GSAC XVIII at Maggie Walker (12/4/10) - Seeking Mirrors

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Lightinfa
Wakka

GSAC XVIII at Maggie Walker (12/4/10) - Seeking Mirrors

Post by Lightinfa »

This is an announcement for Governor's School Academic Competition (GSAC) XVIII, which will take place on December 4, 2010 at Maggie L. Walker Governor's School in Richmond, VA. This tournament was written by members of the Maggie Walker team and will be edited by Tommy Casalaspi and myself. A field cap will be established once we have an idea of how many staffers we will have. Feel free to either contact me at gsacdirector AT gmail DOT com or roach_JR AT comcast DOT net or post any questions/comments.

Registration Survey is now up at:
http://www.quia.com/sv/437590.html

Our distribution is:

4/4 Lit
4/4 Science
4/4 History
3/3 RMP
2/2 Arts
1/1 Social Science
1/1 Trash
1/1 Geography

Fee structure:

First team: $60
Each additional team: $50
Functional Buzzer Discount: $10
Travel Discount (200+ miles traveled): $10
Staff Discount (please only volunteer a competent staffer): $10

Mirrors:
12/18 ADVANTAGE @ New Trier
2/5 Varsity @ Alpharetta High School, GA
2/12 Mort Walker Invitational @ Missouri
2/19 @ St. Joseph's, NJ
2/19 @ University of Minnesota
3/26 College Heights Academic Tournament @ WKU

FIELD (37):
Cosby (2 teams, 1 buzzer)
Dorman (2 teams, 2 buzzers)
Georgetown Day School (2 teams, 3 buzzers)
Charlottesville (2 teams, 1 buzzer)
King's Fork (2 teams, 1 buzzer)
Henrico (1)
Freeman (1 team, 2 buzzers, 1 moderator)
Caesar Rodney (1 team, 1 buzzer, 1 moderator)
Raleigh Charter (5 teams, 3 buzzers)
New Kent (3 teams, 2 buzzers)
St. Anselm's (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Thomas Jefferson (4 teams, 1 buzzer)
James Monroe (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Richard Montgomery (1 team, 1 buzzer, 1 moderator)
Enloe (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Clover Hill (2 teams, 2 buzzers)
Spartanburg (1 team, 1 buzzer, 1 moderator)
Cave Spring (1 team, 2 buzzers)
St. Anne's-Belfield School (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Robinson (2)
Kellenberg (1 team, 3 buzzers)

Waitlist:

Interest:
Charter
Walter Johnson
Last edited by Lightinfa on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 57 times in total.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
jonah
Auron

Re: GSAC XVIII at Maggie Walker (12/11/10)

Post by jonah »

New Trier will be mirroring this tournament on December 18. Announcement sometime fairly soon.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

We are thinking of moving the date of this tournament to December 4. We are aware that the 4th is an SAT date, but since our building will be more free on that date and we believe that we will be able to attract a more competitive field we believe it would be more beneficial. If anyone has any objections to this change, feel free to state them- this change is not set in stone.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

We would love to come to this tournament again this year, as long as it doesn't conflict with a UD- or Charter-run tournament. I'm not sure if the date change will conflict with that yet but i'll try to find out from one of the UD kids.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

According to Todd, this is one of the dates Whitman was looking at for its tournament but there shouldn't be any problem with looking at the 11th instead.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

We are hoping to host our tournament on either the 4th or 11th of December, which might might cause a problem here. Then again we might not be able to host the tournament at all due to the new administration's policy on competitive clubs.
Joe
Delaware
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Andrew Jackson's Compatriot wrote:We are hoping to host our tournament on either the 4th or 11th of December, which might might cause a problem here. Then again we might not be able to host the tournament at all due to the new administration's policy on competitive clubs.
Well with the 27th of November also open at the moment, that's three weekends in a row that ought to be able to accommodate GSAC, your tournament, and Whitman's, although if worst comes worst I believe Delaware Fall Open has been held on the day of GSAC before without too much conflict between the two fields (exception Caesar Rodney).
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Lightinfa wrote:
Andrew Jackson's Compatriot wrote:We are hoping to host our tournament on either the 4th or 11th of December, which might might cause a problem here. Then again we might not be able to host the tournament at all due to the new administration's policy on competitive clubs.
Well with the 27th of November also open at the moment, that's three weekends in a row that ought to be able to accommodate GSAC, your tournament, and Whitman's, although if worst comes worst I believe Delaware Fall Open has been held on the day of GSAC before without too much conflict between the two fields (exception Caesar Rodney).
Confirm that this happened last year.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Auron

Lightinfa wrote:
Well, that's cool, but the 27th is the Saturday in the middle of Thanksgiving Break, and i can't remember the last high school to host a competition during that time. Stick with one of those first two weekends in December.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:
Lightinfa wrote:
Well, that's cool, but the 27th is the Saturday in the middle of Thanksgiving Break, and i can't remember the last high school to host a competition during that time. Stick with one of those first two weekends in December.
Whoops that is correct, apologies (although I personally wasn't looking at the 27th). Anyway, it looks like there aren't too many issues with the 4th, so barring something major coming up tonight the building will be reserved for the 4th tomorrow.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Re: NEW DATE: GSAC XVIII at Maggie Walker (12/4/10)

Lightinfa wrote:

Whoops that is correct, apologies (although I personally wasn't looking at the 27th). Anyway, it looks like there aren't too many issues with the 4th, so barring something major coming up tonight the building will be reserved for the 4th tomorrow.
This sounds good. I'll try to book our building for the 11th then.
Joe
Delaware
Eric Huff
Wakka

Post by Eric Huff »

Dorman would like to register two teams.
Eric Huff

National History Bee (eric AT historybee.com)
ACE Quizbowl Camps (eric AT acequizbowlcamp.com)
Former Head Coach, Dorman High School (2001-2012)

http://www.historybee.com
http://www.acequizbowlcamp.com
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Eric Huff wrote:Dorman would like to register two teams.
Registration emails will be going out tomorrow, apologies for the delay.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Lightinfa wrote:

This sounds good. I'll try to book our building for the 11th then.

We couldn't get the building for the 11th but we got it on the 18th so it doesn't conflict with your tournament
Joe
Delaware
felgon123
Lulu

Post by felgon123 »

NEW INFORMATION:

This tournament was written (I use past tense because it is already done) by members of the Maggie Walker team, namely JR Roach (history and geography) and myself (other stuff), and head edited by myself. The set consists of twelve packets, two of which are designated for the finals and are accordingly of higher difficulty. All teams will be guaranteed at least ten games. This tournament was written with the goal of accessibility to lower level teams while simultaneously providing for exciting, competitive games between elite teams, and we hope to attract teams from across the country to play on this excellent set of questions. One problem from past GSACs which we made sure to address was the presence of overly difficult outliers. In addition, all questions were held to strict length limits: 5-7 lines in Times New Roman 12pt font with 1” margins for tossups, 2 lines for bonus parts.
Tommy
UVA '15
Harvard...let's say '23
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

felgon123 wrote:NEW INFORMATION:

This tournament was written (I use past tense because it is already done) by members of the Maggie Walker team, namely JR Roach (history and geography) and myself (other stuff), and head edited by myself. The set consists of twelve packets, two of which are designated for the finals and are accordingly of higher difficulty. All teams will be guaranteed at least ten games. This tournament was written with the goal of accessibility to lower level teams while simultaneously providing for exciting, competitive games between elite teams, and we hope to attract teams from across the country to play on this excellent set of questions. One problem from past GSACs which we made sure to address was the presence of overly difficult outliers. In addition, all questions were held to strict length limits: 5-7 lines in Times New Roman 12pt font with 1” margins for tossups, 2 lines for bonus parts.
And since the Set is now written, we are looking for mirrors for this set throughout the year. Currently the only scheduled mirror is ADVANTAGE at New Trier in Illinois on 12/18/10. Mirror fee is $10 per team, so if you would like to mirror this tournament or have any questions about doing so, please contact me at the email addresses in the initial post.

Also, the registration survey is up which means registration may now begin.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Field updates are going in the opening post.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Lightinfa
Wakka

Re: GSAC XVIII at Maggie Walker (12/4/10) - Seeking Mirrors

Post by Lightinfa »

10 teams so far, we are going to be tentatively capping the field at 32 teams until we get a better idea of the moderator situation. As that situation develops we will hopefully be moving the field cap up.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Field is up to 14 teams.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Auron

We're thinking of coming to this. I'm not sure if we can do three December tournaments in a row... and i think i would like to make the trip to Richmond on this weekend on these great questions than the trip to UMCP the next weekend on NAQT questions (which we're playing also on 12-18).

So, i'm fairly sure we want to come to this. Mark us as interested and i'll get us registered soon as long as i don't hear massive objections from the A Team.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

We're about a month away from this tournament please register!

Also, we have another mirror now at Western Kentucky University on 3/26
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Auron

I submitted our sign up on that website.

We'll have one team, buzzer, and moderator (myself).
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:I submitted our sign up on that website.

We'll have one team, buzzer, and moderator (myself).
Excellent, thanks!
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
yellow7206
Wakka

Post by yellow7206 »

Sorry, Longfellow is pulling out.
Eugene Huang, King of 109
Coach, Longfellow MS
Langley HS, 1989
Longfellow MS, 1985
Spring Hill Elem. 1983
QOHS
Lulu

Post by QOHS »

Quince Orchard may want to attend. Consider this interest. Should be able to know by next week.
Rev. Joshua M. Schuman
Quince Orchard High School
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Charter might be sending one team. What time would the opening meeting be?
Joe
Delaware
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Andrew Jackson's Compatriot wrote:Charter might be sending one team. What time would the opening meeting be?
Registration would most likely be from 8-8:45 although that is certainly not set in stone.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Field is up to 25 teams- 7 spots left.

EDIT: Make that 5 spots left- we are revising field cap down to 30 for the moment pending the acquisition of more staff.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

WJ is interested. Expect a more definitive answer within the week.
Kuo-Kai Chin
Walter Johnson High School '11
Harvard University '15
Stanford University School of Medicine '19
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

We are moving the field cap up to 36 as we have obtained more staffers.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Auron

This field is starting to look pretty ridiculous. Glad we're choosing to come! Have a good Thanksgiving holiday and we'll see you in a couple weeks.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

As of this morning we have one spot left in the field. After we hit 36 we'll start a waitlist with the outside chance of raising the field to 42 teams if the waitlist gets large enough/we can figure out a workable schedule.

EDIT:
@Mr. C - thanks, you too!
Last edited by Lightinfa on Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Bloodwych
Wakka

Post by Bloodwych »

Quince Orchard will not be attending this.
🚿
Quince Orchard HS '11
Maryland - College Park '15

Well, you built up a world of magic
Because your real life is tragic
Yeah, you built up a world of magic
yellow7206
Wakka

Post by yellow7206 »

Just registered one team this afternoon.
Coach, Longfellow MS
Langley HS, 1989
Longfellow MS, 1985
Spring Hill Elem. 1983
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

yellow7206 wrote:Just registered one team this afternoon.
Collegiate dropped so still one spot.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

For purposes of full disclosure, I will inform you that RM will be sans me. I'll be en route to California.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

With the registration of Spartanburg our field is now full at 36. If we get 6 teams on the waitlist then we'll consider moving it up to 42.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

We have moved field cap up to 40- we would like to get to 42 teams if possible so please register if you haven't already.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Kellenberg would like to grab a spot - one team, 3 buzzers. We will have a definite answer by Monday evening.
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Raleigh Charter dropped to 5 teams, putting us at 40, so there's room for two more teams! We will be keeping registration open until Friday, but an email has been sent out to currently registered teams giving more tournament day info.
Last edited by Lightinfa on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Ocean Lakes has dropped- one more registration would be very helpful.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
yellow7206
Wakka

Post by yellow7206 »

Sorry, Longfellow has to drop as well.
Coach, Longfellow MS
Langley HS, 1989
Longfellow MS, 1985
Spring Hill Elem. 1983
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Today is the last day to register- we would hate to have to be stuck at 38 teams.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

TJ B 375, Dorman A 290
TJ B: James Bradbury 5 0 50, Daniel Hothem 4 1 35, Raynor Kuang 1 0 10, Graham Lobel 1 0 10
Dorman A: Sam Abrams 4 0 40, Saif Alimohamed 2 2 10, Mariya Mohamed 3 2 20, Robert Lawson 0 0 0
Bonuses: TJ B 11 270 24.55, Dorman A 9 220 24.44
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Stats through round 5. That link will be updated after the prelims.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Did you have six teams drop?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Charbroil wrote:Did you have six teams drop?
All too true. Full prelim stats are now up at the previous link.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

St Anselm's knocks off Dorman A 355-150 in the finals
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

George,

What format was used in the playoffs? And, any info/details on 3rd-8th place while we await final stats? Thanks.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Edward Powers wrote:George,

What format was used in the playoffs? And, any info/details on 3rd-8th place while we await final stats? Thanks.
Playoffs was two brackets of four consisting of the top two teams from each bracket. 3rd is TJ A, 4th Richard Montgomery, 5th TJ B, 6th Kellenberg, 7th Dorman B, 8th Enloe.

Prelim stats remain at the link above.
Playoff stats
Combined stats
Last edited by Lightinfa on Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011