Passing thoughts while reading the set

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Passing thoughts while reading the set

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Your copy editing blew. Read over the tossups and find the billions of grammatical errors or missing words.
Include the real answer lines. Tons of answer lines are incomplete as hell.
At least half of the tossups have early clues that are WAY too hard.
Why on earth would you include the clue about Flaubert visiting prostitutes the way you did?
Lots of bonuses are way too hard.
Lots of really boneheaded wrong clues crept in the set (things like the Easter Rising taking place in "1917" or not getting Jocelyn Bell's last name right).
Overall, not pleased with how little was fixed in this set.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Re: Passing thoughts while reading the set

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote: not getting Jocelyn Bell's last name right
I seem to recall this being right in the set, but everything else you say here I agree with.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

In regards to the criticisms listed in Charlie's post, I apologize if I didn't notice any additional errors; I only took a look at the things pointed out in the three or so threads and the stuff George pointed out.
Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote: At least half of the tossups have early clues that are WAY too hard.
I mean I did explain in the tournament announcement thread that DAFT would still have longer than usual tossups on easy answer lines. I just thought this would make it both enjoyable for experienced teams because they would get to hear more clues and less experienced teams since they would still be able to convert the tossups.
Lots of bonuses are way too hard.
Which ones?

Again, I apologize if anyone else from the Missouri or Virginia site was displeased with the edits made during the last month. Like other high school seniors, I was busy with school and a part-time job. I, however, understand this doesn't excuse the uncorrected errors in the set. Despite also being busy with school and most likely their own part-time jobs, Tommy and JR were able to write and edit an excellent GSAC set (at least, that has been the general impression of people on the boards; I haven't had the opportunity to play them yet). Anyways, if there's more criticism of specific questions, I will be happy to continue editing them.
Last edited by Huang on Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandy
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Is this being run anywhere else?
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:Is this being run anywhere else?
I'm not totally sure yet, but it might be.
Sandy