Illinois TERP mirror?

Old college threads.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Illinois TERP mirror?

Post by DumbJaques »

Hey, if this is really dead and you were planning on hosting this in the midwest, northeast, or south, why not make it a TERP mirror?
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Geringer
Rikku

Re: Trashtastrothree-Preliminary Announcement

Post by Geringer »

Per recommendation, I'm writing an academic set this semester (albeit in the IHSA format). T3 will probably get the rolling after I finish that around January.

@Chris: Craig Messner or David Garb would be the people to talk to about that. I'm only involved with the Illinois team on a staffing basis at this point.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Geringer wrote:Per recommendation, I'm writing an academic set this semester (albeit in the IHSA format). T3 will probably get the rolling after I finish that around January.

@Chris: Craig Messner or David Garb would be the people to talk to about that. I'm only involved with the Illinois team on a staffing basis at this point.
I've yet to find a single person who will admit to recommending to you that you write Fremd, so I'm curious who it was.

Apart from that, NIU really hopes TERP gets mirrored around here, but can't do anything to get it moving apart from expressing interest.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

styxman wrote:Apart from that, NIU really hopes TERP gets mirrored around here, but can't do anything to get it moving apart from expressing interest.
Speaking for myself, I'd like to see it mirrored around here as well, preferably in the Chicago area on Halloween weekend.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Come on, Chicago and/or Northwestern, you know you want to host this!
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

DumbJaques wrote:Come on, Chicago and/or Northwestern, you know you want to host this!
Actually, we might have something for 10/30 - following Lisle's mirror of SCOP Novice. Greg's looking into this.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

styxman wrote:
DumbJaques wrote:Come on, Chicago and/or Northwestern, you know you want to host this!
Actually, we might have something for 10/30 - following Lisle's mirror of SCOP Novice. Greg's looking into this.
I'd be down to play that.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
Dominator
Tidus

Re: Illinois TERP mirror?

Post by Dominator »

I would be very interested in this.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

By the way, how long would this take to play if it did happen?
Dr. Noah Prince

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)

The Schopenhauer Power Hour
Lulu

Post by The Schopenhauer Power Hour »

Dominator wrote:By the way, how long would this take to play if it did happen?
TERP is going to be twelve rounds with 7-9 line (powermarked) tossups, so it's designed to be played as a main event.
Logan Anbinder
University of Maryland '12
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I can't 100% say we'd go, but Minnesota would be interested in a midwestern mirror.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

OK, so word is that Lisle cannot host it after SCOP Novice. Halloween doesn't work for a high number of players, I'm sure; also, the Illinoisian ACF Fall situation means a lot of 6 hour drives on Nov 6, so that weekend doesn't look good for TERP either. Barring a U of I post-Earlybird revelation, I propose that, following SCOP Novice at Lisle, we all pack up and drive the twenty minutes to NIU for as much TERP as we can get in before they kick us out of the rooms (something that has not yet happened to us at NIU). If this intrigues you, post. We'll especially need mods, as the drive will likely deprive us of a high number of people, but it's the best option coming to my mind right now.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

styxman wrote:OK, so word is that Lisle cannot host it after SCOP Novice. Halloween doesn't work for a high number of players, I'm sure; also, the Illinoisian ACF Fall situation means a lot of 6 hour drives on Nov 6, so that weekend doesn't look good for TERP either. Barring a U of I post-Earlybird revelation, I propose that, following SCOP Novice at Lisle, we all pack up and drive the twenty minutes to NIU for as much TERP as we can get in before they kick us out of the rooms (something that has not yet happened to us at NIU). If this intrigues you, post. We'll especially need mods, as the drive will likely deprive us of a high number of people, but it's the best option coming to my mind right now.
Okay, but you guys better take me out to dinner like you said.

P.S.: It is NOT twenty minutes.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

jonah wrote:
styxman wrote:OK, so word is that Lisle cannot host it after SCOP Novice. Halloween doesn't work for a high number of players, I'm sure; also, the Illinoisian ACF Fall situation means a lot of 6 hour drives on Nov 6, so that weekend doesn't look good for TERP either. Barring a U of I post-Earlybird revelation, I propose that, following SCOP Novice at Lisle, we all pack up and drive the twenty minutes to NIU for as much TERP as we can get in before they kick us out of the rooms (something that has not yet happened to us at NIU). If this intrigues you, post. We'll especially need mods, as the drive will likely deprive us of a high number of people, but it's the best option coming to my mind right now.

Whoooo, okay, you're right - I must have misremembered, and it's more like an hour. I'm no longer as big a fan of this idea.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

styxman wrote:
jonah wrote:

Whoooo, okay, you're right - I must have misremembered, and it's more like an hour. I'm no longer as big a fan of this idea.
Yeah a lot closer to an hour drive. Still i'd like to play this at some point.
Mike Perovanovic
Wheaton North '09
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

I would be very interested in doing this.

Do we have any idea how many people are willing to do the NIU TERP party? If it's a relatively small number (like 4 teams worth), I can look into using IMSA facilities. I may have more luck with this than IMSANITY since it will be smaller and everyone will be "adults". If it works out*, it will save some commuting time, and allow people to stay within Chicagoland proper.

*I'm not optimistic but will try anyway if it's the best option.
Dr. Noah Prince

Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

Dominator wrote:I would be very interested in doing this.

Do we have any idea how many people are willing to do the NIU TERP party? If it's a relatively small number (like 4 teams worth), I can look into using IMSA facilities. I may have more luck with this than IMSANITY since it will be smaller and everyone will be "adults". If it works out*, it will save some commuting time, and allow people to stay within Chicagoland proper.

*I'm not optimistic but will try anyway if it's the best option.
I like this idea if possible.
Mike Perovanovic
Wheaton North '09
Susan

Post by Susan »

Is it possible to reserve rooms at NIU's Naperville campus? That could be another option for keeping things in the western suburbs if it's a possibility.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

myamphigory wrote:Is it possible to reserve rooms at NIU's Naperville campus? That could be another option for keeping things in the western suburbs if it's a possibility.
I LIKE IT. Looking into that now.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Naperville campus doesn't have rooms. Noah, can you look into IMSA rooms? The NIU site is all of a sudden back on again, so that's halfway between sites and probably our best option at the moment.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

I can definitely look into it, but I really need an idea of how many teams we're expecting. If this is just a SCOP survivors party it should be workable. If Chicago and Northwestern (and/or others) want to send teams it'll take more effort.

SO: Reply if you are interested in playing the Illinois TERP mirror and I'll assemble the field info.

Field
IMSA (me/Mike/?/?)
NIU (Brad, Kristin, Danielle Long, Laura Douglass)
Unnamed (Mike P, Sam Krc)

Free Agents
Charles Martin

Staffers
Greg D (potentially)

EDIT: I assume someone else has cleared this (potential) mirror with the TERP people. Confirm?
Last edited by Dominator on Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dr. Noah Prince

Papa's in the House
Tidus

Dominator wrote:EDIT: I assume someone else has cleared this (potential) mirror with the TERP people. Confirm?
I doubt it.

Put me up as a free agent for this if it happens. I will be driving up from Urbana, so I'd appreciate it if someone would post an estimated start time for this.
Charles Martin Jr.
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

The start time is (would be) heavily dependent on SCOP's end time. It looks like SCOP should have a pretty excellent cast of moderators, so that's a positive sign. I'm not sure how many rounds to expect at SCOP though. Brad? Greg?
Dr. Noah Prince

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Just to clarify: is this just a "play two rounds and call it a night" type event or are you actually planning on running the whole tournament (i.e., do you think rooms could be retained, would there be enough interest)? I would certainly not be interested in the former, but I MIGHT be interested in the latter.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Cheynem wrote:Just to clarify: is this just a "play two rounds and call it a night" type event or are you actually planning on running the whole tournament ...
I would love to play the whole thing out, but I'm not sure what other people's expectations are.
Dr. Noah Prince

Papa's in the House
Tidus

Dominator wrote:
Cheynem wrote:Just to clarify: is this just a "play two rounds and call it a night" type event or are you actually planning on running the whole tournament ...
I would love to play the whole thing out, but I'm not sure what other people's expectations are.
I'm assuming we'd play as many of the packets as possible. I've contacted Logan about mirroring this set in Illinois and am waiting on a response (which I will forward on to whomever would like to take on organizing this event). Provided Dr. Prince takes care of rooms and someone can obtain moderators (I don't know the moderator circuit in northern Illinois all that well), I'd be happy to take care of the rest of the logistics.
Charles Martin Jr.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

My thought is somewhere around playing the full set, but because I don't know how many packets are in the full set nor how many people are playing, I can't say we'll run the full set. If it's at IMSA, I imagine we'll get a high number of people from Lisle's SCOP mirror and will run near enough to a full tourney to warrant driving up from Urbana. Driving down from Minnesota just sounds like a considerably more arduous thing, so I won't put words in your mouth, Mike, but if ~8 rounds of trash is compelling enough to come down and you show up, I guarantee you I'll find some way to get you some games for your troubles if it all collapses at the end.

If this runs, NIU will have a team of 4 (myself, Kristin, Danielle Long, Laura Douglass).
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

I guess I will be a free agent if this is run unless I can recruit people.
Mike Perovanovic
Wheaton North '09
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

styxman wrote:My thought is somewhere around playing the full set, but because I don't know how many packets are in the full set nor how many people are playing, I can't say we'll run the full set.
The Schopenhauer Power Hour wrote:TERP is going to be twelve rounds with 7-9 line (powermarked) tossups, so it's designed to be played as a main event.
It's a little lengthy for a side-event.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Barring miraculous happenings, probably won't be coming to this.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Papa's in the House
Tidus

We have the go ahead to mirror this (on 10/30 or afterward) from Logan.
Charles Martin Jr.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Isaacbh wrote:
styxman wrote:My thought is somewhere around playing the full set, but because I don't know how many packets are in the full set nor how many people are playing, I can't say we'll run the full set.
The Schopenhauer Power Hour wrote:TERP is going to be twelve rounds with 7-9 line (powermarked) tossups, so it's designed to be played as a main event.
It's a little lengthy for a side-event.
Yeah, 12 rounds isn't going to happen, but for the field size I'm expecting we'll get, teams can expect to play either a full or double round robin with proper ACF finals.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Bonito
Lulu

Post by Bonito »

I'd potentially like to read for this. And while I don't plan on advertising this towards the novice high school teams, I will inform moderators of this opportunity. Lisle may have scattered veterans interested in playing, I'll let you know.

At slowest, Lisle SCOP shouldn't run past 3:45. Clean-up and stats may take longer than that.
Greg Dzuricsko; Lisle 2011
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Bonito wrote:At slowest, Lisle SCOP shouldn't run past 3:45. Clean-up and stats may take longer than that.
How do you compute "at slowest"? Is this "if ACF finals are necessary, some mods take 45 minutes per round, and some teams are 30 minutes late coming back from lunch"? If so, that would be quite an improvement over last weekend.

But still, ending around 4 would allow us to get back, get some food, and get a round in by 6 comfortably.
Dr. Noah Prince

Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

TERP@IMSA is a go.
Dr. Noah Prince

Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

Ok so Sam Krc and I will be on a team and are looking for free agents so message me or email me at cybermichaelp (at) juno. com if you are interested.

Edit: We added Charles Martin and possibly have a fourth person named Jon Coletti.
Mike Perovanovic
Wheaton North '09
The Weatherman
Kimahri

Post by The Weatherman »

Is this still on? If it is, and HS players are eligible, I would like to declare myself as a free agent. Trash happens to be my second best area (which is sacrilege, I know!) :roll: Please reply back with any info. Thank you!
Reese Johnson

Glenbard North High School '12
Varsity SchoBowl '08-Present
Captain '10-Present

Trash Expert
US Geography Aficionado
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

The Weatherman wrote:Is this still on? If it is, and HS players are eligible, I would like to declare myself as a free agent. Trash happens to be my second best area (which is sacrilege, I know!) :roll: Please reply back with any info. Thank you!
This already happened, man.
The Weatherman
Kimahri

Post by The Weatherman »

Wow, complete mental lapse on my part to not realize the date had passed... and a long space between responses. Are there any other possibilities for trash tourneys (even as a side event) in the Chicagoland area within the next couple months?
Reese Johnson

Glenbard North High School '12
Varsity SchoBowl '08-Present
Captain '10-Present

Trash Expert
US Geography Aficionado