Triton Winter @ UCSD (2/19/11)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
cchiego
Yuna

Triton Winter @ UCSD (2/19/11)

Post by cchiego »

The UCSD Quizbowl Team is pleased to announce our Triton Winter Tournament, a high school tournament open to all interested teams, to be held at UCSD on Februrary 19th, 2011. We are scheduled to use IS-102, so this will be an HSNCT qualifier.

More details will be posted once Winter Quarter starts, but for now a few notes:

-Teams that fly to this tournament will be welcome to play at cost ($15 per team and we'll help secure accommodations and transport and such)
-New to quizbowl teams (not counting teams who played at tournaments this year, but including all teams whose only previous experience has been Academic League) will play for $20 per team.
-We're hoping that we'll have enough competent moderators by February to accommodate up to 24 teams.
-Powers and negs will be used as usual; we'll likely keep the pop culture but cut computational math

I, Chris Chiego, will again serve as TD with a to-be-named able assistant or two. Last time we were able to finish the tournament by 4 PM, so I'm hoping to replicate or even surpass that mark. Please email all interest and correspondence to ucsdqb at gmail.com.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
Flash Bomba
Lulu

Re: Triton Winter @ UCSD (2/19/11)

Post by Flash Bomba »

Just wondering, cost for non-flying, non-new teams?
Thomas Hsu
University High School '11
Brown '15
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

t3hr0xx0rz wrote:Just wondering, cost for non-flying, non-new teams?
Similar to the past, though we'll probably slightly change the formula once again to figure out how to attract the maximum number of teams.
Chris C.
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Updating with the fee schedule:

$70 for first team, 60 for each subsequent team (i.e. bringing two teams would be $70+$60, three would be $70+60+60).
-$5 per working buzzer brought
-$20 per competent moderator
Long-Distance Discount: -$5 for teams driving 150 miles (one-way), with -$5 for each additional 50 miles
First time Discount (for teams who have not attended quizbowl tournaments at UCSD before): $20 for first team, regular fees apply after that (i.e. 2 teams from a first time school would be 20+60).
Flying Discount: $20 flat rate per team (and we'll help with logistics).

Field Updates will go here:
La Jolla 3
University 1?
RB 1
Torrey Pines 1
Patrick Henry 1
Arcadia 5
Total: 10-11

This time, we're targeting an even broader variety of schools from the LA area to some Las Vegas schools and into Arizona. Come one, come all!
Last edited by cchiego on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:46 am, edited 14 times in total.
Chris C.
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

You can expect at least one team from RB with three buzzers.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." --Michelangelo Buonarroti
MattyJ
Lulu

Post by MattyJ »

Are you looking for some extra moderators? I have always had fun driving down to read for you guys.
Matthew UCI '012
Edison '08

I stand by all the misstatements that I've made.
- Dan Quayle
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

MattyJ wrote:Are you looking for some extra moderators? I have always had fun driving down to read for you guys.
We'd love to have you come down; if you do, we can buy you lunch.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Bumping this now that we're starting to get more replies.

We're also considering dividing into a JV division if there's sufficient interest for 10th graders or below; let us know if that would affect the likelihood of your team's attendance.
Chris C.
Balboa
Lulu

Post by Balboa »

Have there been any more replies or attempts to pull in teams? The field looks a bit small right now.
Andrew Wang
Arcadia High School '12
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Balboa wrote:Have there been any more replies or attempts to pull in teams? The field looks a bit small right now.
It won't be as small if you sign up!
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Balboa
Lulu

Post by Balboa »

We will be sending 4-5 teams.
Still hoping for a larger field though.
Andrew Wang
Arcadia High School '12
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Balboa wrote:We will be sending 4-5 teams.
Still hoping for a larger field though.
:party:

Will start additional follow-ups to lure more people out of hiding now.
Chris C.
DC1
Kimahri

Post by DC1 »

Arcadia will be bringing 1-2 functional buzzer sets
Derek C.
Berkeley
Arcadia High School '11
Flash Bomba
Lulu

Post by Flash Bomba »

We will be staying at one team. My apologies.
Thomas Hsu
Brown '15
Flash Bomba
Lulu

Post by Flash Bomba »

Edit: Ride situation has been fixed, there are no longer any problems here.
Thomas Hsu
Brown '15
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Everyone's now confirmed except for Rancho Bernardo. If anyone from RB is reading and can tell me that you're coming, with what teams/players/buzzers, that would be awesome.

EDIT: We've reached 14 teams. I declare the field closed, though if RB can still get in touch with me to confirm that'd be great.
Chris C.
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Prelim stats.

If anyone knew that Arcadia C would have the 3rd highest bonus conversion, they should've told me before I seeded them as a C team. Note to teams in the future: rank your teams according to ability or inform the TD of such.
Chris C.
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Congratulations to Torrey Pines for winning Triton Winter in impressive fashion over travel-problem-plagued University High. Torrey was dominant all day, but dropped their last match after a spectacular individual performance by Lucas of Rancho Bernardo to set up a winner-take-all final with University.

Overall stats are available here, but are deceptive because we only counted final records within the playoff brackets. EDIT: here are the playoff-only standings.

I'd especially like to thank all our moderators, including Tammy from UCLA, for helping us to finish 11 rounds by 4 PM despite having a late start brought on by travel issues with a number of teams. I'd also like to thank Patrick Henry for making us their first non-Academic League quizbowl tournament and having a superb attitude towards the game. I hope to see them at future tournaments.

EDIT: Also, I completely forgot to mention this at the tournament, but I do have 10 visual questions already written. I'll keep working on them and try to get up to at least 20 before running it at some HS tournament in the future.
Last edited by cchiego on Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris C.
Flash Bomba
Lulu

Post by Flash Bomba »

Thanks to UCSD for putting on the tournament and dealing with all of our problems getting there. And congrats to Torrey, who proved they're still frightening even without Sharad. And thanks to Lucas's mom for playing for our team while we weren't there yet.
Thomas Hsu
Brown '15
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

I'm confused as to why prelim rounds did not factor at all into deciding who wins the tournament. Sure, Torrey and University might have had the same record in the playoffs but Torrey was undefeated in prelims, one of those wins coming against University. It just seems odd that a team with two more wins than (and no losses against) the other would have to play a winner-take-all final to win the tournament.

Not that it mattered in the end. Congrats to both Torrey Pines and University for their performances.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

[I'm confused as to why prelim rounds did not factor at all into deciding who wins the tournament. Sure, Torrey and University might have had the same record in the playoffs but Torrey was undefeated in prelims, one of those wins coming against University. It just seems odd that a team with two more wins than (and no losses against) the other would have to play a winner-take-all final to win the tournament.
This was the problem with the schedule imbalance since we had 11 teams and probably 5 that would be competitive for the championship. I'd rather have the 5 of them play on even footing with each other than to handicap some by whomever ended up in the tougher prelim bracket. The ideal solution would've been a double RR with those top teams (who played some fantastic matches against each other), but it's also hard to justify that to all the other teams. Therefore, the compromise solution I reached (when I put this schedule together at 1 AM after 3 teams dropped between 8 PM and 1 AM) set up nicely for fulfilling both the goals of fairness (top 3 from each would have a shot at the championship) and competitiveness.
Chris C.
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

gyre and gimble wrote:I'm confused as to why prelim rounds did not factor at all into deciding who wins the tournament. Sure, Torrey and University might have had the same record in the playoffs but Torrey was undefeated in prelims, one of those wins coming against University. It just seems odd that a team with two more wins than (and no losses against) the other would have to play a winner-take-all final to win the tournament.

Not that it mattered in the end. Congrats to both Torrey Pines and University for their performances.
The other answer is that University had to forfeit a prelim game because it had arrived late due to transportation issues.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Flash Bomba
Lulu

Post by Flash Bomba »

May I add, 5 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT transportation issues over 2 days.
Thomas Hsu
Brown '15