No one in California wants to play TIT? I can't believe it!

Old college threads.
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

No one in California wants to play TIT? I can't believe it!

Post by Sun Devil Student »

The leading members of the ASU team are currently desperately in need of some "regular difficulty" tournaments with non-novice fields to get some more experience before SCT/Regionals time, and would thus like to know whether either of the January tournaments will be mirrored in the West Coast region.

So, is anyone in California interested in playing Terrapin or Penn Bowl, and if so is anyone planning to mirror either?

ASU Quizbowl would be happy to host Terrapin if all the Californians would rather come all the way out to Arizona rather than having it right at home, but given the number of teams in Los Angeles vs. Phoenix it seems like a Southern California location would be optimal.
Last edited by Sun Devil Student on Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenneth Lan, ASU '11, '12, UIC '17
The University of Illinois at Chicago
-stranger in a strange land (2013-)
The Sonoran Desert quizbowl ecosystem
-activist/advocate (2010-2013)
The Arizona State University Quizbowl Club
-elder statesman (2011-2013)
-coach (2009-2011)
-club president (2008-2011)
-founder (2007-)
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: January 2011 Regular Tournaments in the West

Post by DumbJaques »

I've been in contact with Jeremy Eaton at Irvine about hosting, but I'm not sure if the club is able to. We're certainly actively seeking a West Coast mirror.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

DumbJaques wrote:I've been in contact with Jeremy Eaton at Irvine about hosting, but I'm not sure if the club is able to. We're certainly actively seeking a West Coast mirror.
Is there any possibility that we can work out a modified packet schedule for the west coast site? We definitely want to come to TIT but we've been unable to start on a packet because we don't know where it will be or even if it will happen.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I think Stanford is hosting ACF Regionals for what it's worth.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Is there any possibility that we can work out a modified packet schedule for the west coast site? We definitely want to come to TIT but we've been unable to start on a packet because we don't know where it will be or even if it will happen.
It's up to SteveJon, but I imagine we'll come up with something reasonable as soon as a host emerges.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

DumbJaques wrote:
It's up to SteveJon, but I imagine we'll come up with something reasonable as soon as a host emerges.
ASU would much appreciate this as well. The full-strength ASU B is currently sitting on a finished packet waiting to submit it to the first regular-season tournament in the SoCal area, and we were hoping it would be Terrapin since that date works very conveniently for us.
Bentley Like Beckham wrote:I think Stanford is hosting ACF Regionals for what it's worth.
Nooooooooo!!!!!

There goes any sliver of a chance we had to win an official ACF Regional... because now ASU won't even be able to go - our budget doesn't go that far...

But hopefully one of the Southern California teams will host something else in March or something to take the place of Regionals. As long as you keep a good frequency of regular-difficulty tournaments each spring semester, you have a guaranteed revenue source from ASU for years to come, but my little quizbowl island is rather fragile at the moment and if the stream of tournaments cuts off for too long, there is a risk that the desert may dry up forever. And that would be a loss of good fundraising for the California circuit.

In another year, when we hopefully have other Region 13 teams around, we'll see about hosting a regular-difficulty event, preferably one that's simultaneously being mirrored in San Francisco (since if it's in Los Angeles, it's in our interest developmentally and yours financially to have a full ASU delegation come over to play). I probably won't even be in the region anymore, but I consider myself a founder of this region and I have a deep emotional investment in it. This is a vision that no one can accomplish alone. Someday we may have Region 13 stand alone with several strong teams driving around to each other regularly but in order to reach that stage, I think some time and some force-at-a-distance from Southern California will be necessary.

So hopefully you were going to have tournaments through the semester anyway (although I don't see them on the posted calendar for this year; there are some conspicuous gaps) but if you weren't, hopefully I've persuaded you that it would be beneficial to plan some, and to put them where my people can get to them.

Also, just to be clear, I'm not opposed to trying to accelerate the vision I've just outlined (e.g. by attempting to mirror all San Francisco tournaments in Arizona this semester) - I merely think there won't be an audience for it yet and that such an attempt would likely go nowhere. We'll see what happens at the Region 13 SCT, but I think this process is going to take a while. And that it could eventually unfold into something very, very beautiful.
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

We like playing quizbowl, want to show up to college tournaments, have a more flexible budget than we did last year, and are willing to write packets. Please host things, colleges.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
manary
Lulu

Post by manary »

There have been TONS of tournaments so far. THUNDER is this weekend. Please go to the already existing ones. THUNDER will be reg dificulty, and SCT and Regionals aren't far from it. If my memory serves me right:

Past:
Some Mirror - UCSD (summer)
ACF Novice - UCSD
EFT - Claremont
ACF Fall - Caltech
MO - UCLA

Upcoming:
THUNDER - UCSD
SCT - Caltech
ACF Regionals - Stanford?
Micah J. Manary
University of California San Diego MSTP '1x
California Institute of Technology '10
Saint Louis University High School '07
Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

NoWayItsTanay wrote:We like playing quizbowl, want to show up to college tournaments, have a more flexible budget than we did last year, and are willing to write packets. Please host things, colleges.
We're planning to host something sometime in the spring.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

manary wrote:There have been TONS of tournaments so far. THUNDER is this weekend. Please go to the already existing ones. THUNDER will be reg dificulty, and SCT and Regionals aren't far from it.
Oh no, the fall semester has been just fine (from ASU's standpoint), the only suggestion I could make would be having EFT after ACF Fall instead of before CollegiateNovice. MO unfortunately was the same weekend as one of our high school tournaments and most of my team really needs more regular-difficulty experience before going to nationals/open type tournaments. We would be going to THUNDER if it wasn't the week before finals.

I meant in the spring semester, there's basically only SCT and Regionals, and of those two, only SCT is within driving distance of ASU. (We're still waiting for NAQT to decide if we'll even be allowed to enter your D1 SCT field, though since you guys always seem to have trouble getting four D1 teams every year it seems like we could solve your problem for this year given permission.) Meanwhile, there's a whole month of emptiness between Regionals and ICT, unless someone mirrors Princeton Buzzerfest (and is that a regular or a nationals difficulty?).

So if we can get, in South California, a Terrapin mirror and then SCT, and in the ideal case one more regular difficulty event anytime in March, that would be enormously helpful to developing and sustaining the ASU quizbowl organization. (And for balance, maybe Penn Bowl and ACF Regionals in North California, which ASU can't go to, and ASU can mirror one or both of those someday when a Region 13 audience for those tournaments exists.)

I might point out that there are about twice as many college teams in south California as in north California, and if you count ASU as part of the south California region then it's more than twice as many, so I'd think it makes some sense to have more regular tournaments in the south in any given year. But the one most important life-or-death issue for ASU Quizbowl's existence is having at least ACF Fall be in the south, and I would be willing to compromise on the regular-tournament split to ensure that. (For the next few years, anyway. When we have Region 13 teams, we'll host a CollegiateNovice for them and go from there. After that the North/South California split may not matter as much to ASU, though I think there would still be more teams and more regular tournaments in the south anyway.)
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
The Tourist
Lulu

Post by The Tourist »

NoWayItsTanay wrote:We like playing quizbowl, want to show up to college tournaments, have a more flexible budget than we did last year, and are willing to write packets. Please host things, colleges.
Now the tough question: would you travel to Phoenix for a tournament?
Ian McCloskey
Arizona State '13
Arizona '16
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

The Tourist wrote:Now the tough question: would you travel to Phoenix for a tournament?
See if y'all can recruit a few new teams (Arizona? New Mexico? Northern Arizona? University of Phoenix? UTEP?) and we'd definitely be up for a once-a-semester roadtrip. Not nearly as far as the Bay Area for us and with lots more fascinating geology on display. There's also an amazing breakfast/sandwich shop down the road from ASU that has Red Creme Soda on tap that I'd like to go back and try again.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
The Tourist
Lulu

Post by The Tourist »

Swank diet wrote:
The Tourist wrote:Now the tough question: would you travel to Phoenix for a tournament?
See if y'all can recruit a few new teams (Arizona? New Mexico? Northern Arizona? University of Phoenix? UTEP?) and we'd definitely be up for a once-a-semester roadtrip. Not nearly as far as the Bay Area for us and with lots more fascinating geology on display. There's also an amazing breakfast/sandwich shop down the road from ASU that has Red Creme Soda on tap that I'd like to go back and try again.
I actually didn't know Sacks served breakfast, but that must be the only place that serves red creme soda on tap nearby, and the sandwiches are delicious.

U of A and NAU are probably places we'll look into recruiting teams from in the near future, given how many of us went to high school in Arizona. As our base of high school students who compete at our tournaments grows, we'll probably have an increasingly large and hopefully competitive batch of quizbowlers here. We do hope to in the nearish future have tournaments here that we could promote to California teams, but we'll see how things go. We are definitely encouraged by the "build a field, and they will come," fact.
Ian McCloskey
Arizona State '13
Arizona '16
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Swank diet wrote:See if y'all can recruit a few new teams (Arizona? New Mexico? Northern Arizona? University of Phoenix? UTEP?) and we'd definitely be up for a once-a-semester roadtrip. Not nearly as far as the Bay Area for us and with lots more fascinating geology on display. There's also an amazing breakfast/sandwich shop down the road from ASU that has Red Creme Soda on tap that I'd like to go back and try again.
I haven't heard a word out of Tucson all year despite e-mailing the listed contact for the NAQT Region 13 SCT as well as NAQT themselves, but I just e-mailed the U of A coordinator again and hopefully they will have news now. I will tell my team to talk to whatever other schools are there and see if we can get them to come to ASU in the future. I'm hoping the U of A people have contact information for New Mexico and other Region 13 teams.

If anyone on these forums has the slightest idea where to begin with UTEP or U.Phoenix, please let me know; they're outside Region 13, so the ACUI coordinators at U of A would probably not know anyone there.

Also, what happened to U. Nevada-Las Vegas? Anyone have contact information for them?

Even if there are no other college teams, though, we could probably persuade Brophy to field one or two teams (though that might not give you very interesting games, as they're a considerable ways off from reaching the level of your accustomed "high school" opponents).

Also... any word about the Terrapin mirror?
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
The Tourist
Lulu

Post by The Tourist »

University of Phoenix is a for-profit, largely online university. Probably not the place to start.
Ian McCloskey
Arizona State '13
Arizona '16
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Will anyone host Terrapin Invitational (Jan. 22) in Southern California??

Also, it would be really nice if there was a Southern California mirror of the Feb. 19 tournaments (either Penn Bowl or Sack of Antwerp), to take the place of ACF Regionals which ASU can't afford to travel to this year.

Edit: The off-topic stuff mysteriously disappeared between the time I saw it and the time I posted a response to it, so my response is no longer necessary
Last edited by Sun Devil Student on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I've heard rumblings that TIT might happen at UCI, but no confirmation yet. I'm hoping someone from the club can tell us right now if they're holding it, because we do want to submit a packet for a discount.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Re: How about we make some regional calendars?

Just an idea. The "nationwide" calendar doesn't show delayed mirrors, so each region presumably has slight variations.

Of course, my main interest here is to see how the California circuit is looking this February. Supposing UCI does host on Jan. 22, you then have tournaments on 1/22 and 2/5 in the south and on 2/26 in the north. Presumably the Penn Bowl (2/12) goes north and Sack of Antwerp (2/19) goes south in order to get a good alternation through the February weekends.

This arrangement would happen to be very beneficial for my team, but I wouldn't want to impose one team's interests on the rest of the region if the above proposed arrangement is bad for everyone else. (ASU is hosting a high school tournament on 2/12 because that day works best for the high schools in the area. Thus, our only hope is to have the NorCal tournament be on Feb. 12 and the SoCal one be on Feb. 19.)

Judging by the announcements, I'd probably rather play Penn Bowl (regular difficulty) than Antwerp (harder-than-regular), but whichever one can be found in SoCal on 2/19 is the one we'll have to attend. Since the only influence I really have is ASU Quizbowl's three teams' worth of registration fees, I can understand if keeping all mirrors on the same day is more important than providing optimal growth conditions for a particular newly formed quizbowl island in the Sonoran Desert. I'm more than happy if my teams just get some regular-ish SoCal tournaments on Jan. 22 and Feb. 19.

So how's this region looking so far?
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

every time i refresh i have a new name wrote:I've heard rumblings that TIT might happen at UCI, but no confirmation yet. I'm hoping someone from the club can tell us right now if they're holding it, because we do want to submit a packet for a discount.
Any word on this?

Seriously, I can't believe this. I don't know if it's a winter break issue or something but I'm skeptical of the idea that no one in the entire southern half of California would be interested in playing Terrapin this year!

No, really!?

Because if you all seriously don't want to play this, then ASU plans to host it with an all-house-team field. But that seems very improbable to me, and since some of you probably are interested, I don't want to make a bunch of California teams travel out to Phoenix, as that would be an obvious inefficiency compared to ASU coming over to your place. (If you would actually prefer to travel out of your city, of course, please tell me so, because that's counterintuitive enough that I would not dare to assume it!)

Right now, I'm chalking it up to people being away from the Internet over Christmas. But my team needs to know, soon, whether *anyone* in this corner of the country wants to play or host the Terrapin tournament.

If everyone in South California can just confirm that they are *not* hosting, that would be greatly appreciated. If Irvine or anyone else is in fact going to host, please tell me, privately if necessary.
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: No one in California wants to play TIT? I can't believe it!

Post by Mike Bentley »

Are you on the West Coast mailing list? For whatever reason a lot of people in California don't regularly check the boards, so you might have more luck pestering someone on there.
Mike Bentley
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:Are you on the West Coast mailing list? For whatever reason a lot of people in California don't regularly check the boards, so you might have more luck pestering someone on there.
I'd heard of something like this before but I thought it was outdated. How can I get on this list?
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Mike Bentley
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Thanks very much!
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)