Announcement: Bill Cullen Memorial Open (all game show set)

Old college threads.
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Announcement: Bill Cullen Memorial Open (all game show set)

Post by MicroEStudent »

This is an announcement for an all game show set that I will be creating for use this summer. Right now, I think that I could have this set ready for Sun 'n Fun if people wish to play. I am modeling this after Mike Cheyne's very well received All TV Set. Questions will average 3-4 lines pre-power marking, but there could be the occasional 5 line tossup.

This will feature questions on game shows, hosts, famous contestants, elements of game shows, memorable moments on game shows, fictional game shows (i.e. Celebrity Jeopardy on SNL), foreign game shows, common links between game shows, game shows in other pop culture (i.e. Jeopardy! in Groundhog Day) and possibly more!

Questions will be written with power marks and some questions may remain 15 points until the end due to obscurity. Also, due to the overlap of hosts, announcers and other elements, there is the possibility of having something be a clue in multiple questions. For example, toss-ups on Classic Concentration and Jeopardy! would likely mention Alex Trebek as host in both.

For this tournament, I am defining a "game show" is a show defined as a competition show where any of these apply:

1. Answering questions
2. Solving puzzles

For "reality" programs only:

3. "Reality" shows that are eligible for the Best Reality Competition Show Category of the Emmys, where performance, rather than voting determines a winner.

For "other" programs:

4. This will include programs that have "game show elements" but not in itself be a game show.

Categories 1 and 2 should be self explanatory, but 3 and 4 may not. For example for Category 3, "The Amazing Race" and "Fear Factor" would be considered a game show due to the primary goal being completing challenges, even though there is a social component. "The Bachelor", "Survivor", "The Apprentice", etc. would NOT be considered game shows because voting determines winners. Category 4 is there to provide for questions on comedy programs that parody game shows, or other programs that have elements similar to a game show but are not actually a game show. This would allow for questions on Celebrity Jeopardy from SNL as described upthread.

Let me know if you have any additional ideas for this and if you are hosting a tournament in August and would be interested in mirroring this.

EDIT: Included a fourth category
Last edited by MicroEStudent on Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathaniel Kane
RIT '09, '11 (BS Microelectronic Engineering, MS Microelectronic Engineering)
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Announcement: Bill Cullen Memorial Open (all game show set)

Post by Cheynem »

I've received Nate's permission to run at least a bit of this at VCU Open. And by "at VCU Open," I mean, I'll have "some of the" questions, I really want to play them, so I throw down the gauntlet to anyone who wishes to play them at some point that weekend, even if it's just at dinner or in a hotel room after the event. I will even play solo against a crowd and have them all be allowed multiple buzzes in order to make this happen.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

Yes, what Mike has said is correct. I hope to have ~100 questions or so ready for VCU Open and have a complete (total number of questions unknown) set for the next weekend.

In other news, Donald Taylor has signed on to freelance some questions become my co-writer.
Last edited by MicroEStudent on Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathaniel Kane
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

Progress is being made and we are up to ~40 questions. I have also edited the announcement on Donald's advice to include a fourth category of questions.
Nathaniel Kane
OntarioQuizzer
Lulu

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

Playing the first part of this set, I was quite impressed with its excellent quality; I really look forward to seeing the rest of this set come together.
Andy Saunders
formerly Brock University
(former) general helper, University of Guelph quiz bowl
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

I am aiming to "finish" this for TERP. If I have it done earlier, it will be available if people unable to reach a TERP site want to play.
Nathaniel Kane
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

There should be around 160 total questions for this tournament. The first 65 which were read at Jeff Goldblum and previously distributed plus another 100 or so new questions.

Like before, there are some questions that are worth 15 points throughout, and after suggestions from some at the Goldblum tournament, these questions will include 20-point superpowers.
Nathaniel Kane
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

We're not running a TERP mirror, but I'd love to have the questions to just play whenever they're done.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Bumped to say we are now running a TERP mirror and having the questions would be sweet.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

Cheynem wrote:Bumped to say we are now running a TERP mirror and having the questions would be sweet.
I'll send them out on Friday afternoon.
Nathaniel Kane
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

If any other TERP site other than Minnesota and Hamilton wants to run this, let me know. No fee for this event.

Questions will be sent out around 5 Eastern this Friday.
Nathaniel Kane
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

I may be sending these out a bit later than 5:00 today, but it will be out at some point tonight.
Nathaniel Kane
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

This set is now open STILL CLOSED for discussion.

I'd like to thank Donald Taylor for writing some of the questions and Mike Cheyne for some notes on the first set.

I'll clean up a couple of copy editing things and submit it to Mike Bentley for Wastebin, but if anyone has any comments on either set, go ahead and discuss e-mail me.

EDIT: Added mirror
Last edited by MicroEStudent on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nathaniel Kane
silverscreentest
Lulu

Post by silverscreentest »

I thought Chris Ray announced at TERP that the game show set would be played at the Minnesota Open mirror on November 21. You might want to delay public discussion a little longer.
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

silverscreentest wrote:I thought Chris Ray announced at TERP that the game show set would be played at the Minnesota Open mirror on November 21. You might want to delay public discussion a little longer.
I was unaware of this. Discussion will be delayed.
Nathaniel Kane
silverscreentest
Lulu

Post by silverscreentest »

Go ahead with the discussion. I just heard from Chris Ray that the Game Show side event will not be held at the Maryland Mirror of the Minnesota Open.
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

silverscreentest wrote:Go ahead with the discussion. I just heard from Chris Ray that the Game Show side event will not be held at the Maryland Mirror of the Minnesota Open.
Scratch that, I guess Chris put in the MO mirror announcement the possibility of this tournament.
Nathaniel Kane
gregpweinstein
Lulu

Post by gregpweinstein »

I heard there was no fee to mirror this tournament. Could I get the packets sent to my email at [email protected] for my TERP mirror tomorrow? thanks!
Mr. Charles Montgomery Burns, "I cant be responsible for what my goons are ordered to do."
Greg "Lover of red-headed women, The Simpsons, and various other stuff" Weinstein
Berry College 2007-?
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

NOW discussion is open.

Packets have been sent to Mike Bentley for inclusion on Wastebin.
Nathaniel Kane