GSAC XVIII at Maggie Walker (12/4/10) - Seeking Mirrors

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Re: GSAC XVIII at Maggie Walker (12/4/10) - Seeking Mirrors

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

Lightinfa wrote:
Edward Powers wrote:George,

What format was used in the playoffs? And, any info/details on 3rd-8th place while we await final stats? Thanks.
Playoffs was two brackets of four consisting of the top two teams from each bracket. 3rd is TJ A, 4th TJ B. Final stats incoming.
Samantha just told me RM got 4th...
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Wurzel-Flummery wrote:
Lightinfa wrote:
Edward Powers wrote:George,

What format was used in the playoffs? And, any info/details on 3rd-8th place while we await final stats? Thanks.
Playoffs was two brackets of four consisting of the top two teams from each bracket. 3rd is TJ A, 4th TJ B. Final stats incoming.
Samantha just told me RM got 4th...
Typo corrected.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

So you divided your top 8 from the Prelims into two playoff brackets of 4 each, with each bracket of 4 teams having 2 of the 4 Prelim bracket winners? And I suppose you then played a 3 game RR within each bracket? Once done, did you then play cross bracket matches for placements from 1 though 8, or something like this? And, final question: Did preliminary records carry over into the playoffs, or did everyone start 0-0?

EDIT: No need to answer---I am sure you are busy. I'll wait for the stats.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Edward Powers wrote:So you divided your top 8 from the Prelims into two playoff brackets of 4 each, with each bracket of 4 teams having 2 of the 4 Prelim bracket winners? And I suppose you then played a 3 game RR within each bracket? Once done, did you then play cross bracket matches for placements from 1 though 8, or something like this? And, final question: Did preliminary records carry over into the playoffs, or did everyone start 0-0?

Records did not carry over, we played placement games 1-6, and all stats are up on the previous page.

EDIT: And also I have requested a private discussion forum for GSAC so hopefully we will have that shortly so that concerns can be taken care of. Alternatively you can just email me at gsacdirector AT gmail DOT com or roach_JR AT comcast DOT net with any comments/concerns with the set.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Just like to say thanks to all the teams that came out today from across 8 states and a whole lot of miles. Also, I'd like to thank our committed moderators for helping us out the entire day. Special thanks to George Berry for helping with some last minute scheduling changes, to Sarah Angelo for keeping stats for us, and to the rest of VCU in general for helping with pre-tournament stuff and other problems throughout the day. I hope everyone enjoyed the tournament.

Mirrors are going on till March 26, so don't mention any specifics until we have our private forum.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

This tournament was cool. Despite the team-dropping apocalypse that went down in the morning, things ran very nicely. The questions were much, much better than last year's, and for that I am grateful. Thanks to Gov for running this.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Also, we have noticed the missing game between New Kent C and Spartanburg- we do not have access to the scoresheets until Monday, so we will endeavor to find that game then.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Lightinfa wrote:
Edward Powers wrote:So you divided your top 8 from the Prelims into two playoff brackets of 4 each, with each bracket of 4 teams having 2 of the 4 Prelim bracket winners? And I suppose you then played a 3 game RR within each bracket? Once done, did you then play cross bracket matches for placements from 1 though 8, or something like this? And, final question: Did preliminary records carry over into the playoffs, or did everyone start 0-0?

Records did not carry over, we played placement games 1-6, and all stats are up on the previous page.

EDIT: And also I have requested a private discussion forum for GSAC so hopefully we will have that shortly so that concerns can be taken care of. Alternatively you can just email me at gsacdirector AT gmail DOT com or roach_JR AT comcast DOT net with any comments/concerns with the set.
The private discussion group now exists, look for it in the list of groups. Also, I forgot to announce that we will be hosting another tournament on March 5; an announcement will be put up sometime this week and hopefully we will see a lot of you all there.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

I enjoyed helping out, as always. Another well-run tournament by Gov.

These questions were pretty hard. They were actually probably harder than the Delta Burke set we heard at Penn. But they were written really well, i'll say that.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:I enjoyed helping out, as always. Another well-run tournament by Gov.

These questions were pretty hard. They were actually probably harder than the Delta Burke set we heard at Penn. But they were written really well, i'll say that.
I mean I would think that this set would be harder than an introductory Community College Set, but thanks for helping out!
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Auron

Well, when you don't explicitly advertise that it's a harder-than-regular-difficulty tournament, then, no, people wouldn't know that it would be harder than a novice collegiate set.

I mean, i'll say more in the discussion thread, but these were the toughest questions i've seen in a high school tournament (on a "high school" set) since Maryland Spring in May, which advertised itself as "harder" then regular ones... and even then i think those might not have been as tough as these except for the last round or two.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:Well, when you don't explicitly advertise that it's a harder-than-regular-difficulty tournament, then, no, people wouldn't know that it would be harder than a novice collegiate set.

I mean, i'll say more in the discussion thread, but these were the toughest questions i've seen in a high school tournament (on a "high school" set) since Maryland Spring in May, which advertised itself as "harder" then regular ones... and even then i think those might not have been as tough as these except for the last round or two.
Well calculating out the bonus conversion it appears like QuAC had an average bonus conversion of around 15, which is actually one point lower than this tournament. I'm not sure if novice community college is equal to harder than regular difficulty but I feel like the discussion of college vs. high school difficulty/questions has been done before so I'll just wait for your specific criticisms.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Auron

The teams at this tournament were, overall, quite superior in skill and knowledge to the teams at Penn, i believe. This is apples and oranges here. But, fine.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Would there be any effort to perhaps lower the difficulty level (if the set is as hard as people say) before later mirrors?
Nicholas C
KQBA member
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

JR,

Please adjust the Prelim (and Overall) stats to reflect that Kellenberg went 7-0 and Richard Montgomery went 6-1 in the Dragon bracket. You have the scores reversed. I sent you an email with the data from my scoresheet.

Thank you.
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Hilltopper22 wrote:Would there be any effort to perhaps lower the difficulty level (if the set is as hard as people say) before later mirrors?
I do not believe that it is harder than Delta Burke both Richard Montgomery and St. Anselm's were at both QuAC and GSAC and their ppb went up at GSAC, although for purposes of full disclosure CR's ppb went down one point, and at this point it is one person saying it is hard, whereas George Berry says that this is the best set ever produced exclusively by high schoolers, but we are going to be editing to address any concerns by the the time of the Illinois mirror, and we will be continuing to tweak this tournament all the way until your mirror.
Last edited by Lightinfa on Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

BroNi wrote:JR,

Please adjust the Prelim (and Overall) stats to reflect that Kellenberg went 7-0 and Richard Montgomery went 6-1 in the Dragon bracket. You have the scores reversed. I sent you an email with the data from my scoresheet.

Thank you.
My apologies I thought that had been fixed, thanks for the email and we will be able to fix that Monday as well.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Lightinfa wrote:
Hilltopper22 wrote:Would there be any effort to perhaps lower the difficulty level (if the set is as hard as people say) before later mirrors?
I do not believe that it is harder than Delta Burke both Richard Montgomery and St. Anselm's were at both QuAC and GSAC and their ppb went up at GSAC, although for purposes of full disclosure CR's ppb went down one point, and at this point it is one person saying it is hard, whereas George Berry says that this is the best set ever produced exclusively by high schoolers, but we are going to be editing to address any concerns by the the time of the Illinois mirror, and we will be continuing to tweak this tournament all the way until your mirror.
If you don't believe it's harder than Delta Burke (and the stats you cite tend to prove that point) then it should be fine difficulty wise. I'm looking forward to hosting our tournament on the GSAC set.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Combined stats have been fixed- we will be fixing prelims and playoffs tomorrow.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011