Any thoughts on the DC area?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
crackerwithak
Lulu

Any thoughts on the DC area?

Post by crackerwithak »

The enormous threads about other regions made me feel guilty, so I'll try to start a discussion about my beloved DC area.

Everyone knows about the It's Academic jabberwocky that is TJ, but here is my personal ranking of the best teams in the area, not including TJ or my own.

1. Richard Montgomery A
2. Blake
3. Eleanor Roosevelt
4. Blair's real A team
5. Richard Montgomery B

I think the best individual players are Daniel from ER and TV star Michael Braun from Blake.

Discuss
bulldog09
Kimahri

Post by bulldog09 »

I remember Michael Braun, I met him at ace quiz bowl camp once, ahahahaha. He was like a freshman but he totally kicked my butt.
mrblinux
Lulu

Post by mrblinux »

Bulldog, who are you? I really don't remember all that many specifics of SEMO the summer before my sophomore year.

The best teams in the DC metro area, in no order - Blair, Blake, Eleanor Roosevelt, Gonzaga, Richard Montgomery, TJ, Walter Johnson

I find it kind of hard to rank. The best way would probably be to look at tournament results, barring bad questions/It's Academic-like tournaments. To my knowledge, TJ has won every single tournament that they have attended. Richard Montgomery has won a few, we've won two, Walter Johnson won one, I think Gonzaga and Eleanor Roosevelt might have won some as well.

For best players in the area - Michael Kettler (Gonzaga), Chris Ray (Richard Montgomery), Daniel Rowlands (Eleanor Roosevelt), maybe me, and I can't decide on who from TJ - not sure who is the strongest, maybe Sam Lederer.

:hose: <---hosed!
No longer affiliated with Blake It's Ac team :D
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

mrblinux wrote:For best players in the area - Michael Kettler (Gonzaga), Chris Ray (Richard Montgomery), Daniel Rowlands (Eleanor Roosevelt), maybe me, and I can't decide on who from TJ - not sure who is the strongest, maybe Sam Lederer.
What do you mean "maybe me"? Your name would have to be mentioned on any list of this kind, the scary part is that you're a junior. My short list would be exactly yours, but adding Dan Wright and Jacob Oppenheim from the TJ crowd and maybe Zach from Walter Johnson. Regarding TJ's strongest player, Dan's probably the best generalist, if his scoring titles are any indication, but Jacob and Sam have unbelievably deep knowledge in some areas that haven't been equaled by anyone on the HS circuit for the better part of three years. Harvard, Princeton, and UNC are VERY lucky to nab those three.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

1. Richard Montgomery A
2. Blake
3. Eleanor Roosevelt
4. Blair's real A team
5. Richard Montgomery B
First of all, I wouldn't necessarily put Richard Montgomery ahead of Blake. I'm not exactly sure as to their record against eachother, but I know its fairly even. Second, I think you have rated Eleanor Roosevelt too high. I know they are 1-1 against my team, WJ. I think their major issue has been consistency this year because Daniel Rowlands can either beat any of their opponents single handedly and just as easily neg them to death. <extremely shameful plug begins now>Its tough for me to determine where my team fits into this mess because we have been plagued by team suspensions and absenses, but here are the facts: We are 0-2 against RM A on those awful Keegan questions, with both losses coming on the last question. We havn't played them on pyramidal yet. We are are 1-1(our loss was without our full A team) against Blake on pyramidal questions. We are 1-2 against them on Keegan questions. Against Blair, we are 2-0 on pyramidal questions. And as I have said before, we are 1-1 against Eleanor Roosevelt on pyramidal with our loss coming on those TJ playoff rounds by 15 points. We are 0-1 against Gonzaga, in a game where we were crushed. </end extremely shameful plug>
trial and error
Lulu

Post by trial and error »

What about States?

Within the top eight, RM B beat Blake, who beat ER, who beat RM A, who beat Gonzaga, who beat RM B. RM C beat WJ A, who beat Blair A, who beat ER, who beat RM C.

I thought IS-51 was kind of strange, but it's still a pretty competitive region.
Even the simplist task can be done rong.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

I thought IS-51 was kind of strange, but it's still a pretty competitive region.
It was mostly the preliminary rounds which had a lot of trash and other bad questions. This made the games more conducive to upsets.
blazer06
Lulu

Post by blazer06 »

thanks for the shoutout to the real A team :grin: (can you see my ego inflating?). Although at NAQT, we are 1-1 with RM, 1-0 against ER and 0-3 to Blake, but only after losing on the last question 3 times(by 5 points twice on questionable circumstance).

The first, the moderator accepted my teammates' answer of [possibly wrong answer], when the answer was [correct answer]. Blake protested; but before the protest was resolved, the score was 180-100. 45 points were deducted after we were ruled incorrect. Blake got the makeup question, and got two bonuses, leaving a score of 140-135. (For those of you who've heard the story about my teammate, you know he wasnt happy).

The second time, the moderator accepted [possibly wrong answer] for [correct answer], which we did not protest (on grounds of false, perhaps, moral superiority). Also, the moderator counted the two seconds, in both teams' opinions, slightly fast. The final score was 280-275.

I think goes along with popular opinion that ER is ranked slightly high and is subject to great variations. WJA I would put up there, as well as 'zaga.

Edit(as opposed to posting twice): As to individuals, Braun, don't know who you're kidding with "maybe", its a definitely. Zach from WJ is very good as well, and may I also suggest <bigtrain-style plug> Armin Rosen of the 'real' Blair A</plug>

[i]Admin note -- do not discuss answers of NAQT sets that will be played elsewhere[/i]
gosaints
Lulu

Post by gosaints »

Are you referring to questions/answers from NAQT set IS-51? I hope not, since that set is going to be used at a number of state championships that have not happened yet.
jewtemplar
Wakka

Post by jewtemplar »

Note to admin: blazer06 was referring to TJ's housewritten tournament.
Not that it really matters.
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

bigtrain wrote:...those awful Keegan questions....
I must differ. These are some of the best written questions I've ever heard. Not only do they reward knowledge, they also reward quick thinking skills. And they do it without resorting to a question format like lead-in and then easy clue like you see on the It's Academic television show. They tend to have three clues or so.
Last edited by Howard on Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Howard wrote:I must differ. These are some of the best written questions I've ever heard.

I can't argue that Keegan's questions aren't good because that really is a question of personal preference. However, I can tell you that I dislike Keegan's style of questions. I believe my opinion is shared by many other people over here in Montgomery County who have to hear them often...some one who will remain nameless on a very successful local team used a pencil at a few tournaments with the engraving "F**K KEEGAN."
Along with Keegan's style of question, his question content is EXTREMELY repetitive and limited in difficulty. In our Beltway League matches last week we had a question on both Tchaikovsky and Horatio Nelson in all three of our games. Keegan just likes to use questions on the same material all the time. He usually includes questions concerning: Steven Spielberg movies, King Tut, Endymion (he usually leads in with its opening line) and Washington Irving among others. The scope of knowledge covered by his questions is simply too small. I think you may be much more tolerant of his questions because you play them much less than we have to, which somewhere around 30 games per year.
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

bigtrain wrote:I think you may be much more tolerant of his questions because you play them much less than we have to, which somewhere around 30 games per year.
Just curious, what estimated percentage of your approximately 30 Keegan games are for television? This could add some wrinkles to our differing experiences, but I wouldn't think answer selection would be one of them. You make a valid point that we don't play enough Keegan questions to make a judgment on distribution.

Regardless, "*expletive* Keegan" is way out of line, considering the contributions Keegan makes on a continual basis to bettering quiz teams in Maryland.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
blazer06
Lulu

Post by blazer06 »

Sorry about the question answers; one was from TJ house-written and the other from IS-46(which I dont think will be played anymore, but yes I know its still 'illegal').

I agree with bigtrain in this case, the keegan questions can get rather repetitive(we got 'sake' at practice in the car using old keegan sets and then about 15 minutes later at quizmaster taping) and really do reward fast buzzer speed, which yes, is a part of quizbowl, but I think should be balanced better with depth. But quizbowl is better than no quizbowl, and I'd still take Keegan over nothing, and you gotta admire the man for his dedication.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

The thing about the region is that everyone is so good. For what it's worth, I really did not like the questions used at states. Not to downplay any of the upsets or anything, because as I said, the region is so good that they are definately going to happen, but there was something about them that just. . . meh.

It's just tough to rank this year. Personally, I don't think you can rank Keegan performance on a national board (or if you did, I sincerely hope no one would care). Of course, ranking teams based on crappy local questions for various other regions seems to be a widely accepted practice, so why not us too!

It may just turn out that the only real ranking will end up being at nationals, at which point the "who's the best in the dc area" thing will pretty much be moot for this year. I would say that (in Kettler's thing) ER is ranked a little high, however. Despite their strong showing at states, saying that consistency is an issue would be a major understatement. They're a very talented team, but I remember a game at TJ's house written where they scored negative points. Since I'm determing rank by a sort of "If they played each other 5 times, who would win the most" logic, I would put Blair and RM B ahead of ER. Blair is more consistent, and RM B has beaten ER soundly this year. Still, ER beat RM A and Zaga at states, so they're clearly very good, just like about 6 other teams in the area.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
AnonyMouse
Kimahri

Post by AnonyMouse »

Keegan questions are 2 lines long. They have a meaningless clue and then buzzerrace clues... creating... a buzzerrace!

Questions where you can buzz on the category and get it right are bad.
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

AnonyMouse wrote:Keegan questions are 2 lines long. They have a meaningless clue and then buzzerrace clues... creating... a buzzerrace!
In my experience, you've just described the typical It's Academic question. I find Keegan's questions to usually have three or four clues in a somewhat pyramidal order.

You also need to recall that most of the questions are being used for a television show. Viewers are not ready for 4 and 6 line questions. In comparison to the It's Academic television show, I think they're a large improvement while still keeping some of the fast pace necessary for a television show. I'd also add that they emphasize quick thinking skills more than familiarity, but both of these play a part in buzzer speed. I'm all for anything that improves quick thinking skills.
John Gilbert
Ellicott City, MD

blazer06
Lulu

Post by blazer06 »

I'll agree with both Howard and Bigtrain here, Keegan and It's Academic Questions are actually very similar, save the format which differs. Both styles usually have a very obvious giveaway at some point, at which point the question does become a buzzerrace. Keegan questions, in my experience, have about 4 clauses, 1 as an introduction and 3 clues, that aren't quite pyramidal.

Of course, I don't like Keegan Questions(especially if you use his lists, where you can see the obvious correlation between the lists and questions), and do prefer more nuanced and pyramidal questions.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Viewers are not ready for 4 and 6 line questions.
Are we thinking of the same Keegan???????

Here is my impression (I encourage all of you to give your own example) of what the vast majority of questions are like:

"December 10th sees in 1958 the publication of The Witches of Eastwick, a novel by what author of Rabbit Run?"

(The author is Updike, in case you were wondering. And I made up the date for example purposes).

Keegan questions usually either have a giveway right at the beginning, or else have meaningless clues (like December 10th in 1958, which nobody, probably not even John Updike, is going to get), which are then followed immediately by a giveaway. They are NEVER four lines long. True, in the tossup/bonus round, they appear that long on the page, but at least two lines (usually at least half the "question," by length) are always taken up by "you have waiting a bonus on *blank*, which goes to the team with the correct answer to this tossup on *blank*. Don't forget the meaningless clues at the beginning of the actual questions there, either.

I absolutely think Keegan is better than TV. But there is NO way his questions are pyramidal.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

I've experienced only his tournament questions (i.e., not television), which aren't nearly as bad as the example you gave. My recollection is that there were about two more clues in there prior to the "giveaway."

(While I agree that quizbowlers should know Updike is the author of Rabbit Run, it's not the case that most high school players actually know this.)

Similarly, I don't think television is an excuse for questions like your example.
John Gilbert
Ellicott City, MD

Marcel Duchamp
Lulu

Post by Marcel Duchamp »

Howard wrote:I've experienced only his tournament questions (i.e., not television), which aren't nearly as bad as the example you gave. My recollection is that there were about two more clues in there prior to the "giveaway."

(While I agree that quizbowlers should know Updike is the author of Rabbit Run, it's not the case that most high school players actually know this.)
First I think every decent qb player I've met would know Updike, and also, I find his tournament questions to be pretty terrible too- What 4 letter word can be placed in front of all of these words; breathing, fly, fighter, place, etc.

A question like that does not have any academic value, and keegan uses them all the time. Anonymouse made an excellent point about categories too, we've seen questions labeled "mythical prophesy" and at that point you can buzz and say Cassandra and you're usually right.
Zach Hommer, Coach Priestley Charter School
New Orleans, LA
Chris Frankel
Wakka

Post by Chris Frankel »

laszlow wrote:
mrblinux wrote:For best players in the area - Michael Kettler (Gonzaga), Chris Ray (Richard Montgomery), Daniel Rowlands (Eleanor Roosevelt), maybe me, and I can't decide on who from TJ - not sure who is the strongest, maybe Sam Lederer.
What do you mean "maybe me"? Your name would have to be mentioned on any list of this kind, the scary part is that you're a junior. My short list would be exactly yours, but adding Dan Wright and Jacob Oppenheim from the TJ crowd and maybe Zach from Walter Johnson. Regarding TJ's strongest player, Dan's probably the best generalist, if his scoring titles are any indication, but Jacob and Sam have unbelievably deep knowledge in some areas that haven't been equaled by anyone on the HS circuit for the better part of three years. Harvard, Princeton, and UNC are VERY lucky to nab those three.
Sorry to butt in, but who's going where? I feel compelled to ask since Princeton was mentioned.
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Marcel Duchamp wrote:...and also, I find his tournament questions to be pretty terrible too- What 4 letter word can be placed in front of all of these words; breathing, fly, fighter, place, etc.

A question like that does not have any academic value, and keegan uses them all the time.
I disagree. These types of questions are great for teaching thinking skills. While knowledge is a significant part of the game, the game wouldn't be nearly the same without the buzzer. Being able to reason through a question or see where it's going faster than the next player is an unmistakable part of the game. The player who can do this best has a large advantage over others.

As to the categories, I can't speak. I don't recall ever seeing a Keegan category question, and I don't live in Montgomery County, so I don't get Quizmaster Challenge.
John Gilbert
Ellicott City, MD

trial and error
Lulu

These types of questions are great for teaching thinking skills. While knowledge is a significant part of the game, the game wouldn't be nearly the same without the buzzer. Being able to reason through a question or see where it's going faster than the next player is an unmistakable part of the game.
Pyramidal questions teach more useful skills. Listening for a pronoun or putting together facts garnered from an intelligent list is more effective than playing word games with phrases unrelated to academics.

Of course the game wouldn't be the same without the buzzer. That's why most formats focus on straight tossups or tossups with bonuses. If the buzzer didn't matter, we could do entire rounds with only worksheets.

Being able to reason through a question or see where it's going still takes place in longer, pyramidal questions, just at a slower pace. Longer questions minimize the advantage that players gain from having heard similar questions too many times.
blazer06
Lulu

Post by blazer06 »

Yes, Machel Duchamp, I think most people do not like the "What word goes in front of x, y, z, a, b, and c to form other words etc" questions. I remember one instance particulary unfondly(although it's not Keegan's questions, it's faux Blair A's captain), which was, "Which word goes in front of the following words to form other words or phrases: valley, grip, row, march, penalty, trap", to which my 'captain' answered "booby". </rant about captain>

But those questions dont have anything to offer, other than fast thinking and knowledge of idiom.

And also, you can often buzz after hearing the "category" which the question mentions at the beginning; on four letter pennames, you can pretty much buzz, say "Sake" and be right.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

blazer06 wrote:you can pretty much buzz, say "Sake" and be right.
[stickler]Actually, you would be wrong. It's Saki. Sake is how one generally spells the Japanese fermented rice drink in English characters. Saki is the penname of H. H. Munro.[/stickler]
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
bigmac
Lulu

Post by bigmac »

Longer questions minimize the advantage that players gain from having heard similar questions too many times.
I think trial and error touches on the fundamental problem with the use of Keegan questions in the region; they are overused. Sooner or later, if only through sheer repetition, teams get to a point where they are familiar with 90%+ of the clues in the questions.

The more substantive problems people have with the questions (lack of pyramidality, multiple choice, etc.) would not be nearly so annoying if we only heard them at one tournament (with randomly assigned matches?!) and on the TV show, where the later rounds get SLIGHTLY harder. I would even go so far as to say that the questions are ideally suited for developing players because they encourage people to learn giveaways and to start playing on questions that are substantially less misleading than It's Ac. It's a start.

The K2 overkill is worst in Beltway. The problems unique to that cannot be put on the question-writer because he never intended consecutive games to be played by the same teams to say nothing of playing on questions from 10 years ago. I would like to see the region go to some form of packet submission. The league used to do that but the question quality was SO low . . . Example: What Christmas song has a horse named Bob in it? "Jingle Bells" (Bells on Bob's tail) (heh?!) . . .that the TD/coaches decided to opt for the retired Quizmaster questions.

There are at least 4 good MoCo teams on this board; you could each write 4 extra gamesets without too much trouble. Talk to your coaches. At the very least it would give the players complaining about questions the experience of writing a few.
RM coach
jewtemplar
Wakka

Post by jewtemplar »

Chris Frankel wrote: Sorry to butt in, but who's going where? I feel compelled to ask since
Princeton was mentioned.
You get Jacob. I'm going to Harvard, Dan to UNC.
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

trial and error wrote:Pyramidal questions teach more useful skills. Listening for a pronoun or putting together facts garnered from an intelligent list is more effective than playing word games with phrases unrelated to academics.
I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree here. I freely (and obviously) agree that without knowledge we can't answer any questions. But, as long as quiz bowl remains a buzzer game, there will be two things required to receive points -- correct answer and opportunity to answer. You can know all the answers, but if you don't ever get yourself the opportunity to show it, you won't score any points.

I've mentioned previously in posts on this board that I think questions should promote buzzer speed as well as knowledge. (And I think Keegan's questions do that.) I'm not just talking about buzzer races here. I'm talking about being able to parse together and think about the information heard in a question as quickly as possible. Even pyramidal questions are typically a series of clues which often need to be pieced together to arrive at an answer. Given two students with equal (deep) knowledge, a player who takes a guess after two clues point in a direction is typically going to score better than a player who waits to hear a piece of information that makes him certain of the answer. Why? Because the player who takes the chance will usually be correct.

Ultimately this is a game and the goal is to win. As a coach, I teach my teams to use whatever strategy gives them the largest advantage in whatever format they play. And thinking quickly is a large part of that.
John Gilbert
Ellicott City, MD

bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Howard wrote:But, as long as quiz bowl remains a buzzer game, there will be two things required to receive points -- correct answer and opportunity to answer.
Howard wrote:I've mentioned previously in posts on this board that I think questions should promote buzzer speed as well as knowledge. (And I think Keegan's questions do that.)
I think the problem that a lot of us have with Keegan questions is that when two high caliber teams play, the number of buzzer races causes the knowledge factor to be nearly non existant. Of the 34(?) tossups in a round of Keegan, I would say that Blake, RM, WJ and Blair know an average of 33 of the 34 answers per round at least by the end of question. Furthermore, there are tons of buzzer race questions in every packet. This means that when these three teams play eachother, the game is essentially decided by buzzer speed too many times. I think DumbJacques brought up a good point with his example question:"December 10th sees in 1958 the publication of The Witches of Eastwick, a novel by what author of Rabbit Run?" You could be an expert on American literature and not get in on "The Witches of Eastwick" or "Rabbit Run" in that question just because one of the other seven people playing is able to buzz slightly faster than you.

And to get back on topic:
bigtrain wrote:First of all, I wouldn't necessarily put Richard Montgomery ahead of Blake.
I think I should clarify this statement: On pyramidal questions, these two teams are 1-1 against eachother with both games occuring at TJ II, however RM didn't have their full A team for either of those games. It's important to note that RM had more of their A team present when they lost to Blake then when they beat them. I think this fact is pretty telling as to the strength of the top DC teams. The outcome of a game is so variable between the top teams based upon the question content and a player's performance on that particular day. With only 20 tossups in an NAQT set, you really aren't determining which team has more knowledge (and has better buzzer speed), you are determining which team has a greater knowledge of that particular sampling of questions. I believe that the difference in skill between the top teams is so minute that it would probobaly take 200 questions to determine which team truely is better. Each game between two teams is a roll of slightly unfair die, one team could win the first 14 and lose the last one (like TJ last year against Gov).
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Howard, would you type up what you would believe to be example of this mysterious pyramidal Keegan question? Perhaps that could solve what seems to be a bit of a communication block between the pro-keegans (you) and the anti-keegans (everyone else who has posted). We're evidently having a problem seeing where you're coming from, and I think posting an example, or even several examples, of what you mean could help that.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

If I had any examples (which I don't) and Keegan's permission, I'd post. And I'm sorry I can't. The questions on which I have my experience are those at the off camera tourneys run in the fall and spring. Sadly, I won't be there next week at the freshman/sophomore event simply because too many of my students are taking driver's ed that day.

Most of the questions there will be an example of what I'm talking about. If you're going to be there, let me know what you think. What you seemed to be describing in terms of clues reminded me specifically of the It's Academic questions, and I recall thinking that Keegan's questions were clearer, deeper, and much better than those.

But, as I say, my experience is limited. I will say that I think Keegan's tournaments are the best tournaments I attend every year. I understand that I may not be in the majority here. And I understand that we've significant differences of opinion on what's important in a question. And that's fine.

Actually, if the questions on which you have experience are significantly different than those at the off-camera tourneys, I'd like to see some if have some you can show me. I'm sure you guys will see me around. And actually, I'd rather see them in person than have them posted, just for security reasons.
John Gilbert
Ellicott City, MD

DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

In a desperate effort to avoid turning this thread into a discussion of Keegan:

How is everyone's freshman/sophmore talent? Any pre-tournament predictions for the little ones?
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
blazer06
Lulu

Post by blazer06 »

1. RM A/C(Whatever the real name is)
uh....thats all I have so far. Which upperclassmen are going? I definitely am, my coach assigned me to "babysitting"
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Sharon, from RM B, and I will be "coaching" the b team. On the off chance that some of them are on this board, I won't call it babysitting. Actually, on the off chance that some of them are on this board, I will call it babysitting. Just out of spite.

I know ER has some sophmore talent, and there's that kid from centennial who won the worst neg award at PACE last year (shrek 2 for the russian five). And teams like WJ and Blake tend to muster up good teams. If you think I'm forgetting anyone, please let me know.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

I'd take a strong look at Centennial as well. They've had mass quantities of underclassmen coming along for a few years now.
John Gilbert
Ellicott City, MD

trial and error
Lulu

I'm looking forward to babysitting duty. We probably won't be coaching so much as feeding them facts before a tough round or otherwise bossing them around. I want to see RM A, but the teams have remarkably similar schedules, so I'd probably end up watching the same opponent twice.
Howard wrote:I'd take a strong look at Centennial as well.
DumbJaques wrote:there's that kid from centennial who won the worst neg award at PACE last year
How old is that Centennial kid? I feel like I've seen him around for several years.

How are the defending champions (Whitman)? Is any of '06 grooming Blair's underclassmen for quiz bowl fanaticism?
blazer06
Lulu

Post by blazer06 »

We have 5 fresh/sophs, but they could use a lot of training and practice to be good. I think it can be done, as '06(woot) Blair Quizbowl is a bunch of overachieving slavedrivers.
Apocrypha
Lulu

Post by Apocrypha »

trial and error wrote:
Howard wrote:I'd take a strong look at Centennial as well.
DumbJaques wrote:there's that kid from centennial who won the worst neg award at PACE last year
How old is that Centennial kid? I feel like I've seen him around for several years.
He's actually a sophomore just-turned 16, but he's been around for a while because his older brother was on our school's team for four years (1999-2003).
blazer06
Lulu

Post by blazer06 »

wow, blair totally bombed(2-4). congrats to RMA and Blake for being undefeated.

And also, wth, the Centennial kid's older than me??!
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Does anyone have results or a link to them?
John Gilbert
Ellicott City, MD

bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
BuzzerZen
Auron

DC area nat'l bids

Post by BuzzerZen »

What nationals are you (read: anyone close enough to DC to care about this thread) planning on attending? TJ will be at both NAQT and PACE.
mrblinux
Lulu

Post by mrblinux »

If all goes like it is now, Blake will be at NAQT!
No longer affiliated with Blake It's Ac team :D
blazer06
Lulu

Post by blazer06 »

blair, if we can get enough money, will be at both.
benthorot
Lulu

Post by benthorot »

If you are talking about supremacy in the whole DC area, then it is easy but somewhat negligible to forget about the District schools (Private and Public) who compete far less frequently.

Georgetown Day, Banneker, Gonzaga, National Cathedral, St. Anselm's, and St. Albans have all made the semifinals of It's Academic either in 2003-2004 or 2004-2005 (representing one-third of the last 18 semifinalists). And while they do not compete in many if any other events, they are still a strong component not to be taken lightly.

Perhaps soon these teams will assimilate themselves into the main circuits of competition. It would certainly make for stronger, more diverse fields.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Georgetown Day, Banneker, Gonzaga.....while they do not compete in many if any other events, they are still a strong component not to be taken lightly.
First of all, no one takes any of those teams lightly by any stretch of the imagination. Second, those teams compete very actively in events besides "It's Academic" (although Banneker has much less this year due to the lack of a coach). I know Gonzaga has competed as far away as Yale this year and GDS went to Princeton's tournament. These teams compete very actively off camara, as do most successful teams, whether you are aware of it or not.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Any predictions about tomorrow's It's Ac semi-final games?
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

TJ, Blair, and RM. RM will win by the smallest margin of the three.
tj b boy
Lulu

Post by tj b boy »

:siren: BREAKING NEWS :siren:
My dad just mentioned that TJ lost to Walter Johnson in their semifinal game. He was kind of distracted with being in a car accident (he's fine, everything's fine, insurance is awesome) and didn't mention any of the other results, if he even knew them.