ICT predictions

Old college threads.
Chris Frankel
Wakka

ICT predictions

Post by Chris Frankel »

All the acceptances are in, so I figure I'd start a prediction thread for fun. I'm basing this on my knowledge of the final bid list and on who will/won't be playing for certain teams, so obviously this should be based on who's actually coming as opposed to how you voted in the poll. Also I based my predictions based on my impressions/knowledges of how certain teams/players tended to do on NAQT as opposed to ACF.

For instance, Subash won't be with Chicago, I won't be playing with Princeton, Scott Francis and Charles Meigs are abroad and not playing in anything this semester, etc. If you have relevant information about the composition of other teams (e.g. whether Dom is on Illinois, who Berkeley, Michigan B, and Chicago B are sending, etc, or just your own team roster,) feel free to mention them. On that note, Princeton's team will be Lenny Kostovetsky, Jordan Boyd-Graber, Dan Benediktson, and Brad Klein, so no UG qualification.

That said:

D1 predictions:
1. Michigan A
2. Chicago A
3. Berkeley
4. Illinois A
5. Rochester
6. VCU/Weiner (UG)
7. Harvard (UG)
8. Stanford
9. UCLA
10. Michigan B if they keep the same team from SCT, maybe South Florida if they put their best possible team in, otherwise I'll guess Yale.

D1 UG predictions:
1. VCU/Weiner
2. Harvard
3. Chicago B (assuming they do it that way)

D2 predictions:
1. Michigan
2. Virginia, assuming a full strength D2 team
3. Swarthmore
4. Texas
5. Harding

I (or someone else) can start another thread like this for ACF once the field becomes clearer.
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I don't believe that Chicago B will be eligible for UG, as that team now contains David Press.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
your mom
Lulu

predictions

Post by your mom »

DI
1) Michigan A
2) Chicago A
3) Rochester A
4) Berkeley
5) Illinois

DI Undergrad
1) VCU

DII
1) Michigan
2) Swarthmore
3) Chicago
4) Texas
5) Virginia
6) Harding

What about top scorers?
ezubaric
Rikku

Post by ezubaric »

This might be the product of getting squashed by Berkeley for four years, but I think that they are being seriously underranked. A team of Jeff, David, Jerry, and either Paul or Brendan would be a serious contender for the top spot. I suppose it all comes down to rosters, but I would be very shocked if Berkeley did any worse than 3rd.

Given the depth and variability of very deep bench schools (Chicago, Michigan, Berkeley), I'd say that prognostication of the top spot is a little premature. Can anyone involved share expected rosters?
Jordan Boyd-Graber
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2018-present
UC Boulder, Founder / Faculty Advisor 2014-2017
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2010-2014
Princeton, Player 2004-2009
Caltech (Pasadena, CA), Player / President 2000-2004
Ark Math & Science (Hot Springs, AR), Player 1998-2000
Monticello High School, Player 1997-1998

Human-Computer Question Answering:
http://qanta.org/
zotlbusy
Lulu

Post by zotlbusy »

Is there a reason for everyone to be picking Michigan over Chicago, after Chicago beat Michigan in their sectional? Just based on the regional outcomes, it looks like Michigan should be favored over Chicago on ACF, while Chicago looks better than Michigan on NAQT. Those two schools and Berkeley are in my top three for both formats, but I have no idea which will win.
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Chicago's A team will be the same one from Sectionals.

-Seth
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

Virginia's D2 team is an interesting situation. We're playing our best freshman D1 if he decides to attend (he was D1's leading scorer at Sectionals), and hopefully expanding our barely-qualifying D2 team to four players for the big trip (only two of us could go to Sectionals, and we were at our streakiest). Alas, we're a real question mark. Here's my predictions:

D1
1. Chicago A
2. Michigan A
3. Berkeley
4. Illlinois
5. Rochester

D1 U
1. VCU (Weiner and friend)
2. Harvard
3-whatever. God only knows

D2
1. Swarthmore
2. Michigan (who is on this team, exactly?)
3. WashU
4. Florida
5. Virginia

That's funny. TJ and Gov grads lead all of my top picks. Coincidence? Perhaps... :roll:
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
suds1000
Wakka

Post by suds1000 »

To respond to any rumors that may have surfaced, the Illinois team at ICT will consist of myself (Sudheer Potru), Mike Sorice, Dave Kiang, and Dom Ricci, so we will not be eligible for the undergraduate title. Three-quarters of that team will also be playing at ACF Nationals, as the only change is that Kelly Tourdot (for those who don't recognize the name, she'll be the one beating you to every visual art question) will replace Dave.

Trying to pick overall order of finish in Division I is pretty tough at this point, just because NAQT questions can vary so much. All I know is that the top five teams will include Michigan, Chicago, Berkeley, Illinois, and Rochester (if they bring everyone, which I imagine they will). Yale, Weiner, and Harvard will round out the top playoff bracket, and Weiner will win the undergraduate title over Harvard. I'm going to pick Michigan to beat Harding in Division II due to more total powers and higher bonus conversion (albeit not by much).

Should be an awesome tournament.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I have no particular idea whether I'm going to win the undergraduate title or not, but I'd like to know if people have actual information on the tournament format or if it's just speculation/induction from past years. I seem to have the number six in my head for the number of teams that remain in the championship bracket going into Saturday afternoon under the format used recently, yet I've seen people naming eight for that. Any info I've missed here?
UFeng
Lulu

Post by UFeng »

There were eight in the championship bracket- the results from last year's NAQT nationals seem to support that.

http://www.naqt.com/Results/2004-ict-di ... dings.html
suds1000
Wakka

Post by suds1000 »

Actually, reading Frankel's original post, I'm now very curious to know who will be on Berkeley's team at ICT. If anyone knows, hearing it would be great.

Also, Frankel, are you coming up for ACF Nationals?
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

suds1000 wrote:Actually, reading Frankel's original post, I'm now very curious to know who will be on Berkeley's team at ICT. If anyone knows, hearing it would be great.
The Berkeley team will consist of Paul Lujan, Kenny Easwaran, David Farris, and myself. Regretably, due to financial and time concerns, Jeff Hoppes was not able to make ICT this year, but he will be coming to ACF Nationals. That team comprise Jeff, Kenny, Ray Luo, and myself.

Jerry
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
wturner
Lulu

Post by wturner »

I think Michigan's D2 team will be myself (Will Turner), Dave Rappaport, Nupur Lala, and Brad Lubin.
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

From what I've seen of the teams/rosters and the stats my predictions for ICT are:

D1 -

1. Chicago A
2. Michigan A
3. Illinois A
4. Berkeley
5. Rochester

D1 UG -

1. Weiner
2. Harvard

D2 -

1. Michigan
2. Swarthmore
3. Texas
4. Virginia
5. Harding
biggreen
Lulu

Post by biggreen »

NAQT has posted individual results for this year's SCT.