulu

Post by jlchockey94 »

mastaloo wrote:Fortunately, I think that Blue Hen is going to fall on 3/5, so there shouldn't be any conflicts.
Hunter's Prison Bowl is on 3/5, which would certainly be a conflict. GDS has already registered for Prison Bowl, which would make attempting to defend Matt Jackson's Blue Hen title and returning the trophy quite difficult… Also, we would like to attend each tournament just to play more quizbowl.
Jared Cowan
Georgetown Day School '12
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Whoops, I only looked at this date claim. I'll try my best to move it to 4/9, since that appears to be open on both boards.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Auron

So far, that's a conflict for literally one team.

Interestingly, that very same team, GDS, has said in another thread that it would be unable to attend tournaments on April 9th as well... this also applies to Walter Johnson and St. Anselm's. See here, starting at this point in the thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11061#p207974

As it turns out, March 5th is your best bet.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Looking at the field for Prison Bowl, though, it seems that quite a few local teams are either heading up or are interested in going. Would 4/23 work?
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Auron

mastaloo wrote:Looking at the field for Prison Bowl, though, it seems that quite a few local teams are either heading up or are interested in going. Would 4/23 work?
That's the first weekend of our (and many other schools') Spring Break - it is also the day before Easter - and we would not be able to attend.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
jlchockey94
Lulu

Post by jlchockey94 »

April 23 would work for GDS, but I think that we are (once again) not representative of what would be the majority of your field. I think that the "day before Easter" question has been debated in the past: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8379&p=163076. Matt Weiner eventually decided not to host a tournament on the day before Easter.
Jared Cowan
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

jlchockey94 wrote:April 23 would work for GDS, but I think that we are (once again) not representative of what would be the majority of your field. I think that the "day before Easter" question has been debated in the past: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8379&p=163076. Matt Weiner eventually decided not to host a tournament on the day before Easter.
Well, in way I guess thats true? VCU moved our tournament because that was when all the high schools seemed to be having spring break, not because of the DAY BEFORE EASTER (cue thundercrack in background)
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

RM is planning on moving into April 9th, much to the chagrin of GDS, St. Anselm's, and WJ. We'll have that official by tomorrow.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Auron

Why the dearth of tournaments in January and February? That might have alleviated a lot of the problems here.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:Why the dearth of tournaments in January and February? That might have alleviated a lot of the problems here.
We can't run a winter tournament because nobody's on campus right now, but 2/26 might work. The only problem is that it might be too late to make room reservations for that date.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Auron

mastaloo wrote:
Carangoides ciliarius wrote:Why the dearth of tournaments in January and February? That might have alleviated a lot of the problems here.
We can't run a winter tournament because nobody's on campus right now, but 2/26 might work. The only problem is that it might be too late to make room reservations for that date.
I mostly was talking to high schools. Last year there were (attempts at) tournaments at TJ and Gonzaga in January and February. This didn't happen this year.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:
mastaloo wrote:
I mostly was talking to high schools. Last year there were (attempts at) tournaments at TJ and Gonzaga in January and February. This didn't happen this year.
I think TJ's is later. Also, wasn't Gonzaga's tournament last year run by St. Anselm (who is running it on its own this year?)
Auron

dtaylor4 wrote:
mastaloo wrote:
I think TJ's is later. Also, wasn't Gonzaga's tournament last year run by St. Anselm (who is running it on its own this year?)
Yes and yes. My point is that last year, those competitions were in January and February. Now we have them all crammed into March and April and other longer and more established tournaments (like Blue Hen which for some reason never called a date even though in the past they've been known to claim one a year ahead of time) are trying to fit in too. I don't know why those schools (or, St. Anselm's for the second tournament) could not have stuck with around the same dates this year. TJ held a competition in January in 2009, (tried to) in January in 2010, and this year apparently decided to push it back two months.

We picked our April date for Rider Bowl because last year there wasn't much else around during that time. But now, even though there was no Delaware NAQT Championship this year (for the first time in almost a decade), Blue Hen still can't fit itself in anywhere.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Perhaps after the impact of snow on last year's tournament schedule, those wild and crazy kids running those tournaments chose to go ahead and stick their tournaments on the dates where there was less chance of a sudden cancellation?
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

I know RM's thinking was "Fall tournament, spring tournament." Don't know about everyone else though.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Auron

Frater Taciturnus wrote:Perhaps after the impact of snow on last year's tournament schedule, those wild and crazy kids running those tournaments chose to go ahead and stick their tournaments on the dates where there was less chance of a sudden cancellation?
So, like, high schools should just never have competitions in January and February now? We have one and a half years of tons of snow and that's enough for people to abandon the idea of winter tournaments?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:Perhaps after the impact of snow on last year's tournament schedule, those wild and crazy kids running those tournaments chose to go ahead and stick their tournaments on the dates where there was less chance of a sudden cancellation?
So, like, high schools should just never have competitions in January and February now? We have one and a half years of tons of snow and that's enough for people to abandon the idea of winter tournaments?
In some cases, these tournaments are (probably) major fundraisers for travel to other tournaments and nationals. If I were in their shoes, I'm not willing to chance that.

In March, people run into conflicting spring breaks, but that's gonna happen with any date around that time of year.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Alternatively, you pick a snow date.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Smuttynose Island

Post by Smuttynose Island »

I'd like to point out that schools are not avoiding hosting tournaments in January and February. VCU, Cave Spring and TJ will all have hosted a tournament during those months by the end of this year. Secondly, I'm not sure why you are, or at least seem to be, blaming other schools for the University of Delaware's inability to find a free weekend for Blue Hen. A school has every right to claim whatever date they please, regardless of who has claimed that date in past years. This year many teams claimed Spring dates early. Please don't complain about teams claiming dates early. The only people who should be blamed for the University of Delaware's inability to host Blue Hen is the University of Delaware. Why? Because they did not claim a date early this year, even as the Spring schedule filled up.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:I don't know why those schools (or, St. Anselm's for the second tournament) could not have stuck with around the same dates this year.
When I was planning to create a housewritten set essentially all by myself, I thought I'd budget as much time as I could. By the time I joined up with other people and figured out that I would be finishing early, arrangements had already been made.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

OK would anyone be opposed to RM hosting on Easter Saturday? Is Delaware still planning on using that day? Is it the opinion of the elders of the community that an Easter Saturday/Spring Break tourney would be inadvisable?
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

I'm sorry I haven't been able to give a definite date for our tournament. Again, we have winter session right now and nobody is around to discuss details. I'm hoping by this Thursday that we'll have an answer, and we'll just have to go with it at this point.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Wurzel-Flummery wrote:OK would anyone be opposed to RM hosting on Easter Saturday? Is Delaware still planning on using that day? Is it the opinion of the elders of the community that an Easter Saturday/Spring Break tourney would be inadvisable?
I probably won't be able to tell you for some time whether we'd be able to attend on that Saturday, but I will say that spring break weekends, especially Easter weekend, are a bad idea if you're looking for a significant number of teams to attend your tournament. Without question, your attendance will be hurt. Of course, it's still better than no tournament at all (or a weekend with even worse drawbacks) if it comes to that.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Howard wrote:
Wurzel-Flummery wrote:OK would anyone be opposed to RM hosting on Easter Saturday? Is Delaware still planning on using that day? Is it the opinion of the elders of the community that an Easter Saturday/Spring Break tourney would be inadvisable?
I probably won't be able to tell you for some time whether we'd be able to attend on that Saturday, but I will say that spring break weekends, especially Easter weekend, are a bad idea if you're looking for a significant number of teams to attend your tournament. Without question, your attendance will be hurt. Of course, it's still better than no tournament at all (or a weekend with even worse drawbacks) if it comes to that.
This is true every year. Trying to run a tournament during this time frame will end up with a depressed field, regardless of what date ends up being chosen.
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Hi,
Thanks for the advice, guys. ARMY NAVY is being hosted on April 9.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

We would like to run Blue Hen on 3/26. There shouldn't be many, if any, conflicts with VCU's tournament.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Auron

mastaloo wrote:We would like to run Blue Hen on 3/26. There shouldn't be many, if any, conflicts with VCU's tournament.
Alright, hopefully this date works. I'm glad we finally settled on one. I'll bring the troops.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
reindeer
Wakka

Post by reindeer »

Our administration changed its mind about allowing us to run tournaments on Sundays, so TJ's spring tournament will be held on Saturday, April 30 rather than March 20. Many thanks to VCU for accommodating us.
Olivia M
TJ, MIT, Harvard, ACF
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

reindeer wrote:Our administration changed its mind about allowing us to run tournaments on Sundays, so TJ's spring tournament will be held on Saturday, April 30 rather than March 20. Many thanks to VCU for accommodating us.
As such, the Mid-Atlantic Championship will be May 1st
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Can you move RM's tournament to April 9 in the original post? Thanks.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Auron

reindeer wrote:Our administration changed its mind about allowing us to run tournaments on Sundays, so TJ's spring tournament will be held on Saturday, April 30 rather than March 20. Many thanks to VCU for accommodating us.
Still during our Spring Break. Sorry, CR can't be there.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

We will be mirroring the LIST set on either the 15th or 22nd of May.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Auron

Rider Bowl II has moved to Saturday, May 14th.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
jlchockey94
Lulu

Post by jlchockey94 »

Lightinfa wrote:Sorry for all the jumping around- but the final resting place for the Maggie Walker BATE mirror will be 5/14.
Frater Taciturnus wrote:We will be mirroring the LIST set on either the 15th or 22nd of May.
Are both of these tournaments still happening? If so, have announcements been posted for each?
Jared Cowan
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Hey,

I just heard back from JR that they (Maggie Walker) wont be mirroring BATE. If someone in the MD/DC/VA area wants to mirror it sometime before the season is over, please let me know ASAP by emailing me at [email protected]. If no one lets me know by Monday morning (May 2nd) I will start a discussion thread.

Aaron
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer