Scheduling suggestion request

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Scheduling suggestion request

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'm helping with a tournament that is going to have 26 (possibly 27) teams and will be able to support 10 rooms at the same time. 15 packets are available for use, though I'm under the impression that about 10 would be preferred to be used. Any suggestions on the best way to maximize games played for teams?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: Scheduling suggestion request

Post by Stained Diviner »

With 26 teams, you could make two pools of 7 teams and two pools of 6 teams. It should be possible to play full round robins within the pools and give crossover matches for the six team pools within the first eight rounds, with each team playing six out of eight of those rounds. Let me know if this is a good enough idea to work out the details. With 27 teams, you would have three pools of 7 teams and one pools of 6 teams, and you could get through the full pool round robins in 8 rounds, but there would be no crossover matches, so the teams in the small pool would only play five preliminary matches. You would have to keep the afternoon pools pretty small to keep this tournament from going long.

If you use one (or two) pools of six teams and (three or) four pools of five teams, you should be able to get through those pools in six rounds, and you could then use a similar system in the afternoon. I'll wait to work out the details based on whether or not this seems like a good idea.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

You've probably figured this out on your own already, but if you have any last-minute drops to 25, running 5 brackets of 5 and then rebracketing would be about as perfect for your goals as possible.
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Westwon wrote:With 26 teams, you could make two pools of 7 teams and two pools of 6 teams. It should be possible to play full round robins within the pools and give crossover matches for the six team pools within the first eight rounds, with each team playing six out of eight of those rounds. Let me know if this is a good enough idea to work out the details. With 27 teams, you would have three pools of 7 teams and one pools of 6 teams, and you could get through the full pool round robins in 8 rounds, but there would be no crossover matches, so the teams in the small pool would only play five preliminary matches. You would have to keep the afternoon pools pretty small to keep this tournament from going long.
Would the prelims not take 7 rounds?

Basically, for the 6-team pools, the game against "team 7" becomes a second bye. During the two bye rounds, they scrimmage against teams from the other 6-team brackets. The games don't count, but they're games.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Because he only has ten rooms, you get a lot of extra byes that make the tournament less efficient.

A seven-team pool uses 21 matches, and a six-team pool uses 15 matches. Two of each is 72 matches, which means eight rounds, and playing the extra six crossover matches brings it up to 78 matches, which still means eight rounds.

One pool of six and four pools of five requires 55 matches without crossovers, which is six rounds. Two pools of six and three pools of five requires 60 matches, which is also six rounds.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Here's one way to do the first six rounds. B6 is the 27th team, so that team's matches can be turned into byes if you only have 26. If you drop down to 25 teams, you can use a different schedule to have each team play four matches in the first five rounds. In any case, you can reseed and repeat for the afternoon.

Round 1: A1vA4, A2vA5, B1vB4, B2vB5, C1vC4, C2vC5, D1vD4, D2vD5, E1vE4, E2vE5
Round 2: A3vA6, A1vA5, B3vB6, B1vB5, C1vC5, C3vC4, D1vD5, D3vD4, E1vE5, E3vE4
Round 3: A2vA6, A3vA4, B2vB6, B3vB4, C2vC3, C4vC5, D2vD3, D4vD5, E2vE3, E4vE5
Round 4: A1vA6, A2vA3, A4vA5, B1vB6, B2vB3, B4vB5, C1vC3, C2vC4, D1vD3, E1vE3
Round 5: A1vA3, A2vA4, A5vA6, B1vB3, B2vB4, B5vB6, C1vC2, D2vD4, D3vD5, E2vE4
Round 6: A1vA2, A3vA5, A4vA6, B1vB2, B3vB5, B4vB6, C3vC5, D1vD2, E1vE2, E3vE5

Because there are six preliminary rounds, you have two options.
Option A: Have a very good TD, good moderators in each room, no bouncebacks, and warn teams that it might be close to 1:00 before you get to lunch. This allows you to play six rounds before lunch.
Option B: Have a detailed plan worked out to quickly enter Round 6 scores and tell teams where to go for Round 7. This allows you to play Round 6 after lunch.

Also, if you can get two more rooms, you can play all of the above matches in five rounds.
David Reinstein
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

The tourney is up to 12 rooms available now, if anyone wants to slap a proposal together real quick.

Edit: Note that I think only some of the readers are available in the playoffs, though I do not know the exact number. I'm hoping I can get this soon.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Stained Diviner
Auron

I'm too busy to do it for the next 8 hours, but you can play with my schedule above to take the first three rounds of Pools A & B and compress them into two rounds, and take the last three rounds of Pools C, D, & E and compress them into two rounds, playing all of the matches in five rounds.
David Reinstein
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Westwon wrote:I'm too busy to do it for the next 8 hours, but you can play with my schedule above to take the first three rounds of Pools A & B and compress them into two rounds, and take the last three rounds of Pools C, D, & E and compress them into two rounds, playing all of the matches in five rounds.
Problem with it is that as of right now, we definitely have 27 teams (until, invariably, 3 or so of them drop).

Edit: I think the best solution as of right now is 3 brackets of 9.
Fred Morlan
Carambola!
Lulu

Post by Carambola! »

I was under the impression bracketing into even numbers eliminates the need for byes and therefore meets your goal of maximizing quizbowl played? If three schools do indeed drop 4 brackets of 6 would be best.
Jeffrey Li
Mission San Jose High '11
Berkeley '15

But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained.
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

laserphaser wrote:I was under the impression bracketing into even numbers eliminates the need for byes and therefore meets your goal of maximizing quizbowl played? If three schools do indeed drop 4 brackets of 6 would be best.
Except only 24 teams can play at a time.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

The Gambler, the Nun, and the Radio wrote:
laserphaser wrote:I was under the impression bracketing into even numbers eliminates the need for byes and therefore meets your goal of maximizing quizbowl played? If three schools do indeed drop 4 brackets of 6 would be best.
Except only 24 teams can play at a time.
4 x 6 = ????
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

You assume three are dropping. If that doesn't happen, then what?
Stained Diviner
Auron

What would you do after nine preliminary rounds?
David Reinstein
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I suggested a mini round robin of the top two from each of the brackets, with the game previously played between them counting (so 4 more rounds).

And Jeffrey, there's 27 teams.
Fred Morlan